Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rumble in the bunghole posted:

This is the only authentic ska song, if that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prqm1MFaaGc

Worth clarifying that this is a 100% non ironic song.

So Ska is just white people ruining reggae.

Edit:

The Ape of Naples posted:

It's an offshoot of Reggae from the 60s that white people ruined.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

So Ska is just white people ruining reggae.

Edit:

:yeah:

heh.

To be fair, Ska wasn't invented by white people. It was technically the Skatalites in about '64. Though they didn't really play much again for about 20 more years.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Who What Now posted:

I'm 100% convinced Ska is not a real genera of music. It's a trick that everyone but me is in on. I've never heard it and nobody can explain what it is, so I'm confident about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzfCFFCSnLE

But I think they might be indy sadcore these days.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MrCussMustard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzfCFFCSnLE

But I think they might be indy sadcore these days.

The two examples provided so far are telling me that Ska is categorized by sucking hot donkey assholes.

Edit:

Indy Sadcore sounds like garbage too. What the gently caress, I thought only Metal got stupidly specific.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Nov 15, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ska in Jamaica predated reggae you loving trogs

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

Ska predated reggae you loving trogs

Actually this is true and I'm ashamed that I forgot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YogOkzhoG5Q

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol you pedantic fucks

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ska in the USA in the mid 90s is where the fedora got its power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NxMlG3M40k

i hadnt heard that elieen song in forever, i hated it as a kid. now it reminds me of a ben stiller movie for some reason.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

thanks to this dumbss thread i've been listening to ska for the last 15 minutes. I hate ska, er hated ska. I hate the dumb brass in it. But, well, I'm 30 now and I guess anything new to me is interesting

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ska

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

I always loved this one.

Does anyone have that huge meme with Jesus telling the universe not to masturbate?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

MrCussMustard posted:

I always loved this one.

Does anyone have that huge meme with Jesus telling the universe not to masturbate?

I got you fam:

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

BgRdMchne posted:

I got you fam:

That is what you call a sick burn. I am humbled.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

KoRMaK posted:

thanks to this dumbss thread i've been listening to ska for the last 15 minutes. I hate ska, er hated ska. I hate the dumb brass in it. But, well, I'm 30 now and I guess anything new to me is interesting

Time makes fools of us all. For example, check out these aging punkers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7P6uAOJqTE

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Where does video game music fit on that chart?

Slimepunk and Dark Ambient sounds badass.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

lol they think avant garde is a higher level than free jazz. this was made by a loving level 2 or less

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I'm just trying to figure out how classic rock makes you an outsider.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

MichiganCubbie posted:

Level 2 is the music the person was listening to when they realized they weren't getting laid. Level 1 is what they think everyone who was getting laid was listening to.

Rather than figuring out how to talk to girls, they just crawled down a rabbit hole of music subcultures.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

MrCussMustard posted:

I always loved this one.

I fam you more than that other goon.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

MichiganCubbie posted:

I was told I listened to Dad Music because I played Steely Dan at the office. Classic rock = outsider. Unless, of course, you are a dad, among dads.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I fam you more than that other goon.

It really puts it all into perspective, doesn't it?

I appreciate it.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

MrCussMustard posted:

I was told I listened to Dad Music because I played Steely Dan at the office. Classic rock = outsider. Unless, of course, you are a dad, among dads.

I finally understand Grandpa Simpson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGrfhsxxmdE

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

MrCussMustard posted:

I played Steely Dan at the office.

We will never advance as a species if we continue to repeat the mistakes of past generations.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Time Cowboy posted:

We will never advance as a species if we continue to repeat the mistakes of past generations.

No way, man! We're going to keep on rocking forever!

I demand more jazzy songs about consanguination!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

BgRdMchne posted:

I got you fam:

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Seems about average to me. I'm actually about twice that size.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I thought the average was 200nm. This is very unsettling.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

yo rear end is grass posted:

Some would say that a 500nm willy is excessive, even messy. What really matters is how you use it.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

yo rear end is grass posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTEMaM7INNI

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

I knew this was destination, but the journey was worth it!

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

:eyepop::popeye::eyepop:

It took me a minute to get the joke....but HOLY poo poo. That is dark as midnight.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Dreddout posted:

I knew this was destination, but the journey was worth it!

The journey itself is the only meaning you will ever find. One must imagine the skinheads to be happy. To remove the brass from your punk merely negates the question of whether there is a reason to have brass in your punk to begin with.

Substitute brass for Nazi, I guess, if that's what you're into.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Politics = idiots taking sides with two capitalists to be their ruler, with a healthy side of Biden memes

Music = "what IS ska?"

Best thread in PYF = PYF Macros and Memes

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Politics = idiots taking sides with two capitalists to be their ruler, with a healthy side of Biden memes

[...]

Best thread in PYF = PYF Macros and Memes

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

The best memes involve lemons or hams.
:goonsay:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Whatever happened to the Wallace and Gromit memes?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ShitpostBot5000/status/798435411030900736

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Baron Corbyn posted:

Whatever happened to the Wallace and Gromit memes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

• Locked thread