Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Seems like a huge step down. If this was going to TV, really felt like this should have been a property saved for HBO, Amazon or Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I wonder what the implications are for Agents though. Does this mean we might get movie tie-ins again, maybe another guest from the movies, like Cobie Smulders or Samuel L. Jackson coming on the show?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pan Dulce posted:

I wonder what the implications are for Agents though. Does this mean we might get movie tie-ins again, maybe another guest from the movies, like Cobie Smulders or Samuel L. Jackson coming on the show?

I'm sure there will be exactly the same amount of movie tie-ins as there have been so far for AoS. And wouldn't they use that money / starpower for the Inhumans show?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Pan Dulce posted:

Is the show renewed for season 5? I wonder if this means that they're going to put a cap on SHIELD after this season and move on to The Inhumans.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Make the Inhuman show from Kamala's POV, introduce her in the last season of AoS so she can have Quake as a Mentor.

Though they can't have the Captain Marvel worship until at least Infinity War introduces her.

drat there goes my idea.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Well, an Inhumans TV show is a good chance to salvage the declining numbers on SHIELD while also being able to potentially bring in some characters from it. If they ever have to cancel SHIELD, some of it might live on in Inhumans.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
As long as Fitzsimmons is onboard, I'm onboard.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Only if we get Bobbi and Hunter back. :colbert:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Black Bolt makes them agents for Atillan in the human world because they are the most awesome of couples just like him and Medusa.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Good Lord they really are determined to ride this Inhumans train just out of spite. It's like "oh, you're making a movie with mutants getting good buzz (Logan, in this case)? well, guess what, we were already doing something even better with Inhumans!"
Nobody cares about Inhumans.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Inhumans are the Gobots of the superpowered world.

However.

People just want a good show about a group of superpowered people. If not at a school for the gifted, then on a city on the moon.

Pack it with action, humour and engaging plots and no one will give a poo poo if it's mutants or the B team.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
When is that Legion show coming out?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

When is that Legion show coming out?

Next February

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Didn't their spin-off show die before it started? So there is a good chance this will happen?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The inhuman royal family is so much more interesting than the budget x men knockoffs we've had so far so I'm looking forward to this coming movieshow

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I heard that the Inhumans in the comics were essentially Game of Thrones. How true is that?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

cjg posted:

Didn't their spin-off show die before it started? So there is a good chance this will happen?

I am pretty sure that the actress who plays Bobbi is on another show now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard that the Inhumans in the comics were essentially Game of Thrones. How true is that?

Well I guess there's a royalty in both? I mean their king is a loyal and just ruler whose mere whisper can level a mountain. So yeah just like GoT.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So apparently the Inhumans show will not be a spin-off of AoS, so it won't involve the ones introduced on the show. Also the budget will be higher than most TV shows because IMAX is pitching in.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
AoS is redheaded stepchild: confirmed

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorilla Salad posted:

AoS is redheaded stepchild: confirmed

Well, be fair. AoS isn't very good.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Guy Goodbody posted:

Well, be fair. AoS isn't very good.

Counterpoint: it is good.

Inhumans has a teleporting dog with a tuning fork on its head.

Edit: I also thinks Legends of Tomorrow is good, sooo my opinion may be bad.

Serf
May 5, 2011

haha the most appropriate redtext

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Aleph Null posted:

Counterpoint: it is good.

Inhumans has a teleporting dog with a tuning fork on its head.

Edit: I also thinks Legends of Tomorrow is good, sooo my opinion may be bad.

Legends is good, but it's the 5th best DC show.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Are you counting Vixen?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Gotham.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
How can MCU movies be so much better than DC movies but for the TV shows it is the opposite?

DC shows go comic-booky and even silly, while MCU shows hit the dark, gritty, realistic button.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Aleph Null posted:

How can MCU movies be so much better than DC movies but for the TV shows it is the opposite?

DC shows go comic-booky and even silly, while MCU shows hit the dark, gritty, realistic button.

It's really not the opposite unless you absolutely hate "dark, gritty, realistic."

Daredevil, JJ and Cage (though they absolutely have flaws) are so much better in quality than Arrow, Flash, etc., it's not really even close. And I personally think AoS is better than all of the DC shows as well, but that one is obviously arguable.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mikeraskol posted:

It's really not the opposite unless you absolutely hate "dark, gritty, realistic."

Daredevil, JJ and Cage (though they absolutely have flaws) are so much better in quality than Arrow, Flash, etc., it's not really even close. And I personally think AoS is better than all of the DC shows as well, but that one is obviously arguable.

Yep, I feel the same way. I like SHIELD a lot (even if they are curb-stomping the scheduling for a serialized show and obviously want to end it) but the Netflix shows - barring Daredevil season 2 which had the weakest second half specifically - Netflix has been just utterly wrecking with these shows. Going from a TV DC show to a Netflix Marvel show is like jumping from a soap opera to a movie in terms of production upgrade.

Marvel also knows how to do dark poo poo (head getting crushed to paste in a car door, for example) without doing DC GrimDark. In fact I think that whole "DC is Dark, Marvel is light" thing people have is loving stupid bullshit. DC's the universe that's filled with pussy heroes that can NEVER kill anyone no matter how much sense it makes (Come on, tell me Matt wouldn't eventually say gently caress it and waste the Joker, for example) while a ton of popular Marvel heroes leave huge body counts.

What it REALLY is, to me, is DC fellating itself non-stop about how their characters are the "new mythology," drinking their own kool-aid, and waxing on and on and on about how how uber-serious their heroes are (while they are also the most ridiculous). They want to keep talking about the serious philosophy behind heroes, basically baby's first philosophy class level arguments, while trying to take some moral certitude - then sticking Zack Snyder in their movies to make sure none of that will be reflected.

It's not grimdark, or dark. I've seen way way loving darker poo poo from Marvel, both on screen and in page. If DC had a character like the Punisher they'd HAVE to stick them in a Vertigo-only continuity or something because DC heroes don't kill.

Really the fact people keep thinking DC's problem is it's too "dark" need to realize that their actual problem is "taking themselves way too seriously." That, right there, is DC's biggest gently caress-up. They can't let Batman and Superman fight. It has to be SUPER SERIOUS, despite the fact a man dressed up like a bad is chucking missiles made of an alien planet and a guy in force field producing spandex. Not one of loving thing about that is GrimDark, it's just dumb as gently caress!

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 16, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
IMO, Netflix Marvel blows both DC CW and AoS out of the water. DC CW at it's best is better than Aos at it's best, and DC CW and AoS at their worst are about equal. But DC CW was at it's worst a lot more recently than AoS.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AoS is good fun and I enjoy it. Sure, it's no Breaking Bad, but not every show can reach that lofty plateau.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

AoS is good fun and I enjoy it. Sure, it's no Breaking Bad, but not every show can reach that lofty plateau.

It started pretty poo poo, and has gotten to be one of the higher tier action shows. Their choreography and set pieces are top notch across the board; most movies can't pull off the level of cool poo poo they can do from time to time.

Breaking Bad is a really bad comparison because it's like comparing The Godfather to John Wick or something. They're not supposed to be the same thing. But if you asked me who has the best action sequences on TV right now, it'd be Marvel, both on Netflix and ABC.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Watching Legends of Tomorrow I am reminded of how good a Superman Brandon Routh was and could be. He is perfect to be the new Christoper Reeve, but I guess he wasn't serious enough.
Ray Palmer is 100% Clark Kent; it's uncanny.
Yeah, Superman Returns wasn't great, but it had an great Superman and an amazing Lex (a Lex who was consistent with the one from Superman I and II).

Also, I do like AoS. It has fantastic and consistent writing and the action sequences have gotten so good, but I hate the fact that Disney / ABC doesn't seem to like it. The CW has super hero shows on four nights a week now. ABC acts like they can't even spare one slot. Agent Carter was the weaker show but the Carter character is great. I'm sure Hayley Atwell enjoys stretching her acting muscles as the star of Conviction, but I miss her as Carter. Plus the period costuming was beautifully done. Just have a Jarvis and Carter half hour show of them solving mysteries or something. They had remarkable chemistry.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

You guys rating CW DC as better than AOS are insane. I enjoyed Arrow S1-2 and Flash S1 but fell off a cliff halfway through last season and abandoned all CW shows last year. AOS at its peak is so much better.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God almighty, it's getting mighty opiniony in here

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I really like all of them. CW series are all very enjoyable this season. AoS has been fantastic...some people complain just to complain.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They're all good shows Bront

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
AoS is a better-written and better-plotted show than either Arrow or the Flash (haven't seen Legends, never will). That much is basically inarguable. The AoS writers clearly lay their plots out in advance and are thus able to hint and foreshadow and carefully plan the journey to their endgame, whereas Flash and Arrow are very obviously just making poo poo up as they go along. Again, that's not even something that is up for debate-- the DCTV writers have basically admitted that they are flying by the seat of their pants most of the time.

EDIT: Note that this isn't a complaint necessarily. I generally like both Flash and Arrow but it is sometimes painfully clear that they aren't operating according to any sort of plan and are just sort of going with whatever.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aleph Null posted:

Watching Legends of Tomorrow I am reminded of how good a Superman Brandon Routh was and could be. He is perfect to be the new Christoper Reeve, but I guess he wasn't serious enough.

I think supergirl this year pretty much proved a happy superman can work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Netflix Marvel is the best but it's almost unfair to compare since they get a lot of latitude with what they can do and they aren't bound by a lot of the rules of network TV, whether its censoring or scheduling or making sure every episode has an overly large hook into the next episode to keep people engaged.

AoS vs. CWDC is dicier though. AoS undeniably has better action but the scheduling and drip-style story hurt AoS real bad even when the writing is at its best. The show is really hamstrung by being tethered to the MCU schedule. Meanwhile, CWDC is cheesier for sure but it's tonally consistent and they tend to keep stories moving all the time. I just watched a bunch of S2 Supergirl and while it's undeniably cheesy in the same way all CW shows have been since the old WB days, it's fun to watch because they are good at getting to the point and making sure their better actors get the better lines.

• Locked thread