Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cardiac posted:

Never said anything about a band being good in only one peak.
Uh

Cardiac posted:

I find it funny how so many people fail to realize that Metallica had their creative peak during the 80-90 and will never return to the same creativity and drive.
This is something that happens to every band.
Metallica just happened to have a better run than almost every other band.
Might wanna rephrase that, then?

Also,

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Bolt Thrower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Black Sabas posted:

reek of putrefaction is better than symphonies of sicknesss :twisted: :can:

If Carcass hadn't released Swansong and Surgical Steel they'd have a literal perfect discography.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 15, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Faffel posted:

If Carcass hadn't released Swansong and Surgical Steel they'd have a literal perfect discography.

Surgical Steel is better than Reek of Putrefaction though

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Surgical Steel is better than Reek of Putrefaction though

It's all good, gently caress it! Carcass is the only legendary metal band I've been able to see live and it was awesome.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Nordick posted:

Uh

Might wanna rephrase that, then?

Also,

Could have been more precise of course, and less facetious, but what would be the fun of that.
But it is not like Metallica have produced anything on the same level as the quartet Ride, Master, Justice and Black, where Black came out 91.
That is 25 years ago, and it is pretty naive that Metallica would be able to return to that.
Especially considering Hetfield would need to return to being a stage-frightened alchoholic as well as the return of Newsted alternatively raising Burton from the grave.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I don't mean to drag up an argument literally older than I am, but when you put together Metallica's best run of 4 albums straight, you seriously leave off Kill 'Em All in favor of the s/t?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Faffel posted:

I will defend Swansong being great until I die.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I don't think anyone can say Carcass has done any real bad, so that's more than can be said for some groups of middle-aged musicians in the metal genre.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nazzadan posted:

I don't mean to drag up an argument literally older than I am, but when you put together Metallica's best run of 4 albums straight, you seriously leave off Kill 'Em All in favor of the s/t?

yeah I wasn't going to say anything but that's nuts

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Decameron wrote a really cool song that's half Metallica and half Swedish meloblackdeath. I've never heard anything else like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gNxGPQiEFA

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Not that its ideal, but I'd rather listen to Swansong than Heartwork. Heartwork is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 16, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cardiac posted:

Could have been more precise of course, and less facetious, but what would be the fun of that.
But it is not like Metallica have produced anything on the same level as the quartet Ride, Master, Justice and Black, where Black came out 91.
That is 25 years ago, and it is pretty naive that Metallica would be able to return to that.
Especially considering Hetfield would need to return to being a stage-frightened alchoholic as well as the return of Newsted alternatively raising Burton from the grave.
I wasn't talking about Metallica, they can get hosed for all I care.
I was talking about the bolded part that basically seems to say "Every band ever will have their one peak and then they'll lose that spark and never get as good again", eventhough that's not at all true.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah the idea of an artist or band peaking and never getting back there is stupid

case in point: sonny sharrock

the reason bands like metallica or whoever drop off a cliff is because they quit writing all the time once they don't have to do the constant album/tour cycle to make a living

it's a skill like anything else. if you don't keep working at it atrophy sets in

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the reason bands like metallica or whoever drop off a cliff

Too soon

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Wyzt posted:

Not that its ideal, but I'd rather listen to Swansong than Heartwork. Heartwork is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

what the hell is this

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

COOL CORN posted:

what the hell is this

Yeah, all that ridiculous post did was get me to listen to the loving awesome title track of that album.

https://youtu.be/ZpbpOgUybBM

yesssss

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

No I'm just getting upset with myself that I'm missing Carcass this weekend. :smith:

...because I needed the money to see Vektor and Black Fast oNE WEEK FROM NOW BITCHES :kheldragar:

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

COOL CORN posted:

what the hell is this

Heartwork is def not my favourite Carcass album. Lots of good riffs but most of the songs have pretty boring structures. Swanswong is more of the same, though.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Faffel posted:

Heartwork is def not my favourite Carcass album. Lots of good riffs but most of the songs have pretty boring structures. Swanswong is more of the same, though.

Necroticism is obviously the loving best.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
is it safe to say that dream no more and halo on fire are two of the best songs metallica has ever written?

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

DEAR RICHARD posted:

is it safe to say that dream no more and halo on fire are two of the best songs metallica has ever written?

Yeah, that's an amazingly wrong statement.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Gotta give 'em credit for trolling the poo poo out of black metal idiots with their latest video.

And trolling the poo poo out of the music-listening public for over 25 years.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

DEAR RICHARD posted:

lol forever

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
tau cross owns. listen to tau cross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdug9VxOuAQ

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

they're the two best on album at least ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

DEAR RICHARD posted:

they're the two best on album at least ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
we knew we weren't getting another Justice but Dream No More is a decent Reload b-side

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I listened to the new Metallica last night all the way through and it basically just struck me as a groovy doom album since the same riff just gets repeated in slightly different ways

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Gotta give 'em credit for trolling the poo poo out of black metal idiots with their latest video.

I'm not sure if a music video directed by a member of Bathory paying tribute to Dead and Euronymous is trolling. The song sucked, though.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

symbolic posted:

No I'm just getting upset with myself that I'm missing Carcass this weekend. :smith:

They're not all that great live these days anyway.

Varg posted:

I listened to the new Metallica last night all the way through and it basically just struck me as a groovy doom album since the same riff just gets repeated in slightly different ways

Sounds like you're not listening to the right doom records

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The songs are much better but they still suffer from way too loving long syndrome which has plagued Metallicas albums since St Anger.

and for gently caress sake someone needs to sit Lars in front of a drum kit with no snare drum and tell him to come up with some loving drum fills. Just the tip of that iceberg though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

Strong disagree. They put on probably the best metal show I've seen this year.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A human heart posted:

Yeah, but it's still Carcass. :smith:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Strong disagree. They put on probably the best metal show I've seen this year.

When I saw them they were ok but not amazing or anything, and one of them hurt his hand somehow so they had to cut their set short.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Laserface posted:

and for gently caress sake someone needs to sit Lars in front of a drum kit with no snare drum and tell him to come up with some loving drum fills.

poo poo, some oldschool metal drummers can do just fine with a snare. I'm thinking McBrain on Somewhere in Time. Outstanding drum work on that album and lots of interesting snare technique.

Ulrich can't even come up with a good, basic drum pattern, so let's be real -- fills are beyond him. Listen to "Man Unkind." The dumb fucker plays 3/3 waltz patterns over a song written in straight 4/4 and it's distracting as poo poo. He's a loving retard with zero technique.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Has anyone written a thorough examination of all the ways Lars sucks at drumming? I have a work friend who thinks it's all unfair hate but I don't know enough about drumming to explain it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Snowy posted:

Has anyone written a thorough examination of all the ways Lars sucks at drumming? I have a work friend who thinks it's all unfair hate but I don't know enough about drumming to explain it.

This would be pretty informative in a certain sense; while I can talk a little bit about what I like in guitar or vocals I don't know dick about what makes good or bad drumming.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ain't a drummer either but my metric is deciding whether they're just around to keep time, or are actually using the drums as an instrument.

If you never notice the drummer while listening to a song, they're an overpaid metronome.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Who wrote the drums for ...And Justice for All? I refuse to believe it was Lars. It doesn't sound like his playing on any other album.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vulture Culture posted:

Who wrote the drums for ...And Justice for All? I refuse to believe it was Lars. It doesn't sound like his playing on any other album.

http://www.soundonsound.com/people/metallica-one-classic-tracks

quote:

"'One' was played entirely to a click track, and it took us probably half a day to figure out the varying tempos,” Flemming Rasmussen now recalls. "The chorus was actually a lot quicker than the verses, so I had to manually punch in and out a Linn Drum click track on the 24‑track to make sure we got that tempo transition over the bridge, before it then fell back to the original tempo for the verses. Kirk and James played their guide parts together with the drums. Then we took the tempo from that and, once we had laid down the click track, Lars did a quick run‑through and the guitarists played their parts to that. From there, we started building the track, section by section.

"The whole thing with that specific song — as well as several of the other songs — was their desire for a technical perfection that would have been easy in these days of computer editing but which, back then, we had to achieve manually. Lars's playing had to be extremely tight, and we did 20‑ to 30‑second segments with me punching in and out over 18 drum tracks. When we got a good bit, we'd sit and listen to it a couple of times to make sure it was cool, and if, say, one hi‑hat hit was a little late, I'd chop out a tiny bit of tape with a razor to make it exactly right. That was a long and tiring process, and whereas it would now take about half a day to complete one of those drum tracks, back then it took us a minimum of three to four days. For each song I had a big envelope full of bits of two‑inch tape that I had chopped out, and I remember joking to Lars that they should hold a competition for the fans, enabling them to win lost bits from his drum tracks... He didn't find that at all amusing.

Snowy posted:

the short answer is they're pretty much the only metal band where the guitar is the primary timekeeping instrument

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
May as well just dump the sequencers & faux bass modules, pick up a guitar, a bass & a drum set, & make some REAL dark Music. It's called Metal, & has many shades ranging from Thrash Metal to Melodic Death Metal to Satanic Death Metal to Black Metal to Blackened Death Metal to Ambient Metal to Grind to Industrial & many other sub-genres. Techno music is for fourth graders.