Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/798713868428120068

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, I gotta believe in the far history, when this is all said and done, Jared Kushner is going to be the subject of immense historical interest.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

HorseRenoir posted:

Day Seven

https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/798708532493381633

sounds like the Trump administration is going to be run just as well as the Trump campaign

:drat:

Usually a Presidential administration serves as a way for up-and-comers of a party to get some executive experience, or for a President to counter his weaknesses by picking people with lots of expertise in a subject area. But apparently the Trump administration is so toxic that Republicans are running away from serving in it. What an amazing clusterfuck.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Can we hope he steps down as Senator, becomes AG for an incredibly short period of time and then is fired by Trump?

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

LOL @ losing in spectacular fashion though, the only thing really spectacular (besides the fact that he won at all) is how unprepared he was for winning since he and his team thought he was going to lose by a large margin, just like everyone else did.

They lost to a man with something like a 70% unfavorability rating.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

So I guess he wants to prosecute Clinton after all?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i am 99% sure that trump is only doing this so that there can be four more years of zodiac killer jokes at ted cruz's expense.

still a rather interesting appointment, i wonder whether trump's team is trying to endear itself to cruz loyalists or if they just want cruz out of the senate to avoid obstruction.

also puts cruz in an awkward position if trump decides to pursue a clinton investigation.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Don't do it Trump he'll gently caress you.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

Day Seven

https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/798708532493381633

sounds like the Trump administration is going to be run just as well as the Trump campaign

No joke, sounds a lot like Hitler's cabinet

:godwin:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

It's gonna own when he has to release those kennedy assassination files.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

It's gonna own when he has to release those kennedy assassination files.

Jesus, I just looked this up this really happens next year.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

disjoe posted:

No joke, sounds a lot like Hitler's cabinet

:godwin:

Remember when Godwin posts were something to mock

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Crowsbeak posted:

Don't do it Trump he'll gently caress you.

Now I want it to happen.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

sit on my Facebook posted:

Truth

Seriously, you're kidding yourself if you think any of the things listed are establishment Democrat positions. Strengthening unions? Get the gently caress outta here

So I was with a union, door knocking for Obama in 2012. We spent a lot of time talking to OFA, and OFA was glad to get help from us. When it come to supporting pro-union policies, though, we got nothing. They were happy to have our help, but they clearly didn't care about our poo poo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

QuoProQuid posted:

i am 99% sure that trump is only doing this so that there can be four more years of zodiac killer jokes at ted cruz's expense.

still a rather interesting appointment, i wonder whether trump's team is trying to endear itself to cruz loyalists or if they just want cruz out of the senate to avoid obstruction.

also puts cruz in an awkward position if trump decides to pursue a clinton investigation.

Still pretty sure that this is output of an terribly, horrifically, terrifyingly interesting backroom fight over who gets access to Donald.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Now I want it to happen.

I just hate Cruz more than I hate Trump.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

a foolish pianist posted:

So I was with a union, door knocking for Obama in 2012. We spent a lot of time talking to OFA, and OFA was glad to get help from us. When it come to supporting pro-union policies, though, we got nothing. They were happy to have our help, but they clearly didn't care about our poo poo.

Classic third way triangulation is to do nothing while the other side is sharpening their knives and then ask which of the lesser two evils you would like.

Obama's NLRB has been making incremental reforms but not nearly enough to reverse the losses in public sector union membership under his tenure

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

https://mobile.twitter.com/kerpen/status/798699621509984257

for those not familiar, rohrabacher is an actual, honest-to-god putinist

edit: i've seen rohrbacher at committee hearings and he is honestly one of the most vociferous defenders of russia that i have seen outside the russian embassy

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 16, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

a foolish pianist posted:

I haven't heard any faction say "I feel like the Democratic Party really cared about us" - rather the opposite.So maybe what they need is to get a bit more touchy-freely and express praise for their supporters. Donald Trump seemed to be very good at getting people he didn't give a poo poo about feel that he cared about them, deeply and personally.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Owner of the company I work for maxes out his donations to Democrats every year and will instantly walk an employee out if there's any hint of someone trying to unionize the place

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Torpor posted:

Kshame Sawant, 2020! Start the subforum we need to get started.

Can't, she's an immigrant. Gotta be natural born an anchor baby to be president.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

RandomBlue posted:

It doesn't matter what anyone says, what things actually happen or how bad things get, this will be the response of the vast majority of pro-Trump voters for the foreseeable future. You know, just like the election, it should be no surprise at this point.

LOL @ losing in spectacular fashion though, the only thing really spectacular (besides the fact that he won at all) is how unprepared he was for winning since he and his team thought he was going to lose by a large margin, just like everyone else did.

To be honest the fact that even Trump's political advisors were caught by surprise does not really undermine the case that people espousing conventional political wisdom based in pre-election assumptions have lost a great deal of credibility.

I'm also not sure why the notion that the Dems should be re-centering around economic populism is so hard for people in this thread to swallow- the Democratic party just lost brutally due to being abandoned by a formerly reliable demographic that appears to be primarily motivated by economic concerns and a sense of abandonment (i.e. the candidate and national party could not even bother to show up to pay lip-service to them). Without those people the Democratic Party does not have a winning coalition. I'm not sure why prioritizing policies that benefit those people (and the working class as a whole) requires "back burnering" other concerns any more than, say, advocating feminist causes undermines fighting for racial justice, especially if you're taking a positive rights approach.

LGD fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 16, 2016

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Motto posted:

I don't think trabisnikof is hillary clinton tbh

Are you sure about this?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lmao, whats the over under on trump getting couped by the military if he keeps on appointing russia's biggest buddies to key positions

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Are you sure about this?

It makes me think of that idiot booster of hers in the daily beast.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Yes that is what hilbots are doing. Maybe admit your ideology is dead. Also Trab your side lost us three out of the five past elections. I know now your lying hat your not a HRC supporter. But any thing to save face.

It's pretty sad to watch trabis fight tooth and nail to make sure Hillary remained unblemished during the primary and the general despite it being extremely obvious to anyone that PRAGMATISM was total bs

And all he does is complain and stubbornly refuse to admit that his wing of the Democratic Party was owned by the incompetent trump campaign

white sauce fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 16, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Are the Republicans going to pretend that they like the Russians or are there still enough Cold Warriors out there to push back on someone like Rohrabacher? I know that John McCain put out an anti-Putin statement today

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm taking literally every name being floated for literally every position with a HUGE grain of salt since there's no chance that they even know themselves.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm taking literally every name being floated for literally every position with a HUGE grain of salt since there's no chance that they even know themselves.

It be funny if Trump's first year is all his nominees getting Harriet Meyer'd.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This thread is more fractured and chaotic than the actual DNC is. Thank god people in actual positions of power and influence re less retarded.

it's really weird. the Establishment is saying "god yes it's clear we need a different direction and we're willing to cede leadership to the progressive wing of the party". there has been broad support for Ellison from basically everywhere, and yet here comes timmy dipshit into the uspol thread to say Maybe Our Problem Is Letting Black People Vote In Primaries. how could that possibly be an appropriate topic in the current direction of democratic party, or even in any part of american politics as a whole?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

Are the Republicans going to pretend that they like the Russians or are there still enough Cold Warriors out there to push back on someone like Rohrabacher? I know that John McCain put out an anti-Putin statement today

No, the Russia thing is going to be a major loving problem for Trump at some point but not something goes wrong and it becomes appropriate to stab everyone in the back.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/798721142525665280

seems legit

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Agreed...at this point it seems like 4-5 names are being released for each major position and yet no one has been chosen yet.

I do absolutely believe the idea that nobody wants to get involved in this shitshow and the smart people are staying away.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Only Trump knows the finalists and he's saving it for sweeps week!

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/798721142525665280

E;fb

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's really weird. the Establishment is saying "god yes it's clear we need a different direction and we're willing to cede leadership to the progressive wing of the party". there has been broad support for Ellison from basically everywhere, and yet here comes timmy dipshit into the uspol thread to say Maybe Our Problem Is Letting Black People Vote In Primaries. how could that possibly be an appropriate topic in the current direction of democratic party, or even in any part of american politics as a whole?

Cause corncobs don't wanna let go of power and leadership.

(They don't actually have any power and leadership but their chosen candidates do and they don't wanna lose it)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

LGD posted:

I'm also not sure why the notion that the Dems should be re-centering around economic populism is so hard for people in this thread to swallow- the Democratic party just lost brutally due to being abandoned by a formerly reliable demographic that appears to be primarily motivated by economic concerns and a sense of abandonment (i.e. the candidate and national party could not even bother to show up to pay lip-service to them). Without those people the Democratic Party does not have a winning coalition. I'm not sure why prioritizing policies that benefits those requires "back burnering" other concerns any more than, say, advocating feminist causes undermines fighting for racial justice, especially if you're taking a positive rights approach.

There are a lot of theories as to why she lost and most of the big ones probably had some degree of contribution to the loss. Personally I think the biggest factor for dems/anti-Trump voters was that his opposition just not taking him seriously. You could see it in every debate. Hillary had that constant look of "Are you loving kidding me?" and seemed to be entirely dismissive of his chances of winning. Her ads were definitely more focused on "this guy is a joke" than on her platform.

That was my mindset as well, but I still went out in voted. I think there were a lot of people that stayed home, voted third party or wrote in silly poo poo because they thought it was a done deal. Brexit all over again despite everyone pointing at Brexit and telling them this is why you don't vote as a joke.

Dems being in love with the idea of having another presidential first was also a huge part of the issue. Next time try focusing on a candidate with the best chance of winning, not just grabbing another diversity win. If the best candidate is a woman or minority, awesome, but don't force the issue.

There were so many big problems with this election as a whole I don't think you can point at one and say this is the problem (well, besides Trump).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sounds like he needs to order up a prime-time TV special to make the final announcements!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm starting to feel like there is more than a nonzero chance that come Jan 20th the government will stop working because the Trump people didn't know they had to hire people to fill outgoing Obama positions. This is becoming insane.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

He really does need Obama to babysit him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

withak posted:

Sounds like he needs to order up a prime-time TV special to make the final announcements!

"Your Secretary of Defense will be..."
members of the press pool eye each other nervously
cuts to commercial

• Locked thread