Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm just wanting a GIF of that dog barking with the subtitles "gently caress 2016! gently caress it!", but that video-to-GIF thing on IMGUR is too finicky to get the time range right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

IMO there's also no good reason why we need a senate. It's almost as archaic as the EC in practice. Or at least no reason for a legislative body where every state has equal representation in spite of population.

Trump will solve all of this for us.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

GobiasIndustries posted:

Wish he'd kept celebrities out of that ending segment.

Why? I thought they were mostly funny.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Thank you!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Echo Chamber posted:

IMO there's also no good reason why we need a senate. It's almost as archaic as the EC in practice. Or at least no reason for a legislative body where every state has equal representation in spite of population.
Well, after this election I can understand why you might want to give all of the power to the cities. On the other hand the House got an even higher GOP majority so be careful what you wish for

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

rapeface posted:

This pretty much covers it:
https://youtu.be/7wC42HgLA4k

My main beef with that video is when he gets to the argument that with a popular vote, the candidates would only pay attention to the big cities. He then goes on to prove that this isn't a concern by showing that because the cities' populations are less than some people might expect, you end up with the top 100 cities (down to Spokane, Washington) having only about 20% of the population. What he seems to purposefully leave out is that he's looking at only the population of the actual cities, not the metropolitan areas.

Thankfully, he addressed this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3wLQz-LgrM

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

Why? I thought they were mostly funny.

Larry Wilmore was 100% awesome and made sense, but the people on the street were much more poignant and just as funny, IMO.
e: For context, 2016 actually has been a really lovely year for my family (grandma died, aunt had an aneurysm and almost died, a few other things that I'd rather not share) so it connected w/ me more hearing people off the street agreeing with what I'm feeling than Nick Offerman or Kathy Griffin.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 15, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

This was a huge issue to the framers and I'm amazed you have no insight into why people might want to balance things out with one proportional representative body and one fixed representative body.

I'm in Texas, so I'm not hurting for representation in the house, my power relative to smaller states wouldn't change much if the senate was axed, but my neighbors in Oklahoma would get hosed over pretty hard. The cultural differences between texas and oklahoma is large enough on its own, but consider the differences between flyover states and populous states in general, and ask yourself why the gently caress those people should be made to submit to what a bunch of assholes in texas and california think about how the country should be run? It's classic tyranny of the majority poo poo here.

without making a value judgement against them or their politics, seriously ask yourself if it's okay in your mind that someone from Sacramento or Austin should have a disproportionate say over the affairs of some farmer in Nebraska?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

basic hitler posted:

I'm in Texas, so I'm not hurting for representation in the house, my power relative to smaller states wouldn't change much if the senate was axed, but my neighbors in Oklahoma would get hosed over pretty hard. The cultural differences between texas and oklahoma is large enough on its own, but consider the differences between flyover states and populous states in general, and ask yourself why the gently caress those people should be made to submit to what a bunch of assholes in texas and california think about how the country should be run? It's classic tyranny of the majority poo poo here.

without making a value judgement against them or their politics, seriously ask yourself if it's okay in your mind that someone from Sacramento or Austin should have a disproportionate say over the affairs of some farmer in Nebraska?

... Did you already forget these dipshits elected Trump? I'm down for some Democratic tyranny, it'll probably be as ineffectual as the last eight years have been.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'd honestly be okay with the EC didn't include Senators for number of votes. That flat extra makes low population states proportionally more valuable. The biggest offender is Wyoming, where it takes an absolute maximum of 300,000 votes to win three electoral votes. California, in comparison, needs 19.8 million (absolute maximum based on population; I'm not sure about voter eligibility proportions there) for 55 votes.

100,000 per electoral vote versus 350,000. Seems legit.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Die Sexmonster! posted:

... Did you already forget these dipshits elected Trump? I'm down for some Democratic tyranny, it'll probably be as ineffectual as the last eight years have been.
Tyranny of the Majority is not the same as Democratic process.. kind of like how Peaceful Transition doesn't mean lack of armed mobs.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If we're going further than a constitutional amendment to get rid of the EC and moving on to legislative make up, then I'm fine with a unicameral legislative body with 1,000 representatives and a minimum of 3 reps per states. DC and the Territories are treated as states for the purposes of representative distribution.

Getting rid of the EC does have the added bonus of allowing all the citizens who live in the territories of having a say in the Presidency, so we might as well keep the ball rolling with the Legislature.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Democrats ran hillary loving clinton against trump so i kind of understand and sympathize with them, even if I refuse to be party to it. You just did the thing i asked you not to do by the way, you're making a value judgement on them as people because they voted a way you didn't like. Try to look at the nature of this problem with some degree of objectivity dude.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Don't know if this has been covered but there's also this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

161 electoral voting states have already pledged to abide by the popular vote, and you just need a couple of swing state's or red state's legislatures to make that legally binding.

EDIT: And as a black person, hell yeah I make a value judgement when someone voted Trump. Jesus Christ.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Trump is basically gently caress 2008-2016 from a large enough segment of the American populace. It's not altogether clear that Oliver gets this, but he does address it a bit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: And as a black person, hell yeah I make a value judgement when someone voted Trump. Jesus Christ.

Honestly, at this point, it's probably best to start making value judgements even on people who are all 'give him a chance' or 'wait and see'. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-not-wait-trump-administration-article-1.2869073

And yes, I know it's important to not live in an echo chamber and that we need to hear other people's opinions and stuff. But listening and respecting people's opinions does not extend to poo poo like "I don't like X people". And moreover, when a man says he will forcefully deport 12 million immigrants in 2 years, has a guy who says poo poo like this working for him, when people are being subjected public hate speech, and just the act of winning emboldens flat out monsters don't tell me we don't need an organized resistance. It doesn't matter how hard he backpedals, it doesn't matter how little chance it has in happening. That poo poo cannot stand.

Supporting Trump means you support stripping a huge amount of the population of their rights and freedoms. At this point, we're in the current towards the waterfall, either you're okay with how things are going or you're frantically paddling against the tide.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Honestly, at this point, it's probably best to start making value judgements even on people who are all 'give him a chance' or 'wait and see'.

This attitude is just gonna ensure nobody listens to you when the time comes. The fact people ITT are unwilling to reflect on why Trump won and are instead burying their head up their rear end and shrieking about how working class americans are subhumans who shouldn't be listened to and should know when to kneel before their betters is like, more than half of the reason trump the racist clown won the rust belt and why he's gonna be taking the oath of office in two months instead of the democrat war criminal.

The DNC made some really bad decisions after Bernie's concession and some stupid assumptions that led to this loss, and if you want to go back to the primaries ( I know none of you do), the poo poo they pulled against Bernie & the leftist populists that supported him, this problem is systemic. Nobody owed you a clinton presidency, and when she and the democrats failed to make a decent case to working class Americans and instead said "go gently caress yourself vote for me or you're a racist misogynist", they lost a lot of hearts and minds.

A smart person would probably stop and reflect on all these things, and maybe be conciliatory in the face of a republican majority in nearly all branches of government. Doubling down on being a shithead just means reasonable people are gonna exclude you and anyone with a voice like yours while they try to unfuck your mistakes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Seeing Larry David reminded me that there's going to be a new season of Curb and that alone made the segment worth it for me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/SamAdlerBell/status/798218141004427265
https://twitter.com/SamAdlerBell/status/798218921593761792
https://twitter.com/SamAdlerBell/status/798219120000913408

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

Trump is basically gently caress 2008-2016 from a large enough segment of the American populace. It's not altogether clear that Oliver gets this, but he does address it a bit.

I can't get across how mad it makes me feel to see that sentient sewer run-off smile and shake Obama's hand in the WH.

EDIT: Republican obstinateness and disregarding of polite convivality has paid off in droves for them. It's time we do the same.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I don't want to post this on Facebook because I'm tired of all the poo poo on there, but I find it so loving ironic that all these assholes saying "Give him a chance, if Trump succeeds America succeeds!" are the same people who have spent the last 8 years undermining the current president and hoping he fails.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

That twitter guy is kinda dumb if only because you can exist in opposition and build a powerbase without being a worthless obstructionist tantrum thrower.

Trump isn't a typical conservative and there's a non-zero chance he may try to raise the minimum wage, introduce some meaningful maternity leave, and before he was a republican frontrunner he was pretty vocally for singlepayer and he'll probably even go for that if he can make Obama look bad while doing it, which is still a net-gain for the american people. It would be worth it for progressive lawmakers to not completely alienate him before he gets around to this stuff.

He's also likely to kill TPP if he sticks to his guns at all, which is a loving excellent turn of events and one of the worst aspects of Hillary potentially winning was the fact she was previously so invested in its passage.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Frankly, Obama's not that great of a president. If he was a great president, we wouldn't be in the shitshow that we are in now. After the crash, he put in power the same people who helped orchestrate it, setting us up for another one, which is sure to occur in the next 6-18 months. Many Americans lost their jobs and their houses, and then were told they were irresponsible for borrowing money that they couldn't pay back. Here's a notion: the banks were irresponsible for lending money to people who couldn't afford to pay them back. If Obama really gave a poo poo about ordinary Americans and unemployment, he would've had the government hire unemployed folks like FDR did. Also, his touted obamacare policies were a step in the right direction, but American quality of care still lags other poorer countries, and monthly household expenditure is still very high (at on average $257/mo and scheduled to increase by 9% outpacing wage growth by quite a bit).

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

Frankly, Obama's not that great of a president. If he was a great president, we wouldn't be in the shitshow that we are in now. After the crash, he put in power the same people who helped orchestrate it, setting us up for another one, which is sure to occur in the next 6-18 months. Many Americans lost their jobs and their houses, and then were told they were irresponsible for borrowing money that they couldn't pay back. Here's a notion: the banks were irresponsible for lending money to people who couldn't afford to pay them back. If Obama really gave a poo poo about ordinary Americans and unemployment, he would've had the government hire unemployed folks like FDR did. Also, his touted obamacare policies were a step in the right direction, but American quality of care still lags other poorer countries, and monthly household expenditure is still very high (at on average $257/mo and scheduled to increase by 9% outpacing wage growth by quite a bit).

Wasn't a dictator. FDR's stuff required congress/senate.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of Obama's problems, not all but a lot, are just the fact that he had to fight tooth and nail for drat near ANYTHING to get done because everything he wanted to do was torn to shreds or dismissed sight unseen by the Republicans and nothing happened.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Wasn't a dictator. FDR's stuff required congress/senate.

The dems had the house and senate then, but to be fair to Obama, FDR passed the New Deal because of the revolutionary pressure from below. The spectrum has shifted so much that there's no way the democrats of 2008 would've passed anything like the New Deal.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Burkion posted:

A lot of Obama's problems, not all but a lot, are just the fact that he had to fight tooth and nail for drat near ANYTHING to get done because everything he wanted to do was torn to shreds or dismissed sight unseen by the Republicans and nothing happened.

Obama had a chance to lead the way towards real change at the beginning of his presidency, but he largely squandered it, leading to the backlash that drove the republicans into power, allowing them to obstruct any modicum of change.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

The dems had the house and senate then, but to be fair to Obama, FDR passed the New Deal because of the revolutionary pressure from below. The spectrum has shifted so much that there's no way the democrats of 2008 would've passed anything like the New Deal.

They had the entire house and senate for a VERY short time thanks to the Giffords shootings and other problems a few months is not enough time to pass dozens of bills.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

They had the entire house and senate for a VERY short time thanks to the Giffords shootings and other problems a few months is not enough time to pass dozens of bills.

They had two years :confused:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
73 days and still had blue dogs to contend with.

http://sandiegofreepress.org/2012/09/the-myth-of-the-filibuster-proof-democratic-senate/

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/fleeting-illusory-supermajority

I can't seem to find any articles from Drudge or Brietbart though. lol. :tinfoil:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 15, 2016

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

well regardless, obama never proposed any policies that would've addressed the underlying problems of the economy, and we can thank him for bank bailouts, unremarkable improvements in healthcare, a huge surveillance state (soon to be under the purview of Bannon/Trump), global terrorism using drone strikes, etc.

We can expect that the republicans will act to sign into law some terrible poo poo rather quickly as they did with Bush.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 16, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

basic hitler posted:

This was a huge issue to the framers and I'm amazed you have no insight into why people might want to balance things out with one proportional representative body and one fixed representative body.

It's already happening in reverse. It's a feature, not a bug. And the feature is a problem.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Rated PG-34 posted:

well regardless, obama never proposed any policies that would've addressed the underlying problems of the economy, and we can thank him for bank bailouts, unremarkable improvements in healthcare, a huge surveillance state (soon to be under the purview of Bannon/Trump), global terrorism using drone strikes, etc.

We can expect that the republicans will act to sign into law some terrible poo poo rather quickly as they did with Bush.

It's a lot easier to dismantle or obstruct than it is to build dorkus. Also the bank bailouts were an example of him addressing fundamne... you know what gently caress it I'm all out of teaching monetary/fiscal policy for all of 2016 it's pointless.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SalTheBard posted:

I don't want to post this on Facebook because I'm tired of all the poo poo on there, but I find it so loving ironic that all these assholes saying "Give him a chance, if Trump succeeds America succeeds!" are the same people who have spent the last 8 years undermining the current president and hoping he fails.

Good news, it'll also soon be unpatriotic to question the President and any attempts at opposing anything will be treasonous attacks on our liberty by people who should get out if they don't like it.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Ah yes, Bush Administration Action, Action Hampered by Republicans and fuckers like Joe Lieberman due to the limited nature of the Super Majority required to actually do anything in the mad world of 2009, Bush Administration Action, Bush Administration Action, etc.

Thanks, Obama.

(the drones thing and surveillance obviously also happened with his OK, but let's not pretend Obama started it)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

How is it disproportionate if more people live in Sacramento or Austin? They aren't voting people into Nebraska's state governing bodies which is where the stuff that affects said farmer actually gets done. They're voting for the president. It's the Nebraska farmer who has disproportionate representation in that race.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Once again I must state that this thread is getting way off topic and if you really want to discuss election stuff there are other places on these forums to do it.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I personally think 2016 was a pretty good year because I did a bunch of exciting life changing things so I can't really agree with Mr Oliver's assessment, but yeah, boo Trump, yay Hillary, row row fight the power

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

basic hitler posted:

without making a value judgement against them or their politics,

Die Sexmonster! posted:

... Did you already forget these dipshits elected Trump?
that was fast

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Honestly, at this point, it's probably best to start making value judgements even on people who are all 'give him a chance' or 'wait and see'.
well if you throw them in too, hell why not toss in everyone you disagree with, that leaves so few people you may as well burn the whole loving country to the ground

luckily we elected just the guy to do that

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CrashCat posted:

well if you throw them in too, hell why not toss in everyone you disagree with, that leaves so few people you may as well burn the whole loving country to the ground

luckily we elected just the guy to do that
Man can't you alt-righters find some new line of reasoning outside of "MLK didn't support violent protest - why are you acting like savages!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Veskit posted:

It's a lot easier to dismantle or obstruct than it is to build dorkus. Also the bank bailouts were an example of him addressing fundamne... you know what gently caress it I'm all out of teaching monetary/fiscal policy for all of 2016 it's pointless.

The Bailouts were what they were, but it was without consequence for the banks/auto industry. There aren't any measures in place to realistically control the rapacity and carelessness of the institutions, even after that.

• Locked thread