Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

its all nice on rice posted:

Evolution would have you believe that this Harley would evolve into a working motorcycle. Instead, it just sits there, leaking oil.

Maybe its decedents, but it's doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Renaissance Robot posted:

As a refutation of Intelligent Design, may I present the Italian electrical system
I have a 77 Vespa moped whose ignition source coil is grounded through the brake light. When the brake light goes out and you grab the brakes, it kills the ignition. This is by design.

I have a 69 Ducati 160 which has some of its lights running off moped style AC current from the magneto and some of the lights running off the DC 6v battery. And the tail light will get DC sometimes and AC sometimes, depending on which setting the handlebar light switch is on. And the ignition runs off the magneto. What's the battery for? Just to take up space, apparently. This is by design.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I take it back; god exists, and he's an utter dick

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And the tail light will get DC sometimes and AC sometimes, depending on which setting the handlebar light switch is on.

This is amazing.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

What's the battery for? Just to take up space, apparently. This is by design.

Wasn't this a Vespa thing way back when some regulation required the bike to have a battery even though it didn't need one?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It's almost as if they'd rather spend time drinking espresso and catcalling women than fixing the designs of electrical systems.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

N is for Nipples posted:

Wasn't this a Vespa thing way back when some regulation required the bike to have a battery even though it didn't need one?
That seems plausible because the tiny battery and the pathetic little charging coil that inadequately maintains it both seem like pointless afterthoughts. Why not just make the whole system AC like a moped or a Vespa scooter? The design clearly started out that way.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

It's almost as if they'd rather spend time drinking espresso and catcalling women than fixing the designs of electrical systems.

It's just going to get bought by people who take them to drink espresso and hope for passive attention from women, anyway. So, it's kind of fitting.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
What the gently caress is the problem with these bagger-waddling assholes who are suddenly putting megawatt sound systems in their shitpiles. Is it that their loving open pipes can only be heard in the next town, so they need a system playing something suitably badass like Luke Bryan or some other prissy faux-country twaddle so they can be heard in the next loving county?

My city (Salem MA) has a charity run shortly before Halloween every year, and it is loving retards-on-parade. Everybody gets drunk by 10AM and drags out their driveway jewelry with 2-year-old oil, 6-year-old brake fluid, underinflated, dry-rotted tires - but the chrome is loving blinding - and half the Electrotard Ultra riders had bags full of amps and 6X9s so loud it was drowning out their lovely potato factories. Is this the new version of HURRR CHOPPA CHOPPA!!1!

gently caress me.

The_Raven fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 21, 2016

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

The_Raven posted:

What the gently caress is the problem with these bagger-waddling assholes who are suddenly putting megawatt sound systems in their shitpiles. Is it that their loving open pipes can only be heard in the next town, so they need a system playing something suitably badass like Luke Bryan or some other prissy faux-country twaddle so they can be heard in the next loving county?

My city (Salem MA) has a charity run shortly before Halloween every year, and it is loving retards-on-parade. Everybody gets drunk by 10AM and drags out their driveway jewelry with 2-year-old oil, 6-year-old brake fluid, underinflated, dry-rotted tires - but the chrome is loving blinding - and half the Electrotard Ultra riders had bags full of amps and 6X9s so loud it was drowning out their lovely potato factories. Is this the new version of HURRR CHOPPA CHOPPA!!1!

gently caress me.

I wonder how many of those guys have killed the stators on their bikes trying to run bigger systemzzzzz

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Jazzzzz posted:

I wonder how many of those guys have killed the stators on their bikes trying to run bigger systemzzzzz

None of them I saw were in flames, so not enough. The only casualty I saw that day was a guy on a '90s R1 who blew a coolant line or head gasket while doing a burnout, rest assured he got a full ration of poo poo from the bar-and-grill crew as they passed.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's why the Milwaukee 8 engines run a higher output stator.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

I have a 77 Vespa moped whose ignition source coil is grounded through the brake light. When the brake light goes out and you grab the brakes, it kills the ignition. This is by design.

I have a 69 Ducati 160 which has some of its lights running off moped style AC current from the magneto and some of the lights running off the DC 6v battery. And the tail light will get DC sometimes and AC sometimes, depending on which setting the handlebar light switch is on. And the ignition runs off the magneto. What's the battery for? Just to take up space, apparently. This is by design.

My '08 Genuine Stella - a Vespa PX clone made in a 1980s Vespa factory in India by an Indian company, LML - has the taillight run off DC when the engine is off and off AC when the engine is running. There's a "switching module" at the front of the bike that senses AC output and changes it over. This is kind of clever, actually, since it has weak stator output and this (almost) helps with the charging system. But it also catches fire. Italian design, Indian manufacturing!

Thankfully the ignition system is wholly separate from the lighting system so when your reg/rec fails and takes the battery and everything with it, you can still get home... with hand signals.

And it retains the kickstart, so when the patched-on electric start drains your battery, you can still get moving.

But you're still hosed when the CDI or the ignition coil go out.

When.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

The_Raven posted:

Did I ask this already? I'm going to do another H-D demo ride specifically so I can play music from my phone over the blue-teeth on those massive stereos. Anny good suggestions for my playlist? I was thinking Stand and Deliver by Adam and the Ants would be a good start. Maybe some Against Me! would be good too, although that is like some rockin', catchy 90s-style punk, so it may be unwittingly enjoyed. Pizzicato 5 would have to end up on the list too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yanni and Enya

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Five hour run of that gummy bear song.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVd5o8wedO8

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The Real McCoy, obviously. :colbert:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yanni and Enya

This is very good, too.

Those sound system and straight pipes idiots are the very same that give me loads of greif for putting in earplugs before I ride. Like endless scolding at how unsafe earplugs are, and how you can't "hear the cagers" around you. Even without the pipes and loud music, it's like these morons think they are bats, dodging danger by sound waves alone.

With the music and exhausts, I'm surprised they can hear anything, ever, on or off the bikes.

Ride the bike you love, sure, just don't be an rear end in a top hat about it.

Plus, they load up their overbuilt stators or whatever, and I'm over here running high level mathmatics to figure out how to juggle my 70 watt flood lights, heated grips, and a 76watt heated jacket without murdering the 690. :(

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

You know, I have to be there too.

Also, I can't think of a single song that references gummi bears in any way.

Thankfully.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't know a gummi bears song (don't post it), but that reminds me that Aqua exists. You need to be playing every track by Aqua as loud as the system will allow.

COME ON HARLEY, LET'S GO PARTY

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Coydog posted:

I don't know a gummi bears song (don't post it), but that reminds me that Aqua exists. You need to be playing every track by Aqua as loud as the system will allow.

COME ON HARLEY, LET'S GO PARTY

Along those lines I was thinking of the song Sugarboy by...Miss Papaya? It's the worst song in the world, like worse than you're imagining, and it's also not on Spotify, I think. On the other side of that coin, of course, is World Clique.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
You need to play Ugly Boy by Die Antwoord.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
OMG why is everyone stealing from the Aphex Twin?

Oh drat I should far up Illustrator and design a shirt for blipshift around the theme: Aphex V-Twin.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

captainOrbital posted:

Did I ask this already? I'm going to do another H-D demo ride specifically so I can play music from my phone over the blue-teeth on those massive stereos. Anny good suggestions for my playlist? I was thinking Stand and Deliver by Adam and the Ants would be a good start. Maybe some Against Me! would be good too, although that is like some rockin', catchy 90s-style punk, so it may be unwittingly enjoyed. Pizzicato 5 would have to end up on the list too.

Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's version of Over the Rainbow or Bobby McFerrin's Don't Worry Be Happy. There are no other options.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

Oh drat I should far up Illustrator and design a shirt for blipshift around the theme: Aphex V-Twin.

I want to see this.

captainOrbital posted:

Along those lines I was thinking of the song Sugarboy by...Miss Papaya? It's the worst song in the world, like worse than you're imagining, and it's also not on Spotify, I think. On the other side of that coin, of course, is World Clique.

I know that eventually I'll cave and look these up, but my resolve is strong... for now.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
World Clique is a record by Dee Lite, which is a perfect bridge between the synth-pop and new wave (think B52s) of the 80s and the ravey European dance stuff that peaked (in the States) with the likes of Underworld. I like that record, but then again I enjoy the synth-pop and new wave of the 80s and the 90s style of more thoughtful dance music like Underworld.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There's loads of stuff you could play... Some very gay Chicago house, some awful eurodance like Cascada or similar, but I wonder if that's just too obvious. Maybe go with something like Public Enemy and Wu Tang, maybe mix in some dirty south like Ludacris or something.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od7-fyGa9DQ

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had a coworker that used to blast teen girl pop stuff out of his bagger's stereo.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Finger Prince posted:

Maybe go with something like Public Enemy and Wu Tang, maybe mix in some dirty south like Ludacris or something.

So, like every bagger/busa in Atlanta?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LtXeOBnRtY

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

This gets my vote. It's pretty catchy.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
"Vis-a-vis the learnéd putzy..."

That is pretty catchy, drat. I can't for the life of me find it on Spotify, though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
We're probably all on DHS watchlists for clicking that link

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Declaring jihad on these apexes, amirite?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Declaring jihad on these apexes, amirite?

Jihad on cages. *puts a Jerry can on a Buell Blast and rides off without gear*

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

I don't know a gummi bears song (don't post it),

Look it up on youtube and you'll remember it. It's hampsterdance tier annoying.

Here's what I'd go with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFNPYNxJPlY&t=21s

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

captainOrbital posted:

Aphex V-Twin.

yes

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
One of the most amazing biking experiences in my life was being part of a group of twenty or so bikes filtering through about 3 miles of solid traffic behind a Goldwing with Ride of the Valkyrie blasting on it's stereo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One of the most amazing biking experiences in my life was being part of a group of twenty or so bikes filtering through about 3 miles of solid traffic behind a Goldwing with Ride of the Valkyrie blasting on it's stereo.

Welp, this owns.