Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Lavender posted:

Yeah, it really feels that way. It's going to be a chore just to get to Inquisition.

To not waste a post: I can't equip my party members? And the game is still full of all the equipment I can't use. Just more to sort through. Bah.

Wasn't their reasoning for not equipping visible armor onto party members in DA2 because they wanted people to cosplay as their characters more?

I assume this is just more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nuebot posted:

Wasn't their reasoning for not equipping visible armor onto party members in DA2 because they wanted people to cosplay as their characters more?

I assume this is just more of that.

Naw it was evantually everyone looks the same decked out in the same godfucker armor you get in the end game. I can forgive that.

Inquisition made a better compromise by making every character have a unique style so even the same gear would look different on different characters but DA2 probably didn't have the time or money to do that given an 11 month development cycle.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

It was pushed out the door by the publisher long before it was finished, if it was an Obsidian game people would still be singing its praises and deflecting every criticism leveled against it but since it's by a developer that's trendy to hate it gets no such benefit of the doubt.

Obsidian games have stuff like interesting characters, setpieces and actually good writing though even when the other stuff is underdeveloped. Kotor2 and Alpha Protocol are remembered fondly to this day because they were very unique and interesting games that played with genre and story conventions. Fallout New Vegas, which was produced in just 18 months, is arguably the best Fallout game ever made and it was possible due to the already established engine and re-usable assets which let them focus on what they do best.

DA2 was just an irredeemable steaming pile of poo poo.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

kotor 2 used the same engine and reused a poo poo load of assets(and likewise its the best kotor game ever made)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
KOTOR 2 was great because its writing gave the character of the previous game a better character then their own game did.

Things that wasn't so great in KOTOR 2: Lack of ending, cut content that was still referenced in the game, the fact that you can be permanently screwed out of a party member if you forgot to loot 2 specific enemies.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Leal posted:

the fact that you can be permanently screwed out of a party member if you forgot to loot 2 specific enemies.

HK?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Yeah, my very first playthrough I didn't loot the HK bots in Nar Shaddaa and for the remainder of the game HK just sat there, unmoving, a silent reminder of my gently caress up :smith:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My gripe with Kotor is how every other npc looks like Eminem.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I give up on HOMM6. Beat the first Stronghold mission, but then spent the last hour of my life bashing my head against the final battle of the second map. I eventually pulled it off, but holy poo poo this isn't fun. And this is on loving Easy.

I want to like the game a lot, turn-based strategy isn't usually my thing, but I think the poster who said each campaign is designed to be played in a very specific way was right. And the game, naturally, gives no guidance to how each campaign is apparently intended to work. Maybe this level of challenge is fun for someone who's a fan of the series and knows what they're supposed to be doing, but this kind of difficulty design is simply not fun.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
General example: games that have such long alpha/beta/EA versions that by the time I get to it and want to find out something, 90% of the content I find about the game is completely out of date.

Like, I'm playing the game Planet Explorers, and I'm really digging it. I don't really feel like I have as strong a bead on mining as I'd like (the ore-scanning map is a little weird to parse and reminds me of the old Descent map viewer), so I decided to look for some information. It's all from drastically older builds, so I'm still at the "I think I'm doing this the best way, but I dunno" point.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I forgot Spirit Tracks even had a Master Sword variant, and they just kind of give it to you before the final dungeon without really explaining why we couldn't have the better sword earlier.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

General example: games that have such long alpha/beta/EA versions that by the time I get to it and want to find out something, 90% of the content I find about the game is completely out of date.

Like, I'm playing the game Planet Explorers, and I'm really digging it. I don't really feel like I have as strong a bead on mining as I'd like (the ore-scanning map is a little weird to parse and reminds me of the old Descent map viewer), so I decided to look for some information. It's all from drastically older builds, so I'm still at the "I think I'm doing this the best way, but I dunno" point.

"In ARK stone houses are unbreakable" said the wiki as a naked man shot me to death and his giant dinosaur ate my stone house.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Another Planet Explorers gripe that almost belongs on the Schadenfreude thread:

I'm tasked with building a settlement. Great! I pick out this nice location intersecting three rivers, in view of something that's prolly a Significant Plot Thing in the horizon and is an open and clearable area. Great! I spend way too much time making a bridge (and carving into the rock on one of the sides, bit by oddly calming bit to make things flush), clear the area of trees and poo poo, and build the settlement founding doohickey.

Only then does the game say that I'm too close to a somewhat-hostile camp. :negative:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I played through Shovel Knight sometime earlier this year and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I decided to try playing as Plague Knight and wow, it is just amazingly bad.

Any time I land from a jump the character scoots forward pretty much an entire body length. The double jump is so ridiculously small you might as well just remove it and make the regular jump height slightly higher. When I charge up and do the explosion boost, if I don't touch left or right the character goes straight up and then has hardly any control horizontally. If I touch left or right when I release it, even when I'm at a complete standstill I go careening across the entire screen. If I throw a potion in midair, there's a small delay for the throwing animation where I don't have control over my movement and sort of float a little?

In a game as precision platforming oriented as this, I don't know how these controls are supposed to be manageable.

I like Plague Knight's movements more than Shovel Knight. I do find it tedious to have to pause the game to switch how my bombs will arc.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

scarycave posted:

I forgot Spirit Tracks even had a Master Sword variant, and they just kind of give it to you before the final dungeon without really explaining why we couldn't have the better sword earlier.

Who just gives an engineer/trainee a magical longsword for no reason?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Master Sword is more of a broadsword really.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm playing World of Final Fantasy right now - I've beaten it, and would like to platinum it. But a few things are really dragging it down. First, the jump in difficulty in the post-game dungeons is absurd. I was able to take down the final boss of the game with a scrappy party that I was just levelling up, not even my best dudes, but if I try to fight in the post-game, I get my poo poo kicked in and hard. It's frustrating. Not impossible, but I feel like I'm pulling myself forward by my fingertips.

The other is that one of the mementos (essentially the items you need to unlock pokemon mirages for your party) is gated behind winning a minigame in a certain number of turns - only your success is entirely luck-based, as it's sort of a minesweeper-style combat/tactics game, and even if you have perfect knowledge of where the enemies are, if you don't place your guys in the correct positions then it could potentially take too long to move them. It's so annoying.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

RyokoTK posted:

Enchanting a ring with a level 1 levitate spell on use is incredibly inexpensive and super useful for pretty much the entire game.

I would always enchant a shield with levitate and night vision and then combine it with the boots of blinding speed to silver surfer it up all over the map the whole game, machine-gunning lovely lightning spells down as fast as the animations allow :flashfact: Morrowind is still IMO the definitively best RPG of all time in the specific quotient of the player character ending up (or starting, if you break alchemy) as a coked-out blitzed-chakra ADD demiurge responsive only to capricious whims beyond the ken of man.

My only real qualm with Bethesda is their fingers-in-ears refusal to do a proper UI for poo poo like inventory trading with companions and settlement building. Like i get that they're pretty much just adapting mods people have made for their other games at this point but good lord is that whole system a self-evident pile of tossed together jank

Lord Lambeth posted:

Weird complaint: Bao-Dur in Kotor 2 sounds like his voice actor recorded all of his lines in a bathroom.

My weird Bao-Dur complaint is that in my runs his remote would always take some stray damage in his recruitment mission or something and then have that health bar be stuck at 60-75% for the entire rest of the game, argh :argh: Fix your dumb robot, Bao-Dur :saddowns:

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Nov 14, 2016

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RareAcumen posted:

Who just gives an engineer/trainee a magical longsword for no reason?

She sent me out to dangerous monster infested dungeons and to jam with strange men in their magic caves.
Also the tower of spirits - multiple times, the place where the sword would have been the most useful since it can instantly stun a phantom without needing to collect tears.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Yokai Watch 2 does this incredibly loving stupid thing of frequently stopping the plot to make you go do "key quests", which are essentially just sidequests. It does not tell you where to get these quests, or who to talk to, or even mark them differently to any other sidequests in the game; you need to just go search everywhere in town to find everyone with a quest for you, and hope that it's the right one. Or you can look at a guide, but if I need a guide to play your game you can go gently caress yourself.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MiddleOne posted:

Obsidian games have stuff like interesting characters, setpieces and actually good writing though even when the other stuff is underdeveloped. Kotor2 and Alpha Protocol are remembered fondly to this day because they were very unique and interesting games that played with genre and story conventions. Fallout New Vegas, which was produced in just 18 months, is arguably the best Fallout game ever made and it was possible due to the already established engine and re-usable assets which let them focus on what they do best.

DA2 was just an irredeemable steaming pile of poo poo.

DA2 had an incredibly novel premise: The entire game took place in one city over the span of decades and was told through an unreliable narrator's flashbacks. Even in its unfinished state it's still a more interesting starting hook than "you wake up on a space station/in a spy base/in a doctor's office, are you a bad enough dude to figure out what crazy situation you've gotten yourself into this time?"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

My gripe with Kotor is how every other npc looks like Eminem.

I feel bad for the dude who won the contest to be an NPC in KotOR 2 and came out looking like this:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

dordreff posted:

Yokai Watch 2 does this incredibly loving stupid thing of frequently stopping the plot to make you go do "key quests", which are essentially just sidequests. It does not tell you where to get these quests, or who to talk to, or even mark them differently to any other sidequests in the game; you need to just go search everywhere in town to find everyone with a quest for you, and hope that it's the right one. Or you can look at a guide, but if I need a guide to play your game you can go gently caress yourself.

A similar system was what got me to stop playing Xenoblade Chronicles X. I hit a point where I wasn't high enough in level to do some side quest I had to do to do the next mission.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Here's your chance to try and save Darkest Dungeon.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I tried replaying Assassin's Creed IV and found most of the game lacking in terms of combat and exploration. Through trial and repetition Ubisoft have really done the Open World formula a disservice by their sheer lack of imagination.

The combat isn't Arkham. This game was made after Arkham but didn't choose to rip it off.

Why have 200 treasure chests scattered across the world when the contents are always gently caress-all? Why add another 200 glowing light things that do nothing except to pad the play-time? It's all stick and no carrot.

I hate the notion you can "complete" an area by quickly picking up the poo poo there. When you do the place becomes "dead" as you have no reason there. I may have finished my business in the towns of New Vegas and Velen but I never got the impression those places ceased to function when I left.

Witcher may have done the same, but I hate how everything is marked on the map before you start. You don't get to fill the map yourself, it has already been charted for you. There's no wonder or surprise or something cool you could easily overlook after playing the whole game, except for the giant squid.

Why, even after the tutorials, does the game never stop holding my hand? Even with the HUD off I get messages saying which way to steer a ship in a storm.

I really hate how that the game is divided into two planes: the world that you see, and the world of the HUD. I really don't give a poo poo about anything I physically see unless the HUD says so. It leads to me to believe that the HUD shouldn't be used as a crutch and be sparing in it's implementation. Somebody please post that dumbed-down screenshot of Bloodborne.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Nov 17, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Here's your chance to try and save Darkest Dungeon.

I like that there's one post in that topic and it's a guy saying the game needs to have a fail state if you lose.

Anyway, my gripe right now is with mobile games. Why do so many of them feel the need to include PVP? Due to the nature of mobile games there typically isn't any skill involved in it. So in a game like Brave Frontier, or any other gacha based game the PVP solely comes down to "was this guy luckier than you or did he spend more money than you?" And if the answer to either of those is yes and his team is objectively better than you, then you won't win. This becomes frustrating when all the rewards start getting locked behind PVP as is the case of a few games by Square I played recently, but progress is literally impossible unless you've been playing a while and already had previous PVP rewards or the best and rarest event units because otherwise every other player in the game was just an unbeatable wall of gently caress.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

DA2 had an incredibly novel premise: The entire game took place in one city over the span of decades and was told through an unreliable narrator's flashbacks. Even in its unfinished state it's still a more interesting starting hook than "you wake up on a space station/in a spy base/in a doctor's office, are you a bad enough dude to figure out what crazy situation you've gotten yourself into this time?"

Unfortunately a premise alone can't carry a 30 hour game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Dragonball Xenoverse 2

just..just give me the 100x kamehameha. i hate pq100. i hate doing it. stop making me do it and just give me the beam cannon. stop giving me blue vegeta hair. same for vanish ball, that poo poo is rad in Kid Buu form and i want to use it on Normal Buu form

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that's always annoying about RPGs is when an item says it is worth x amount but then when you go to a shop they give you some lesser percentage of it based on who knows what.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

One thing that's always annoying about RPGs is when an item says it is worth x amount but then when you go to a shop they give you some lesser percentage of it based on who knows what.

especially when it turns out the value of said item is how much it gets sold for

and then they charge more than that anyway

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Then you end up with situations like Fallout or Skyrim where it's more beneficial to sell a fuckmillion of something that doesn't sell for very much than it is to sell one expensive thing, because the expensive thing has more of its sell price lopped off. :downs:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Did Skyrim do the thing where you needed to sell stacks of things one at a time so you could get maximum money for your stuff because of rounding? So if you sold a 100 stack of 1g cups you'd get something like 30 gold, but if you sold them individually you'd get 100g. I know at least one of the scrolls games did that.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Then you end up with situations like Fallout or Skyrim where it's more beneficial to sell a fuckmillion of something that doesn't sell for very much than it is to sell one expensive thing, because the expensive thing has more of its sell price lopped off. :downs:

And then if youre like me, you make a character with the highest carryweight possible and pick up literally loving everything so you can sell all of it and actually make enough money that you can actually buy something.
and then buy almost nothing besides equipment because you picked up every single healing item you found along the way and dont need any of it now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fallout New Vegas: "Oh, you wanna buy this Unique Weapon? Well it'll only cost you literally every cap you have earned in the game so far if you didn't spend a single one"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Dark Souls: Anor Londo sucks rear end. I have no idea why every gushes about this place like its the pinnacle of Dark Souls because its gently caress-awful. Annoying as gently caress enemies in cramped quarters, takes way too long to get anywhere, and its probably the most visually boring area in the entire game so far. Just god-awful from start to finish.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

Fallout New Vegas: "Oh, you wanna buy this Unique Weapon? Well it'll only cost you literally every cap you have earned in the game so far if you didn't spend a single one"

Now I did find an easy way to grind for caps, but it requires Lonesome Road. You just go and kill a bunch of marked men, take all their loot (the perk that lets you fast travel while overencumbered is recommended), and go to one of those chip terminals. Sell 5000 caps worth of equipment, exit shop, re-open shop, bam there's 5000 more caps fresh for the taking. it might require you to get it past 0 caps.

1stGear posted:

Dark Souls: Anor Londo sucks rear end. I have no idea why every gushes about this place like its the pinnacle of Dark Souls because its gently caress-awful. Annoying as gently caress enemies in cramped quarters, takes way too long to get anywhere, and its probably the most visually boring area in the entire game so far. Just god-awful from start to finish.

I agree. The parts I hate the most are getting from the starting place to the big cathedral where you first travel to the big elevator, and getting inside the other cathedral. gently caress the archers!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

1stGear posted:

The levels that are gated behind Anor Londo are even worse. Imagine four Dragon Butts stomping on the edge of a cliff

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

1stGear posted:

:smith: I liked anor londo a lot more than the depths or blight town. Or new londo. A nice open palace area was an interesting departure from dank tunnels and crumbling architecture. The bits with the archers is poo poo though, and gently caress those little lightning gremlin guys.

Crystal caves still wins for my absolute least favorite area though. People always give me poo poo for hating those invisible crystal platforms but god drat they aren't perfectly flat, 99% of my deaths on those came from stepping slightly to the left or right, hitting an angled surface and being launched to my death at a million miles per hour.

CJacobs posted:

Also it doesn't even look unique. And it's only unique feature is that it has a fancy name and does something inane like shoot faster. You'll find a better gun in like, an hour. But buy this gun anyway because it's the only gun like this and it'll gnaw at you when you return and a quest makes this vendor die and you can never get it again ever.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The unique weapons that vendors sell in New Vegas are basically places to park your excess money. Play to the endgame with all the DLCs, and you will have a lot of excess money.

The unique weapons you find in the world are generally pretty neat, and do have special textures (in Fallout 3 they were identical to the regular ones.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Anor Londo really is the beginning of Dark Souls 1's descent into slightly less good encounter design. The level design itself stays pretty consistently good throughout, but the latter half of the game's encounter design goes down the tubes pretty fast. Some of the paths you split off into afterward are alright (the Duke's Archives), others are irredeemably bad (Lost Izalith). It's a shame, because Dark Souls is one of my favorite video games ever, and I think the game could have been even better if the developers just had more time to work on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Caravan is the quickest way to make money in FNV but it uses an exploit where you can keep discarding before you play your cards. Fortunately caravan is easy enough where you can win like 75% of the time. You can save scum at roulette if you don't give a poo poo about time. Or you could just player.additem like 30000 NCR $100 notes and use them to barter. In Skyrim the hardest part is getting money for buying your first house and even that you can scum it by exploiting a glitch where you buy the property, quickly leave the conversation and store your money in a container, then you get the key and pick up the money from the container. And with a game like Skyrim since you can smith your own items there's essentially no use for money aside from buying properties which with fast travel/downloadable properties it becomes even more useless.