Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Alternatively, why does any media outlet listen when a politician spouts off about a thing they literally know nothing about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Alternatively, why does any media outlet listen when a politician spouts off about a thing they literally know nothing about?

Free content.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Abbott ousted Turnbull by arguing against climate change scientists whose work he hadn't read, citing skeptics whose work he also hadn't read.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I doubt reading it would have helped, the climate debate has about as much to do with science as the creationism debate.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Abbott ousted Turnbull by arguing against climate change scientists whose work he hadn't read, citing skeptics whose work he also hadn't read.

wait he's pm again?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

wait he's pm again?

No, the first time.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:vomarine: :vomarine: :vomarine: :vomarine: :vomarine: :vomarine: :vomarine: :vomarine: :vomarine: :vomarine: :vomarine: :vomarine: :vomarine: :vomarine:

quote:

Ex-Queensland premier Campbell Newman spotted in talks with One Nation adviser

Former Queensland premier Campbell Newman has shrugged off the significance of a meeting with One Nation's chief adviser, days after predicting the next government in the state would need to form a coalition with the Pauline Hanson-led party.

Mr Newman, who made history by losing the 2015 state election just three years after sweeping to victory in a landslide, has largely refrained from publicly commenting on state politics since returning to the private sector – until recently.

Speaking to Sky News on Monday, Mr Newman said the next Queensland election would be decided by One Nation, with polls showing voters are still undecided about both major parties, while support for Senator Hanson's party continues to grow.

"So the next government in Queensland will have to be a coalition government with One Nation," he said, adding that he believed Senator Hanson was an "older and wiser politician than 20 years ago".

"You can talk preferences all you like; they are going to win enough seats," he said.

Three days after making the comments, Mr Newman was spotted walking out of Waterfront Place in Brisbane where Senator Hanson has her offices with her chief adviser, James Ashby.

"I'm a political commentator these days," he told Fairfax Media. "I was interested to know what their policy positions are."

Mr Newman described the meeting as happenstance.

"I won't deny I met him," he said. "I do a lot of business on Waterfront Place; the lawyers and bankers I work with are there.

"I happened to see him and had a chat to him."

Mr Newman denied he was planning a comeback to Queensland politics. His return to a commentary role has been greeted with unease by some of his former colleagues, although the move has been welcomed by his supporters within the party.

One Nation's impact on the coming Queensland election – due by early 2018 but widely expected in September or October next year – has both major parties worried, with Labor and the LNP stepping up their regional profile.

One Nation won 23 per cent of the vote in 1998 and 11 seats in the unicameral Parliament.

Annastacia Palaszczuk's Labor party governs with the support of three independents, with both the LNP and Labor holding 42 seats each.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...117-gsril7.html

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

The expected election of the first Shooters, Fishers and Farmers MP to the NSW Parliament's lower house has sparked uproar, with education minister Adrian Piccoli feigning shooting members of the opposition front bench to make a point.

In extraordinary scenes, Mr Piccoli began yelling "Bang, bang, bang!" while pointing at Labor MPs. "You don't get out of it that easily!" he yelled. "That's the Shooters party!".

Education Minister and former deputy leader of the NSW National Party Adrian Piccoli pointed to members of the opposition and shouted the word "€˜bang€" several times during a debate in the House of Representatives.

Shooters, Fishers and Farmers candidate Philip Donato is set to be formally claim victory in Orange following Saturday's byelection which saw a record 34 per cent swing against the Nationals on the primary vote.

During the final question time of the year, Mr Piccoli – who was until Tuesday deputy leader of the NSW Nationals – attacked the opposition for the decision to direct preferences to Mr Donato.

"What you've done is deliver a Shooter's party member to this parliament," Mr Piccoli said.

"They're not interested in education … they want to get rid of the national gun laws. That's the deal that they did."

Mr Piccoli said opposition leader Luke Foley was "celebrating with the Shooters Party the other night".

"So what's he celebrating?" he asked. "AR-15 assault rifles? Because that's what they want in NSW! That's what you've given them!"

To calls of "that is disgraceful" from the opposition benches, Mr Piccoli said the preference deal and its result "is not without consequence".

"I've got a wife and two children. They're eight and six. And we go on holidays. We may have been at Port Arthur that day."

As Labor MPs shouted, "You're a disgrace" Mr Piccoli declared, "You did a preference deal with people who want to get rid of the national gun laws!"

Mr Piccoli then rose and began shouting "Bang, bang, bang!" while pointing at Labor MPs. "You don't get out of it that easily!" he yelled. "That's the Shooters party!".

Mr Piccoli told Fairfax Media afterwards: "A lot of Labor supporters would be scratching their heads about the ALP supporting a party that wants to get rid of the national gun laws."

Shooters, Fishers and Farmers upper house member Robert Borsak said Mr Piccoli was "worried about the fact he's going to be thrown out of the cabinet".

"He is the perfect example of a National party member of parliament who has no understanding at all of the gun laws or the requirements to be a member for people living in the bush."

Mr Foley has been approached for comment.

He's not wrong.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lid posted:

He's not wrong.

meanwhile, in the federal government, the lnp is making deals to water down gun laws so andrew bolt can insult aboriginal people

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Fucken poo poo jobs for poo poo wages while there's more money and productivity but a house costs 10x an annual income and all the libs want to talk about is allowing more people to be publically racist.

Full Planetary Explosion Now!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

open24hours posted:

I doubt reading it would have helped, the climate debate has about as much to do with science as the creationism debate.

Maybe not but people should have stopped giving him airtime the moment he admitted to being so disingenuous, but they didn't and they won't ever do it to anyone on any topic, shoot me in the head.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Cirofren posted:

Fucken poo poo jobs for poo poo wages while there's more money and productivity but a house costs 10x an annual income and all the libs want to talk about is allowing more people to be publically racist.

Full Planetary Explosion Now!

Burgiy gently caress (alternatively: rural gently caress)

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Just gonna leave this here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/799063902642458624

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Obama had a 2 year one, and these kind of things typically have massive loopholes.

It also doesn't (and hasn't) stopped Trump hiring a shitload of lobbyists for his transition team.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Les Affaires posted:

I guess it's good to know that in his old age he will have lived to see the effects of it on his children.

his kids will be rich enough to be mildly inconvenienced by it at worst

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

IT'S HAPPENING

Official Coalition Agreement!

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Anidav posted:

IT'S HAPPENING

Official Coalition Agreement!

What would that entail? Not selling a single public asset?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ora Tzo posted:

One Nation is hungry for recognition, doing so would make them "The" Third Party in QLD.

Internal polling is rumoured to be putting them at 20% Primary Vote at the next State Election, The LNP forming an Official Coalition Agreement with them pretty much means the LNP wins the next State Election.

Probably most Elections after it as well.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

One Nation is hungry for recognition, doing so would make them "The" Third Party in QLD.

Internal polling is rumoured to be putting them at 20% Primary Vote at the next State Election, The LNP forming an Official Coalition Agreement with them pretty much means the LNP wins the next State Election.

Probably most Elections after it as well.

But Queensland would become an uninhabitable wasteland.

E: Annastacia's compulsory preferential voting gambit not looking so clever now, the LNP and one nation could have killed each other off in three cornered contests, now they can combine to create an enormous monstrosity of gently caress.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 17, 2016

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

"become"

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

But Queensland would become an enormous monstrosity of gently caress.

Queensland can just be written off. The day they regain a bicameral legislature is the day they can start being taken seriously again.

Magog fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 17, 2016

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

E: Annastacia's compulsory preferential voting gambit not looking so clever now, the LNP and one nation could have killed each other off in three cornered contests, now they can combine to create an enormous monstrosity of gently caress.

Also a One Nation Member would have to be Deputy Premier in an LNP-ONP Government.

Meaning the clowns are coming.

This pretty much makes the ALP Govt a One Term Govt, they can't counter it because the QLD Greens vote isn't high enough.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Magog posted:

Queensland can just be written off. The day they regain a bicameral legislature is the day they can start being taken seriously again.

If we're dreaming let's dream of a unicameral STV system.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Yes, the problem is definitely with a system that better represents the will of the electorate, and not that Queensland should be nuked from orbit.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Queensland going back to a Joh one party dictatorship is concerning.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Ora Tzo posted:

only selling them to whitey

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

Queensland going back to a Joh one party dictatorship is concerning.

If they vote for it, they deserve it. I've got no sympathy at all, having lived through Joh #1.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lol now Potato Head Dutton is blaming Malcolm Fraser for the immigration woes that have befallen Australia.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/nov/18/australia-paying-for-immigration-mistakes-made-by-malcolm-fraser-says-peter-dutton

Ok cool, they have put my dipshit local Federal representative as the head of the committee to look into how young immigrants are getting into gangs.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

dutton is about two months away from the 14 words

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

BBJoey posted:

dutton is about two months away from the 14 words

Mate, he's only just learnt to use all his fingers on one hand, I think getting to toes within two months is a bit optimistic.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

well you see, the east african, due to his unique skull shape, is unsuited to the climes of Australia, and enters a feral rage upon reaching our shores, making them unsuitable for settlement.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Mate, he's only just learnt to count to five, I think that's a bit optimistic.

Yeah and he'll be counting to 8 soon.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dutton is that dumb hanger-on trying to think up things to impress the boss. "Ooh we hate Fraser now, I can blame him!"

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
We had an African 'gang problem' in Newcastle. Groups of suspicious-looking teenagers would be reported to the police. It usually turned out they were all from the same family and on their way to another family member's house.

But still. Packs of blacks. You gotta be on the lookout.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Magog posted:

Burgiy gently caress (alternatively: rural gently caress)

Certainly wasn't using my own experience, I will be renting until I am dead or jobless, just median house price and median income.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Starshark posted:

We had an African 'gang problem' in Newcastle. Groups of suspicious-looking teenagers would be reported to the police. It usually turned out they were all from the same family and on their way to another family member's house.

I've heard people in polls tell me ISIS is in Holland Park.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You Am I posted:

lol now Potato Head Dutton is blaming Malcolm Fraser for the immigration woes that have befallen Australia.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/nov/18/australia-paying-for-immigration-mistakes-made-by-malcolm-fraser-says-peter-dutton

Ok cool, they have put my dipshit local Federal representative as the head of the committee to look into how young immigrants are getting into gangs.

"Why are all these criminal, subhuman, un-Australian, bludging refugees joining gangs?!? Must be their temperament."

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Union fraudsters arrested and charged.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-18/two-arrested-over-alleged-fraud-of-nsw-branch-of-national-union/8036292

And none of this would have been possible if it wasn't for the ABCC and its special powers. No wait. Lol. Turns out we already have all the laws and legal apparatus necessary to deal with this issue. Who knew?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Hey, what the hell is up with Sydney Airport? You can just walk out the front gate and into a suburb or something? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Starshark posted:

I definitely hadn't heard this, guessing it was around Jesmond or Wallsend?

• Locked thread