Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Glenn Quebec posted:

Next time my wife and I have a bad argument or an ongoing lowkey one that explodes, I'll take away her phone from her and then physically restrain her after blocking her attempts to leave. As she's being whipped into a frenzy because I'm robbing her of any physical agency, I'll whisper at her (cool, calm and collected) "Lohli says there is more than one bad actor in this scenario. You might harm yourself."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Zahgaegun posted:

You're telling me this is about that loving game you're always playing, the Legend of Zool or whatever? Holy poo poo, are you being serious right now?

Imagine being addicted to a series that tops out at 20 hours per game, with a finite number of sequels that aren't all worth playing.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

Next time my wife and I have a bad argument or an ongoing lowkey one that explodes, I'll take away her phone from her and then physically restrain her after blocking her attempts to leave. As she's being whipped into a frenzy because I'm robbing her of any physical agency, I'll whisper at her (cool, calm and collected) "Lohli says there is more than one bad actor in this scenario. You might harm yourself."
thank you

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

:wrongful:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

This thread is trapped in a circular argument, where do we keep the razors around here?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm sorry that I participated, please stop now, the jury will go into deliberations on tuesday.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zahgaegun posted:

You're telling me this is about that loving game you're always playing, the Legend of Zool or whatever? Holy poo poo, are you being serious right now?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Holy poo poo I loved that game on my gameboy.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I loved chupachups

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

r/relationships 3.0 - my race is irrelevant because I don't poo poo in the shower

Regulation Size posted:

my boyfriend sold my mtg beta black lotus card

Gasped out loud at the title

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Thanks for reminding me that high school me could have bought a black lotus at the local hobby shop for $300 but I decided to be responsible and save money for college instead.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

P-Mack posted:

Thanks for reminding me that high school me could have bought a black lotus at the local hobby shop for $300 but I decided to be responsible and save money for college instead.

It's not like the card is the actual equivalent of $20k. Like any high-end collector item you'd likely be hard-pressed to find someone who'll pay that much unless they are really dumb and don't understand the nature of collector's markets.

Even the girl in the story doesn't say how much that card was actually sold for, just how much it's "worth."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
People like to talk about what a great scam diamonds are since their market value has been so wildly inflated by clever marketing, but at least they are somewhat scarce and sometimes have physical uses. I think a playing card worth thousands of dollars beats that as far as 'dumbest poo poo people will dig into their pockets for'. It's not even something that anyone invested much time in, the way a rare artwork would be, because it rolled off the same factory line that every other card did but in a smaller print run.

Shame Wagon
Nov 12, 2016

Is bottle gnomes worth $20 000? I never played magic cards but one of my friends did and I liked the bottle gnomes artwork so they gave me their card. This was over a decade ago but I still have it so it must surely have appreciated in value by now.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Shame Wagon posted:

Is bottle gnomes worth $20 000? I never played magic cards but one of my friends did and I liked the bottle gnomes artwork so they gave me their card. This was over a decade ago but I still have it so it must surely have appreciated in value by now.

I googled it and it's worth a few cents.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zahgaegun posted:

Imagine someone breaking up with you because you didn't like The Legend of Zelda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXvsxNhoRw

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Basically the valuable cards are ones from the earliest runs because a) they're rare and b) they are extremely overpowered because the game balance and potential for broken combos hadn't been figured out by the designers yet.

But yeah it's going to be an extremely small number of potential buyers who actually play unrestricted rules, can afford a black lotus, and don't already have one.

Shame Wagon
Nov 12, 2016

Bottle gnomes are cute and I really want to drink one. The fact that they are not considered valuable is proof that the free market is destined to fail.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

+1 on not understanding how you could have a hard time finding a girl who likes Zelda in 2016, he's just using it as an excuse

"I don't have a girlfriend because I simply refuse to date anyone who doesn't have an appreciation for the obscure Japanese anime and video game series Pocket Monsters, or Pokémon in the original nihongo. That's a hard rule I refuse to compromise on. I'm sorry but I stick to my principles."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

P-Mack posted:

Basically the valuable cards are ones from the earliest runs because a) they're rare and b) they are extremely overpowered because the game balance and potential for broken combos hadn't been figured out by the designers yet.

But yeah it's going to be an extremely small number of potential buyers who actually play unrestricted rules, can afford a black lotus, and don't already have one.

Nobody is actually paying real money for these bullshit cards because they're "overpowered".

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Helsing posted:

Nobody is actually paying real money for these bullshit cards because they're "overpowered".

What do you know about it? People will pay staggering amounts of money for all kinds of garbage. I doubt it would be worth so much if it was terrible in the game. People spent more than that on virtual ships in Star Citizen. Building competitive decks in Magic already costs hundreds to thousands of dollars, so that is the kind of market we're talking about.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Jeza posted:

What do you know about it? People will pay staggering amounts of money for all kinds of garbage. I doubt it would be worth so much if it was terrible in the game. People spent more than that on virtual ships in Star Citizen. Building competitive decks in Magic already costs hundreds to thousands of dollars, so that is the kind of market we're talking about.

Cards of famous baseball or hockey players can also be sold for tens of thousands of dollars even though they aren't used to play any kind of competitive game so I think the explanation for why people pay these huge amounts of money has to be something other than a genuine desire to win games of Magic The Gathering. In the case of Star Citizen I think the buyers are probably depressed, anxious and socially isolated nerds whose lack of real lives leaves them with a huge surplus of income which they spend on imaginary spaceships because they want to be part of a community bigger than themselves but they're too intimidated by real socialization to leave their homes.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

:smuggo:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My [27F] husband [35M] forgot our son [9 months old] at his work. Everyone is telling me I am overreacting

quote:

Yesterday my son was being watched by the MIL for a couple of hours. I had to help my sister move apartments after her divorce. My MIL was more than happy to look after him for a while. My husband was to pick him up and come home with him.

Somewhere along the way he decided to go to the bar he owns. He took our son out of the car and brought him inside. He was there a while dealing with orders or whatever. He then got in his car and left completely forgetting that he left our son in his office. The bartenders noticed and they called him right as he was about to pull into our driveway.

He left and came back. He walked in and said "You'll never believe it, I forgot shane at the bar" as if it's funny or something. He's right I did not want to believe that he would leave our son in a place where people get poo poo faced on the reg. I don't know what I want to do, I'm still deciding but he's not sleeping in the same bed as me.

People are telling me I am overreacting by considering leaving him. Am I? because I am leading towards leaving

And as always, the gold is in the comments

REDDIT USER: I think you're overacting. I get why your upset, but saying you want to leave him over it seems a little out there. Is this the only reason why you want to leave him, or is it a combination of things? Because of it's just because of this, then yes I believe your overacting. Yes what he did isn't great, but it does happen. Luckily it happened in a place where his coworkers are. I would voice your concern to him, and tell him to be more careful next time, and that you aren't impressed by it. Leaving him over it isn't the answer.

OP: There's no point "voicing my concerns to him" because he never loving listens

REDDIT USER: Overreacting. Leaving him over this? Get a grip, geez. Plus, "making him sleep on the couch"? If you don't want him to sleep next to you it means YOU are sleeping on the couch or in the guestroom.

OP: UYh, this is my house. I own it. He does not have a penny invested in this house. It's mine.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Helsing posted:

There are cards from the same print run that suck and they aren't nearly as valuable as the ones that are mandatory for competive play. It's like how a baseball card for a hall of famer is worth more than the guy who was backup infielder for Cleveland for half a season in 1947, even if they are equally rare.

It's all irrational speculation and market manipulation past a certain point, but there needs to be something to push it to that point in the first place.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I saw that one. it's I'm assuming their first and only kid so sure be surprised but baby was clearly left somewhere at least relatively safe for a relatively minor amount of time. After overreacting like that she better pray she never messes up.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It sounds like her real problem is that she doesn't like that he owns a bar, honestly. It's not exactly like a drunk is gonna stumble into the owner's office and knock over a baby or whatever she was implying there, but the way she phrased it makes it sound like she wouldn't be this mad if he accidentally left the kid at his insurance agency or law firm or whatever.

My verdict is that she doesn't respect what he does for work and is also mad at the concept of husbands due to her sister's extremely recent divorce, case closed *gavel bang*

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

loquacius posted:

It sounds like her real problem is that she doesn't like that he owns a bar, honestly. It's not exactly like a drunk is gonna stumble into the owner's office and knock over a baby or whatever she was implying there, but the way she phrased it makes it sound like she wouldn't be this mad if he accidentally left the kid at his insurance agency or law firm or whatever.

My verdict is that she doesn't respect what he does for work and is also mad at the concept of husbands due to her sister's extremely recent divorce, case closed *gavel bang*

Pretty much beat me on both points. I am imagining him just leaving the baby at Paddy's pub with Danny DeVito the way she describes it. Still, forgetting a baby is super terrifying to me and I don't even have any. He made a mistake, but every year dozens of parents make the same one and end up losing a lot more than their spot in bed.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

From the comments-
lol

jesus christ i went down to one monitor and a smaller desk instantly when i moved to a smaller place. obviously the dude is nuts for more than just this reason but maybe it would've been easier gaming in separate rooms.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

David Cameron, Former Prime Minister of the UK and actual, factual pig fucker, left his small child in a pub and went home - and he went on to win another election!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Quote-Unquote posted:

David Cameron, Former Prime Minister of the UK and actual, factual pig fucker, left his small child in a pub and went home - and he went on to win another election!

And then he lost everything.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Trevor Hale posted:

He quit voluntarily after Brexit, I thought

A guy who the public had recently found out once hosed a pig to get into an old-boys club decided that Britain leaving the EU was so embarrassing he couldn't possibly carry on his career in public life with that on his record.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Trevor Hale posted:

I know all he has now is his millions of pounds (admittedly they're worth less than before he hosed the country like it was a dead pig, but still fairly valuable) and his giant mansion while he collects six figure fees for talking at dinner parties for idiots :(

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

quote:

My girlfriend [28F] of 3 years wants to announce her pregnancy at my [28M] family's Thanksgiving. I hate the idea but am having a hard time convincing her to wait.
Ultimately for me it just comes down to wanting to enjoy the day without any stress. I know that if she announces baby talk will dominate the day. I won't be able to watch football in peace or catch up with my family without everyone asking about the baby. I also think that it's sort of selfish to hog the attention by making an announcement like this on the day. I don't see why she can't wait another week or so.
I can see her point of wanting to do it in person and with everyone together, but it just feels weird and makes me uncomfortable. I don't understand why she thinks she has to do it this way. I've asked her to plan something else, but she keeps planning for telling everyone on Thanksgiving.
Are my reasons valid? I don't know if I can change her mind, but I would at least like to know if I'm overreacting or not. She seems to think I'm being a buzzkill, but I feel like she's trying to dominate Thanksgiving and turn the day into her/our day.
tl;dr: My girlfriend wants to announce her pregnancy on Thanksgiving. I don't want her to because I think it would ruin the day in a way by hogging the attention and making things stressful. She thinks I'm being a buzzkill and that my reasons are nonexistent. Is she right?

Lol just lol if you actually care about Thanksgiving. I feel bad for this kid that isn't even born. They shouldn't do it because she's only 8 weeks and that's just a shade early since you aren't out of the largest risk of miscarriage zone but holy cow, this guy suuuuuuuuucks.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

loquacius posted:

He quit voluntarily after Brexit, I thought

A guy who the public had recently found out once hosed a pig to get into an old-boys club decided that Britain leaving the EU was so embarrassing he couldn't possibly carry on his career in public life with that on his record.
he didn't really have much choice, he gambled everything on Brexit and lost. The only reason the referendum was held was as a power-play by him to quash the Eurosceptics in his party and oh lol woops

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005
Re: MtG card worth chat. I dunno how many people are geriatric like me and enjoy Antiques Roadshow when not reading SA on their Consumer Cellular Jitterbug phone but they tend to break down "actual" worth versus "what you should insure it for" which is typically much higher because the insurance company will fight you tooth and nail for every cent so going into the negotiation if it's god forbid lost or stolen, if you lose any ground you'll still have the value of what you could have sold it for.

I also mistakenly gave away to my ex an apparently rare RPG my dad gave me as a present back when he worked for a company that got absorbed into Square Enix. I told my husband about it when we first met and when he looked it up, an opened copy was selling for like $10K. I forget the name of it, something from Square back during the early Final Fantasy days. I still kick myself for giving my ex that game since he undoubtedly probably sold it for heroin money. Sigh.

loquacius posted:

+1 on not understanding how you could have a hard time finding a girl who likes Zelda in 2016, he's just using it as an excuse

"I don't have a girlfriend because I simply refuse to date anyone who doesn't have an appreciation for the obscure Japanese anime and video game series Pocket Monsters, or Pokémon in the original nihongo. That's a hard rule I refuse to compromise on. I'm sorry but I stick to my principles."

I dunno, it kind of reminds me of that bit in Family Guy (I know) where Meg is being forced to watch the b-roll of Monty Python's Flying Circus "I'm a girl! I don't even like GOOD Monty Python skits!" Source: me as a girl who never "got" the Zelda games but knows all the lore due to having obsessively nerdy male friends. But then again that Zelda wedding is a point against my argument.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Do people actually find Monty Python funny or is it one of those things everyone says they find funny and are just pretending

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
unpopular opinion: zelda is boring

Monty python is good sometimes....but not worth the hype. Meaning of life is a lot funnier than holy grail. There are individual sketches I like but I can't really just sit down and watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

this thread does a great job at reminding me how insufferable nerds are