Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I just saw this thing on Facebook. Some people want to make wearing a safety pin a thing to indicate solidarity with oppressed people. Apparently this is worse than being a Trump supporter?

I get that it's kind of low effort, but shouldn't we all try to be supportive instead of rabidly tearing each other down?

This is probably some kind of *-splaining. Sorry.

its garbage slacktivism and IMO infantilizes marginalized groups (I dunno about you but when I think of safety pins the first thing I think of are diapers)

Best case it's some dope who means well putting something on to let everyone know they're One Of The Good Ones, at worst it's a bigot disguising themselves so they can get close toward a target

I wouldn't say it's worse than being a Trump supporter but A. if you're going to be supportive toward the oppressed why not just be supportive, and B. the virtue signaling involved is the toothless kind of faux-activism that got us here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I just saw this thing on Facebook. Some people want to make wearing a safety pin a thing to indicate solidarity with oppressed people. Apparently this is worse than being a Trump supporter?

I get that it's kind of low effort, but shouldn't we all try to be supportive instead of rabidly tearing each other down?

This is probably some kind of *-splaining. Sorry.

I can understand people's frustration with that stuff- I've mostly rolled my eyes at it and moved on but yeah.

I don't think it's that they're the wrong kind of liberals or get them out of the party- but the act just speaks to how decayed any sort of lived political involvement is for most people. Vote, and forget about it. Donate and forget. Change your FB picture and forget.

The Democratic party was just exposed as the House of Usher and people are worried about coming up with the smallest, most subtle sign they can make to show they're against hate. I'm not a huge fan of the anti-Trump protests at the moment, but at least they are acts that require effort and courage. Safety Pins is, like, thoughts and prayers level engagement.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/791263939015376902

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'd really like to know what to do to help. I can handle a gun or carry a sign. I just don't know where to begin applying either of those things. Are there memos? Emails?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Quick who has images of that inspirational hillary children's book

Edit: Nevermind, here it is

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/Eclectablog/status/798357960774840320

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Apraxin posted:

my unimportant thoughts at 3am after finally catching up on the thread:

- ideas espoused are overall v. cool and good
- establishment apparent acceptance of keith ellison as DNC is encouraging, let's keep up the pressure for this and every other progressive measure we can.
- agree with Peel that we've gotta keep away from sneering at 'identity politics'. trump ran on a more explicitly/implicitly racist platform than anyone since george wallace, and regardless of anything else, the margins of his victory were small enough that we can't say turning out racists didn't pay off handsomely for him.
- now he's recreating the patronage of the Harding administration, but instead of giving the plum positions to 'these guys i've known for 30 years, my friends and partners through thick and thin', trump's so thin on genuine friendship and social connections that he's doling out patronage to whoever endorsed him a year ago, and surprise, it turns out most of the people willing to support a mad longshot racism-based candidacy were the crazy fascists/grifters who were so far-right that they endorsed him because even mainstream republicanism was too liberal and PC for them. now they get to be in charge of the country!
- further to above, every PoC/LGBTQ person i know irl or on social media is worried for their family, their marriage, maybe even their lives, these aren't like idle concerns for them
- so yeah 'social justice and economic justice are irrevocably intertwined, dems are against big money and the elite and bigotry, we're the party of the worker, of tolerance and acceptance, let's work together for all americans' is a great message. 'let's put aside dumb identity politics and focus on the economic question' isn't, so please let's go with the former rather than the latter*

*not that I've seen too much of that in this thread outside of couple of people 50 pages back, but i see it coming up more and more in social media, and we're better than this. or we have to be for 2018, if nothing else.

I'm sure we've been over and over again, but I understand lots of people are rightly scared right now, so let me repeat it: No one is advocating for abandoning social justice or throwing minorities or immigrants under the bus, and we should continue to resist in every way possible efforts to do that from either side.

You can run the most pro-LGBT, pro-minority, pro-immigrant candidate in history, however, and still lose if your economic message is "things are great and getting better in coastal cities!"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

To make an analogy, since this is the autopsy thread, and the reason lots of us are frustrated about 'identity politics' chat. Image if we're doing a real autopsy and some of us are standing here going "well it clearly looks like liver failure. The liver is a half dead mess and all this other evidence X, Y, and Z of liver failure." Then there's people standing next to us yelling "Why are you ignoring the heart and lungs?! The guy who was just elected is advocating for mandatory cigarettes and transfat fried food in every elementary school!" and we're like "ok that's clearly a very bad idea, let's do everything we can from letting him do that, but we have the healthiest heart and lungs ever seen on a corpse."

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I can understand people's frustration with that stuff- I've mostly rolled my eyes at it and moved on but yeah.

I don't think it's that they're the wrong kind of liberals or get them out of the party- but the act just speaks to how decayed any sort of lived political involvement is for most people. Vote, and forget about it. Donate and forget. Change your FB picture and forget.

The Democratic party was just exposed as the House of Usher and people are worried about coming up with the smallest, most subtle sign they can make to show they're against hate. I'm not a huge fan of the anti-Trump protests at the moment, but at least they are acts that require effort and courage. Safety Pins is, like, thoughts and prayers level engagement.

I just want to know how many people are posting pictures of safety pins but only roll their eyes when someone around them says something sexist or bigoted. It's cool to offer support but it takes action to actually live in a world that is safer for people who are still often marginalized.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Well, but that's my point: Trump promised them their old jobs, or something very similar to their old jobs. He promised that protectionist policies and bullying America's trade partners would bring the old manufacturing jobs back to the Rust Belt. He doesn't have a plan for making good on this promise, and he doesn't seem to have one for bringing new types of jobs back to the Rust Belt, either. Trump's strategy for bringing back the jobs, as expressed on the campaign trail, is basically as follows:

Step 1: Engage in trade war with China, Mexico, India, and other current U.S. trade partners.
Step 2: Get rid of all regulations possible.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

He doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

It won him the election. It's really not that hard to grasp why his message was better in every way. There's a lot to learn from him, and a lot to dismiss from the Hillbots.

white sauce has issued a correction as of 14:28 on Nov 15, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah loving tell me about it, this is loving horrible. I'm very, very lucky to live in MA - they apparently have this poo poo on lockdown.

Well, except for the part where the Mass Dems website is still plastered with "hey everyone make sure you vote" and the last "weekly column" that was posted is dated June 08 and a bunch of the contact info isn't terribly up to date. Also I'm having trouble finding anything at the county level - but then I'm in Worcester County, which is arguably the reddest chunk of this true blue state, so.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

In a world where u go outside and aren't a sweaty 300 pound man it's helpful to know that at least one person on the train with you has a < 50% chance of groping you and calling a slut but I agree the practicality goes out the window when all you do is drool bbq sauce onto a keyboard 24/7

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012

logikv9 posted:

You have to be pretty delusional to think that Podesta was disparaging Ecuadorian cuisine. But hey if you have a drug farm there maybe you grow to like that cuisine quickly!!

I can tell you havent tasted Ecuadorian cuisine.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Guacamayo posted:

I can tell you havent tasted Ecuadorian cuisine.

I'd rather eat ceviche over risotto any day of the week

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

logikv9 posted:

You have to be pretty delusional to think that Podesta was disparaging Ecuadorian cuisine. But hey if you have a drug farm there maybe you grow to like that cuisine quickly!!

I was born there.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

So I thought this election had upended everything I knew about national level politics, but it turns out spending decades killing and jailing the leaders of your radical opponents, and systematically destroying the institutions that allow for even moderate oppositional organization is still more effective than proclaiming the need for a Third Way in response to the death of liberalism and prostrating yourself before the Silent Majority.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm proud of Venom Snake.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Pablo check in

https://twitter.com/gitpab/status/798388982598037504?s=09

loving Pablo.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Segmentation Fault posted:

its garbage slacktivism and IMO infantilizes marginalized groups (I dunno about you but when I think of safety pins the first thing I think of are diapers)

Kind of like displaying a coat hanger in support of a woman's right to choose.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

It's called divine mandate

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

chamois posted:

In a world where u go outside and aren't a sweaty 300 pound man it's helpful to know that at least one person on the train with you has a < 50% chance of groping you and calling a slut but I agree the practicality goes out the window when all you do is drool bbq sauce onto a keyboard 24/7

No idea what this word salad means.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

MrCussMustard posted:

Kind of like displaying a coat hanger in support of a woman's right to choose.

It's called divine mandate

:stare:

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Lot of republicans mad that Hillary won the popular vote lmao

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

He's not wrong. I'd be surprised if Trump starts to deport immigrants at a higher rate than Obama has been doing for the past few years.

quote:

In one term, the Obama Administration has deported roughly 80 percent the number of immigrants the George W. Bush administration deported in two.

In fiscal year 2012, 419,384 immigrants were deported from the U.S., beating the record of 392,862 in 2009. Based on data provided by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the Obama administration has deported roughly 1.6 million immigrants between 2009 and 2012. The previous administration deported about two million between 2001 and 2008.

Statistics also show a record number of deportations of immigrants with a criminal background and an increase of deportations of immigrants with a non-criminal background from 2011. While data for 2013 is not yet available, part of the increase seen in 2012 could be due to the increase in apprehensions along the U.S. — Mexico border, which increased from 340,000 in 2011 to 365,000 in 2012.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/rundown/obama-administration-tops-its-own-deportation-record?client=safari

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Cinnamon Bear posted:

So serious question: Did the campaign actually sponsor this thing, or was it just some Clinton superfan who came up with it on her own?

Because that answer to this question is really important to how much rage I feel about this.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

mrmcd posted:

So serious question: Did the campaign actually sponsor this thing, or was it just some Clinton superfan who came up with it on her own?

Because that answer to this question is really important to how much rage I feel about this.

Probably both.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Segmentation Fault posted:

B. the virtue signaling involved is the toothless kind of faux-activism that got us here

Faith without works is dead.

Safety Pins is, like, thoughts and prayers level engagement.

Agreed. It is harmless as best, and at worst people might actually believe they're making a difference.

GlobglogGroAbgalab has issued a correction as of 14:58 on Nov 15, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

No idea what this word salad means.

Sometimes it's just nice that people show support, I think. I agree, I'd just like people to follow through, too.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

He's not wrong. I'd be surprised if Trump starts to deport immigrants at a higher rate than Obama has been doing for the past few years.

Not to mention keeping people in subhuman facilities, but hey he's a real cool guy!

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Zythrst posted:

Not to mention keeping people in subhuman facilities, but hey he's a real cool guy!

I wish he couldn't be president forever :allears:

He's really just so patriotic.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I wish he couldn't be president forever :allears:

He's really just so patriotic.

"speaking of Guantanamo I just couldn't close the darn thing"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Of course not. He's loving Pablo. The only person to emerge from all these email leaks looking like a smart and decent person instead of a clueless sycophant or worse.

kibaces
Jul 11, 2016

Scent of Worf posted:

Lot of republicans mad that Hillary won the popular vote lmao

Says who?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/798519600413601792

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I thought the deal with Obama's increased deportation rate was that they changed classification of certain types of removal, whereas under Bush if migrants were caught immediately after crossing the border and sent back it wasn't counted as a deportation, only something like "voluntary return", but under Obama those were considered actual deportations, so the rate went up. Is that not actually the case?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The most depressing part of this post-mortem has been the discovery that many centrist liberals cannot even imagine a world where economic prosperity returns to vast parts of the country, and the real problem is that these places just won't die quietly enough for them.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

The most depressing part of this post-mortem has been the discovery that many centrist liberals cannot even imagine a world where economic prosperity returns to vast parts of the country, and the real problem is that these places just won't die quietly enough for them.

And that they sincerely believe sending more people to college will magically fix everything

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I thought the deal with Obama's increased deportation rate was that they changed classification of certain types of removal, whereas under Bush if migrants were caught immediately after crossing the border and sent back it wasn't counted as a deportation, only something like "voluntary return", but under Obama those were considered actual deportations, so the rate went up. Is that not actually the case?

According to the admittedly few articles I've read about his actual plans, he decided to focus his efforts into deporting "criminals" but then immigration courts struck down provisions allowing innocent families to appeal their deportation. So in the end you have not only criminals being deported, but thousands of families and most of all children.

Deporter in chief.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Zythrst posted:

"speaking of Guantanamo I just couldn't close the darn thing"

Gonna break out my hot take machine and say that punting on the status quo for immigration and gitmo* are still less bad than whatever Trump and his band of white supremacist sycophants have coming down the pipe.

*not exactly true because he made a lot incremental improvements to both even if it was a long way off from 'fixed'.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

I know that's just another way of pointing out that the rural poors are ignored, but you're right to put it that way, I just didn't notice until you said it. Kind of makes me want to puke now.

E: VVVVV Give yourself to socialism

GlobglogGroAbgalab has issued a correction as of 15:16 on Nov 15, 2016

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Nah the most depressing part is that there are still centrist liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

MrCussMustard posted:

I know that's just another way of pointing out that the rural poors are ignored, but you're right to put it that way, I just didn't notice until you said it. Kind of makes me want to puke now.

here at mad at liberals inc we have developed dozens of new ways to be mad at liberals

• Locked thread