Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rip Testes posted:

Trump and Putin supposedly hit it off over taking on ISIS. What's the likelihood of Russia attempting to expand its spheres of influence by supposedly going after ISIS affiliates around the globe?

Now the liberal media are trying to claim there Finland population isn't now majority ISIS supports but if the Finnish government isn't going to do anything about it...well then somebody has to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

dr_rat posted:

Now the liberal media are trying to claim there Finland population isn't now majority ISIS supports but if the Finnish government isn't going to do anything about it...well then somebody has to.
I'd be more worried about central asia, since some of those countries have seen ISIS activity. Fortunately Kazakhstan kinda blocks them all off, and the only extremist thing about Kazakh muslims is their vodka consumption.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

the stans are all Russian puppet states already though right?

as for Syria yeah the rebels are pretty much done but to be honest they already were, I don't think if Hillary had won it'd be any different. The real question, I think, is whether Trump and Bolton will gently caress over the Kurds too. Not hopeful

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

icantfindaname posted:

the stans are all Russian puppet states already though right?
Not Pakistan or Afghanistan.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Kinda? Its complicated. They're all part of Putin-sans harem, but they're kinda unfaithful whores and are always sneaking out to let China and occasionally Europe/America have a chance at economically reaming their people.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

You guys downplaying Bolton don't remember or understand how much of a monster he is. Colin Powell hated him so much he personally intervened to prevent Bolton from being our UN Ambassador for longer than his short recess appointment. Bolton tried to accuse Cuba of manufacturing and spreading WMD technology and fired people who wouldn't let him, and he basically told the UN, to its face, that it was worthless and it's only use was to serve US policy goals. He also makes sexist/homophobic remarks at the office, gets mad, starts swearing, and throwing objects at his subordinates. Motherfucker was LITERALLY spying on Colin Powell and requesting NSA intercepts about his meetings.

Bolton reads the books of Pamela Gellar and Robert Spencer and writes endorsements of their books.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Bolton will somehow gently caress over both Sunni Arabs, the Kurds and Shia Persians all at once, I suppose by supporting every aim Turkey and Israel have, if by proxy or accident. With Trump's temperament and complete cluelessness, I'm expecting nuclear warfare in the middle east within the next decade and another US military occupation.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Schizotek posted:

I'd be more worried about central asia, since some of those countries have seen ISIS activity. Fortunately Kazakhstan kinda blocks them all off, and the only extremist thing about Kazakh muslims is their vodka consumption.

Yeah, there's no actual way that Russia attacks Finland in the next four years. Honestly outside Syria and Ukraine I doubt they'll do anything militarily too note full if only because their economy is poo poo. Can see them doing a lot of threatening over eastern Europe though trying to blackmail them into closer ties.

Cat Mattress posted:

Not Pakistan or Afghanistan.

At this point I think most of the US government would just say take it if the Russia tried to take Afghanistan again, even if Trump wasn't in charge.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

FaustianQ posted:

Bolton will somehow gently caress over both Sunni Arabs, the Kurds and Shia Persians all at once, I suppose by supporting every aim Turkey and Israel have, if by proxy or accident. With Trump's temperament and complete cluelessness, I'm expecting nuclear warfare in the middle east within the next decade and another US military occupation.

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread:

The other name floated was John Bolton. John Bolton is...uh...eccentric but also not on Team Assad.

quote:

If, in this context, defeating the Islamic State means restoring to power Mr. Assad in Syria and Iran’s puppets in Iraq, that outcome is neither feasible nor desirable. Rather than striving to recreate the post-World War I map, Washington should recognize the new geopolitics. The best alternative to the Islamic State in northeastern Syria and western Iraq is a new, independent Sunni state.

This “Sunni-stan” has economic potential as an oil producer (subject to negotiation with the Kurds, to be sure), and could be a bulwark against both Mr. Assad and Iran-allied Baghdad. The rulers of the Arab Gulf states, who should by now have learned the risk to their own security of funding Islamist extremism, could provide significant financing. And Turkey — still a NATO ally, don’t forget — would enjoy greater stability on its southern border, making the existence of a new state at least tolerable.
[...]
This Sunni state proposal differs sharply from the vision of the Russian-Iranian axis and its proxies (Hezbollah, Mr. Assad and Tehran-backed Baghdad). Their aim of restoring Iraqi and Syrian governments to their former borders is a goal fundamentally contrary to American, Israeli and friendly Arab state interests. Notions, therefore, of an American-Russian coalition against the Islamic State are as undesirable as they are glib.

In Syria, Moscow wants to dominate the regime (with or without Mr. Assad) and safeguard Russia’s Tartus naval base and its new Latakia air base. Tehran wants a continuing Alawite supremacy, with full protection for Hezbollah in Lebanon and Syria.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

John Bolton is an insane bastard

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So now that trump gets in i assume we are just abandoning the rebels so trump can pleasure putin's pet or are we gonna try to keep the SDF and Kurds around since they are the only ones doing anything about ISIS?

The night before Trump is pledged in, Obama sends SEAL Team 6 to capture or kill Assad. Just so that he goes to the annals of history for a hat trick together with killing ObL and Gaddafi (and to steal Trump's thunder).

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I think Trump is going to threaten to invade Iran, but suddenly Russia will step in to protect them, and the big American bully will back down in the face of Putin's masculine glory.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Gobbeldygook posted:

The other name floated was John Bolton. John Bolton is...uh...eccentric but also not on Team Assad.

Haha this is great. The only problem with ISIS is that their name makes too much sense ("Sunni-stan" is much better, since all Sunnis are a single homogenous group)and that the leadership isn't under American control.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Gobbeldygook posted:

God these guys are all completely insane. This would completely destabilize Iraq just as things are starting to get back to sanity.

And that "plan" wouldn't work in Syria either:
https://anfenglish.com/news/al-sanadid-forces-join-the-operation-wrath-of-euphrates

quote:

The Operation Wrath of Euphrates had started on November 5 with the participation of YPG/YPJ, Bazên Reqqayê Brigade, Al-Tahrîr Brigade, Şehîdên Reqqayê Brigade, Şehîdên Hemam Al-Tirkmen Brigades, Şoreşgerên Reqqayê Brigade, Şoreşgerên Girê Spî Brigade and Syriac Military Council.

On the sixth day of the military campaign, the General Command of Al-Sanadid Forces announced that they will be partaking in the operation to liberate Raqqa alongside the Wrath of Euphrates fighters.

Al-Sanadid Forces General Commander Bender Deham El-Hadî said they will join the operation with all their forces made up of two thousand fighters.
The Shammar in East Syria have already picked their side; they're not going to be interested in a "Sunni-stan", they've already sided with the SDF/Rojava.

Back in reality, have a clusterfuck of a map:

Euphrates Shield has finally made it to the outskirts of Al Bab, but given their track record any progress in Al Bab proper is going to be on the scale of months, not days or weeks. They could bypass Al Bab and make a straight shot at East Aleppo, or take the fight to Assad's forces to the south, but Euphrates Shield seems to not be interested in either of these options right now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

I think Trump is going to threaten to invade Iran, but suddenly Russia will step in to protect them, and the big American bully will back down in the face of Putin's masculine glory.

I think Putin would laugh his rear end off if the US bogged itself down in another major war in the region, and wouldn't do a whole lot to prevent it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

I think Putin would laugh his rear end off if the US bogged itself down in another major war in the region, and wouldn't do a whole lot to prevent it.

They don't exactly have room to laugh.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, Americans can only dream of the kind of self-inflicted harm this war has done to the Russian economy. As bad as Iraq/Afghanistan was, it doesn't really hold a candle to the effects Syrian investment is doing.

not that it would stop them from gloating. Russia could literally collapse and Putin would still feel secure in mocking America for stubbing it's toe.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 15, 2016

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

I have to imagine they think winning the Brexit referendum and the US presidential election is pretty funny, despite being bogged down in problems of their own. Plus Syria can be bad for Russia but good for Putin if the Russian people still admire his perceived strength in standing up to the West.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Schizotek posted:

Yeah, Americans can only dream of the kind of self-inflicted harm this war has done to the Russian economy.

How so? All the estimates I've seen put the Syrian intervention as very cheap for Russia.

Most of the pressure the Russian economy has faced recently has been due to the low oil price, and then a bit on top due to sanctions from Crimea/Ukraine.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just as his supporters did, Middle Eastern dictators are projecting their dreams onto Donald Trump.

https://twitter.com/ishaantharoor/status/798607626191990786

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Just as his supporters did, Middle Eastern dictators are projecting their dreams onto Donald Trump.

This is like the opposite of when Obama was elected and Europeans were so relieved they gave him the Nobel Prize

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Sergg posted:

You guys downplaying Bolton don't remember or understand how much of a monster he is. Colin Powell hated him so much he personally intervened to prevent Bolton from being our UN Ambassador for longer than his short recess appointment. Bolton tried to accuse Cuba of manufacturing and spreading WMD technology and fired people who wouldn't let him, and he basically told the UN, to its face, that it was worthless and it's only use was to serve US policy goals. He also makes sexist/homophobic remarks at the office, gets mad, starts swearing, and throwing objects at his subordinates. Motherfucker was LITERALLY spying on Colin Powell and requesting NSA intercepts about his meetings.

Bolton reads the books of Pamela Gellar and Robert Spencer and writes endorsements of their books.

You guys are way behind the times here. Because Rudy Giuliani is the leading candidate for Secretary Of State.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/us/politics/donald-trump-cabinet-rudy-giuliani.html

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Meanwhile in other :gonk: political news:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/lindsay-lohan-asks-donald-trump-to-go-to-syria-with-her-a7416876.html

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Squalid posted:

This is like the opposite of when Obama was elected and Europeans were so relieved they gave him the Nobel Prize

Trump to be presented the House of Saud Award of Depotism

From party girl to useful idiot.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 15, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sinteres posted:

I love the part where the Saudis say they're "psychologically closer to the Republicans"; it's very true but, after months of having to endure alt-right shithead point out that the Clinton Foundation received money from the Saudis, it's nice to have it straight from the horse's mouth.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Volkerball posted:

The peshmerga are in hot water again.
Yeah look up reports of the peshmerga bulldozing houses in order to "secure the area from IEDs" and the like. :airquote:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

It would kill Iran and Russian relations.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Mosul seems to be going good:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Rebels open fire on protesters

https://mobile.twitter.com/MmaGreen/status/798565383213039616

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

The twitter you're using is a hardcore Bashar fascist twitter. Also good job passing judgement on people in desperate straights. Also the video has no verbal evidence that that's what's going on.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:lol: is this real life
Feels so weird to see Lindsay Lohan like, retweeting erdogan and news about Assad gains in Aleppo but I guess this is the world we live in now
https://mobile.twitter.com/lindsaylohan
I mean if that guy can be president

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

This is the most surreal loving poo poo. It's like someone posted a Cosmo article interspersed with lines from Mein Kampf. :psyduck:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cat Mattress posted:

I love the part where the Saudis say they're "psychologically closer to the Republicans"; it's very true but, after months of having to endure alt-right shithead point out that the Clinton Foundation received money from the Saudis, it's nice to have it straight from the horse's mouth.

When a saud heavy hitter says "we're closer to republicans psychologically", you know you hosed up electing them.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It looks like the Kurds are making good progress toward Raqqa, and also, interestingly, SDF forces from Manbij have started moving toward Al Bab. I can't imagine they're going to be able to challenge Turkey for control of the actual city, but maybe they're hoping to loop around its south? I hope there's some strategy here at least (and ideally assurance of protection from the US or Russia) and that they aren't just rushing over to get bombed into paste by Turkey.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Tias posted:

When a saud heavy hitter says "we're closer to republicans psychologically", you know you hosed up electing them.

The American Taliban is back. Hide your wife, hide your kids.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orange sky posted:

So I'm in Israel right now and I wanna know: any faux pas I should avoid? I'm scared of saying some crazy poo poo and getting looked at sideways, and I think this is a particularly sensitive country.

Say "Oi Vey" in every single opportunity to do so.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Russia backed out of the ICC, so uh good luck Syria.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

PMUs have liberated Tal Afar airport:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5das9e/pmus_have_liberated_tel_afar_airport/
https://twitter.com/hoseinmortada/status/798954430381125632
This means Mosul is almost completely surrounded.

Peto Lucem map of Mosul (annoyingly, he doesn't include Tal Afar, so the recent advance isn't shown):

There's a couple differences in his map compared to the other map I posted: Hawijat al Husan is a small pocket still under ISIL control, Ali Rash is under Iraqi Army control, and the pocket northeast of Mosul isn't closed.

Sinteres posted:

It looks like the Kurds are making good progress toward Raqqa, and also, interestingly, SDF forces from Manbij have started moving toward Al Bab. I can't imagine they're going to be able to challenge Turkey for control of the actual city, but maybe they're hoping to loop around its south? I hope there's some strategy here at least (and ideally assurance of protection from the US or Russia) and that they aren't just rushing over to get bombed into paste by Turkey.
One theory I've seen floated is that the SDF is waiting for Euphrates Shield to exhaust themselves trying to take Al Bab, and then swoop in. Of course, the SDF taking Al Bab wouldn't be a cake walk either, it would almost certainly be a huge slog like Manbij was. The third factor is Assad, since Al Bab is also really, really close to SAA lines.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
YPG forces in Manbij withdrew east of the Euphrates.

https://www.facebook.com/RojavaDefenseUnits/posts/1171117016292024?pnref=story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Or
https://twitter.com/RaniaKhalek/status/798643127556915200

• Locked thread