Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

greatn posted:

You are dumb. He has never said this. That is not representative of his beliefs. Social justice, racism, police abuse have all been a huge part of his directed and platform since he was disrupted at Netroots 2015. After that he made a sharp turn immediately towards addressing social justice and minority rights in both his stump speeches and platform.

The research shows that the reason black Americans voted overwhelmingly for Hillary had a huge amount to do with name recognition bolstered by the Democratic machine and not because black Americans could detect he did not care about race at all despite openly supporting and having conversations with groups like Black Lives Matter, who Hillary condescended to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

fits my needs posted:

Bernie should retire to the new lake house he bought with his wife in 90%+ lilly white Vermont and let others have a chance to speak, people that actually understand that the economy becoming better doesn't guarantee that the lives of minorities will as well.

counterpoint: shut up

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I know this is a bit to ask, but do you have a good article or something on the disruption being (explicitly or implicitly) the inflection point? That would be a fantastic datum in a dozen different ways in my fight for the forces of good.

I don't, unfortunately. It's my own recollection that the day or week after it happened he announced the hire of Symone Sanders and began talking about black lives matter and police brutality a lot. Or began the hiring process with the official announcement happening the same day the mic was taken from him in Portland.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fits my needs posted:

Bernie should retire to the new lake house he bought with his wife in 90%+ lilly white Vermont and let others have a chance to speak

I know talking about racism against whites is dumb, but this sentence is literally impugning someone for living in an area that has a lot of a specific race. Then you go on to say an opinion you have about something, with no evidence. You're dumb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

The research shows that the reason black Americans voted overwhelmingly for Hillary had a huge amount to do with name recognition bolstered by the Democratic machine and not because black Americans could detect he did not care about race at all despite openly supporting and having conversations with groups like Black Lives Matter, who Hillary condescended to

She had a loving 30 year head start on him in terms of relationships with many of these communities. Of course she did better in the primary than he did.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yes, two months is a silly time frame and I didn't notice that aspect or her tweet, but, here me out here, lets think about it, lets assume a Continuum like future is what she's thinking of and if so what IS the stuff we should be concerned about?

What if, instead of restricting access to twitter, they make a Conservative Twitter that gets the easy bandwidth access and then make normal twitter slower to access or you have to pay money to access?

Or maybe, have it so that when you log onto the internet it logs your IP and only lets you access websites that are registered with certain ISP's within a radius of you? :ohdear:

This is the conspiracy theory thing of handwaving away who "they" are and how "they" will ever achieve some nefarious end. You are suggesting that massive vested interests, in the form of content providers, will remain complacent in the face of a serious threat to their business model. And that other massive vested interests, in the form of service providers, will be able to effectively coordinate on actions that will seriously piss off their user base. Where are Google, Netflix, Verizon et al in this story?

We don't need to start guessing about conspiracy theory dystopian future stuff to figure out how people get shut out of online discourse. It already happens. You just have a subject that gets tossed down further in the search algorithm or filtered from the major ways people find content. Places like Erosblog have been writing about that happening to adult content oriented stuff since the Bush administration.

It is reasonable to talk about the way content is filtered from consumers online and how that could develop. It is unreasonable to speak of entirely new structures for content delivery just coalescing from nothing because some journalist or blogger is worried about an authoritarian administration.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

You are dumb from the opposite end of the spectrum and your post is quite insulting to black Americans. Clinton has better name recognition and a reputation in those communities because she has been working with them actively for three decades. She met with black lives matter as well and it was FAR from condescending.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

having conversations with groups like Black Lives Matter, who Hillary condescended to

Remember when two black women dared to upstage him and it lead to Reddit spending an entire week calling for them to be beaten? That backlash tended to sour a lot of the online PoCs to the Sanders campaign.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

mcmagic posted:

She had a loving 30 year head start on him in terms of relationships with many of these communities. Of course she did better in the primary than he did.

I'm arguing he didn't have the same name recognition and that's why he lost, and the relationships built and cultivated during and after the first Clinton presidency is why she had the advantage. Not because of blind black adulation for Clinton or ignorance. I apologize for wording it the way I did.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zegermans posted:

Remember when two black women dared to upstage him and it lead to Reddit spending an entire week calling for them to be beaten? That backlash tended to sour a lot of the online PoCs to the Sanders campaign.

Yeah I remember. Then he hired multiple people from the BLM movement to work on his campaign. Why are you harping on a few fools on Reddit over what he actually did?

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

zegermans posted:

I'm not gonna defend that

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

I'm arguing he didn't have the same name recognition and that's why he lost, and the relationships built and cultivated during and after the first Clinton presidency is why she had the advantage. Not because of blind black adulation for Clinton or ignorance. I apologize for wording it the way I did.

Not just the Clinton Administration, her first job out of school was pretending to be a poor concerned white woman who didn't want her kids being schooled with no coloreds, and then getting their asses shut down when the administrations agreed with her.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zegermans posted:

Remember when two black women dared to upstage him and it lead to Reddit spending an entire week calling for their deaths? That backlash tended to sour a lot of the online PoCs to the Sanders campaign.

Which was unfortunate because the actions he took in that moment were completely respectable. He stepped back, told them to go ahead, and listened. The crowd was unfriendly, and it appears they didn't actually expect they were going to speak and didn't have anything prepared to say, but Sanders didn't actually do a bad thing there.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Yeah I remember. Then he hired multiple people from the BLM movement to work on his campaign. Why are you harping on a few fools on Reddit over what he actually did?

Yes, he improved greatly after that incident. I liked Bernie. Its just his supporters were a bit grating at times. I voted for him in the Illinois primary.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

zegermans posted:

If the bar for minority outreach (or outreach to... anyone) is Reddit not acting disgusting in the name of a candidate, we're boned

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

zegermans posted:

good thing that online PoCs came out in such force that Iron Abuela is now Most Woke and Chief

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Only a few tweaks, no real mistakes committed! The Power of Clinton down-ballots!

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/798996560478687239
https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/798996707812003840

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

I know talking about racism against whites is dumb, but this sentence is literally impugning someone for living in an area that has a lot of a specific race. Then you go on to say an opinion you have about something, with no evidence. You're dumb.

Cool, I guess I should just shut up because I am the real racist, I see. Just another dumb stupid minority that doesn't know any better.

I guess I should let some old white dude from Vermont determine what's best for me because he got forced to accept some BLM supporters speaking at his rallies once it started looking like he didn't care much about minorities. Okay.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

haha god drat

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

fits my needs posted:

Bernie should retire to the new lake house he bought with his wife in 90%+ lilly white Vermont and let others have a chance to speak, people that actually understand that the economy becoming better doesn't guarantee that the lives of minorities will as well.

Show me on the doll where Bernie touched you

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

It wasn't about name recognition at all. The effort and the relationships, yes.

Bernie was earnest and updated his platform. He didn't do as much as he could have. He avoided black media and he didn't spend as much time on minority-specific issues, where he really needed to in order to counteract the deep lead Clinton had built.

mcmagic posted:

Why are you harping on a few fools on Reddit over what he actually did?

You still can not criticize Bernie's campaign online as a POC without getting poo poo on endlessly -- even if you voted for Bernie. It's pretty bad.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Only a few tweaks, no real mistakes committed! The Power of Clinton down-ballots!

<some tweets>

Jesus god :cripes:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It wasn't about name recognition at all. The effort and the relationships, yes.

Bernie was earnest and updated his platform. He didn't do as much as he could have. He avoided black media and he didn't spend as much time on minority-specific issues, where he really needed to in order to counteract the deep lead Clinton had built.

You still can not criticize Bernie's campaign online as a POC without getting poo poo on endlessly -- even if you voted for Bernie. It's pretty bad.

Business Gorillas posted:

good thing that online PoCs came out in such force that Iron Abuela is now Most Woke and Chief

Lol it's never gonna stop.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

remember how clinton was supposed to be the better choice over bernie because she was going to empower the downticket?

edit:

Sharkopath posted:

Lol it's never gonna stop.

check this out:

nobody with actual concerns cares about reddit

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 16, 2016

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

fits my needs posted:

Cool, I guess I should just shut up because I am the real racist, I see.

Exactly, just shut up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

fits my needs posted:

Cool, I guess I should just shut up because I am the real racist, I see. Just another dumb stupid minority that doesn't know any better.

I guess I should let some old white dude from Vermont determine what's best for me because he got forced to accept some BLM supporters speaking at his rallies once it started looking like he didn't care much about minorities. Okay.

You don't need to let anyone decide what's best for you and no one is asking you to. You are just saying things that are categorically untrue.

It also is a really dumb criticism of old hippy Jew that he is moving into a new house in a place with lots of white people. He's lived there close to forty years and that doesn't at all speak to his positions or priorities on race. It soaks to his perspective and his life experiences which can color his positions, but if you want to know his actual positions he is not than willing to shout from the rooftops.

Hint: No war but class war is not his position.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

remember how clinton was supposed to be the better choice over bernie because she was going to empower the downticket?

They had been talking for MONTHS prior to the election about this because the Clinton campaign was using the "war chest" as its own personal piggy bank and spending shitloads of money while folks like Russ Feingold were left out to dry.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Jesus god :cripes:

Wasn't there some stink about Schumer cutting off the Murphy campaign in FL to basically funnel money to his own or something?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

She raised like a billion dollars and squandered it all on absolutely nothing

I remember certain posters assuring us that all the downballot races were going to be funded by Hillary and none of it materialized

quote:

In Michigan alone, a senior battleground state operative told HuffPost that the state party and local officials were running at roughly one-tenth the paid canvasser capacity that Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) had when he ran for president in 2004. Desperate for more human capital, the state party and local officials ended up raising $300,000 themselves to pay 500 people to help canvass in the election’s closing weeks. By that point, however, they were operating in the dark. One organizer said that in a precinct in Flint, they were sent to a burned down trailer park. No one had taken it off the list of places to visit because no one had been there until the final weekend. Clinton lost the state by 12,000 votes.

Jesus loving Christ.

This was the person that so many people told us was a better choice for America.

white sauce fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 16, 2016

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fits my needs posted:

You should let some old white dude from Vermont help you because he has widespread name recognition and is wildly popular and also SUPPORTS THE THINGS YOU DO even though you've just unilaterally decided he doesn't because you apparently are actually racist. Not the "real" racist, white-flight trucker-hat trash yokels who hate the blacks are racists too, just one member of the singular and apparently enormous group of racists in our country. I wouldn't say that if you didn't impugn someone for the sole extremely specific reason of "he is a specific race and lives in an area populated primarily by that race."

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Harsh But True posted:

So... if you're not a POC you can't care about/talk about minority issues? I'm not a woman, can I not care about women's rights? Lol at the idea that only Jews can talk about antisemitism?

You absolutely can, and should, and if you care about PoC at all, it's your obligation to. But you must always, always do it from your perspective as a non PoC / minority / woman. The minute you start saying things as a white person like "well the thing you have to understand about black lives matter" or "women just want to be treated like" or "jews are generally democrats, so that means", you need to take a step back and check yourself. Stay in your lane, go with what you know, use your privilege and authority to help by deferring to people who actually know what the gently caress they're talking about because they're living it. Remember that you aren't living it, and no matter what happens with Trump, you'll be fine compared to people who don't look like you.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

*frantically stuffing money into pockets*

WHY ARE ALL OF THESE ANGRY WHITE BOYS SAYING WE'RE CORRUPT? SOUNDS LIKE THEY JUST DON'T WANT A WOMAN FOR PRESIDENT!

*trips over own shoelaces and watches $10,000 flutter away in the breeze*

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

check this out:

nobody with actual concerns cares about reddit

More about how you constantly blame woke people and minorities when they voice concerns about stuff.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You absolutely can, and should, and if you care about PoC at all, it's your obligation to. But you must always, always do it from your perspective as a non PoC / minority / woman. The minute you start saying things as a white person like "well the thing you have to understand about black lives matter" or "women just want to be treated like" or "jews are generally democrats, so that means", you need to take a step back and check yourself. Stay in your lane, go with what you know, use your privilege and authority to help by deferring to people who actually know what the gently caress they're talking about because they're living it. Remember that you aren't living it, and no matter what happens with Trump, you'll be fine compared to people who don't look like you.

space ghost keeps it movin', knows just what the gently caress hes doing

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's really annoying and smug and if you were probated every time you said Abuela or Woke the forums would be way more readable because its like 80% of the posts I've seen you make here, just drive by shitposting.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So when Hillary fainted from pneumonia, then came out to prove she was ok, and hugged that little girl...

That girl totally died from pneumonia, right? Like, no doubt.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

You should let some old white dude from Vermont help you because he has widespread name recognition and is wildly popular and also SUPPORTS THE THINGS YOU DO even though you've just unilaterally decided he doesn't because you apparently are actually racist. Not the "real" racist, white-flight trucker-hat trash yokels who hate the blacks are racists too, just one member of the singular and apparently enormous group of racists in our country. I wouldn't say that if you didn't impugn someone for the sole extremely specific reason of "he is a specific race and lives in an area populated primarily by that race."

Don't tell me he supports the things I do when the only way POC got prominent positions with his campaign was by literally having to crash one of his speeches. Then the majority white crowd started heckling them. But I guess it's ok like how Trump recently told his supporters to stop hurting minorities! Nothing to worry about Bernies actual concern about minorities, no sir!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Wasn't there some stink about Schumer cutting off the Murphy campaign in FL to basically funnel money to his own or something?

This is a huge problem the Democratic Party needs to work on, and I guess I shouldn't be surprised it found its way into the Clinton campaign, too.

Like, what the gently caress was the plan here? Just funnel everything into winning the presidency and holding onto safe Senate seats and hope Trump's self-evident shittiness is all you need to coast to the White House and a Senate majority? Wait, don't answer, that's exactly what they did. And they wonder why we don't have poo poo in state governments.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

who cares about michigan hillary was hoping on taking arizona, loving lol.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

fits my needs posted:

Don't tell me he supports the things I do when the only way POC got prominent positions with his campaign was by literally having to crash one of his speeches. Then the majority white crowd started heckling them. But I guess it's ok like how Trump recently told his supporters to stop hurting minorities! Nothing to worry about Bernies actual concern about minorities, no sir!

if we're going to follow this train of thought, that reactive changes to things happening just mean you're a hollow husk and still an actual racist, how do you reconcile the entirety of hillary's political career?

• Locked thread