Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem like Titanfall 2 is making the large triple A waves they were hoping for. This isn't just the publisher not being happy about sales like Sega was with Alien: Isolation stating it didn't "meet expectations" but sold incredibly well, this from the developer who's game doesn't have the highest player numbers according to the in-game menus.

It's loving sad if this didn't sell well and Titanfall might be hosed.

I think titanfall is fine, at least if respawn wants to make more. For better or worse, EA sees it as a weapon against COD, they'll keep it around as long as they think that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Night Blade posted:

PSA time : don't download the latest nvidia drivers. They gently caress over Titanfall 2 performance big time.

Jitters, lag and in one instance the game for 10 seconds played exclusively in a tiny corner of my screen.

Its affecting the 1000 series cards, 900 series seem to be unaffected.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I wonder if this is going to go on sale in this Winter Wonderland

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

IronDoge posted:

Off topic, what is it with Nvidia lately? They keep putting out botched drivers. Seems to happen every few years.

I dunno about performance on the 900 series though, Battlefield 1 and Dishonored 2 seem to be running a bit worse. Playable, but not anywhere near as smooth as before (BF1 in particular). Can't roll back though, BF1 won't even let you run it without the latest drivers. Like...what? :eyeroll:

In Titanfall news, I think I've hit my limit with the guns I can be good with. I was cycling through them, getting each up to the duo-mod level (11?). The r-97 is the most useless SMG ever, I seem to miss most shots with the G2, I've never been good with snipers and I can't get the hang of the Mastiff. So it looks like its just grinding the guns I'm good with. :sigh:

How does the regen exp multiplyer work this time around with the merit system? Does the multiplyer apply to merits earned post-match? Also, is it the same as before? 1.1, 1.2 and so on to 2x?

I'm getting close to regen, but I really want to unlock the flatline with credits, I liked it in single player, and I think I'll like it in multiplayer.

EDIT: I also really miss the mods from Titanfall 1 that seemed to totally change a weapon. The only thing this time around seems to be the charge rifle.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
Any main network that goons are playing on with mics?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

PantsBandit posted:

I think titanfall is fine, at least if respawn wants to make more. For better or worse, EA sees it as a weapon against COD, they'll keep it around as long as they think that's the case.

I saw a headline somewhere that COD sales were down 40% this year, which I'm hoping means Overwatch and TF2 cut into that. Everyone I've convinced to buy the game has been boomin on it, so once it goes on sale on PSN, I'm sure it'll build community and hype for 3.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Snuffman posted:

In Titanfall news, I think I've hit my limit with the guns I can be good with. I was cycling through them, getting each up to the duo-mod level (11?). The r-97 is the most useless SMG ever, I seem to miss most shots with the G2, I've never been good with snipers and I can't get the hang of the Mastiff. So it looks like its just grinding the guns I'm good with. :sigh:

How does the regen exp multiplyer work this time around with the merit system? Does the multiplyer apply to merits earned post-match? Also, is it the same as before? 1.1, 1.2 and so on to 2x?

I'm getting close to regen, but I really want to unlock the flatline with credits, I liked it in single player, and I think I'll like it in multiplayer.

I don't mind the R-97, but it's definitely not a well rounded weapon. The fire rate and mag size make it usable at close range. At mid range you gotta get lucky. At long range you get smoked.

I'm gen 4 now I believe. Haven't noticed any xp multiplier. Just seems to be looping back through unlocks by earning merits, same as before for each time I've done it. You get new camo unlocks and banners as well. At this point I'm floating over 900 credits, and have unlocked most of the poo poo I care about (maybe... 10 things?). Regen doesn't seem like any kind of real hindrance to using the equipment you like unless maybe you're wanting to use several really diverse loadouts. I think the most expensive thing is 300, and that's executions. Anti-Titan weapons are super cheap at 50. Guns are 100. Boosts are 125? Low profile is 225 I think. Titans aren't expensive either as I recall, but don't exactly remember. Just don't squander your credits on poo poo you don't actually like and want to use and you'll be able to hit the ground running after a regen.

Also, nothing wrong with some of the default gear either. CAR is good, R-201 is pretty good. Anti-titan stuff is good. Don't feel like you absolutely must unlock poo poo to compete.

And yes, 1.1 through 1.50, 2.1 through 2.50, etc.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
That interview bums me out, he knows his game is critically a success but the launch window really bit him in the bum. :(

We should send him a card.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

^burtle posted:

I saw a headline somewhere that COD sales were down 40% this year, which I'm hoping means Overwatch and TF2 cut into that. Everyone I've convinced to buy the game has been boomin on it, so once it goes on sale on PSN, I'm sure it'll build community and hype for 3.

I'm sure Activision will blame it on the fact that CoD is set in Spaaaaaaaaace!, and they will push out a Call of Duty:1918 edition next year

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem like Titanfall 2 is making the large triple A waves they were hoping for. This isn't just the publisher not being happy about sales like Sega was with Alien: Isolation stating it didn't "meet expectations" but sold incredibly well, this from the developer who's game doesn't have the highest player numbers according to the in-game menus.

It's loving sad if this didn't sell well and Titanfall might be hosed.

Giantbomb talked about how Titanfall 2 was positioned to take attention off of COD and that the sales and the lack of DLC is to push it as a cheaper (and better) alternative. They also said that TF2 wasn't going to have DLC at all to help build a player base on more systems in preparation for Titanfall 3. I think it's a loss leader that will get people like me, who didn't play the original Titanfall due to the console it was on but did play a lot of COD:BLOPS3, to get the cheaper game with giant robots over the expensive game without.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Giantbomb talked about how Titanfall 2 was positioned to take attention off of COD and that the sales and the lack of DLC is to push it as a cheaper (and better) alternative. They also said that TF2 wasn't going to have DLC at all to help build a player base on more systems in preparation for Titanfall 3. I think it's a loss leader that will get people like me, who didn't play the original Titanfall due to the console it was on but did play a lot of COD:BLOPS3, to get the cheaper game with giant robots over the expensive game without.

It does have DLC, in fact its going to have quite a bit, the catch is, its all free, so as not to fragment the player base.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Someone on a podcast floated the idea of them doing a sort of soft relaunch with some sort of goty edition in the spring or something with like some cosmetic boosts or exp codes or something after they start pushing out the dlc. Two weeks after release and only having a few thousand people online makes me hope that something happens to inject life back into the game. I'm already queueing attrition if I want to get a game quicker.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Meh. I have fun with it and have zero trouble finding matches so I don't really care about numbers

This

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Knifegrab posted:

It does have DLC, in fact its going to have quite a bit, the catch is, its all free, so as not to fragment the player base.

An important distinction, thanks for the correction.

Can someone explain exp/merits? What is being measured at the end of a match? I really wish that I could get more information on what qualifies as a Good Performance, or why two of three blocks behind a gun are filled in. Is it kills per weapon? I only played enough to get to level 3 last night, so maybe with more experimentation it'll be clearer, but why wait when I can ask?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
So this happened last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYgv7YodjU4

Ronin can own when you go balls out with him.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

An important distinction, thanks for the correction.

Can someone explain exp/merits? What is being measured at the end of a match? I really wish that I could get more information on what qualifies as a Good Performance, or why two of three blocks behind a gun are filled in. Is it kills per weapon? I only played enough to get to level 3 last night, so maybe with more experimentation it'll be clearer, but why wait when I can ask?

The Good Performance one is different per mode, push start at any time and it will list all the merit-giving objectives! Handy to check if you're jumping between modes. The XP system is basically a stripped back version of ones in similar FPS games, but here 1 merit = 1 XP. You get one merit for playing a game, one for winning or successfully escaping, and one extra for the bonus performance. Then you get one merit every time you level up a weapon or Titan, which they'll show you on the after match summary screen (it's all those pips filling up and making dramatic explosion sounds)

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

TF2 doesn't beat you to death with KD/R, so merits are just there to help you level up in "alternative" fashion.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

AirRaid posted:

So this happened last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYgv7YodjU4

Ronin can own when you go balls out with him.

:fap:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

^burtle posted:

TF2 doesn't beat you to death with KD/R, so merits are just there to help you level up in "alternative" fashion.

How will my team know I'm helping by going 6 kills : 2 deaths sitting the back sniping for an amazing 3 KDR then? HOW??? This game is garbage!!!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

IDK what to tell you, doing the same thing I'm hovering between 40-50% CPU usage on all cores. Is your RAM really slow? Something running in the background?

You turned off the CPU-heavy video options like shadows and AO, right?

8 gigs DDR3-1333 (RIP other pair of 8), no other "applications" running and tried to overzealously kill a bunch of stuff off in task manager, turned every option in audio and video to off/lowest. Payin some more attention it doesn't sit at 100% the entire time, don't know what has to be happening to trigger it but seems looking out across with a good view of a map does it - thanks for the graph, mine prolly looks like that just shifted up so 45% is average and 100% is peak. On a good note, found out I can probably go up to 4.6 maybe 4.7ghz on my CPU to make me feel better about holdin off for the new chips.

Now I gotta make myself take off the troubleshooting hat and just play the drat game!

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Prokhor posted:

Did someone record that double ion laser last night? I'd love to see that clip!

Ask and ye shall receive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=032uICFTmQ8

i love this game :allears:

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Antoine Silvere posted:

Ask and ye shall receive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=032uICFTmQ8

i love this game :allears:

Total protonic reversal...

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

IronDoge posted:

I have a 970 and my performance went to poo poo as soon as I updated my drivers.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I have a 970 and it didn't. :shrug:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No problems on PS4 :D

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

In Training posted:

The Good Performance one is different per mode, push start at any time and it will list all the merit-giving objectives! Handy to check if you're jumping between modes. The XP system is basically a stripped back version of ones in similar FPS games, but here 1 merit = 1 XP. You get one merit for playing a game, one for winning or successfully escaping, and one extra for the bonus performance. Then you get one merit every time you level up a weapon or Titan, which they'll show you on the after match summary screen (it's all those pips filling up and making dramatic explosion sounds)

I'm tempted to start playing "other" weapons just to get the cheap merits, Is there a sweet-spot level to work towards? e.g. "Get a lovely gun to level 10 then move on to another one".

I'm still just level 16 so most of the guns everyone raves about are still locked for me.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I love shooting Thunderbolts at titans and running up and rodeoing them.
That's what I look forward to most in any match - the enemy getting their titans so I can go gently caress with them :getin:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Eldragon posted:

I'm tempted to start playing "other" weapons just to get the cheap merits, Is there a sweet-spot level to work towards? e.g. "Get a lovely gun to level 10 then move on to another one".

I'm still just level 16 so most of the guns everyone raves about are still locked for me.

Level 11 means you've unlocked all the mods and scopes for a gun, everything past that is skins and banners until regen (20?), but as I understand it gun and titan regen doesn't re-lock anything, it just resets the counter.

Anti titan weapons, its level 6 or 7?

Never looked at pilot sidearms, not sure what the point is. Actually, can anyone enlighten me as to why I would use a sidearm in place of a anti-titan weapon? Are the grenade launchers in the primary category any good against Titans? I've seen people occasionally using the Mozambique, but I never see any other sidearms.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, Grenadier weapons are decent against Titans, although some people might just want to forego robot-hunting in favour of a backup gun to use on people. Especially filthy, rotten snipers.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Snuffman posted:

Level 11 means you've unlocked all the mods and scopes for a gun, everything past that is skins and banners until regen (20?), but as I understand it gun and titan regen doesn't re-lock anything, it just resets the counter.

Only pilot regen has any effect, and that is only to lock things out again. When you unlock something again (titans, guns), it's still at its previous level, with all attachments, etc available that you'd earned. Guns and titans just loop to a new gen, with all unlocks remaining unlocked. New camo options unlock at higher gens.

Snuffman posted:

Never looked at pilot sidearms, not sure what the point is. Actually, can anyone enlighten me as to why I would use a sidearm in place of a anti-titan weapon? Are the grenade launchers in the primary category any good against Titans? I've seen people occasionally using the Mozambique, but I never see any other sidearms.

If you're using a grenadier primary, an anti-titan secondary is kind of optional. When I use the SMR for instance, I use the full auto pistol (the first one), since the SMR works pretty well against Titans. It has occasionally been useful to have.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Sidearms are the only weapons with silencers, so you can use them to hunt AI while staying off the minimap.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Eldragon posted:

You want to get every weapon to at least level 4 or 5 because every level before that it takes less kills to level. You can see actually see by going to the menu where you select which weapon you want on a class and there should be some pips under each gun that show you how much more kills/assists you need to level up a gun. So for example take a gander at this screenshot:

Notice how both the EPG and Cold War are at level 1, and only have 3 pips under them, meaning I only need to get 3 kills or assists to level them up and get a merit. On the other hand, the SMR and Softball both have 10 pips with 2 filled in, 10 being the default amount for most primary weapons once you get to level 4 or 5 (the exception being sniper rifles, which use the secondary weapon curve and thus only require 5 kills to level once you get them up).

Mordja posted:

Yeah, Grenadier weapons are decent against Titans, although some people might just want to forego robot-hunting in favour of a backup gun to use on people. Especially filthy, rotten snipers.
Titan melee does 500 damage and the Kraber does 430 damage to titan weakspots so I totally don't need a dedicated anti-titan weapon ignore the fact that I consistently miss the weakspots and you have to hit them to actually deal damage

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

runchild posted:

Sidearms are the only weapons with silencers, so you can use them to hunt AI while staying off the minimap.

I wish the MGL had a silencer

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Snuffman posted:

There aren't any titans for the first few minutes of each game, so running an anti-titan weapon out of the gate is pretty pointless.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

The Huge Manatee posted:

There aren't any titans for the first few minutes of each game, so running an anti-titan weapon out of the gate is pretty pointless.

Grenade launder is fun for softening up groups of AI bots at least?

Insert name here posted:

You want to get every weapon to at least level 4 or 5 because every level before that it takes less kills to level. You can see actually see by going to the menu where you select which weapon you want on a class and there should be some pips under each gun that show you how much more kills/assists you need to level up a gun. So for example take a gander at this screenshot:

Notice how both the EPG and Cold War are at level 1, and only have 3 pips under them, meaning I only need to get 3 kills or assists to level them up and get a merit. On the other hand, the SMR and Softball both have 10 pips with 2 filled in, 10 being the default amount for most primary weapons once you get to level 4 or 5 (the exception being sniper rifles, which use the secondary weapon curve and thus only require 5 kills to level once you get them up).

Titan melee does 500 damage and the Kraber does 430 damage to titan weakspots so I totally don't need a dedicated anti-titan weapon ignore the fact that I consistently miss the weakspots and you have to hit them to actually deal damage

Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I've been running the 201 and Grenade Launcher exclusively and it's clearly slowing down my leveling because it takes a lot more kills to level those.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

The Huge Manatee posted:

Truth. And they give you so many slots it's pretty easy to have two identical builds that just sub secondaries.

... That's pretty min/max though so maybe doesn't matter.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Maybe I should have checked this thread before I just bought this game today, please tell me this game didn't crash faster than Battleborn. :ohdear:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

explosivo posted:

Maybe I should have checked this thread before I just bought this game today, please tell me this game didn't crash faster than Battleborn. :ohdear:

No it didn't. Enjoy the game.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Seriously. Enjoy the game, have yet to come across any difficulty finding a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Night Blade posted:

No it didn't. Enjoy the game.

Hooray! :toot:

Edit: I only asked because I'm at work and haven't booted it up yet. Glad to hear I don't have to worry about it.