Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

yeah they're basically unbearable to look at and the symbolism used is a bit annoying if you don't follow them pretty much continuously and/or live here

Sometimes the symbolism is confusing even it you do follow them continuously. Like the Gabrielle d'Estrees parody with Boris Johnson and David Cameron (posted in the Gay Abortion Repository). Cameron is pregnant with Brexit (perhaps the obvious reading looking at it now, but it was drawn before Johnson even declared his support for Brexit)? Cameron and Johnson are ideological siblings? Cameron is having sex with the Queen? Cameron and Johnson are lesbian icons? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Is a good painting. Also a cool politoon. Maybe somebody can put a small version of it in the poo room.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Johnny Walker posted:

Garrison actually thinks that Trump is going to build a wall, take away health care for millions, and jail his opponent, and not only that, he thinks these are all unquestionably good things. It's loving mind-blowing that these are the people that got him elected. I like to believe that most of the Republicans that voted for him, while they made a huge mistake, didn't actually believe all this poo poo. These are truly just plain awful people. Deplorable, even.

Edit: I should note, I think he will indeed kill Obamacare, although likely not outright (Edit 2: actually, even with that I'm just holding onto the merest sliver of hope).

I hope that his fanboy rage is burns his worthless wannabe cowboy rear end. Whatever makes it even slightly easier.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Les Affaires posted:

Is it just me or is the british political cartoon aesthetic just a little too jarring?

It's a different culture. American cartoonists (those who can draw - which there admittedly aren't many) love to make OUR GUY look handsome and dashing and :fap: while THEIR guy is an ugly old smelly piece of garbage, ie. Kelly style which also gets old really soon. British cartooning philosophy is more "these are people who hold a lot of power, we should be mocking them for all their weaknesses and mistakes because we can".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

It's a different culture. American cartoonists (those who can draw - which there admittedly aren't many) love to make OUR GUY look handsome and dashing and :fap: while THEIR guy is an ugly old smelly piece of garbage, ie. Kelly style which also gets old really soon. British cartooning philosophy is more "these are people who hold a lot of power, we should be mocking them for all their weaknesses and mistakes because we can".
That seems like the correct philosophy to have about people in power to me.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Nenonen posted:

I totally agree with that but the repeated and constant depiction of humans as weird and grotesque feels like a crutch, I thought british humor was supposed to be subtle? Like there are lots of other ways to mock people beyond wacky/gross caricature and it feels weirdly immature or something

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Every time I see this timg'd, I think it's Gul Dukat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

d0s posted:

I totally agree with that but the repeated and constant depiction of humans as weird and grotesque feels like a crutch, I thought british humor was supposed to be subtle? Like there are lots of other ways to mock people beyond wacky/gross caricature and it feels weirdly immature or something
British humor is two men farting while saying the word "fanny" and laughing drunkenly.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

I totally agree with that but the repeated and constant depiction of humans as weird and grotesque feels like a crutch, I thought british humor was supposed to be subtle?

https://youtu.be/lefP0_ZM-Lw

Real subtle.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FactsAreUseless posted:

British humor is two men farting while saying the word "fanny" and laughing drunkenly.

I once heard British humor described as "The only thing funnier than a man in a dress is if he's also falling down the stairs".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

After The War posted:

I have no problems with Gul Dukat though

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FactsAreUseless posted:

don't forget the single entendres

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

d0s posted:

Reminder that Steve Bell first drew David Cameron as a transparent jellyfish, then for a while did him as a condom but with no intent of making this the permanent form until at a conference he met Cameron and realized that it really struck a nerve and therefore should be permanent.

quote:

The PM seemed very friendly. "Hello Steve, hello Simon!" he cried cheerily, but moved straight into the condom question. (One important issue is the teat on the end.) "You can only push the condom so far," Cameron said, which struck me as wise advice in life as well as political cartooning.

Of course he had to turn the quote into a cartoon right away.

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2010/oct/09/simon-hoggart-diary

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's an era too late I know, but did anyone talk about how swamps are a necessary part of the ecosystem and shouldn't be drained just because we don't like them?

Do you think Trump even knows what an ecosystem is

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Do you think Trump even knows what an ecosystem is

It's the thing you build a golf course on top of.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

don't forget the single entendres

In Britain, "fanny" is a single entendre.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

My impression of British cartoons is the Queen barfing on Boris Johnson while simultaneously making GBS threads on a bird in the shape of Theresa May, who's holding a clothespin representing Nigel Farage (for reasons only the cartoonist remembers now) and shouting "THAT'S A BREXIT!", and the whole thing's done in the style of a Goya painting.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Nenonen posted:

Of course he had to turn the quote into a cartoon right away.

Just to be a pedantic bastard, that cartoon is from earlier this year when he resigned - that's his face and quote drawn on the big blue moving van that took his stuff out of number 10. The pic of him on the side is modelled after the omnipresent poster campaign way back when he was still just leader of the opposition, looking earnestly into the camera next to some slogan about how he totally won't dismantle the nhs, honest. He was indeed the future once.

Lord Hydronium posted:

My impression of British cartoons is the Queen barfing on Boris Johnson while simultaneously making GBS threads on a bird in the shape of Theresa May, who's holding a clothespin representing Nigel Farage (for reasons only the cartoonist remembers now) and shouting "THAT'S A BREXIT!", and the whole thing's done in the style of a Goya painting.

This is 100% accurate. A job at the Guardian awaits you.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's an era too late I know, but did anyone talk about how swamps are a necessary part of the ecosystem and shouldn't be drained just because we don't like them?

A fair point, but we're talking about a billionaire developer. He has a special hatred of aesthetically-unpleasing ecosystems. Why can't those animals move to a nice plain or lovely and colorful jungle?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

TheBigAristotle posted:

Why can't those animals move to a nice plain or lovely and colorful jungle?

The people of Aberdeenshire can be pretty backward I guess but I'd hardly call them animals

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

My first thought was "it would actually help Trump's image a bunch if he let a bunch of animals live in the White House".

And then I noticed one of the "swamp animals" was a cobra. :psyboom:

Xi over Xi-bar
May 10, 2009

Selachian posted:

Just came across this. Apologies if it's been posted already.

According to the accompanying text. it's actually a repeat:

Mr. Fish posted:

I received a note this morning from a fan who reminded me of an illustration that I did almost 4 years ago. He correctly suggested that the image might have greater relevance now than when I originally posted it, which is unfortunately true. So, in the interest of forcing our collective faces back into the instructive commentary offered by the deep dark truthful mirror, I present this cartoon, not as proof of our defeat at the rope-burned hands of bigots and soulless automatons of institutionalized bigotry and hick paranoia, but rather as a battle cry calling to action the hearts and minds of better men and women poised and ready to fight peaceably for a kinder and more tolerant future.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just look at how much Louisiana has shrank.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That'll be really awkward when she has to run against her husband.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

duz posted:

I once heard British humor described as "The only thing funnier than a man in a dress is if he's also falling down the stairs".

No no, the only thing funnier than unexpectedly seeing a man's bum is two blokes suddenly kissing.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Fulchrum posted:

I'm almost amazed Garrison resisted the urge to give Trump a gigantic fig leaf to imply he has a huge dick.

"There's no problem there, believe me."

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Volcanic Vents posted:

Im sure everyone will be pleased to hear there's now a >0% chance of a John McNaughton painting hanging in the White House:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/11/will-trump-hang-art-of-obama-trampling-the-constitution.html

Obama should get one of those LCD picture frames and have one of the gif edits from this thread looping in it for his presidential library.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
"and likes to send tweets!"

:somegizmo:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
God loving dammit, Fish.

Mr. Fish posted:

I received a note this morning from a fan who reminded , reminding me of an illustration that I did almost 4 years ago. He correctly suggested that the image might have greater relevance now than when I originally posted it, which is unfortunately true. So, in the interest of forcing our collective faces back into the instructive commentary offered by the deep dark truthful mirror, I present this cartoon, not as proof of our defeat at the rope-burned hands of bigots and soulless automatons of institutionalized bigotry and hick paranoia, but rather as a battle cry calling to action the hearts and minds of better men and women poised and ready to fight peaceably for a kinder, and more tolerant future.

And that's just pulling out the redundancies, we'll deal with your [ADJECTIVE] [NOUN] and mixed metaphor abuses next class.

And tell Rall he's next up in my office.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
He has a Dr's note saying he has a wart in his heart and doesn't need to come to school. Although it looks like his own handwriting and also finishes b7 describing how handsome Ted rally is

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

After The War posted:

God loving dammit, Fish.

"Yah gotta let me have the words!"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That doesn't strike me as OH MY GOD SO MANY WORDS and you're just being nitpicky by stripping the paragraph down to the bare minimum which actually isn't good writing.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

d0s posted:

I just don't get why they have to hit you over the head with "politicians are grotesque barely human monsters" in every single strip, it feels really one-note and trite but I know nothing about political cartooning in the UK and maybe there's a reason for it

The reason is that politicians are grotesque barely human monsters.

The American public: "Hillary has done nothing but nag that poor man! Have you heard about her emails?"

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Internet Webguy posted:

The reason is that politicians are grotesque barely human monsters.

*bursts through apartment door*
"Hello!!"

4 :rimshot:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Selachian posted:

Just came across this. Apologies if it's been posted already.

This is so good.

After The War posted:

it is

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

After The War posted:

God loving dammit, Fish.

And that's just pulling out the redundancies, we'll deal with your [ADJECTIVE] [NOUN] and mixed metaphor abuses next class.

And tell Rall he's next up in my office.

you're a whiny bitch and shouldn't post, like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
God I am glad that people are taking notice of Bannon, gently caress that man forever.

• Locked thread