Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hell yeah the guys behind Jonah Hex - what a great movie!! And Gamer?! Class.

:downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Didn't the Gamer guys also make the Chev Chelios movies?

Crank. No idea why I could remember the character but not the movie name.

greatn fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 15, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
One of them also made The Vatican Tapes, which turned out to be one of 2015's underrated horror flicks.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

K. Waste posted:

One of them also made The Vatican Tapes, which turned out to be one of 2015's underrated horror flicks.

I'm not sure how poorly you'd have to speak of The Vatican Tapes for it count as underratting it. But it'd have to be pretty bad

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Hell yeah the guys behind Jonah Hex - what a great movie!! And Gamer?! Class.

:downs:

Gamer ruled.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Star Trek TOS is culturally relevant but hasn't aged well. All Trek is okay at best, DS9 is the only one that really rises above that, and even then only when it's desperately aping Babylon 5.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Star Trek TOS is culturally relevant but hasn't aged well. All Trek is okay at best, DS9 is the only one that really rises above that, and even then only when it's desperately aping Babylon 5.

The Doomsday Machine might be my favorite episode of Trek that I've ever seen. It's just a really good story with an extremely menacing threat that doesn't even have a personality beyond what is given to it.

I've always been confused by the fact that the new Star Trek movies haven't remade that plot into a movie. It was already around 50 minutes, you could easily bump up some poo poo and turn it into a full blown feature length adventure- it doesn't even have to be two+ hours long. You would have an excellent massive threat, the human conflict, human drama, sacrifice and scale, and we can have a villain that isn't a dude in makeup or just another human.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It would be kind of dumb when the doomsday machine allowed itself to be captured on purpose, and Spock gets in a fist fight with it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MacheteZombie posted:

Gamer ruled.

Agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulcPQya3z7o

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
People today always tell me 1st season Next Generation sucked and that TOS hasn't aged well but holy poo poo have people who say that watched any other sci-fi tv from the 60s and 80s? Most of it was mega-poo poo we simply don't even remember today.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

People today always tell me 1st season Next Generation sucked and that TOS hasn't aged well but holy poo poo have people who say that watched any other sci-fi tv from the 60s and 80s? Most of it was mega-poo poo we simply don't even remember today.

Yes, but being at the peak of poo poo doesn't mean it isn't still poo poo. Like, Transformers was generally a terrible cartoon and nothing more than a toy commercial, and being the top of the toy commercials doesn't change the fact that it was still a toy commercial.

DS9 aged decently, however, as a comparison, and had some really powerful episodes that served as better social commentary than TNG did.

Darko fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 15, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm pretty sure that when people say "didn't age well" that they really mean is that it doesn't fit the modern vogue, as in not being a slickly produced character drama IN SPACE a la nuBSG. The show hasn't aged badly at all compared to its contemporaries and a lot of its thinker moments are still worryingly relevant.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Neveldine and Taylor are going to adapt Grant Morrison. Didn't see that going down.

Yeah I'm excited about that, though the original property was pretty mediocre.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Darko posted:

DS9 aged decently, however, as a comparison, and had some really powerful episodes that served as better social commentary than TNG did.

DS9 really is great. The last thing people wanted from Trek was to sit in one situation and problem for weeks at a time, but it turned out to be amazing. It has the same problems as other series (bad episodes, slow start, horrific sets) but the plotting and guest actors make it really stand out above TNG/VOY.

It eventually switches to a full-on serialised format like we see on popular TV shows now. It's not a thick line, but the line could be drawn from DS9 to something HBO would write.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm pretty sure that when people say "didn't age well" that they really mean is that it doesn't fit the modern vogue, as in not being a slickly produced character drama IN SPACE a la nuBSG. The show hasn't aged badly at all compared to its contemporaries and a lot of its thinker moments are still worryingly relevant.

nuBSG is garbage, and my counter-example of a good sci-fi show was B5 which is the exact opposite of "modern and slick"

it's not just that TNG is ugly (it's not a plus but it wouldn't sink it by itself) it's that it's ugly, naive, only allows itself to have long-term conflict against faceless enemies like the Borg, features non-zero amounts of Wesley Crusher, and still makes the Ferengi into awful stereotypes

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I'm talking about TOS, I agree that TNG is absolutely a weird bland manifesto of boomer-centrist politics.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm talking about TOS, I agree that TNG is absolutely a weird bland manifesto of boomer-centrist politics.

oh, yeah, fair enough, i'm bad at context

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Where's the SubG Star Trek posts...someone's gotta have bookmarked that sick collection a lurker made.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Just watched Suicide Squad. It isn't a bad film, but it was a big mess. There's like...two or three different films in there and kind of edited into one product, but a lot of it just doesn't fit together. Or the tones are drastically different.

The movie also has a really bad habit at hinting at a lot of character backstory which sounds way more fun and interesting than the movie we get to see.

Lots of people seemed to have been praising Robbie and Smith's performances in the film but none of the characters impressed me all that much. And way too many of them just kind of seemed to stand around and do next to nothing.

Also, geez, they really used a lot of licensed music in this movie. I counted three different songs in the first three minutes.

I also hated Leto's Joker. I have no desire to see more of that, and I thought he was kind of good in the trailers. But no, I hated it. He didn't seem threatening at all. He just came off as trying way too hard and I think BatFleck is going to blow him away if they ever get a face-to-face in a Batman movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

notthegoatseguy posted:

Just watched Suicide Squad. It isn't a bad film, but it was a big mess. There's like...two or three different films in there and kind of edited into one product, but a lot of it just doesn't fit together. Or the tones are drastically different.

The movie also has a really bad habit at hinting at a lot of character backstory which sounds way more fun and interesting than the movie we get to see.

Lots of people seemed to have been praising Robbie and Smith's performances in the film but none of the characters impressed me all that much. And way too many of them just kind of seemed to stand around and do next to nothing.

Also, geez, they really used a lot of licensed music in this movie. I counted three different songs in the first three minutes.

I also hated Leto's Joker. I have no desire to see more of that, and I thought he was kind of good in the trailers. But no, I hated it. He didn't seem threatening at all. He just came off as trying way too hard and I think BatFleck is going to blow him away if they ever get a face-to-face in a Batman movie.

I just watched it for the first time, too, and I agree with this, except that I would call it a bad film. The first half was a jumbled mess of chopped together back story scenes and, "We're totally bad" type lines, and the second half is a boring, "Shoot the vague, faceless henchmen" finale. The whole movie felt like it had been cut down from a much larger movie, which I'm sure it was, but it felt like it was missing the most important bits of back story. Twice we're told people fell in love (Flagg and Enchantress, Joker and Harley) while being shown brief glimpses of scenes that might have actually told that story. Instead, it felt like a "previously on" for most of the first half. And yeah, the song usage was trying way to hard to use songs that cost a lot, but barely get use. "Here's 10 seconds of Sympathy for the Devil! Cool, here's 10 seconds of Blitzkrieg Bop!"

I was super confused by the way the movie was cut together, but I was listening to a podcast about it, and they said that after the Bohemian Rhapsody preview came out and everyone loved it, the studio hired the company who cut the trailer to come in and edit the movie. Is that true? Because if it is, it explains so much about the first half. It's a giant preview for each character's backstory.

And god dammit was Captain Boomerang annoying. Not in a fun way. Just awful.

I went in with an open mind about Leto's Joker, because I've liked him in other things, and I find alternate takes on old characters fun. But I just hated him. Maybe a longer cut of the movie would help, because he clearly got the worst of the cuts, but given how grating he was in each scene, I doubt it.

Like, I get it would be hard to tell this story in 2 hours with so many characters, so the only way to make the movie is to breeze past the important bits and get to the "fun" bits. But maybe that's a reason why the movie shouldn't have been made in the first place.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I liked Suicide Squad more than most, but having just rewatched Sabotage, Suicide Squad is a depressingly limp take on the good-guys-who-are-also-bad-guys genre for David Ayer. loving Sam Worthington put together a more entertaining freak than anyone in Suicide Squad.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Aww man, I thought Leto's Joker was a really great interpretation. Super interesting. I think we didn't get enough of him, but then I think SS was a pretty poo poo movie in general. Joker wasn't some SUPREME MYTHOLOGY character. Batshit crazy thuggery is cool, and his relationship with Harley is crazy-neat, too.

I feel like people are praising Margot Robbie's Harley because she's the cream of the crap compared to the other characters on the team. She talks and stuff in a memorable accent, maybe. Plus she got naked in Wolf of Wall Street, and is wearing those really short shorts in SS.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 15, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The trailer company redditing the movie is true.

I liked drug lord joker. A nice departure from the whole "batman and joker need each other to exist" thing. He's just a crime boss who has battled batman.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie's take on the Joker. But Sabotage gives you half a dozen freaks of that caliber.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie's take on the Joker. But Sabotage gives you half a dozen freaks of that caliber.

I agree with ya. Sabotage is a pretty cool movie and definitely a step up from SS.

Though I'll take Croc over all the characters, even if he didn't get much screentime. I hope he shows up in batfleck somewhere.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I liked Suicide Squad "putting on a persona" joker specifically because it was a nice departure from Force Of Nature Joker that's been so popular in the last decade. He's certainly crazy, and a dangerous abusive psychopath, but it's also abundantly clear that a lot of what he puts forth is a deliberately constructed act to put people off guard.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd really like to see a director's cut of Suicide Squad to see how many of the flaws were from the poo poo editing and how many were from the dumb script.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I feel like Squad Joker is one step away from toys with joker faces converted into explosives and the "bang!" pistol joker.

The swat vest with JOKER on it is my evidence. Oh and the circle of bizarre items.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I can't believe they're doing a full month between the download and physical media releases of Suicide Squad. Totally obnoxious.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MacheteZombie posted:

The trailer company redditing the movie is true.

I liked drug lord joker. A nice departure from the whole "batman and joker need each other to exist" thing. He's just a crime boss who has battled batman.
Azzarello's Joker is great, but it's unlikely that any film will actually tell the story of a Batman and Joker who are beyond good and evil, mythical figures playing a cosmic game. More likely the filmmakers would just throw it in for cheap effect, making the whole idea a stupid distraction.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gyges posted:

I'd really like to see a director's cut of Suicide Squad to see how many of the flaws were from the poo poo editing and how many were from the dumb script.

I have no idea how the director's cut could make the movie better. It needs less characters and more focus. I'm sure we'll just be getting more flashbacks and other bullshit.

I honestly think Joker is completely inconsequential to the movie. Yeah I know the initial trailers played him up and almost made him out to be the main antagonist but that clearly isn't the case. He's completely pointless and his hosed up Harley relationship can be explored in some other film.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 15, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I have no idea how the director's cut could make the movie better. It needs less characters and more focus. Not more.

The directors cut could provide more focus to the movie. Not saying it will, but it could. A lot of people said similar things about BvS but the ultimate cut did make the film better by some people's personal metrics.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd love Zack to direct Luke Cage v Meteor Man but sadly that's a dream that will never see fulfillment much like inhumans except that's less sad because they're gross and unattractive characters
Even that dog without the tuning fork he'd just be a cool cute dog

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Gamer ruled.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak posted:

I can't believe they're doing a full month between the download and physical media releases of Suicide Squad. Totally obnoxious.

Isn't the extended cut 2hrs 14 minutes and the web release 2 hrs 4 minutes *cough*? Is there additional content in the movie on the physical release?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Like, I get it would be hard to tell this story in 2 hours with so many characters, so the only way to make the movie is to breeze past the important bits and get to the "fun" bits. But maybe that's a reason why the movie shouldn't have been made in the first place.

You ever seen the Dirty Dozen? There's like a dozen more of those type of films that do a great job with their characters.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Drifter posted:

Isn't the extended cut 2hrs 14 minutes and the web release 2 hrs 4 minutes *cough*? Is there additional content in the movie on the physical release?
Yeah, what's obnoxious is trying to figure out what version of the film you're even buying!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

thrawn527 posted:

Counterpoint: Dirty Dozen. Ocean's Eleven. Magnificent Seven. Fuckin' Royal Tennenbaums, for pete's sake.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

You ever seen the Dirty Dozen? There's like a dozen more of those type of films that do a great job with their characters.

I actually have not. But IMDb tells me it's 2.5 hours, so they had ~30 minutes more to work with. That being said, I have no problem assuming it's miles better, and not just because they had 30 more minutes.

I just mean that it seems like they had trouble stuff the back stories into 2 hours. So they just gave brief glimpses of scenes that were clearly cut. So they should have cut down on the characters/plots, cut down the back stories entirely, or maybe this movie was never going to work the way they wanted it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Counterpoint: Dirty Dozen. Ocean's Eleven. Magnificent Seven. Fuckin' Royal Tennenbaums, for pete's sake.

These are also good points. Then the movie just does a lovely job of it.

• Locked thread