Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

No Safe Word posted:

You can just use bumpers and a long rail to cheese the moon lord if you want. Bumpers are made by hammering one end of a rail segment so that it becomes a bumper instead of the standard "cart stopper". It's the only way I've actually defeated the moon lord but it's very effective if done correctly :)

Tried that, didn't work. He'd still hit me with his beam and occasional bullet, and I'd get slowly worn down. More details?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mile'ionaha posted:

Tried that, didn't work. He'd still hit me with his beam and occasional bullet, and I'd get slowly worn down. More details?
I'll just quote an older post of mine

No Safe Word posted:

It's pretty brain-dead simple if completely boring as gently caress, just build a minecart rail from one end of your world to the other with bumpers on each end, and throw Godly Daybreaks backwards constantly while traveling at 102mph. You will occasionally take some damage on the switchbacks but pretty rarely.

Obviously you need to forge that weapon until you get the best modifier and having good buff potions and plenty of big healing potions are useful. I actually haven't tried this strategy on a non-expert world, so I don't know if the mechanical cart really makes that much of a difference. It might, though. But you can always go get one on an expert world or edit one in :)

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Mile'ionaha posted:

Seriously don't discount the value of buff potions. Well-fed (from most food) and regen are a minimum if you're having trouble with a boss. Have the potions/food in your inventory, and hit 'b' when the fight starts, and again whenever one wears off.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Qylvaran posted:

Seriously don't discount the value of buff potions. Well-fed (from most food) and regen are a minimum if you're having trouble with a boss. Have the potions/food in your inventory, and hit 'b' when the fight starts, and again whenever one wears off.

Got those, too! Even hacked in the fishing potions, because gently caress fishing. I was using the Vortex Beater, I'll try the Daybreak.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Just tried the new event and...hmm. It definitely seems geared towards multiplayer, given the frustrating range that some of the units can attack from. Gear that trivializes everything up to Expert endgame isn't enough to guarantee victory. It also seems fairly grindy, given the slow rate of rewards. It's probably not too bad single-player with the right kind of arena, and I may try to build an appropriate grinder later. It does definitely have the feel of the Moon events in being overwhelming.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Yeah that sounds like Dungeon Defenders to me.

I'll be trying it out later today, I don't know if I have a character geared up for it, but I'm excited for new armor sets. Fashion is very important in Terraria.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Vib Rib posted:

I really do not enjoy the invasions/"moons" and I think they're far and away the worst part of the game. Badly balanced, tedious, frustrating, not fun even when you win, and rarely worth going through. And I wish they'd stop adding more stuff like it. My last playthrough I completely avoided them as much as possible.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. I find them really tedious, especially the ones guaranteed to last a half in-game day.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't say that this was a crossover i would have really looked forward to, but at least it's some extra update waaaaaay late in the game's lifetime and not some big focus earlier on

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The tower defense stuff for late normal mode feels pretty fun, if somewhat easy. The ballista towers completely wreck the normal goblin enemies and cheese everything that isn't the dark mage or the wyverns. Though I do think getting 3 medals for winning is kind of poo poo. Given, y'know, one of the things costs loving 75 medals.

This update does feel like it's specially designed to make summoner characters feel awesome, though. All the little towers can be used as actual summons once you successfully defend the crystal once.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Mile'ionaha posted:

Got those, too! Even hacked in the fishing potions, because gently caress fishing. I was using the Vortex Beater, I'll try the Daybreak.

Yeah, using a ranged weapon with a melee armor set may have contributed, too. Daybreak is great for minecart kiting the moonlord.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Given, y'know, one of the things costs loving 75 medals.

According to the wiki the highest tier of the summoning items cost 100 medals each. If the medal drops don't increase as the thing gets harder there's next to no way I'm gonna do this bullshit.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Qylvaran posted:

Yeah, using a ranged weapon with a melee armor set may have contributed, too. Daybreak is great for minecart kiting the moonlord.

Cheesy as gently caress, but it worked.

Sick Throw, Man.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Akett posted:

According to the wiki the highest tier of the summoning items cost 100 medals each. If the medal drops don't increase as the thing gets harder there's next to no way I'm gonna do this bullshit.

I mean, it would be consistent with the design space if you think about it in terms of the angler quests.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Cenx posted a list of hotfixes on the official forum.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-4-is-live.51316/page-10#post-1135334

Fixed medals dropping only in stacks of 1 instead of their intended amounts when in singleplayer
Hopefully fixed some enemies being invisible on spawn during the Old One's Army event when in multiplayer
Fixed Eternia crystals using their internal name Elder Crystals
Fixed Striking Moment buff's tooltip
Fixed Tavernkeep not reacting to the King Statue
Fixed certain worldgen crash that was replicated using the experimental seeds feature! whoo!
Fixed an exploit
Fixed certain new weapons staying in use during the player's death
Fixed silent crash when trying to place defenses in dedicated servers
Fixed silent crash when using Last Prism in multiplayer

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I got to some kind of boss (wave 10-ish?) on the post-plantera hardmode level of the invasion and got 40-something medals. So the droprate is better if you're doing the harder versions.

Rainbow gun is stupidly good for this. It completely locks down one side (minus flyers and ogres) as long as you can run back to refresh it when it fades.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Yeah, I just stuffed my terrarian into a portal for a pre hardmode version and it ended up killing like ten dark mages giving me pretty much all of the things they drop and also got 5 defender medals out of it, so the thing seems to reward you better based on how well you do. As for my getting overwhelmed, I think a big part of that problem may be that I was doing the post Plantera version of the event with pre hardmode towers, so it's amazing I even got to wave four on my retry.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mile'ionaha posted:

Cheesy as gently caress, but it worked.

Sick Throw, Man.

Yeah like I said in my post it is boring as gently caress and by no means optimal, but it's relatively trivial. I've done it a few times and maybe had one kind-of close call but I am pretty sure I was running very minimal buff potions - Ironskin, Endurance, Well Fed and the sharpening wheel buff were probably it, and maybe a less-than-Godly Daybreak to boot. Fully kitted out, you're just slightly adjusting angles of your Daybreaks for several minutes and that's it.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

You get 100 medals per event after either Plantera or the Golem. Be warned that the final wave has a pretty loving tough boss. He dropped a cool melee weapon with a right click alternate attack, which is as powerful as my nebula pickaxe. :goleft:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
The new mode is pretty fun, but I think the banners are bugged - I killed a few hundred of most critters, but I only got one banner (the lightning bug one) which was odd.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

King Doom posted:

The new mode is pretty fun, but I think the banners are bugged - I killed a few hundred of most critters, but I only got one banner (the lightning bug one) which was odd.

They don't work like the normal Terraria banners.

Leinfors posted:

This is intended. Banners from the DD2 event work differently from normal banners, and their drop rates scaled in comparison to how common the enemy is during the invasion.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, about the new sentinel summons: during the invasion are they uncapped as long as you have the special mana, or do you absolutely need the accessories/armor to use more than one?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They're uncapped during the event. And the classic sentries are also uncapped during the event.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
As an interesting aside, you can't MINE blocks while the event's running, but you can still BOMB them. I haven't yet set up a test to see if that's actually exploitable, but if it is and you wanna try it, then you might wanna go ahead and check as I suspect it'll be patched in a hot second, assuming the waves don't already recheck whether the path is valid. :v:

E: Further reading and playing shows that for the most part the event isn't TOO unreasonable, but it scales to a quite unpleasant level on a post-endgame Expert world. The mobs appear to be immune to lava, but not to trap damage; they're too chufty for traps to wear them down readily on their own, but a line of spikeball traps over the spawns will chip away at them, knock them out of their floaty summoned state, and will SEVERELY slow them down. Tie those traps to a timer and you can conveniently shut it off between waves just long enough to collect the dropped mana before the next wave, looks like.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 16, 2016

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I started a new Large world on Expert and I have a few questions. Is Expert generally worth it for a returning player? It says the rewards are better and I do like a challenge. What are some good things to do once I start in a fresh world on this difficulty?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

I started a new Large world on Expert and I have a few questions. Is Expert generally worth it for a returning player? It says the rewards are better and I do like a challenge. What are some good things to do once I start in a fresh world on this difficulty?

Expert mode is not very fun at all, and only two or three of the rewards are even worth it. One of these rewards drops from the final boss of the game. Many of the boss fights are made substantially harder for only a crap reward, too. Also regular enemy damage and health are increased substantially, and their health keeps going up as the game goes on. Regular green slimes have somewhere north of 220 HP on my endgame expert mode world.

If you're willing to persist, then just be prepared for pain. Until you get some good armor, basic zombies will one or two shot you.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You really don't want to play on a large world by yourself. Just makes poo poo take forever to get to.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
It's only going to be me and one or two others. I think I'll dump it back to Normal size and difficulty. Thanks all.

Edit: Are summoner builds worth it now?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 17, 2016

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Yeah, I just started a new world for myself Medium sized and it takes aaaaages to get to the ocean to fish in the early game. It might be different with two people, but playing solo I'd stick with a Small world.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Counterpoint: I'm not very good at this game and I'm loving Expert. Also, the expert reward for the Eye of Cthulhu is amazing. Just make sure you've got corruption instead of crimson, because the boss reward for corruption is a million times better.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

God drat, Last Prism makes the tower defense easy.

...Along with every other invasion in the game.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

if you have an appreciable amount of skill, or just patience, and have played through the game at some point prior, expert mode is the way to go. not only do you get the exclusive boss items, enemies drop double coins as well. you can achieve perfect reforges with just normal gameplay

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

that ivy guy posted:

if you have an appreciable amount of skill, or just patience, and have played through the game at some point prior, expert mode is the way to go. not only do you get the exclusive boss items, enemies drop double coins as well. you can achieve perfect reforges with just normal gameplay

As someone who has done Expert a lot including Mediumcore, do not listen to this man unless you really want pain.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also severely underestimating the amount of coin late/endgame reforges cost. You'll need a cash farm even in expert.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Expert mode is actually both cool and good.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

As someone who has done Expert a lot including Mediumcore, do not listen to this man unless you really want pain.

The moral is not using Mediumcore.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Expert can be very frustrating if you're not extremely patient and if you don't have a very in-depth knowledge of the game. I eventually hit a wall on my Expert playthrough and hopped back over to Normal, then returned to finish Expert after the endgame, and it was still extremely tough the whole way through. I don't recommend Expert unless you're thoroughly masochistic and already very well-versed with the game.

On the other hand, a few of the Expert mode rewards are really, REALLY good, so you might want to jump into an Expert mode world every now and then as you progress to sweep up some of the rewards in the back catalog. Just be prepared for pain. Expert is fun and challenging, until you find a point where you can't go through it and you can't go around and then you know that you have truly, in fact, located The Wall.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Problem with small worlds is that they're small, so don't be surprised if you get attacked by sky biome enemies just because you're on a plateau. I had a small world where if you jumped (starting character jump) you could spawn a harpy.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, looking at the Wiki I realized that you can save the Etherian Mana for another run by quickly moving it to the trash just before it disappears. You can get around thirty in the last wave, and if you're too busy fighting the boss to put down more sentries it works out nicely, allowing your next run to start with three more sentries than normal. And a field of a dozen or more Ballistae works quite well for beating the boss, I found.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I spent around 20 minutes searching underground for the Tavernkeep and when I teleported back to the surface for more Hunter potions, he was right next to my house.

...Thus is Terraria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I went to an Arena world with crystals and pedestal bought from my main base world and the unconscious man spawned right in the middle of the traps during the invasion.

(I didn't manage to click him in time.)