Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

new phone who dis posted:

Any word on how the Wood Elves are going to work in the campaign?

We have no idea yet, they technically haven't even been announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Hoping for some concept of time to be added, so the woodelf army has to wax and wane in power on a seasonal cycle, would be fun for campaign but I guess they would need to standardize their power for MP.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wish they d just post the text, those letter pictures are hard to read.

Serious post, you might want to get your eyes checked because that text is very clear and really easy to read.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wafflecopper posted:

Serious post, you might want to get your eyes checked because that text is very clear and really easy to read.

Not if you're on your phone

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

They've already confirmed that Bretts are overtuned to compensate for a truncated roster, things will be more in line on their full release, including a fix for the Beloved Son Of Brettonia bug.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Deified Data posted:

Is the map even big enough to hold all these mens?

The big forest is already there, at least that's where I'm assuming they'll put the elves.

Then someone else sailed over to some spot that looks like Tomb Kings land. Not sure if they had to glitch out the game to do it, pictures were on the tw forums.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This was taken south of Tilea

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

V for Vegas posted:

Oh thank god I'm not going crazy. In my Clan Angrund campaign I got a pretty clear view of the Sour Sea and the western side of the World's Edge Mountains down there. It seems like the black on the edges on the map is starting to fill in a little.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

V for Vegas posted:

So this just used to be empty, then?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

brocretin posted:

So this just used to be empty, then?

They have slowly been making the borders larger. I've noticed it when zooming out on the campaign map.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

So what you're saying is, Tomb Kings confirmed.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

wiegieman posted:

So what you're saying is, Tomb Kings confirmed.

Scarab forearm bird bird wavy line.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
I wonder how new factions will fit into the regional occupation mechanic. Are the Tomb Kings in the Dwarf/Orc category or the Human/VC category? With whom do the Tomb Kings primarily fight in the lore?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tomb Kings are in the "get off my lawn" category.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
It'll definitely be interesting seeing how they incorporate more and more armies, especially ones on the fringes of the map. I'd even hope they tweak some of the scripted nature of the game. Why have a big chaos invasion as the 'end boss' when you're playing as Tomb Kings/Ogres/Chaos Dwarves? At a certain point you've almost got too many moving parts.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Necroskowitz posted:

I wonder how new factions will fit into the regional occupation mechanic. Are the Tomb Kings in the Dwarf/Orc category or the Human/VC category? With whom do the Tomb Kings primarily fight in the lore?

Tomb Kings primarily sit in Nehekhara and defend their property, primarily going on the offensive when somebody raids one of their tombs and takes their stuff (in one case, their main leader, Settra, spent years up in Norsca hunting down 12 Norscan champions who had stolen his crown a decade prior). That said, there are a couple usual suspects they fight with:

Bretonnia - back during the crusades against Araby, the Bretonnian Duke Chelsric was assassinated by Prince Apophas, a being made of a humanoid scarab swarm and the personal assassin of the Nehekharan god of the underworld. Bretonnia responded with several retaliatory crusades into the Land of the Dead, one of which mistakenly brought back the Tomb King Amanhotep the Intolerant under the assumption that it was Duke Cheldric's body they had recovered.

Dwarfs - the Dwarfs don't seem to have much of a regard for the belongings of dead people (even the living dead) so one particular Tomb King city has been in a constant state of warfare with a neighboring Dwarf Hold for centuries due to a dispute over the ownership of a hammer incorporating a bronze disk from the local king's treasury

Greenskins - they live right on the border of Nehekhara and like to raid it for shiny things.

Empire - not so much major armies as treasure hunters and small incursions who raid the tombs then take their loot back to the Empire. During the Nemesis Crown global campaign in tabletop, while everyone else was squabbling over the crown, the Tomb Kings took the opportunity to raid Altdorf's museum

Vampire Counts - the big one. While both Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts trace their origin to the necromancer Nagash, the Tomb Kings resent what they have become and hate the vampires for their role in serving Nagash during his initial attempt at military conquest of Nehekhara. When the city of Lahmia was found to be a den of vampires, basically all the other Nehekharan states teamed up to raze it to the ground and kill any vampire stupid enough to remain in the city. In more recent times, the High Queen of Lybaras, Khalida, continues to zealously hunt Vampires, going so far as to team up with Arkhan the Black (Nagash's apprentice) to get an army all the way up to Sylvania and stake a Count in his coffin.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Dartonus posted:

Greenskins - they're orcs, and they're close.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
I expect they'll just have Settra decide to expand and conquer the world, rather than make the faction essentially passive. Introducing Tomb Kings would also be the obvious point to include a Nagash invasion, to provide an endgame villain for the south.

What I'm most interested in is whether they include Araby through, even if just as an empire reskin.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

It might be almost a mirror of the empire in the north. Large, unorganised factions of the same culture that can confederate, meanwhile facing Orcs and a smattering of Dwarfs, and at the end a massive endgame incursion from The Big Bad. Beastmen show up basically everywhere so you can have them spawn + Bretonnia is in the mix occasionally. I see it working.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Warhammer feels half baked and boring to me.

I put 10x as many hours into Rome 2.

Returning to historicals won't feel like a step back, Warhammer hasn't done anything remarkable.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

sassassin posted:

Warhammer feels half baked and boring to me.

I put 10x as many hours into Rome 2.

Returning to historicals won't feel like a step back, Warhammer hasn't done anything remarkable.

I'd call having 6 completely distinct and unique factions with no overlap in units, buildings or visuals pretty remarkable

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Double Bill posted:

I'd call having 6 completely distinct and unique factions with no overlap in units, buildings or visuals pretty remarkable

Don't feed the contrarian.

Also, which mod is best to stop the Chaos invasion?
I just put down Achaon and Kholek using Skarsnik and Chaos at this point is just boring.
Nagash would be a cool way to mix things up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Double Bill posted:

The post I was responding to:

Megasabin posted:

This game is so much more interesting than any of the previous entries I'm not sure how they can ever go back now. That's not even a knock against their previous games, it's just they did such a fantastic job with the Warhammer license. Also they have enough content to keep this going for years.

There's nothing stopping them creating the same amount of variety in a non-Warhammer setting. They have pushed the formula forward with this game, but it's not a complete paradigm shift by any stretch of the imagination.

Moving on from Warhammer won't be a big stumbling block.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

sassassin posted:

The post I was responding to:

There's nothing stopping them creating the same amount of variety in a non-Warhammer setting. They have pushed the formula forward with this game, but it's not a complete paradigm shift by any stretch of the imagination.

Moving on from Warhammer won't be a big stumbling block.

But the Warhammer setting is exactly what enabled the variety. Historical variety has to be a lot more subtle, i.e. you can't have steam tanks fighting giant spiders in medieval Europe. The replayability value of TW: Warhammer is insane compared to other TWs since every faction is a unique experience in almost every gameplay aspect.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Double Bill posted:

The replayability value of TW: Warhammer is insane compared to other TWs since every faction is a unique experience in almost every gameplay aspect.

My personal experience of this has been the opposite. As I said, I've spent 10x as long playing minor variations of pikes & cavalry charge Greek-ish factions with different starting positions in Rome 2.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can anyone recommend any mods that would improve the army recruitment variety on the campaign? my problem is unmodded very hard/very hard I tend to take over half the world with basic troops and never get to fight anything higher then basic grunts on both sides, my last game as greenskins I triggered the chaos invasion by turn 28.

Is there a mod or combo of mods that would quickly open up mid-level troops to everyone and almost everything else by turn 50ish?

I'm guessing I'd want a massively increased research rate for everyone mod for starters.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Can anyone recommend any mods that would improve the army recruitment variety on the campaign? my problem is unmodded very hard/very hard I tend to take over half the world with basic troops and never get to fight anything higher then basic grunts on both sides, my last game as greenskins I triggered the chaos invasion by turn 28.

Is there a mod or combo of mods that would quickly open up mid-level troops to everyone and almost everything else by turn 50ish?

I'm guessing I'd want a massively increased research rate for everyone mod for starters

Tier 4 Minor Settlements will greatly open up the AI's choices to build cool armies
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=700071210

AI buildings and army composition a companion mod made to work with Tier 4 Minor Settlements
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761596200

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

sassassin posted:

My personal experience of this has been the opposite. As I said, I've spent 10x as long playing minor variations of pikes & cavalry charge Greek-ish factions with different starting positions in Rome 2.

Sounds like you don't like new things. I couldn't play Rome 2 at all because it just turned into infantry blobs.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nods, Grimgorishly

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hernia The Hunter posted:

Sounds like you don't like new things. I couldn't play Rome 2 at all because it just turned into infantry blobs.

If any one of the factions' playstyles had clicked with me maybe I would have enjoyed this game more to date. Hopefully Welves scratch that itch (weak line troops so probably not).

Or maybe the lack of different starting positions would have then be even more disappointing? Making 4/5/6 completely different experiences is not always better than a couple dozen slightly different ones.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Does the double skill point mod increase the difficulty of AI armies noticeably or do they just waste the skill points while your guys quickly become murder gods?

Captain Beans posted:

Tier 4 Minor Settlements will greatly open up the AI's choices to build cool armies
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=700071210

AI buildings and army composition a companion mod made to work with Tier 4 Minor Settlements
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761596200

I'll give them a try, thanks.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 17, 2016

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

sassassin posted:

If any one of the factions' playstyles had clicked with me maybe I would have enjoyed this game more to date. Hopefully Welves scratch that itch (weak line troops so probably not).

Or maybe the lack of different starting positions would have then be even more disappointing? Making 4/5/6 completely different experiences is not always better than a couple dozen slightly different ones.

If you're more into historical stuff try The Empire as a pike and shot experience? You are early renaissance Holy Roman Empire fighting nightmare monsters, whats not to love? Free company troops also changed the game for Empire totally. Branch out from there.

Starting positions are going to be altered sure, but you have so much room to expand in different directions and focus on so many different things as the Empire that I don't know what else you'd want. (Aside from your previously stated preferences of course.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Guns are for cowards.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Grumio posted:

It'll definitely be interesting seeing how they incorporate more and more armies, especially ones on the fringes of the map. I'd even hope they tweak some of the scripted nature of the game. Why have a big chaos invasion as the 'end boss' when you're playing as Tomb Kings/Ogres/Chaos Dwarves? At a certain point you've almost got too many moving parts.

Hell I ask this question when playing as Dwarfs and Greenskins too. In the Badlands Chaos just isn't your problem.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah it would be nice to have randomised end of the world stuff going on rather than Chaos every time. The first time or two Chaos was a big deal for me, then in my last couple of campaigns as Dwarfs and Vampires I've strangled them at birth and they've not even gotten past Kislev (with the Dwarfs, they didn't even manage to leave the area of Kraka Drak).

I didn't play any of the TWs between Medieval 2 and this (except a few abortive hours in Rome 2). Recently bought Shogun and it's like stepping back in time - it's still a good game, but there's clear advancement in quality of life stuff. I'd love a Medieval 3, that was always my favourite setting.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah I'm sure there will be randomized endgame threats eventually. Sometimes the Chaos invasion is superstrong, sometimes Nagash shows up in the south, sometimes the Skaven gets their poo poo together etc.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Kainser posted:

Yeah I'm sure there will be randomized endgame threats eventually. Sometimes the Chaos invasion is superstrong, sometimes Nagash shows up in the south, sometimes the Skaven gets their poo poo together etc.

I'd like this approach. Especially if there's a "Sometimes All Three" outcome too.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Double posting because we have an announcement! The steam page doesn't seem to work just yet though.

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/799265857566363648

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoiks2rQa9o

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

That gave me nerd tingles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater