Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Dropped ball that the ubs aren't at least implicit shout outs to missingno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Calaveron posted:

Dropped ball that the ubs aren't at least implicit shout outs to missingno

I wouldn't be surprised if there's gonna be a double-secret UB-?? that's just Missingno as a future event DLC.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Missingno existed in the jp version right

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

gourdcaptain posted:

My one regret for picking Yellow to play is no Missingno. I know Nintendo is just going to reject it from PokeBank and plenty of people are going to try, but I still have the inexplicable urge to do it. Although I did help myself to the Mew glitch just to say I'd done it once. (Supposedly you can do Mew Glitch using a transformed Ditto to get one of the variant Missingno (fossil/ghost) safely in Yellow, but that both requires a 'mon with a special of 182-184 which I would need to grind to, and I'm still not sure how to get off Cinnabar island back to the right trainer since the only Dittoes are in Pokemon Mansion/Unknown Dungeon and Surf requires the start menu which is disabled in Mew Glitch.)

If you catch the ghost or fossils they just turn into generic Missing No.

If you use a PC and switch boxes it forces the game to save, quit, reboot, you can use your start button again, push a rock or battle a trainer, encounter the ditto, fly back to the trainer you used to start trainer-fly.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oyster posted:

If you use a PC and switch boxes it forces the game to save, quit, reboot, you can use your start button again, push a rock or battle a trainer, encounter the ditto, fly back to the trainer you used to start trainer-fly.
:eyepop:

holy poo poo I had no idea you could do this

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Just do a UB - Garbled Numbers "Missing" and have it be a pure flying type with glitched skin textures

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

DACK FAYDEN posted:

:eyepop:

holy poo poo I had no idea you could do this

To elaborate, step by step:

Activate trainer-fly by flying away from a trainer after they've seen you.
Switch boxes at a pokecenter.
Quit and restart.
Battle a trainer, get led to the Pewter Museum, or use strength on a boulder (my personal favorite, I use the one in the Warden's house in Fuschia)
Encounter the ditto and have it transform into whatever Pokémon you need the special stat of.
Kill it or run, doesn't matter.
Get back to the trainer you flew from without encountering another Pokémon.

I have a complete living dex in both Red and Blue from doing this. Not doing Yellow because gently caress going into the basement of Pokémon Mansion that many times.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Is pokemon still decent if I have no idea what people are talking about on every page? I'd like to buy this one and beat it and do some post-game stuff but I've never really played one before, and with people posting their teams already decided and poo poo its like whoah, this looks complicated.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

queeb posted:

Is pokemon still decent if I have no idea what people are talking about on every page? I'd like to buy this one and beat it and do some post-game stuff but I've never really played one before, and with people posting their teams already decided and poo poo its like whoah, this looks complicated.

It's only complicated if you look under the hood and start :spergin: about stats. The main story part of the game is literally a game for children.

The post-game stuff ramps up in difficulty, as well as the multiplayer scene, though, and that's when you will want to open up Bulbapedia and let it transform you into a horrible spaceman who knows the difference between Intrinsic Values and Evolution Values.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Don't worry, Pokemon is very beginner friendly.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

queeb posted:

Don't pay too much attention to the regulars in Pokemon threads, they're already ingrained into the whole Pokemon scene so everything they're talking about re: teams etc. is either speculative or just sharing their own experiences, the games are still very user friendly and accessible.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

queeb posted:

Pokemon games are as complicated as you choose to make them. They're designed with six-year-olds in mind so pretty much any challenge outside of versus battles is largely self-imposed.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I have to put all my Gen VI friends in the bank tonight or tomorrow, correct? I wasn't finished with my current Y playthrough, but I don't want to miss out on keeping my buddies without having to find another friend with a 3DS.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NewFatMike posted:

I have to put all my Gen VI friends in the bank tonight or tomorrow, correct? I wasn't finished with my current Y playthrough, but I don't want to miss out on keeping my buddies without having to find another friend with a 3DS.

No, bank isn't even updating until January. Your dudes are totally safe.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

deadly_pudding posted:

It's only complicated if you look under the hood and start :spergin: about stats. The main story part of the game is literally a game for children.

The post-game stuff ramps up in difficulty, as well as the multiplayer scene, though, and that's when you will want to open up Bulbapedia and let it transform you into a horrible spaceman who knows the difference between Intrinsic Values and Evolution Values.

EVs stand for Effort Values, not Evolution Values
:goonsay:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NewFatMike posted:

No, you'll be able to add pokemon from Gen VI later. You won't be able to transfer anything from Pokemon Bank to Sun/Moon until January, anyway.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

cheetah7071 posted:

gently caress I OUTED MYSELF AS A CASUAL

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Ignore all the nerds saying you should do math or breed for specific abilities and whatnot. All of that stuff is for super ultra postgame/competitive.

Pick the pokeymans you like the most and use them. You'll get through the game just fine.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I will be keeping most or all of my eugenics program safely stored in X version, just so I can access horde EV training and blissey bases to hit level 100 for hyper training. Unless of course battle spot requires your pokemon to be born in gen 7 like the VGC does, in which case I guess I'm transferring it all up

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Crumbletron posted:

OK, thanks. I was mostly wondering if there was a way to be like "OK, I can stop chaining and just catch this one" during the battle but I guess not

Just use something like skill swap or worry seed

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cheetah7071 posted:

Eevee Training

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Seems like you can't do it, then - only reason you can use Ditto in RB is because you can Fly and then walk to that route with Dittos on it, 13 or whatever it is.

Maybe you can trigger the glitch by Digging out of Pokemon Mansion? That's all I can think of, if there's a conveniently placed Burglar there.

If there is, I kind of already cleared out the Trainers in there, so I can't.

The other stuff discussed after that sounds promising, though.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 16, 2016

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Oyster posted:

To elaborate, step by step:

Switch boxes at a pokecenter.
Quit and restart.

You don't need to do this in Yellow if you're just battling a trainer to unglitch. I flew, trainer battle'd, ditto'd or fought trainer with appropriate special stat pokemon, went back to original fly zone and it went off without a hitch everytime. One of the fly trainers I was using eventually glitched out and thought I beat him for whatever reason but there was another one close by Lavender Town so it didn't matter.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Got an email from Amazon that my Sun order got upgraded to release day shipping. So if anyone else is stuck in the boat I was in where it wasn't previously, check your email.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Countblanc posted:

Eevee Training

Eevee Veevees

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wow, I really hope they add Missingno as a real pokemon at some point if it still exists in the VC versions. It's the most legendary of all pokemon, a legend created organically outside of their control. It's beautiful in a way and there's no reason a glitch pokemon can't exist.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Got an email from Amazon that my Sun order got upgraded to release day shipping. So if anyone else is stuck in the boat I was in where it wasn't previously, check your email.

Still nothin'. :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't expect it, but if they actually make it so it's a "real" pokemon when you put it on the Bank and turns out to be an Ultra Beast, that'd be the dopest thing ever.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Honestly people that care about natures and breeding stuff ingame probably shouldn't even bother. From what I understand no generation has ever had the ability to stop you from using hacked pokemon in online wifi battles (though they try) and the only time there's more rigorous checks is when you get into major VGC tournaments. Even then, hacked pokemon slip through the cracks so those people must be doing SOMETHING to hack in pokemon and take them to real tournaments.

And obviously if you practice mostly with simulators you won't have any idea what pokemon you need to breed/train up for a while even if you were going to take a team to a real life event. I never bother checking IVs or nature on any of the pokemon I use ingame.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Mine is supposed to start shipping out today :f5:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Khanstant posted:

It's beautiful in a way and there's no reason a glitch pokemon can't exist.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I feel like the game where a big chunk of the plot involved alternate dimension pokemon crossing over to the player's world was the perfect opportunity to canonize Missingno as a thing that exists.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Ultima66 posted:

Even then, hacked pokemon slip through the cracks so those people must be doing SOMETHING to hack in pokemon and take them to real tournaments.

It became a lot easier to get away with it in Gen 6 when pokecheck died, because pokecheck was the only legitimacy checker that went as far as comparison checking the PID. Official Tournaments never took it that far.

It's less about "slipping through the cracks" and more about TPCI just not caring. As long as the pokemon is at least remotely conceivable their check wont bother to flag it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

Honestly people that care about natures and breeding stuff ingame probably shouldn't even bother. From what I understand no generation has ever had the ability to stop you from using hacked pokemon in online wifi battles (though they try) and the only time there's more rigorous checks is when you get into major VGC tournaments. Even then, hacked pokemon slip through the cracks so those people must be doing SOMETHING to hack in pokemon and take them to real tournaments.

And obviously if you practice mostly with simulators you won't have any idea what pokemon you need to breed/train up for a while even if you were going to take a team to a real life event. I never bother checking IVs or nature on any of the pokemon I use ingame.

I'm pretty sure most pokemon generators have tools nowadays to make sure the pokemon appear completely legit.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I mean I think as long as the stats and moves of a Pokemon are theoretically legal, then there doesn't need to be any checks beyond that to make sure people didn't hack in their Pokemon.

Whether or not any Wifi/tournament system does it or not there have always been ways to beat the system. Which means you really shouldn't give a poo poo about breeding perfect pokemon ingame.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Would getting Sun/Moon on Black Friday with the $99 Mario-edition New 3DS be the cheapest way to get this game and an up-to-date 3DS? I stopped playing handheld games when the original DS came out so I'm pretty out of the loop.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Just paid off my double pre-order and confirmed a midnight release at the Game Stop nearest my house. Gonna catch all the pokemon tomorrow night. :dance:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Fun Times! posted:

Would getting Sun/Moon on Black Friday with the $99 Mario-edition New 3DS be the cheapest way to get this game and an up-to-date 3DS? I stopped playing handheld games when the original DS came out so I'm pretty out of the loop.
Yes, although the 2DS might be cheaper on Black Friday and works functionally the same except it's just an ugly brick. The 2DS is already priced at $99 so it should be a little cheaper

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
mine said it wouldn't get to me until next monday despite paying extra for the fastest shipping option so i just cancelled it and bought it digitally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Yes, although the 2DS might be cheaper on Black Friday and works functionally the same except it's just an ugly brick. The 2DS is already priced at $99 so it should be a little cheaper

Is the 3D bad?