Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

GORDON posted:

Short hoodie guy was training someone today, and I heard him say, "See that long muscle there? That's your bicep. But there's also another muscle right next to it, and you need to work that one too with a closer grip on the bar."

I thought they were called BIceps because they were two muscles. Right or wrong?

There's 4 major muscles in the upper arm. Bicep (two distinct cords), triceps (three cords), brachialis, radiobrachialis.
He was probably talking about the radiobrachialis which also forms a part of the forearm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fallows posted:

Try benching with your feet on the bench instead of the floor

Have we considered not benching at all?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

At a certain weight, yeah, drop it. It's dangerous to hold onto it as it goes down.

This dude obviously hit that benchmark a looooong time ago.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

At a certain weight, yeah, drop it. It's dangerous to hold onto it as it goes down.

This dude obviously hit that benchmark a looooong time ago.

Uh, he clearly said "lightweight"

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Uh, he clearly said "lightweight"

One man's light weight is another man's "holy poo poo"

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
LoL after he says "that was really heavy"

Most of those lifts in that video are incomplete ego lifts but I feel like a bounce rep of an 800lb deadlift is ok.

Then again Leeman does 8x800 with basically no bounce:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EEGp-66TuI&t=480s

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Holy poo poo

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

jonathan posted:

Most of those lifts in that video are incomplete ego lifts but I feel like a bounce rep of an 800lb deadlift is ok.

Why don't you try getting on the olympia stage at 4%, 290lbs before you criticize the man's accomplishments????

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Eldred posted:

For real? How old were they and how heavy the weights?

I don't know I didn't ask weights. Both in their early 30s

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dum Cumpster posted:

Why don't you try getting on the olympia stage at 4%, 290lbs before you criticize the man's accomplishments????

Because I enjoy a good quality life and feel it would be diminished greatly if I had to work that hard at something I have no interest in. Also the chances of that effort paying off are around 1:8,000,000,000.

Thirdly, I have access to a nice Case tractor and also an a-frame on wheels if I need to lift 800lbs.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

jonathan posted:

Because I enjoy a good quality life and feel it would be diminished greatly if I had to work that hard at something I have no interest in. Also the chances of that effort paying off are around 1:8,000,000,000.

Thirdly, I have access to a nice Case tractor and also an a-frame on wheels if I need to lift 800lbs.

I was going to keep throwing arguments by people I saw featured on quartersquatgang at you but :effort:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
loving LOL if you ever seriously criticize Big Ron's form

kill everyone in this thread

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Defiant Sally posted:

loving LOL if you ever seriously criticize Big Ron's form

kill everyone in this thread

It's not worth it. Just accept this new lifting safe space where we politely rest our weights on the ground.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I have become weak physically emotionally and politically , Like a small toddler who eats only kale .

gonna slather myself in sweet sweat (it smells good and warms your muscles up) and do push-ups for Zizek

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Motivation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOAVMbA1l4g

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Slaves! Bring me my dumbells.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Plz stop posting these ego lift videos and get back to baby weight bicep curls people

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

E_P posted:

Slaves! Bring me my dumbells.

When you think about it, you have to be pretty drat strong to hand a 220lb dumbell to someone.
Also, the kid in the back with 135lbs on the bench looking like he wants to die.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

Also, the kid in the back with 135lbs on the bench looking like he wants to die.

don't doxx me

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Fallows posted:

Plz stop posting these ego lift videos and get back to baby weight bicep curls people

You're not my mom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuzeyFIYMSM

~~~lift the ego~~~

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

lego my eggo

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
if you curl a 25 lb weight a ton instead of doing progressive heavier bicep curls ..will you just get really veiny biceps ? What happens if you do tons of reps with relatively low weight ?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Pon de Bundy posted:

if you curl a 25 lb weight a ton instead of doing progressive heavier bicep curls ..will you just get really veiny biceps ? What happens if you do tons of reps with relatively low weight ?

That's called "cardio".

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Yeah but look how fat and gross he is lol

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ll-2_FQDoc

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Him too

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Gotta ... be big to lift big.
:negative:

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

There's not a lot of support for German Volume Training shoulder days out there in the world

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Get to church, guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg_nAAQWkb4

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016
You can go on an alcoholic binge and not lose much but you won't gain much either. I was wondering about this so I did some research.

Your mileage may vary if you're not in your 20s.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i went to da gym

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

jarbv posted:

There's not a lot of support for German Volume Training shoulder days out there in the world

I did something like that in the beginning of this year and ended up with some really swole tendons and then I got to do Zero Volume Training.

I'd be a lot swoler all around if I wasn't an idiot and could listen to my own advice.

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016
Does anyone know if there is a worthwhile difference to training your shoulders by themselves against doing them on chest/back day and leaving side laterals for their own day?

I have been wondering this for a bit because shoulder day is underwhelming.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Nah

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Pon de Bundy posted:

this is very general advice but you absolutely should be progressively working most muscle groups across a spectrum of low/heavy weight (4-7 reps), medium/moderate weight (8-12 reps) and high/lightweight (15-25 reps) ranges.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Homestar Runner posted:

this is very general advice but you absolutely should be progressively working most muscle groups across a spectrum of low/heavy weight (4-7 reps), medium/moderate weight (8-12 reps) and high/lightweight (15-25 reps) ranges.

Why?

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
http://strengtheory.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/ (click for fancy graphs and calculations).

quote:

So, here’s what I’m personally taking away from this:

The “hypertrophy range” of roughly 6-15 reps per set may produce slightly better results per unit of time invested than low rep and high rep work. However, on the whole, the advantage you get from working in the hypertrophy range isn’t nearly as big as people seem to think; maybe a ~10-15% advantage per unit of effort invested at most.

You can absolutely grow effectively when training with low reps and high reps. In fact, mechanistic work has shown that although different rep ranges trigger similar elevations in protein synthesis, the signaling pathways activated to produce that growth response are actually somewhat different. You’re probably missing out on some growth if you confine yourself to a single rep range, even the “hypertrophy range.” My assumption is that individual signaling pathways would habituate to a single stimulus faster than multiple signaling pathways would habituate to slightly different stimuli.

Due to the sheer amount of variability we’re looking at, both within studies and between studies, it’s probably not wise to assume that a single rep range will be the best for everyone. Some people and some exercises just seem to do better with higher reps or lower reps.

As a general rule of thumb: Aim to get 60-70% of your work sets in the rep range that you personally find works best for you, and get 15-20% of your sets with heavier weights/lower reps and about 15-20% of your work with lighter weights/higher reps.

Takeaways

The “hypertrophy range” isn’t meaningfully better for hypertrophy than higher or lower rep training physiologically. When adjusting for factors like the number of sets performed and the rest periods between sets, it may be slightly better on average, but there’s a lot of variability.

From a more practical perspective, the “hypertrophy range” is, in general, the intensity range that allows people to maximize how much hard work they can manage per workout and per week. However, looking at things from the reverse perspective (asking yourself how to maximize high quality sets per week), there is quite a bit of variability in optimal loading zone and rep range person-to-person and lift-to-lift.

There are probably benefits of utilizing rep ranges across the entire spectrum, so don’t neglect lower rep work and higher rep work in your training.

Again this is all rather general and may largely depend on the muscle group / individual, but from a practical perspective training in one basic rep range sounds hella dull so :shrug:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Did not expect a strengtheory response. That deserves a gold star.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
ty.

also there is fun to be had in both pushing super heavy things AND gettin your pump on with reps. do whatever / both IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Please don't shame my goal physique.