Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Oh my god its a real kickstarter!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Oh my god its a real kickstarter!?

That's just for new ABS plastic minis. They used to produce cast metal miniatures for the game line, but those are long out of print.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Moola posted:

BEEP BEEP!

Lookit this little guy! :3

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I have the pocket version of OGRE, hex and chit fun.

That version is super 90s, tho

Evor 3
Feb 19, 2010
OGRE Mk3 I think. SJGames has a kickstarter up right now that has a plastic version of that mini for use in the upcoming 6th edition of OGRE.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't know if it's worse that a probably terrible 1970s game with potato sculpts gets kickstarter funding or if those miniatures masquerading as board games but with decent sculpts get even more funding.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

OGRE is only a 70's game in the sense that the first edition came out in the 70's. It's one of Steve Jackson's pet projects so the rules are actually fairly solid.

Also, again, this is only a minis KS, the actual OGRE kickstarter made nearly a million dollars and financed the production of an enormous box of stuff for backers as well as convinced them to pull the trigger on production of 6th edition.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
The tank silhouette on the box looks pretty cool actually. Like a battleship

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kwyndig posted:

OGRE is only a 70's game in the sense that the first edition came out in the 70's. It's one of Steve Jackson's pet projects so the rules are actually fairly solid.

Also, again, this is only a minis KS, the actual OGRE kickstarter made nearly a million dollars and financed the production of an enormous box of stuff for backers as well as convinced them to pull the trigger on production of 6th edition.

So what you're telling me is that I got it backwards and OGRE may be a decent game with lovely minis vs. Dark Souls/Conan/etc. with amazing minis and a terrible game. Still wonder which one is worse...probably the minis, even though at KS prices they tend to be a steal.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Kwyndig posted:

I played the new version of OGRE but while it's a game I enjoy, I don't need a box that's like 4 feet wide full of poo poo to play. I think it really does work better as a magazine pack-in game or a one-off larger scale convention game than as a game you just come back to and invest a lot into.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Personally I think they went overboard on the Designer's Edition, but like most wargames you do need a good chunk of space to store and play it in, yeah.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
dangerous angry potatoes!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Chill la Chill posted:

So what you're telling me is that I got it backwards and OGRE may be a decent game with lovely minis vs. Dark Souls/Conan/etc. with amazing minis and a terrible game. Still wonder which one is worse...probably the minis, even though at KS prices they tend to be a steal.

Dark Souls is bad? :ohdear: but I backed it

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Len posted:

Dark Souls is bad? :ohdear: but I backed it
I saw it being played at Salute and it looked really cool, so I backed it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Conan is bad?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would compare dark souls to coop munchkin but with a board. It's pretty bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah I wanted to get dark souls for the minis because the models look pretty great, but man the rules did not appeal to me at all. The combat sounds awfully tedious.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Moola posted:

Conan is bad?

I've heard its 'alright'.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The shadows of brimstone Kickstarter has people talking about how kingdom death is going to probably syphon money from SoB and there's people actively defending the titty models.

Edit: apparently anyone who has trouble getting over the models is a closed minded prude and the game is serious and dark like Game of Thrones and also full of great mechanics.

Len fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 18, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Len posted:

The shadows of brimstone Kickstarter has people talking about how kingdom death is going to probably syphon money from SoB and there's people actively defending the titty models.

Are they related companies or something?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JcDent posted:

Are they related companies or something?

Nope but people in the comments are super grim about SoB making more money and are convinced when KD:M opens up the 24th lots of people are going to jump ship to tittymonsters the game.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Are the games similar at all? One is a weird west thing as far as I understand (Flying Frog can't make a website worth a drat), and KD is gothic horror anime wankfest that's super expensive.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JcDent posted:

Are the games similar at all? One is a weird west thing as far as I understand (Flying Frog can't make a website worth a drat), and KD is gothic horror anime wankfest that's super expensive.

Not at all. SoB is a more straight forward dungeon crawler. This Kickstarter is for a feudal Japan/lovecraftian horror. The comment section is just full of angry people preaching Doom. There were biotruths a few days ago about how the female alt models should have different stats

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lol, -4 Str?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JcDent posted:

Lol, -4 Str?

The guy didn't elaborate he just felt the need to say women are different from men so unless the stats change there's no reason to include alternate sculpts as stretch goals.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

While would not agree that women are identical to men, that guy is still full of poo poo. I guess those are alternate sculps for classes instead of named characters, yeah?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JcDent posted:

While would not agree that women are identical to men, that guy is still full of poo poo. I guess those are alternate sculps for classes instead of named characters, yeah?

Yeah in the original it was saloon girl/piano player, bandito/bandita, and then just male/female gunslinger/lawman. Not sure what the other core set had.

They're neat little add ins but the dude was super grumpy about them being mechanically the same

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, it's as logical as thinking that superexpensive butique fetish game will siphon weird west fans. Unless KD:M is some economy class release, that is.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JcDent posted:

Well, it's as logical as thinking that superexpensive butique fetish game will siphon weird west fans. Unless KD:M is some economy class release, that is.

Apparently it's going to be around $400 this time around

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Len posted:

Edit: apparently anyone who has trouble getting over the models is a closed minded prude and the game is serious and dark like Game of Thrones and also full of great mechanics.

Why is it so difficult for people to
a) just admit they're perverts
and
b) realize boner popping time and general board game time should not be combined

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
But imagine boner popping... With other people.

Multiple boners popping in unison.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Fathis Munk posted:

But imagine boner popping... With other people.

Multiple boners popping in unison.

There's absolutely a place for that and it's generally not our FLGS.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ah, yes, the $400 game is definitely a danger to games such as

JcDent
May 13, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

and
b) realize boner popping time and general board game time should not be combined

I would play KD at the hobby shop if someone non-creepy suggested it, but I would never splash 400 for a game; I'd rather spend it to recreate Fallujah in 6mm or buy, like, two Space Marine kits from Forgeworld.

Actually, I think a guy at our FLGS has bought the wetnurse. He's the oldest guy there, looks like a metalhead santa and claims to have bought it because he's a jaded old pervert.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JcDent posted:

I would play KD at the hobby shop if someone non-creepy suggested it, but I would never splash 400 for a game; I'd rather spend it to recreate Fallujah in 6mm or buy, like, two Space Marine kits from Forgeworld.

Actually, I think a guy at our FLGS has bought the wetnurse. He's the oldest guy there, looks like a metalhead santa and claims to have bought it because he's a jaded old pervert.

At least he's honest

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I mean, what else can you say to justify buying Titmountain the Mini?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

mango sentinel posted:

and

I never understood the nerd obsession with having tits in all of their media. Like, masturbation is fine and great. Turning masturbation into a hobby that intersects with other hobbies is not fine and great.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
From what I have seen and heard of KD there is a game with lots of interesting potential that has had tons of thought go into it along with a very well sculpted line of minis to build the world with.

Then it was attached to a crap load of really pervy stuff and sold as a huge box with an eye-watering price tag. It's a real shame that loads of people will probably never find out if it is actually good because they aren't sure if the pervy crap can be avoided or justify paying that much for something that may just be too drat creepy.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JcDent posted:

He's the oldest guy there, looks like a metalhead santa and claims to have bought it because he's a jaded old pervert.
I like him already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ugleb posted:

From what I have seen and heard of KD there is a game with lots of interesting potential that has had tons of thought go into it along with a very well sculpted line of minis to build the world with.

Then it was attached to a crap load of really pervy stuff and sold as a huge box with an eye-watering price tag. It's a real shame that loads of people will probably never find out if it is actually good because they aren't sure if the pervy crap can be avoided or justify paying that much for something that may just be too drat creepy.

The craziest part is it's supposed to be a campaign have have divided into discrete acts and they don't even bother with any kind of starter version where you can then buy your way through the game.