Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone using Provenance to play games on their ATV with an iCade controller?

I really want a controller to play SNES stuff but I hate all the big Xbox/PS style controllers. The smaller ones like SNES30 are really appealing but they're iCade and not MFI so I'm not sure how well they'll work.

Steelseries Stratus MFI looks really good but apparently it stopped working in iOS10 so I'm not sure if it's a good buy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

BGrifter posted:

You know they make board books for really little kids right? Big thick cardboard pages that can't be ripped.

My 2 year old can show you many board books that prove you wrong. :)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Martytoof posted:

Anyone using Provenance to play games on their ATV with an iCade controller?

I really want a controller to play SNES stuff but I hate all the big Xbox/PS style controllers. The smaller ones like SNES30 are really appealing but they're iCade and not MFI so I'm not sure how well they'll work.

Steelseries Stratus MFI looks really good but apparently it stopped working in iOS10 so I'm not sure if it's a good buy right now.

iCade support in Provenance is completely broken atm and it never worked on AppleTV. You're stuck with MFi until it's fixed or properly supported. I've been using the steel series Nimbus which is OK but not optimal for retro games.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, that's what I was worried about.

I can't stand the larger controllers but I guess it's better than nothing.

Thanks for confirming though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any point in pursuing jail breaking a Apple TV 4?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

No. Just side load

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like a Plex search is certainly possible. What they showed at WWDC was asking Siri requests like, "search Netflix for Spider-Man" or "search HBO Go for Game of Thrones", and what it did was launch the respective app, go to the search page within it and automatically enter the query.

If Plex can register, "search Plex for whatever" and code for it to go to use the designated search function which is already built into the app, then Apple doesn't need to see your :filez:

Your Pirate Bay movies are never going to show up in tvOS universal search, or the glossy homepages it makes for each film/show. You aren't going to say, "Siri, show me Harrison Ford movies from the 80s" and see your goddamn De-Specialized Edition of Empire Strikes Back in there. But if Apple makes a "launch app and run search" command, they don't need to.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 15, 2016

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Craptacular! posted:

I feel like a Plex search is certainly possible. What they showed at WWDC was asking Siri requests like, "search Netflix for Spider-Man" or "search HBO Go for Game of Thrones", and what it did was launch the respective app, go to the search page within it and automatically enter the query.

If Plex can register, "search Plex for whatever" and code for it to go to use the designated search function which is already built into the app, then Apple doesn't need to see your :filez:

Your Pirate Bay movies are never going to show up in tvOS universal search, or the glossy homepages it makes for each film/show. You aren't going to say, "Siri, show me Harrison Ford movies from the 80s" and see your goddamn De-Specialized Edition of Empire Strikes Back in there. But if Apple makes a "launch app and run search" command, they don't need to.

Now that would be a hell of a good reason to jail break it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any of you guys check out PlayStation Vue that launched today? It's all new to me as I have it had live TV for the past 5+ years. It seems cool, though. A lot of guides and functionality to learn, but the trial period is nice of them to offer to see how it works. I may stay with it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hell yes! PlayStation Vue *just* dropped for the 4th gen AppleTV today. I can *finally* ditch my FireTV and its hideous interface. Everything I need for TV is now on the Apple TV.

I actually started using the PS4 version of the app, despite how much using the game controller sucks as a remote. That's how much I hated the FireTV interface. Now all is right in the world.

E; God drat it. fb. :argh:

Feenix posted:

Any of you guys check out PlayStation Vue that launched today? It's all new to me as I have it had live TV for the past 5+ years. It seems cool, though. A lot of guides and functionality to learn, but the trial period is nice of them to offer to see how it works. I may stay with it.
It's not necessarily the cheaper option than on-contract cable (I'm paying for the $75 plan - all channels including HBO, Showtime and broadcast channels). But it's month to month, and I make enough that I can use it on principle to show the cable company a middle finger. I'm really hoping that we move towards unbundling so I can ala carte my channels, but that's more on the content providers than the delivery company.

A couple of caveats:
1 - No Viacom channels. No Nickelodeon or Comedy Central right now. That could change in the future, but they just dropped them last week when negotiations broke down with Viacom.

2 - The HBO option is actually an HBO NOW plan. You use your playstation account to set up an HBO Now account if you want to watch outside of the PS Vue app.

3 - Data caps. If you have data caps you'll want to be careful. I watch a moderate amount of TV. Mostly sports and a few hours in the evenings. Saturday is currently my heavy viewing (college football 10AM until about 11 PM). I have a 1TB cap with an option for unlimited for $50 more. But so far so good. I've averaged about 650GB for the last few months. That includes loving around on the Internet, working from home over VPN for about 50%+ of the week, Netflix, HBO NOW, and my watching habits.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 17, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah the Data Cap is actually the only thing I didn't think if. Also 1tb here. But I download a LOT of shows and PS4 games and whatnot.

Good to know...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Yeah the Data Cap is actually the only thing I didn't think if. Also 1tb here. But I download a LOT of shows and PS4 games and whatnot.

Good to know...

If you have Comcast/Xfinity, it's $50 to get unlimited data (over the Internet cost). So keep an eye on it. Your Xfinity account page has a meter that I think is updated daily. Otherwise your overage is $10 per 100GB. And I think they just charge you - no warnings.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flosofl posted:

If you have Comcast/Xfinity, it's $50 to get unlimited data (over the Internet cost). So keep an eye on it. Your Xfinity account page has a meter that I think is updated daily. Otherwise your overage is $10 per 100GB. And I think they just charge you - no warnings.

Two initial free grace period months, but yes. And yes I may just pay the overage if need be since work reimburses me for the basic internet.

[Edit] well poo poo it looks like I went over in October. 1082gb.

Ain't that some poo poo...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 18, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Two initial free grace period months, but yes. And yes I may just pay the overage if need be since work reimburses me for the basic internet.

Another thing to look into, depending on where you live, is an HD antenna + HD HomeRun Connect.

I have that with the Channels app so I can grab broadcast channels OTA. Quality is way better than cable or Internet delivery since it's an uncompressed feed. It's fantastic for the rare live sports event on broadcast channels.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flosofl posted:

Another thing to look into, depending on where you live, is an HD antenna + HD HomeRun Connect.

I have that with the Channels app so I can grab broadcast channels OTA. Quality is way better than cable or Internet delivery since it's an uncompressed feed. It's fantastic for the rare live sports event on broadcast channels.

Probably not the thread for extended discussion on the matter but I like this idea save for the fact that I've tried "good" antennas before only to have lovely reception in northern Seattle. Not even downtown where there are obstructions, but the burbs.

[Edit] so one thing I'd like local channels for is Seahawks games, but it looks like most of my local channels in Seattle market are just "on-demand" channels. I wonder if I can a la carte a channel in Vue that would get me NFL stuff...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 18, 2016

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Did anyone mention this?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/17/playstation-vue-launches-on-apple-tv-today/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Nope. Good find!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Re: Vue

I'm not going to lie, I didn't subscribe necessarily focused on football, but I was hoping to see some Seahawks games.
Thusly, I got the 2nd tier package, which includes NFL network. I tried it on my phone around dinner and got some splash screen about "your Vue is fine, don't worry, but we aren't gonna show this." Then I remembered that Verizon has exclusive *phone* rights to NFL games.

I shrugged and tried later on my ATV4.

Same ducking message. So I can't watch NFL on my ATV4 either??!

gently caress you. Thanks for not mentioning that at all when I choose this tier of package

Kinda disappointed about that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Re: Vue

I'm not going to lie, I didn't subscribe necessarily focused on football, but I was hoping to see some Seahawks games.
Thusly, I got the 2nd tier package, which includes NFL network. I tried it on my phone around dinner and got some splash screen about "your Vue is fine, don't worry, but we aren't gonna show this." Then I remembered that Verizon has exclusive *phone* rights to NFL games.

I shrugged and tried later on my ATV4.

Same ducking message. So I can't watch NFL on my ATV4 either??!

gently caress you. Thanks for not mentioning that at all when I choose this tier of package

Kinda disappointed about that.

I watched the game on NBC tonight (it was on NBC/NFL/Twitter tonight for reasons I do not know), but I have watched Thursday night games this season on Vue with the NFL network. I can't imagine it being blacked out due to region since the Seahawks weren't even playing.

I'd drop their support center a line about that.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

flosofl posted:

I watched the game on NBC tonight (it was on NBC/NFL/Twitter tonight for reasons I do not know), but I have watched Thursday night games this season on Vue with the NFL network. I can't imagine it being blacked out due to region since the Seahawks weren't even playing.

I believe twitter has the streaming rights to at least some if not al of the Thursday night games.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flosofl posted:

Maybe. But what I fear is that iPhone and AppleTV are being considered 'same' here and being not allowed to stream games. What device was it you watched Vue on?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Maybe. But what I fear is that iPhone and AppleTV are being considered 'same' here and being not allowed to stream games. What device was it you watched Vue on?

Oh. Right. That was on the PS4.

I'll give it go next Thursday.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flosofl posted:

Oh. Right. That was on the PS4.

I'll give it go next Thursday.

Someone in tbePS Blog post announcing it said they had no problems watching that channel on their ATV so who knows.....

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gret posted:

I believe twitter has the streaming rights to at least some if not al of the Thursday night games.

Yep, I've streamed a few games on Twitter. Works surprisingly well, just don't pull open the live tweets panel on the side if you have kids watching.

But it's only random Thursday games, which is frustrating since I don't have NFL network. Oh well, Thursday night games suck anyway.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
How the responsiveness of the Vue app? And general design?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok, this morning NFL Network worked on my ATV4 > PSVue. So that's cool I guess. :)

VUE: responsiveness is decent.... I think the design is overly clunky and not at all Apple-y. But I'm not sure how you do it better with so much to convey. Still I am certain it could be better.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Not a huge fan of navigating the Guide.

I really don't understand why they decided to flip the axes in the guide from what I've normally seen in general (it's that way across all devices). The channels are on the horizontal axis so you have to swipe left and right to look at other channels as opposed to up and down in every other guide I've seen (except for when I tested Sling - that one is even stupider). And it's super sensitive to anything other than a perfectly horizontal swipe, so you may find yourself swiping forward or backward a couple hours in the guide.

It's more responsive than the fireTV (which I can finally retire), the PS4 still loads the program guide instantly as opposed to the slight lag on the aTV to initially load the guide. But everything is super responsive.

It's also profile aware, which is nice. That means I can have my main profile with my favorites for general channels, and my sports profile for my sports-only favs. And it puts all your favs together at the beginning of the guide.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 19, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Isn't the TV guide that we all know and love copyrighted by someone? It was brought up in the Plex thread as they don't use the standard layout either. Maybe Sony didn't want to pay licensing fees and changing the axes is enough to get out of it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Isn't the TV guide that we all know and love copyrighted by someone? It was brought up in the Plex thread as they don't use the standard layout either. Maybe Sony didn't want to pay licensing fees and changing the axes is enough to get out of it.

I thought you couldn't copyright how data is presented, only the data itself. But I'm not an IP lawyer, so that could be right.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix, figured out your NFL issue.

If you have NFL Network but it's on a local broadcast channel it blacks out the NFL Network for the broadcast area. Since you mentioned the Seahawks, I'm guessing you're not in one of the regions Sony negotiated broadcast channels with their service, so your only option was broadcast, NBC Sports app or Twitter.

Next time check to see if it's on a broadcast channel. Some apps like NBC/FOX/CBS Sports let you watch live sports without an account. I think ABC you would be out of luck, since ESPN handles their sports broadcasts.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flosofl posted:

Feenix, figured out your NFL issue.

If you have NFL Network but it's on a local broadcast channel it blacks out the NFL Network for the broadcast area. Since you mentioned the Seahawks, I'm guessing you're not in one of the regions Sony negotiated broadcast channels with their service, so your only option was broadcast, NBC Sports app or Twitter.

Next time check to see if it's on a broadcast channel. Some apps like NBC/FOX/CBS Sports let you watch live sports without an account. I think ABC you would be out of luck, since ESPN handles their sports broadcasts.

So basically, if my options for network channels seem to all be ONDEMAND versions, and all I want to do is watch Seahawks games. I'm essentially poo poo out of luck on VUE, it sounds like. (I think right now Seahawks play on FOX or CBS... and I have neither on Vue. (Just On Demand versions.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

So basically, if my options for network channels seem to all be ONDEMAND versions, and all I want to do is watch Seahawks games. I'm essentially poo poo out of luck on VUE, it sounds like. (I think right now Seahawks play on FOX or CBS... and I have neither on Vue. (Just On Demand versions.)

Grab the Fox Sports and CBS Sports apps. I'm pretty sure you don't need an account to watch live sports. I know you don't for the NBC Sports app.

There's also this:

quote:

Users who subscribe to PlayStation Vue’s Core or Elite plans will have the option to sign up for NFL RedZone as an add-on for $39.99 for the entire regular season games. Every Sunday afternoon, the NFL RedZone channel brings fans every touchdown and all the big moments from every game across the NFL.

But you don't get the whole game. Redzone flips from game to game when teams are actually in the Redzone or replay recent scoring drives/big plays that happen within last few minutes.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 19, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for all the good advice. The Fox and CBS Sports Apps are probably my best bet. I'm not hardcore for Redzone justification... I just like watching the Seahawks.

[edit] Looks like I need Fox and it looks like that is FoxSportsGo and it looks like it needs a provider.
'Thanks anyway, though!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 19, 2016

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Single-sign-on is live on the new Apple TV, no software update required.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

Single-sign-on is live on the new Apple TV, no software update required.

It's been live for a while but only had two cable partners it worked with. Has that been expanded?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's been live for a while but only had two cable partners it worked with. Has that been expanded?

Yeah. Now there's nine. In the US at least.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

And it's none of the major players. No AT&T or Verizon or Comcast or even Charter or TimeWarner or Cox. I hope that's not a sign that all the major players want nothing to do with helping people watch tv without cable.

(DirecTV is on there though, which is owned by AT&T but a Uverse login won't work, you have to have the new DirecTV now thing)

Sling and DirectTV Now are good options for cord cutters and they work just fine through single sign on. Hopefully PlayStation Vue gets added to single sign on since I've heard good things about that service. I'm just worried that all the major players (who just so happen to own the major content producers) not being on board means we will see pushback preventing the online services from getting as much content as actual cable does. AT&T having a foothold via DirecTV does ease my fears a little bit though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SaturdayKnight posted:

And it's none of the major players. No AT&T or Verizon or Comcast or even Charter or TimeWarner or Cox. I hope that's not a sign that all the major players want nothing to do with helping people watch tv without cable.

(DirecTV is on there though, which is owned by AT&T but a Uverse login won't work, you have to have the new DirecTV now thing)

Sling and DirectTV Now are good options for cord cutters and they work just fine through single sign on. Hopefully PlayStation Vue gets added to single sign on since I've heard good things about that service. I'm just worried that all the major players (who just so happen to own the major content producers) not being on board means we will see pushback preventing the online services from getting as much content as actual cable does. AT&T having a foothold via DirecTV does ease my fears a little bit though.

Nah, it's negotiated directly with the channel providers for content. Vue and Sling are in the list of providers for the individual channel apps. DTV Now currently only has deals for app access with Disney (so ESPN, ABC, etc..), HBO and Cinemax.

Except for the Viacom channels (like BET, Comedy Central, MTV, etc) Vue is about par with a typical cable package. They definitely have better regional sports coverage than Sling or DTV Now. What makes Vue raise itself above the other two is allowing 5 simultaneous streams and their "Cloud DVR". The Viacom contract dispute is the same that's happened with other carriers historically. Go a couple months without, then an announcement that they have reached agreement.

DTV Now needs to shake out the "we're still Beta" feel it has to be a contender. Even though I kept my Vue subscription, I signed up for 3 months. I look at it as getting an Apple TV 4 for $105 and 3 months DTV Now. It also locks in their $35/month pricing for the $60/mo package. If they can get their DVR stuff working and better regional sports coverage, I may end up dropping Vue in 3 months.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Full current lists are here, btw. Providers at the top of the page, channels at the bottom.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207035

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The larger the company is the longer it's going to take them to implement anything. The big cable companies love this app model since it requires a subscription and I assume they're all going to support it. Eventually.