Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Homestar Runner posted:

ty.

also there is fun to be had in both pushing super heavy things AND gettin your pump on with reps. do whatever / both IMO

That's why I like PHUL so much, I have my low rep days and my hypertrophy range days.

Today was hypertrophy legs so I'm crawling home. But I'm going to have some whey mixed with some oats for breakfast and it's going to be awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
That looks interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about 4 days a week, I usually do 3 but I might try this out when I get bored of 5x5. How long does an average workout take you?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

That looks interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about 4 days a week, I usually do 3 but I might try this out when I get bored of 5x5. How long does an average workout take you?

Including rest time on the compound lifts, which at this stage is about three minutes between sets on the power days, each workout takes about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes. You could probably speed it up if you wanted to by cutting out some of the accessory work, or by alternating push-pull sets with shorter rest times in between. Overall I'm really enjoying it though, and it's helped me to break through a few plateaus.

Eventually, I'm going to give in and start a 6-day Push, Pull, Legs programme. The gym is becoming my life.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I was working out next to a slammin korean babe who was doing all these wacky stretches beside me so I had to hold in a massive fart while doing facepulls. I finished my set and then walked outside and set off a car alarm. Also it ain't your life until you are on that 6 day a week stuff.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Time for leg day I guess

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
i dont even remember my leg work out last night i was so tired

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of cardio, after a year of lap swimming I finally figured out why I was working so hard and still only had 40 minute miles... I haven't been applying power to 100% of my stroke. I was easing up at about waist level, not applying any power to the last 20% of the movement down to my hips. As soon as I figured that out, my lap time is down to 50 seconds, from 70, with the same effort. drat, I'm an idiot.

But in my defense I was never actually taught how to swim, I've just been doing it wrong my whole life. Thanks, youtube videos breaking down the strokes of olympic swimmers

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I felt crappy yesterday, so I didn't go to the gym. But today, I'm going to the gym.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

GORDON posted:

Speaking of cardio, after a year of lap swimming I finally figured out why I was working so hard and still only had 40 minute miles... I haven't been applying power to 100% of my stroke. I was easing up at about waist level, not applying any power to the last 20% of the movement down to my hips. As soon as I figured that out, my lap time is down to 50 seconds, from 70, with the same effort. drat, I'm an idiot.

But in my defense I was never actually taught how to swim, I've just been doing it wrong my whole life. Thanks, youtube videos breaking down the strokes of olympic swimmers

Dont stop at your hips... use your legs too when you swim they help a lot

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Fallows posted:

i dont even remember my leg work out last night i was so tired

yea i barely remember going to the gym last night its weird

i ate breakfast for dinner last night which i DO remember :)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If your memory is fading and your mind is playing tricks on you, be sure to increase salami intake

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fallows posted:

Dont stop at your hips... use your legs too when you swim they help a lot

I lost my legs in 'Nam thanks for triggering me.

But actually yeah I do kick... did you know that triathalon swimmers usually don't kick? I didn't know that until recently.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

If your memory is fading and your mind is playing tricks on you, be sure to increase salami intake

i just picked up a 2-pack of sliced salami from costco :downsa:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Homestar Runner posted:

there is fun to be had in both pushing super heavy things AND gettin your pump on with reps. do whatever / both IMO
That's a big thing. Just have fun, but don't :rip: your tendons.

GORDON posted:

Same with never being taught to swim formally (outside of the things they teach you as a kid so you don't drown). I still can't do laps freestyle, can't seem to get enough breath that way, always gas out after two laps. Backstroke all day.
(Did that this morning. Good stuff, and the warm, humid pool air was good on my sore throat)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

Salami is RED MEAT and VERY SALTY stay away from it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FedEx Mercury posted:

:sad:

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

FedEx Mercury posted:

Ok I guess I will just do pepperoni from now on then

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

FedEx Mercury posted:

you sound pretty salty

ABOUT YOUR LACK OF GAINS

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Update: shoulder still hurts really really bad to lift.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Tiny Lowtax posted:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Update: living out of my work truck for the next week in Fox Creek, Alberta. I could probably work out but I'll be living on Swanson Hungrymans and water 50km into the bush. So gently caress workouts.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tiny Lowtax posted:

8 weeks no lifting

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Well that's one way to bulk. Today I ran four miles then did some core work. Sucks not lifting.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Well that's one way to bulk. Today I ran four miles then did some core work. Sucks not lifting.

If you go to the truck stop and question the age of the chicken strips or whatever, they will offer up a sweet discount.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I know the feeling, I had to stop lifting for about six weeks at the start of the year and you don't realise how important an aspect of your life it's become until you're not able to do it. I hope that you get better soon. :(

Meanwhile, seven weeks into bulk and convinced I'm just getting fat. :smith:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey persmegma do people ever modify that PHUL? I don't really want all that leg volume, at least right now. My legs already blew up way past everything else on just 3x5 squats and 1x5 deadlifts when I did SS. In fact I still haven't worked over 150 lbs since dealing with my knee problem this second go around, and they are still bigger and more defined then my upper body. I'm thinking Squats 3x5 deadlift 1x5 on the Strength Leg day and maybe Front Squat 3x8 and romanian deadlift 3x8 on the leg hyper day. I can add ab poo poo to fill out my time on those days.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey persmegma do people ever modify that PHUL? I don't really want all that leg volume, at least right now. My legs already blew up way past everything else on just 3x5 squats and 1x5 deadlifts when I did SS. In fact I still haven't worked over 150 lbs since dealing with my knee problem this second go around, and they are still bigger and more defined then my upper body. I'm thinking Squats 3x5 deadlift 1x5 on the Strength Leg day and maybe Front Squat 3x8 and romanian deadlift 3x8 on the leg hyper day. I can add ab poo poo to fill out my time on those days.

Yeah that all sounds fine to me, PHUL is really just a template when it comes to the accessory work. If you don't want to do the hypertrophy work on legs day, you could always turn it into a three day programme, with power and hypertrophy days for upper body and strength maintenance for lower.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think I'll keep it 4 days, I think upping frequency to hit my upperbody muscle groups 2 times a week as opposed to the 1.5 on SL might do me good. Unless you mean I could keep doing legs 3 days, but I've been wanting to work front squats and romanians in, so I may try it like I mentioned. Also thinking increasing weight only once a week would be more doable for me as well.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I think I'll keep it 4 days, I think upping frequency to hit my upperbody muscle groups 2 times a week as opposed to the 1.5 on SL might do me good. Unless you mean I could keep doing legs 3 days, but I've been wanting to work front squats and romanians in, so I may try it like I mentioned. Also thinking increasing weight only once a week would be more doable for me as well.

I think it would be best to keep upper and lower on separate days to be honest, as otherwise the upper body volume will either leave you too tired for a good leg workout, or alternatively if you do legs first, it might impact the upper body lifts. But why not give it a shot, and see if it works for you? :)

Edit: but I'd only do legs on two of those workouts, given your knee problems you don't want to irritate by increasing volume too much. There's a piece here on volume. The aworkoutroutine site is really good for a lot of this stuff, you should look through his writing on volume, he writes a little on joint stress too.

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 18, 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've been doing some research (I asked Google) and it seems dumbbell bench presses are slightly better than barbell bench presses. It feels better when I do dumbells, and I can lift more too. Maybe time to ditch the barbell?

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
bb bench is for fat powerlifters and isn't worth dying for imo *wrist shatters into a million pieces*

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Alan_Shore posted:

I've been doing some research (I asked Google) and it seems dumbbell bench presses are slightly better than barbell bench presses. It feels better when I do dumbells, and I can lift more too. Maybe time to ditch the barbell?

The benefit to me of the barbell is being able to rack it and get into a good position, which will eventually become too difficult to do on your own if you're using dumbbells.

I mean, I'm starting to struggle a little bit with getting into position for dumbbell inclines at this point, and I'm only using 30kg in each hand.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
closegrip bench for freaking lyfe

also regular bench is fine u turds

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Pesmerga posted:

The benefit to me of the barbell is being able to rack it and get into a good position, which will eventually become too difficult to do on your own if you're using dumbbells.

I mean, I'm starting to struggle a little bit with getting into position for dumbbell inclines at this point, and I'm only using 30kg in each hand.

I know what you mean, I have to really heft them up then slowly lower myself on the bench. It'll get easier though! MORE WEIGHT!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

I think it would be best to keep upper and lower on separate days to be honest, as otherwise the upper body volume will either leave you too tired for a good leg workout, or alternatively if you do legs first, it might impact the upper body lifts. But why not give it a shot, and see if it works for you? :)

Edit: but I'd only do legs on two of those workouts, given your knee problems you don't want to irritate by increasing volume too much. There's a piece here on volume. The aworkoutroutine site is really good for a lot of this stuff, you should look through his writing on volume, he writes a little on joint stress too.

Maybe you misunderstood, the way I wanted to do it keeps it that way. The only thing I'd consider on leg day is abs afterward, maybe curls. Also I feel pretty confident my knee issue is only from the tendons/muscles/whatever being tight from standing and walking all day. If I slowly warm up into squatting it's usually fine, at least here lately.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Maybe you misunderstood, the way I wanted to do it keeps it that way. The only thing I'd consider on leg day is abs afterward, maybe curls. Also I feel pretty confident my knee issue is only from the tendons/muscles/whatever being tight from standing and walking all day. If I slowly warm up into squatting it's usually fine, at least here lately.

Ah yeah, sorry, i did, I thought you were saying doing legs as part of each workout. Nah, I think what you're suggesting is good, I hope it works for you! :)

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It is probably from squatting incorrectly. Have you considered tracking your knees outside more? Also have you considered lifting more? Also have you considered sticking a needle in your butt?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

closegrip bench for freaking lyfe

also regular bench is fine u turds

I had to rescue a dude last week who was doing close grip bench without a spotter. Probably saved his life. If that was you, you're welcome.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Good thing over thinking isn't prohibited in this thread!

Also spicy Italian sausage gains (everything about it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Chest stuff today at the gym guys.

I added a new blister / future callus on top of the 8 I already have. I've been hitting a couple hundred balls at the driving range every few days. My hand will be indestructible and hardened like a siberian babushka