Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Slim Pickens posted:

I picked up a dewalt bit kit on clearance a while ago, and aside from the right side of that plastic case being 3/4 full of #2 bits, they also included a little tic-tac container full of #2 bits. I guess they know the struggle.

#2 Philips bits wear out quickly when used with power drivers. Those kits are aimed at drywallers who drive a bazillion drywall screws putting up sheetrock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

I KNOW Apple can do better.

I'm not sure they can, anymore. Steve Jobs' most important role at Apple (IMO) was telling people when not to do something because it's stupid, and he's dead now.

BraveUlysses posted:

Personally, I use sae sockets and wrenches so infrequently compared to metric that I dumped them all into my "poo poo tools I never use" box.

Same, but the opposite. Hate finding random metric fasteners in stuff, gotta go to the other side of the toolbox just for your special snowflake bullshit.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Horrible mechanical design failure

Ultra-minimal

Ultra-useless

Literally everything is wrong

http://schneidersarto.com/wrench-aesthetics/

This has gotta be one of those "oh poo poo, I need to make something to pad my graphic design portfolio *sees one of those thin wrenches you use to assemble furniture with* A HA!!! I GOT IT!!! *fires up Photoshop*" kind of deals.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

slidebite posted:

Until I got the Porsche, I don't think I ever used an odd number socket on any of my Japanese cars since I was a kid, with the exception of 17mm and 19mm. 8, 10, 12, 14 probably were 90% of the fasteners. Now I run into 13 and 15 very commonly and have to actually think about it grabbing a socket/wrench now.

The DeLorean has a total of two 7mm bolts that I ever encountered. Both hold the AC belt tensioner to the front of the block (which was only put on that PRV-6 because power steering was omitted in the design of the car). Also the knee bolsters below the dashboard are held on by 6mm bolts.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

From the little bit of wrenching I've done on my boxster, Porsche is definitely filled with engineers who love to min/max and use the best suited solution for the job. I'm so used to Subaru and Honda where it was designed with either assembly or maintenance in mind, where all the bolts that hold the thing are the same size and most likely sized according the one that needed to be largest, because you save time and money by not having your workers figure out which drat bolt goes where and you only use the one tool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nearly everything on my Honda motorcycles comes off with 8, 10, 12, 14 and 17mm sockets and 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8mm hex keys. It's great.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The cars too, only a Philips and flat head instead of allen keys. There was a single weird bolt I ran into somewhere in the interior when I was pulling panels off, I think the seat belt anchor was a 15 or something like that, but it was so much cleaner than the washers and spacers that I think the Body Shop put it on by mistake.
I triple checked that I torqued that one properly...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's the 17mm that gets me, with my three Japanese vehicles. Every set of box-ends in stores around here omits it and I think I had to pay :20bux: for one because I needed it that day and could not use a socket.

Oddly, it's the only wrench I never lose.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

It's the 17mm that gets me, with my three Japanese vehicles. Every set of box-ends in stores around here omits it and I think I had to pay :20bux: for one because I needed it that day and could not use a socket.

18mm is the one for me. Gms use it randomly. Germans LOVE to use it for alignment parts.

And I still never use my 9mm. I think it should be removed from all sets and an extra 8 or 10.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Don't need an extra 8mm. It might be smaller, but when was the last time you lost one?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

Nearly everything on my Honda motorcycles comes off with 8, 10, 12, 14 and 17mm sockets and 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8mm hex keys. It's great.

You can completely disassemble a cb125 with the toolkit that came under the seat.

The one thing that threw me for a loop was pulling the rotor from the engine until I realized THIS.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 17, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hah, yep. That's the front axle, right? Same thing on my CL350.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Raluek posted:

I'm not sure they can, anymore. Steve Jobs' most important role at Apple (IMO) was telling people when not to do something because it's stupid, and he's dead now.

Which is pretty loving ironic.

Panaflex posted:

The DeLorean has a total of two 7mm bolts that I ever encountered. Both hold the AC belt tensioner to the front of the block (which was only put on that PRV-6 because power steering was omitted in the design of the car). Also the knee bolsters below the dashboard are held on by 6mm bolts.

My 2012 Jeep interior is full of 7mm.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Have you ever noticed that no equipment uses, like, 9¾ mm hex‐head bolts?

No one makes bolts that size and no one makes drivers that size so even VAG engineers are unable to put one in the BOM.

We should outlaw the production and importation of all the weird sizes like 9 mm.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You can completely disassemble a cb125 with the toolkit that came under the seat.

The one thing that threw me for a loop was pulling the rotor from the engine until I realized THIS.

But did you ever get that CB125 working again? You need to update that post.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Have you ever noticed that no equipment uses, like, 9¾ mm hex‐head bolts?

No one makes bolts that size and no one makes drivers that size so even VAG engineers are unable to put one in the BOM.

We should outlaw the production and importation of all the weird sizes like 9 mm.

This is a good post.

And i have had to replace MANY 8mm sockets from working on many Japanese cars. Usually its my 3/8 8mm i still have my full set of 1/4 metrics somehow. And why does ford feel the need to use 4.5mm tiny screws :downsgun:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

DoLittle posted:

The European standard is actually M5 - 8 mm, M6 - 10 mm, M8 - 13 mm, M10 - 17 mm, M12 -19 mm etc.

See this poo poo is the only thing that makes me appreciate SAE hardware - the head of the bolt/nut is 1.5 times larger than the thread. 1/2" bolt? 3/4" wrench. 1/4" bolt? 3/8" wrench. Unless it's a heavy hex, then it's 1.5x the thread diameter plus 1/8".

Other than that, gently caress fractions. Quick - whats one bigger than 9/32"?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
17/64"?

I thought it was double nominator & denominator, subtract 1 from nominator. (Unless I'm some horrible mathematical failure :()

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

charliemonster42 posted:

See this poo poo is the only thing that makes me appreciate SAE hardware - the head of the bolt/nut is 1.5 times larger than the thread. 1/2" bolt? 3/4" wrench. 1/4" bolt? 3/8" wrench. Unless it's a heavy hex, then it's 1.5x the thread diameter plus 1/8".

10/32, duh!

Now get me a 12/32 drive ratchet and a 128/32 inch extender to go with it so we can get started

E:

TotalLossBrain posted:

17/64"?

I thought it was double nominator & denominator, subtract 1 from nominator. (Unless I'm some horrible mathematical failure :()

It's 5/16. Thankfully I have never seen an SAE socket with anything larger than 32 in the denominator

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 17, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
9/33" :smugdog:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

John Cage’s ill‐received sequel.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's, uh, slightly smaller than 9/32

anyway point stands. picking fasteners is one thing, but just try doing mental math with it, especially when you have to mix fractional and decimal. "I have a 29/64 thick piece of wood, and I have a 1/4" router bit, and the maximum cut depth of the tool is 4/3 of the tool diameter, and the router table is 3/4" thick. how far do I insert the tool into the collet? :suicide:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 17, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

jamal posted:

JIS standard goes 10,12,14,17 while other standards are generally 10,13,15,18 for m6, 8, 10, 12 respectively. Nothing more annoying than a non-jis bolt on a Japanese car and needing a different size wrench.

Apparently the Japanese won't use 13mm bolts anywhere on their cars because superstition.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

that's, uh, slightly smaller than 9/32

anyway point stands. picking fasteners is one thing, but just try doing mental math with it, especially when you have to mix fractional and decimal. "I have a 29/64 thick piece of wood, and I have a 1/4" router bit, and the maximum cut depth of the tool is 4/3 of the tool diameter, and the router table is 3/4" thick. how far do I insert the tool into the collet? :suicide:

I just punch these in to Wolfram|Alpha or a suitably‐featured calculator.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Powershift posted:

There should be a store where you can just go in and scoop them into a bag. 1/2 a pound of 10mm sockets, 1/4 pound of 13mm sockets, and a box of #2 robertson screwdriver bits.

I'm constantly surprised that Princess Auto here in Canada hasn't picked up the torch on this. I can buy 1000 o-rings but not 100 pack of sockets what an outrage

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I thought Princess Auto was a joke name that guy on youtube used.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8ender posted:

I'm constantly surprised that Princess Auto here in Canada hasn't picked up the torch on this. I can buy 1000 o-rings but not 100 pack of sockets what an outrage

No, princess auto is our harbour freight.

Every red blooded canadian has memories of going in there as a kid and going straight to the surplus section to see what kind of wacky chinese poo poo fell off the truck.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/b/surplus/surplus/N-t2zgtp

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Apparently the Japanese won't use 13mm bolts anywhere on their cars because superstition.

Why the gently caress is that a Japanese superstition?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Godholio posted:

Japan likes to take western concepts and say "Yes, we do that too now."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's an everybody superstition, but numerology is still very much on display in much of eastern Asia.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I thought their deal was the number 4 because it's close to a word for death. Unlucky 13 is such a bizarre superstition to adopt and even more bizarre to take it seriously, but lord knows we've taken equally stupid beliefs because "ancient cultures once..."

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Godholio posted:

It isn't. I checked some Japanese language sources and the old JIS standard allowed either 13mm or 12mm heads for M8 fittings. Most sites seem to think that 12mm is used on cars because of the tight working spaces. Apparently all M8s are 13mm under the new JIS standard though so if you go down to a hardware store, that's what you're likely to find.

Not once was there any mention of superstitions.

Some buildings do skip the 4th, 9th and yes sometimes even 13th floors but its by no means a standard. The traditional pronunciation of 4 (shi) is the same as death, and the short pronunciation of 9 (ku) is the same as the simple reading for the kanji for suffering. For these reasons you should never give somebody a comb (kushi) as a present because it means you wish them suffering and death. :v:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 17, 2016

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Fermented Tinal posted:

I bought a deep impact socket set once and it came with 2 17mm sockets, and no 16mm. I turned one into a drift (ie: I used it as a drift once and now it's totally unusable for anything else). And for that odd time I need 16mm deep impact, 5/8" is close enough.

Actually, for anyone who cares, Snap-on sells 2 sets of 3/8" drive swivel impact sockets, one SAE and one metric, and are often on a BOGO sale. The SAE set has 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", and 3/4", while the metric set has 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, and 18mm. It was only recently that I realised it is actually one combined set, covering every standard size from 10mm all the way up to 3/4" (which is actually onlu 0.05mm longer than 19mm), as each set fills out the holes in the other.

1/2" and 13mm are occasionally interchangeable if the tolerance on the bolt head is out enough.

Sagebrush posted:

I want to print this out and make little cards I can hand out to old guys who tell me that "Standard isn't so bad, once you get your head around it."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Midjack posted:

It's an everybody superstition, but numerology is still very much on display in much of eastern Asia.

It doesn't make sense for Japan to get upset about religious poo poo in Western Europe in 1307.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

clam ache posted:

And I still never use my 9mm. I think it should be removed from all sets and an extra 8 or 10.

Bicycles commonly use 9mm. In fact, I didn't have one of those until I got my bike; my metric wrenches started at 10mm.

Godholio posted:

Which is pretty loving ironic.

Agreed.

Cojawfee posted:

I thought Princess Auto was a joke name that guy on youtube used.

Home of the POWER FIST brand of hand tools! Maybe I should visit canada someday...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

No, princess auto is our harbour freight.

Every red blooded canadian has memories of going in there as a kid and going straight to the surplus section to see what kind of wacky chinese poo poo fell off the truck.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/b/surplus/surplus/N-t2zgtp

As a kid? Yeah. Umm, as a kid. Of course. Adults would never do that. :ninja:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

charliemonster42 posted:

I wish what you said up top was true, and it seems to be for the larger sizes, 1/2" especially. 3/4 is the normal sized hex, the heavy nuts we have for the t-slot hardware for our mills are 7/8" nuts.

Unfortunately, it falls off at smaller sizes- I know for a fact that a 1/4" machine screw takes a nut that a 7/16" wrench fits, a 3/8" wrench belongs to a #10 screw, a #8 screw takes a 11/32, and a 5/16" screw has a 1/2" nut, 9/16" for heavy.

Perhaps a safer bet would be to say heavy nuts go to the next size up? 1/4" goes from 7/16" to 1/2" wrench sizes, 1/2" is the native wrench size for 5/16" which sizes up to 9/16" in a heavy nut, which is the native wrench size for 3/8"...

Can you guess what size fasteners we use a whole lot at work?

glyph fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 17, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Raluek posted:

Bicycles commonly use 9mm. In fact, I didn't have one of those until I got my bike; my metric wrenches started at 10mm.

Agreed.

Home of the POWER FIST brand of hand tools! Maybe I should visit canada someday...

Don't forget ProPoint which are marketed as "higher end" than PowerFist but are literally the same tools painted a different colour.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

The Door Frame posted:

I thought their deal was the number 4 because it's close to a word for death. Unlucky 13 is such a bizarre superstition to adopt and even more bizarre to take it seriously, but lord knows we've taken equally stupid beliefs because "ancient cultures once..."

I think it's China where the number 4 is bad luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Because it's half of 8 and 8 is lucky.