Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Failboattootoot posted:

All of these criticisms are valid but I really feel like the speed of play more than makes up for these shortcomings, personally. Turns just fly by and I want that more than anything really.

I'm just amazed they took the main mechanic from Gloom and made an actual game around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Outside of being insanely adorable, is there any particular reason Feudum's kickstarter has loving exploded past its goals?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

So in light of recent news with China warning the U.S that iPhone sales would plummet, I was discussing with my friend that a once proposed 45% tariff on Chinese manufactured goods would basically kill the board game industry in America.

Dark times ahead.

I hope you have all saved up your cereal boxes :getin:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Be sure to download the Feast FAQ on BGG as it clarifies some of the rules, as well as gives you the errata to the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Outside of being insanely adorable, is there any particular reason Feudum's kickstarter has loving exploded past its goals?

I don't know but I first saw it the other day when finishing up my BGG secret santa wishlist. I don't know who the creator is but there's enough evidence of a decent looking prototype that it got me looking at the very least. Maybe others felt the same?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Lorini posted:

Be sure to download the Feast FAQ on BGG as it clarifies some of the rules, as well as gives you the errata to the game.

Just to be clear to those watching at home, I'd like to add that these are misc clarifications and spelling out of a few things. Not "fixing a broken game" level of errata or anything. Do not interpret this thread's A Feast for Odin chatter as "oh man, it sounds like Feast is a game with a lot of misprints and a FAQ required reading" like at least one poster seemed to think. That's not the case :yayclod:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I felt that it was poorly proofread by the American proofreaders. While certainly playable, the mistakes are fairly obvious and should have been caught.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Feudum looked interesting until someone posted the movement rules on reddit:

quote:

Your total movement allowance is equal to the number of pawns you have on the board. Movement may be divided among multiple pawns. Pawns move from 1 location to the next and may move along roads or special vessel routes.

Pilfer Resources

At the end of your move action, if one of the pawns you moved is beside a location containing a resource, you may pilfer 1 resource from that space. (This includes resources atop landscape tiles such as goods, targets or shillings.) You may not pilfer from a farm you rule or a landscape that your own serf is tending (limit 1 pilfered resource per movement action).

Vessels & Vessel Routes

If you have a vessel in your personal supply, you may place it under 1 of your pawns on the board, and move along the vessel route matching the vessel. The pawn remains atop the vessel until the pawn moves away from the route. Deploying a vessel does not count as an action and can be done at any time during your turn. Once the vessel is placed, it may not be taken off the board.

Abandoned Vessels

If you are using a vessel and decide to continue movement to another location requiring another mode of travel, you may abandon the vessel and continue movement on a road, or by deploying a different vessel from your personal supply. On a future turn, any player (including you) may board the abandoned vessel during a movement action.

Ferryboats

Ferryboat routes can be used by any player for a payment of 2 shillings to the general supply. Each payment grants a single, one-way trip. Important: Ferryboats are CLOSED if the Alchemist has 1 or more vessels for sale within his guild!

Epic Voyage

If you successfully play the move action twice in a single round (see Repeat Action, page 14), take 1 of your player discs and place it on the first space of the epic voyage track. If you are already on the track, advance your disc to the next space. Upon reaching a space marked with a card icon, draw 2 Royal Writ cards and keep 1of them. Return the other card to the bottom of the deck.

The epic voyage track is divided into sections. At the end of the game, the leading player disc in each section will score the higher of the two veneration point values printed in that section (3/5, 7/9, 11/13 vp). If 2 markers are tied, they both score the higher value. The fourth section contains only 1 space: the monastery. Any marker reaching this spot will receive 17 vp. Note: A pawn must move at least 1 space for the move action to be successful.

It looks like a dumpster fire of finicky rules filled with exceptions to exceptions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Memnaelar posted:

None of the misprints are deal-breakers. One item is out of place on the crafting board (but easily recognizable as such)

It is? Which one?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

minute posted:

It looks like a dumpster fire of finicky rules filled with exceptions to exceptions.

Hmm, I don't know if this is really a red flag for me. "pilfer" is the only thing that comes up on a turn by turn basis. Everything else involves a permanent change to the game state and seems rare.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jedit posted:

It is? Which one?

The cross, which has a forge icon, should be in the section that has all of the forge icon items. It's not. But it's pretty easy to tell at a glance that you can craft it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah, just like the blue goods tiles that have forge tong icons. They can be forged also. The special tiles are separated out onto a different board and the cross should be on the other side of the divide technically.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Lorini posted:

I felt that it was poorly proofread by the American proofreaders. While certainly playable, the mistakes are fairly obvious and should have been caught.

I agree; I didn't personally learn anything new from the FAQ but there were easily avoidable wording gotchas that could and should have been phrased with better clarity.

roquin
Jul 29, 2010

minute posted:

I had the chance to play a copy of Feudum at a convention. Big caveat is that it was a prototype (and pretty late one evening), so take my comments with that in mind- I haven't checked to see if / to what extent the rules have changed.

Short story: you're right.

The creator of the game was kind enough to teach some buddies and I how to play. We aren't strangers to strategy games, and even so it took us a pretty long time to get a sense for what was going on. We refused some advice on "recommended moves" / strategy - we were hoping and thinking we'd be able to think through things on your own. I think we got through a couple turns in a couple hours. It seemed to me that there were some interesting systems, but that the game suffered from some fairly serious bloat (balancing things going on on the map with role selection with the push/pull economic mechanisms.). Never really got to the point where it all came together or we were able to coherently develop a strategy.

It seemed like it was in a bit of an odd place, kind of a middle ground between a typical euro in terms of tone and length and a much meatier economics game (like Arkwright). It'd certainly benefit from multiple plays, but I don't think any of us were particularly clamoring for more. We gave the designer some fairly direct criticism (and some suggestions on how to adjust the game), but it did seem like he was at the point where he was prepping it for kickstarter, so who knows if anything got changed.

Some of the mechanisms were fairly interesting, the art is nice, and the designer was a friendly guy, and if you're a kickstart purist, this is a game that probably wouldn't have another avenue towards publication. So there are plusses, and I wouldn't blame folks potentially interested for giving it a shot. Nonetheless, I'm passing given my experience. Happy to elaborate if there's desire or specific questions.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Just saw 401games.ca has a ton of copies of Feast for Odin in stock for any Canadian goons looking for a copy.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

401 Games won't ship to Australia. Any other similar Canadian game stores ship internationally?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

dishwasherlove posted:

401 Games won't ship to Australia. Any other similar Canadian game stores ship internationally?

Someone posted a US store recently that had copies and Australia Post has just started this new proxy service.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Try boardboardbliss.com they're probably the biggest online Canadian store.

Fake edit nevermind they don't ship past the US. All the major Canadian stores I can think of seem to be Canada/US only.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Yeah I know you can reship from the US but the exchange rate isn't as good and shipping tends to be expensive even without a middleman.. Although maybe the weight of AFfO might break any savings.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Talking to the owner of my FLGS, when it hits Australia it is going to have a RRP of ~$170aud so even with shipping and the exchange rate you might still come out ahead.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How much replay value/lasting appeal do Patchwork and Imperial Assault have?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Lisboa kickstarter (new Vital) starts today by the way.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I haven't played Patchwork enough times to say how replayable it is, but it definitely gives you the feeling when you finish playing that you want to try it again with a different strategy. The way the patches that give you income works, it creates that feeling of doing a "build order" in a 4x or RTS game, where you have to weigh finite resources and trade off immediate gain for long-term sustainability, etc.

I find the actual puzzle-like placement of the pieces surprisingly difficult. I feel like some people are going to simply be way better at this than others, and it will give a pretty big advantage. You can overcome some of that advantage by being smarter about other elements of play (like reading ahead and denying good pieces to your opponent), but I think ultimately if you can't see which pieces fit where in your head, you'll really struggle. I found myself to be really loving bad at this, so the game would be pretty replayable to me just in trying to get better at knowing how to plan my board out from the beginning.

The biggest plus to Patchwork is probably how approachable and quick it is. You can just pull it out, throw the poo poo down onto the table, and teach someone to play in a few minutes as you go. They will likely have fun even if they don't like non-Monopoly board games. Since I'm married, I have more need for approachable gateway games with 3+ players since my wife is usually with me anyway, but if you want a game that you can use to introduce people to boardgames, it is pretty solid. Especially to anyone who gets scared off by any form of euro, scifi, or fantasy theme that so many boardgames tend to have.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Sinewave posted:

Yeah, just like the blue goods tiles that have forge tong icons. They can be forged also. The special tiles are separated out onto a different board and the cross should be on the other side of the divide technically.

OK, we noticed the Cross could be forged last time. Didn't notice that some of the regular blue goods could be, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

HELP I need to decide right away. I'm ordering A Feast For Odin and I'm trying to top up my order to get free shipping. Which ONE of the following should I get:

(if you say "all" I'll stab you :ese:)

Galaxy Trucker + Pandemic: On the Brink
Fury of Dracula + a 15 cent magic single
Food Chain Magnate

I'm going to finish getting dressed and come back in 10 minutes to decide.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

CommonShore posted:

HELP I need to decide right away. I'm ordering A Feast For Odin and I'm trying to top up my order to get free shipping. Which ONE of the following should I get:

Food Chain Magnate

Food Chain Magnate. Support the little guy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Food chain magnate. Your pricing for that free shipping seems off, but you wanted FCM anyway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chill la Chill posted:

Food chain magnate. Your pricing for that free shipping seems off, but you wanted FCM anyway.

What do you mean? 401 games gives free shipping at 150 or more sum order. By spending $120 on top of the $80 for AFFO I save $8 :shepspends:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

CommonShore posted:

Food Chain Magnate

Fury of Dracula's a fuckin riot, and is going out of print in a couple months

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

w00tmonger posted:

Fury of Dracula's a fuckin riot, and is going out of print in a couple months

That was my logic which made me indecisive, but FCM won by a 3-1 vote (my roommate walked by, too). Pandemic Legacy made a late appearance, too, but aside from Fury of Dracula, none of these games should have availability problems, so :shrug: I can get something in a couple more weeks. FCM and AFfO were both on my "I really want these games" list, which is now quite thin.

Thanks, thread!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Bah, of course after paying more at my local store for AFfO, 401 games gets it in stock.

Oh well. Supporting the local shops, I guess.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fury of dracula is more available than you think. The big game that became immediately sold out after the FFG/GW split was forbidden stars.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

CommonShore posted:

What do you mean? 401 games gives free shipping at 150 or more sum order. By spending $120 on top of the $80 for AFFO I save $8 :shepspends:

But you're increasing the efficiency of your dollars to games engine, which might matter if final scoring is close.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chill la Chill posted:

Fury of dracula is more available than you think. The big game that became immediately sold out after the FFG/GW split was forbidden stars.

Is there any sense that these games might come back into print after a while? Like, what part did GW own and what part did FF own of something like "Fury of Dracula"? "Dracula" is public domain, so that's that. If FF designed the game and mechanics, what's stopping them from publishing a new game called "Dracula's Rage" with different art properties six months down the road? And I know that the FF version of Talisman received a major overhaul, to the extent that it was more or less a new game with old IP. Could FF publish "Amulet" with new art properties?

Oh and in other news that will probably annoy the poo poo out of the thread, I had a talk with my friend who owns all of Talisman the other night about house rules which could improve it (just to clarify, we're treating improving the game as a fun puzzle in itself - we're not doing this out of some sense of obligation to play Talisman). We have come up with two so far that might take the edge off of the game's worse mechanics and turn it into something of a reasonable risk mitigation light strategy game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FFG is basically doing that with their Runewars, a not-Warhammer Fantasy game. Nope, no similarities here.

Assuming they keep the license long enough I'm positive we'll see a Star Wars Forbidden Stars which was already Starcraft. Don't know about Dracula but Whitechapel was their half step.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poopy Palpy posted:

But you're increasing the efficiency of your dollars to games engine, which might matter if final scoring is close.

*A unkempt goon approaches the pearly gates, St Peter sits in judgement*

St Peter: Welcome to the end of life, now the scoring phase will begin.
St Peter: I see that you have a rather large board gaming collection, good good, that is 3 Victory points per game
*reads slowly down the list, sees something amiss*
St Peter: Oh what do we have here? It seems you owned a complete set of Vampire Munchkin, The Simpsons Monopoly, and several decks of You Gi Oh cards.....
Goon: Those were gifts!
St Peter: We know, but I am afraid I will still have to award some negative points for keeping them
*looks back at the list*
St Peter: There is also the concerning issue of the dominoes set....
Goon: What's wrong with Dominoes?!
St Peter: I can see that you are missing the double six from this set, don't try to pull a fast one on me! You can't play dominoes without a double six, you are just stacking them up and making Domino chains!
Goon: :(
St Peter: Your total score is -23 victory points, I am afraid thats 20 years in purgatory. Next!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rutibex posted:

St Peter: I see that you have a rather large board gaming collection, good good, that is 3 Victory points per game
St Peter: Oh what do we have here? It seems you owned a complete set of Vampire Munchkin, The Simpsons Monopoly, and several decks of You Gi Oh cards.....
St Peter: We know, but I am afraid I will still have to award some negative points for keeping them
*looks back at the list*
St Peter: I can see that you are missing the double six from this set, don't try to pull a fast one on me! You can't play dominoes without a double six, you are just stacking them up and making Domino chains!
St Peter: Your total score is -23 victory points, I am afraid thats 20 years in purgatory. Next!

A good Rutibex post.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

Azran posted:

How much replay value/lasting appeal do Patchwork and Imperial Assault have?

Patchwork has tons of replay value, a very easy game to pick up and play in 30 to 40 minutes. As far as lasting appeal, it's not really a game you play three hours straight. But playing it once a week or something like that should not wear you out.

Now, Imperial Assault--assuming you are going to play the campaign with friends--the base game itself doesn't have too much "replay" value. The campaign is made of 12-15 missions, and each mission takes about 3 to 4 hours. Once you play through the campaign your players are going to know the mission plots and surprises, so replaying they might plan ahead or know the strategy already for it. Luckily they have plenty of expansions that are campaigns of the same length, and there are also some changes that keep things fresh (an example would be the Boon/Bane system with Return to Hoth). The lasting appeal is definitely there, I've been playing with the same three friends for over a year now.

Ross Perowned fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 15, 2016

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Rutibex posted:

*looks back at the list*

My god, I finally understand the price:weight ratio.

Instead of weighing his heart against a feather, Rutibex has bargained such that he will weigh his heart against his board game collection!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rutibex posted:

Stupid poo poo

What's the penalty for being a pedophile with a cardboard fetish?