Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

The move maybe makes sense if they were planning on rebuilding, but they then proceeded to go into "win now" mode. And they got essentially nothing in return. That 2nd round pick has restrictions on it that make it really lovely. I guess I just don't see the point in the deal. Especially when Shumpert was an RFA and there is always a chance you could get him for cheap.

I think I'd rather have an extra 10 mil to throw at a FA than Shumpert if I was trying to get the best possible team I could on the floor. I dunno, I guess Shump looked 100% the kind of guy that would get overpaid in RFA by someone so cutting your loss there makes sense.

I do agree with your JR comment though, if for no other reason than you always put value in a shooter, if not a shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think it will help improve the talent level of the league tremendously. Before it was a no brainer to go to Europe if you were a fringe guy, but some of those guys may stay thinking it may be a better opportunity to jump to the NBA.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Noah hasn't been good in 2 years. His knee is shot. I love the guy to death but I don't know how any GM could watch film of him the last couple seasons and think he would be a net positive. Lopez is a pretty decent big on a really good contract.

I am glad Noah got paid because he was underpaid in Chicago and is a really good guy.

Yeah I've been shouting how the Noah deal was hot garbage for a long time, but Lopez, as a player, does completely different things than Noah does. You can see why Phil would sign Noah; he's the best passing center in the league by a mile.

The obvious problem is that Noah is garbage now.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Ted Leonsis, Wizards owner posted:

But it is very, very early in the season. We haven’t played 10 percent of our games this year. Again, if we learned anything from Washington, D.C. and the political season, we should not call the election too early.

Enough early ballots are in to call the election for the Wizards suck.

All hail President Wizards Suck

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Lockback posted:

Eh, Mudiay would count because he grew up here but he is discounted for not being good.

He might be the best example, but that's a weak outlier. I dunno, I think its cool and all but I don't think it will help the talent pool tremendously. What it may do is help middling players have a place to recover from injury or something to make another run.

Oh I thought you meant good at the time that they elected to forego college. Mudiay is definitely not good.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/798270621729914881

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think it'll impact top high school players much. I think it'll benefit fringe NBA guys who would normally have to run off to Europe and hope they could stay on the NBA radar. Now they can stay in the States and play under a more traditional NBA system.

chunkles posted:

That D-League thing is cool. Add their per diem and poo poo and they're actually at a livable wage. Now if they could just get some D-League teams that aren't in the rear end end of nowhere (Austin and Santa Cruz excluded).

Have teams in New York, Chicago, Toronto and Dallas these days. It's not that bad anymore!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wow the anti-Kawhi!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

same as his O face.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Wow the anti-Kawhi!

(Dave Chapelle as Prince voice) This bores me.

Niwrad posted:

Have teams in New York, Chicago, Toronto and Dallas these days. It's not that bad anymore!

I think it's A+ trolling that the D-League has expanded to a bunch more teams and hasn't considered putting one in Seattle

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Isn't a Seattle NBA team basically inevitable at this point

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

I don't think it'll impact top high school players much. I think it'll benefit fringe NBA guys who would normally have to run off to Europe and hope they could stay on the NBA radar. Now they can stay in the States and play under a more traditional NBA system.

I mean if Hoffman Estates is Chicago then so is like Schaumburg, Joliet and Naperville

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

morestuff posted:

Isn't a Seattle NBA team basically inevitable at this point

Pretty much. The question is if it's through expansion or a team moving their, really.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

I mean if Hoffman Estates is Chicago then so is like Schaumburg, Joliet and Naperville

I just meant you can live and hang out in Chicago if you play for them. Not stuck in Portland, Maine.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

film is for nerds

https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/798937296682651648

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Who was the last good US born player who skipped the college track? I'm legit happy they are giving d league players decent salaries, but I'm not sure if this affects the pro game much.

Prior to now their options were to either uproot their lives and play overseas and play for poverty wages in the d-league so I don't know how telling it is that it hasn't happened a lot to date. If they can actually make decentish money playing in the d-league more guys might consider it, especially not they're borderline academically or have other college eligibility issues.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

chunkles posted:

That D-League thing is cool. Add their per diem and poo poo and they're actually at a livable wage. Now if they could just get some D-League teams that aren't in the rear end end of nowhere (Austin and Santa Cruz excluded).

The rear end ends of nowhere are the places that pay to see minor league games because they don't have other options. I mean as a fan I get it ( and the Raptors D-League team is in the GTA so we got a best case scenario) but minor leagues really thrive in smaller markets.

I guess it depends on the appetite of the fans. I'm not an expert, but isn't minor league baseball mostly centred around smaller cities? On the other hand, every town and city in Canada seems to have a successful minor league hockey team whether they already have an NHL team or not.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm not hoping for superstars to avoid college, I'm hoping roster spots 7-12 are way up in quality because half the league have garbage benches with no upside.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

There are probably a lot of good reasons for it, arena rent and other stuff. I'm just being flippant

Especially since I just watched Kyle Wiltjer demolish some guy in the post, and hit a bunch of 3s and stepback jumpers. I want to see this in person.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Sixers will sit Embiid vs the Wizards tonight so we will get to see Embiid vs KAT tomorrow night on national TV.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

chunkles posted:

There are probably a lot of good reasons for it, arena rent and other stuff. I'm just being flippant

Especially since I just watched Kyle Wiltjer demolish some guy in the post, and hit a bunch of 3s and stepback jumpers. I want to see this in person.

I like your new av

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

thanks I was kinda scouting for a Harden av for a while but didn't see anything I liked. I hopped on this one as soon as I saw it

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lockback posted:

Who was the last good US born player who skipped the college track? I'm legit happy they are giving d league players decent salaries, but I'm not sure if this affects the pro game much.
Do you mean after the high school guys? If so, how many meaningful US prospects have even tried that route? There wasn't any incentive for it before, whereas now you're coming out ahead money wise.

And anyways, I would imagine the D-League boost is more for young players who aren't going to get quality NBA minutes and retaining the borderline NBA guys than as an option for high schoolers.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lockback posted:

It's not the same with them having to go to leagues where a coach may not want to develop someone who is gone the next year. They need to let parent teams of D-League teams be able to get the rights to players brought up in their D-League system. Maybe combine and expand the drafts a round? It's cool that a D-League team will be able to pay a high school guy decently but what is the motivation to develop those players over players that the parent club has the rights to? The Texas Legends had P. J. Hairston on the team after he got kicked out of UNC but it doesn't really help the Mavs much to put time into developing him since he then went into the real draft and was picked up by another team.

While there aren't many good cases of good players that didn't play in college left, we just saw a ridiculous era with talents like this LeBron, Dirk, Kobe, KG, TMac, Dwight, Amar'e, Tyson Chandler, Jermaine O'Neal. They need to make some kind of change because any of those guys having to go to college would have been a waste of their time.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 16, 2016

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Spacebump posted:

It's not the same with them having to go to leagues where a coach may not want to develop someone who is gone the next year. They need to let parent teams of D-League teams be able to get the rights to players brought up in their D-League system. Maybe combine and expand the drafts a round? It's cool that a D-League team will be able to pay a high school guy decently but what is the motivation to develop those players over players that the parent club has the rights to?

While there aren't many good cases of good players that didn't play in college left, we just saw a ridiculous era with talents like this LeBron, Dirk, Kobe, KG, TMac, Dwight, Amar'e, Tyson Chandler, Jermaine O'Neal. They need to make some kind of change because any of those guys having to go to college would have been a waste of their time.

I really liked the first year of one-and-dones being the realization of coaches everywhere that guys like Kevin Durant were going to come in break the NCAA over their knee

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Agents would probably hate it but they should definitely expand the draft to three rounds, I was hoping that'd be baked into this CBA. Not sure if they can do that without the players association's consent

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

morestuff posted:

Agents would probably hate it but they should definitely expand the draft to three rounds, I was hoping that'd be baked into this CBA. Not sure if they can do that without the players association's consent

I don't see why they would do this at all, there are already not enough good players to fill 2 rounds, I can't imagine what kind of hot garbage would get drafted in the 3rd round.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Gynecolojustice posted:

my dream scenario: a big plate of Cuban food and some loud for tonight's NBA offerings on ESPN

Hell yeah

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't see why they would do this at all, there are already not enough good players to fill 2 rounds, I can't imagine what kind of hot garbage would get drafted in the 3rd round.

D League players

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

morestuff posted:

D League players

Most 2nd rounders already go right to the D-league, if they are signed at all.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
is there a salary cap for the d-league

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

got some chores tonight posted:

is there a salary cap for the d-league

Pretty sure up till now there was a limit on how many "big" (like $25k) salaries a team could hand out. So effectively something similar

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think the max salary was 90k or something? I might be inventing that. You could send a guy with an NBA contract there, but the contract still counted against your NBA cap.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Most 2nd rounders already go right to the D-league, if they are signed at all.

When every team in the league has an affiliate there's already going to be a lot more roster spots that need to get filled anyway, and tagging a guy with draft rights is a good way to incentivize teams to develop them. Only something like 10 percent of baseball minor leaguers ever make MLB

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Do you mean after the high school guys? If so, how many meaningful US prospects have even tried that route? There wasn't any incentive for it before, whereas now you're coming out ahead money wise.

And anyways, I would imagine the D-League boost is more for young players who aren't going to get quality NBA minutes and retaining the borderline NBA guys than as an option for high schoolers.

Brandon Jennings pre-achilles
Mudiay was a top recruit
Jeremy Evans was recruited pretty heavily
So was the guy playing in Australia now
Thon Maker played in prep school for (4) or 1 extra year depending on how you want to slice it in Canada

But the proglem is that european teams dontreally care about developing young players they know will leave in a year, so its only an option if college is out and you rreally need the money rather than exposure you'd get in the d-league

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 16, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Spacebump posted:

It's not the same with them having to go to leagues where a coach may not want to develop someone who is gone the next year. They need to let parent teams of D-League teams be able to get the rights to players brought up in their D-League system. Maybe combine and expand the drafts a round? It's cool that a D-League team will be able to pay a high school guy decently but what is the motivation to develop those players over players that the parent club has the rights to? The Texas Legends had P. J. Hairston on the team after he got kicked out of UNC but it doesn't really help the Mavs much to put time into developing him since he then went into the real draft and was picked up by another team.

NBA coaching is still NBA coaching. They might not get the attention that that D-League team's parent team's draft pick is getting. But they are still surrounded by coaches and others who know and are teaching the NBA game. And who themselves are probably trying to get a bench coaching job in the NBA.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

Dwight is still a good defensive center, he's just not the superstar one he was before injury. He was that in Houston too. People tend to round down "Worse but still good" to "Bad".

Good players for 6/14 from 2 all the time, it's not worth getting upset over. It's not good but its "regular down game" and not worth changing your shots over.

Its easier to be found liable in a civil court than it is to be found guilty in a criminal one. Being exonerated in a civil court is usually a pretty good indication that you would not be found guilty in a criminal one.

You can be a pretty bad post defender and still an awesome overall defensive player. See: Prime Dwight Howard.

His post defense has improved as he's gotten older (you don't need to be super athletic to play good post defense) but it's still on the mediocre side.

morestuff posted:

Owners would hate it too, a lot of teams already aren't drafting with an intention of a guy making their team in the second round. The teams that love it though would probably be excited.

It is a CBA thing though.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Why do the Knicks do some of the things they do

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm convinced the Bulls made a D-League team to give more Iowa State people jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I'm convinced the Bulls made a D-League team to give more Iowa State people jobs.

Gar Forman John Paxson, Tim Floyd and their Iowa State posse.

• Locked thread