Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah it's not like the rural areas supply urban areas with anything important. Cash doesn't flow the other direction much, though.

Automate that poo poo, more than it already is. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

Actually the worst type of person is the suburban white dude who blasts hick pop out his lifted truck that's never seen mud outside a highway shoulder.

yeah no arguments there

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

fits my needs posted:

I'm just a "loving idiot"

You are a loving idiot

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fits my needs posted:

Lol, it's cool Bernie will save all us Muslims he's supporting one for leading the DNC so apparently it's all good! I'm just a stupid minority who is "broke brain" and a "loving idiot" according to the Bernie Bros in this thread. Not too much of a difference between you folks' language and that of Trumps supporters.

Well you are a loving idiot.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can't quote him cause I have him on ignore but fits my needs is a loving idiot.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah it's not like the rural areas supply urban areas with anything important. Cash doesn't flow the other direction much, though.

Dont the majority of farms receive government subsidies? Pretty sure thats money going the other direction.

Also most farms are heavily automated these days. It only takes a small number of people to run them so you still end up with a bunch of unemployed people with no local job prospects.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Ah I see the reasonable " Uproot Rural Poors to somewhere Else" has infected this thread as well. When has relocating a population other than because of a disaster ever worked.

What the hell.
And I like how these people assume these backward rural poors would be relocated to our cities. Like where the gently caress would they go that wouldn't just make rent even more expensive? They'd go to the suburbs, which these people also hate.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

gently caress I'm fine with just giving them cash but then they complain about not doing actual work that makes things unlike those soft city boys who can't build a barn with their bare hands

gently caress, there are no jobs and will never again be jobs

We haven't even tried dude. Not even a token effort lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Not sure why this is getting so much attention all of a sudden considering this was from back in like March. Too bad no one cared about it back then.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Furnaceface posted:

Dont the majority of farms receive government subsidies? Pretty sure thats money going the other direction.

Also most farms are heavily automated these days. It only takes a small number of people to run them so you still end up with a bunch of unemployed people with no local job prospects.

Yeah that's what I meant by cash not flowing out much. I didn't want to say farming, too, since that's excluding other raw materials like mining.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Crazy Ted posted:

And I like how these people assume these backward rural poors would be relocated to our cities. Like where the gently caress would they go that wouldn't just make rent even more expensive? They'd go to the suburbs, which these people also hate.

They would literally just invade and gentrify whole neighborhoods and displace immigrant and minorities to outside of cities.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

What about normal things, like "improved infrastructure" and "government programs in rural areas like the loving TVA"

Okay, what is your plan for getting rural people to vote for that? What argument do you make to them that can beat "All of your problems are caused by minorities, vote for me and I'll get rid of them"? Democrats aren't the reason we aren't getting New Deal 2.0, it's that the people who would benefit from it most are opposed to government spending and just want jobs, and one of our two political parties is willing to lie to them and say that's a realistic possibility.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

fits my needs posted:

Lol, it's cool Bernie will save all us Muslims he's supporting one for leading the DNC so apparently it's all good! I'm just a stupid minority who is "broke brain" and a "loving idiot" according to the Bernie Bros in this thread. Not too much of a difference between you folks' language and that of Trumps supporters.

What loving point exactly are you trying to make? I've been trying to discern that for a while now and I still don't see anything beyond just trolling.

Do you have any actual, substantive argument as to why Bernie supporters are like Trump supporters?

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 17, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Everyone should hate the suburbs. They are a pox on the land and a money pit that will never be satisfied. :colbert:

Densification and full communism now.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The point being the urban liberal attitude towards the rural poor tends to swing between the paternalism of a colonist who knows those backwards tribesmen just can't help themselves and seething hatred, and the perception that the electoral college makes it necessary to accomodate them slightly is almost certainly the only thing that keeps them from straight up trying to kill them off Soviet-style.

Explain to me why I should believe white leftists and liberals, who overwhelmingly come from cities, will care about minority rights but are incapable of being trusted to care about rural poverty?

Re: NAFTA and free trade, it's because most of the jobs were taken to the Old Confederacy where they have no labor laws, not abroad. Now it's all automating.

In the short term we carry out a massive demand stimulus project to build infrastructure and hopefully their communities revitalize on the basis of having more money to spend and attracting business. In the long term, we figure out how to make them understand that manual labor as a concept is becoming obsolete.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

They would literally just invade and gentrify whole neighborhoods and displace immigrant and minorities to outside of cities.
On the other hand, I'd kill to see a spate of F-150's and RV's try to traverse New York City.

When I went to London in November of '14 on the cab ride in from the airport there was a crazy motherfucker trying to navigate Monday Morning, Rush Hour traffic in London in a loving full-sized Winnebago :stare:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not sure why this is getting so much attention all of a sudden considering this was from back in like March. Too bad no one cared about it back then.
How do you know it's from March?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Furnaceface posted:

Everyone should hate the suburbs. They are a pox on the land and a money pit that will never be satisfied. :colbert:

Densification and full communism now.

I'd accept suburbs if they had a reliable public transportation.

Mostly because I want a back yard to BBQ and drink beer in.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

What loving point exactly are you trying to make? I've been trying to discern that for a while now and I still don't see anything beyond just trolling.

Do you have any actual, substantive argument as to why Bernie supporters are like Trump supporters?

He's either a troll or his brain is broken. Take your pick.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Disenfranchising LA and NY is cool because their garbage cities full of garbage people

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Grouchio posted:

One of Trump's positions back then was this exact thing.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Trump were merely an economic populist, talking a big game about tariffs and isolationism, peddling standard supply-side economics and tax cuts for the rich, I could forgive the "rural right" for ushering him into power. But they had to go further and lard it all up with a healthy shot of nationalism, served neatly with race-baiting, misogyny, and xenophobia. Those people are self-absorbed fucks and I wish nothing but globalism on them.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I think fits my needs said he is Muslim and thus justifiably flipping out. Maybe you should go talk to somebody qualified to help you dude, shitposting on SA won't make it better. :(

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Because I remember that exact quotes encounter word for word from months ago.

Edit: hell according to a guy in CSPAM it was from last winter not long after San Bernadino. Which I fully believe because I know it was months ago.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 17, 2016

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I forgive a lot of rural whites for buying into a scam. The line's whether or not they use Trump as a justification of their racism.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Grouchio posted:

because he's going to march all those muslims onto planes and back out of the country

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fits my needs posted:

You just entirely making up what other people think of you really does an excellent job at disproving your custom title.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kobayashi posted:

If Trump were merely an economic populist, talking a big game about tariffs and isolationism, peddling standard supply-side economics and tax cuts for the rich, I could forgive the "rural right" for ushering him into power. But they had to go further and lard it all up with a healthy shot of nationalism, served neatly with race-baiting, misogyny, and xenophobia. Those people are self-absorbed fucks and I wish nothing but globalism on them.

Globalization****** (globalism/globalist is code for Jews, stop calling it that thread).

Also globalization is inevitable due to technology, the problem isn't bringing people closer together and encouraging peace and prosperity through trade, the problem is the unequal distribution of the rewards and a lack of oversight or control to protect the poor.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

On the other hand, I'd kill to see a spate of F-150's and RV's try to traverse New York City.

When I went to London in November of '14 on the cab ride in from the airport there was a crazy motherfucker trying to navigate Monday Morning, Rush Hour traffic in London in a loving full-sized Winnebago :stare:

I suddenly understand NIMBYism. It's bad enough that wealthier kids from these states are pricing everyone out of the outer boroughs, and Staten Island already votes redder than South Carolina. And goddamn these people for walking slow as hell, line a breast creating a barricade of idiots on the sidewalks when I'm trying to get somewhere. Go to Boston, NYC is full

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

We haven't even tried dude. Not even a token effort lol

Tried what?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

Globalization****** (globalism/globalist is code for Jews, stop calling it that thread).

poo poo, pretend I'm British, not a loving idiot.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

I'd accept suburbs if they had a reliable public transportation.

Mostly because I want a back yard to BBQ and drink beer in.

Reliable public transit is expensive as gently caress to operate in the burbs because of how much it spreads the population out, plus it is largely seen as a war on the car which for some reason is literally a suburb thing and depressing. :(

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Honestly coming from the suburbs, the city is kind of scary. A lotta people and a lotta cars and I detest using public transportation. Rural areas are too inconvenient to actually buy anything you need though.

That said suburban white people are definitely The Worst, myself included.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Honestly coming from the suburbs, the city is kind of scary. A lotta people and a lotta cars and I detest using public transportation. Rural areas are too inconvenient to actually buy anything you need though.

That said suburban white people are definitely The Worst, myself included.
Average Suburban White Person is fine.
Suburban White Person Who Pretends That They Are Not Suburban White Person is a scourge on humanity.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

To give them some semblance of hope for jobs

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

Explain to me why I should believe white leftists and liberals, who overwhelmingly come from cities, will care about minority rights but are in apable of being trusted to care about rural poverty?

Re: NAFTA and free trade, it's because most of the jobs were taken to the Old Confederacy where they have no labor laws, not abroad. Now it's all automating.

In the short term we carry out a massive demand stimulus project to build infrastructure and hopefully their communities revitalize on the basis of having more money to spend and attracting business. In the long term, we figure out how to make them understand that manual labor as a concept is becoming obsolete.

Because those minorities are their nextdoor neighbors, they deal with them personally even if they never bother to learn their names and need to arrive at some kind of peaceful detente with them so long as they're allowed to vote for city councilmembers and walk outside their ghettos the half-mile to the yuppie district. Back in history when that wasn't the case, liberals were uh considerably less solicitous of the wellbeing of black folks and immigrants. Nothing forces them to be so accommodating of people out past where the metro lines run who have their own political system and their own, often mutually exclusive, needs and priorities. The left has a history of not knowing how to deal with rural folks, who don't fit into their big efficiency-through-centralization plans, except by suppressing or annihilating them. That poo poo dates back to Lenin, and the pre-Marx urban-bourgeois antecedents to the modern left were no better.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 17, 2016

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

To give them some semblance of hope for jobs

Why didn't anyone lie to them before? Good question

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

What about normal things, like "improved infrastructure" and "government programs in rural areas like the loving TVA"

uh are you so young that you forgot about the nearly $800 billion dollar stimulus in 2009 that republicans largely hated because democrats were doing it

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

Also globalization is inevitable due to technology, the problem isn't bringing people closer together and encouraging peace and prosperity through trade, the problem is the unequal distribution of the rewards and a lack of oversight or control to protect the poor.

And lack of any sort of protection for our only planet. But that's too late now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Crazy Ted posted:

Average Suburban White Person is fine.
Suburban White Person Who Pretends That They Are Not Suburban White Person is a scourge on humanity.

I mean let's be real here, when people say "arrogant city person" they mean rich white city people. Most middle or lower class minorities aren't writing thinkpieces or watching Lena Dunham.

Well that snide, arrogant, self-centeredness and casual hatred of minorities and "leaders" is nearly all suburban white people too.

• Locked thread