Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Work gave me a Lenovo T460s and I'm using it to 'work from home' while I sit in a bar drinking a modelo and watching cat gifs is this acceptable "pro" laptop use y/n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ether Frenzy posted:

drinking a modelo[...]is this acceptable "pro" laptop use y/n

Now you've done it

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

....Wonder if my truck will make it to Tucson and back.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

....Wonder if my truck will make it to Tucson and back.
After 14's Heep to Nebraska I don't think any of us have any excuses.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

funny Star Wars parody posted:

The SSDs have always been soldered onto the mobo and if you take it to the Apple Store they're very easy for the geniuses to fix and also very cheap

Your attempts to defend Apple on this one are perplexing. And just wrong. I'm sorry but soldering parts that have a signifigant failure rate to the board is goddamn retarded in the worst way. I expect a laptop to become a boat anchor when the CPU fails and that should be beyond the lifetime of the SSD by some margin.

And even if I dont buy Apple poo poo, we still have to support this loving garbage. FFS, just admit Apple are being stupid for once.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And even if I dont buy Apple poo poo, we still have to support this loving garbage. FFS, just admit Apple are being stupid for once.

It's all in the name of thinness. On his deathbed Steve told Tim Cook to step closer...closer...closer and then whispered just barely loud enough to hear:

"Keep making them thinner or I will haunt your rear end until the end of time"

So now, they're ALWAYS THINNER! EACH ONE IS THINNER! LOOK HOW THIN THEY ARE!"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Your attempts to defend Apple on this one are perplexing.

He used to sell their products, probably still getting over the brainwashing.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Why get bent out of shape

Also, will the bad decisions truck be present at that Roadkill Meet? Can it? Please?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Your attempts to defend Apple on this one are perplexing. And just wrong. I'm sorry but soldering parts that have a signifigant failure rate to the board is goddamn retarded in the worst way. I expect a laptop to become a boat anchor when the CPU fails and that should be beyond the lifetime of the SSD by some margin.

While I agree that soldering everything to everything is not the best methodology, I will say that I have had very few Macs poo poo their silicon devices. Hard drives fail like anything else, and a few power supplies, but on the whole, Apple devices are pretty damned robust.
I have two PowerBook G4s, circa 2004, that I just recovered out of a cabinet. Both of them are stiff functioning perfectly. For that matter, I have a Macintosh Classic, one of the little 9" screen original-style Macs, that's also still trucking along. I've got it operating on my desk for WTF-factor.

beep-beep car is go posted:

It's all in the name of thinness. On his deathbed Steve told Tim Cook to step closer...closer...closer and then whispered just barely loud enough to hear:

"Keep making them thinner or I will haunt your rear end until the end of time"

So now, they're ALWAYS THINNER! EACH ONE IS THINNER! LOOK HOW THIN THEY ARE!"

At some point, you will need food-service safety gloves to prevent the cuts from the razor-thin edge of the MacBook.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

Work gave me a Lenovo T460s and I'm using it to 'work from home' while I sit in a bar drinking a modelo and watching cat gifs is this acceptable "pro" laptop use y/n

I think that's one of the pro'est thing you can do. The only way to get pro'er would be to have a scotch.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If anybody needs some background noise, the mecum anaheim auction is on.

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/anaheim-2016/live/

There's some neat poo poo right off the bat(after they get past the signs and poo poo)

Custom 64 mini cooper roadster.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/AN1116-260258/1964-austin-mini-cooper/

Qvale Mangusta
https://www.mecum.com/lots/AN1116-274324/2001-qvale-mangusta-convertible/

Big brown empty wallet
https://www.mecum.com/lots/AN1116-260265/1982-maserati-quattroporte/

edit: holy balls If anybody ever wanted to be the coolest guy on the planet in 1991, here's your starter set

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AN1116-260278/1986-toyota-pickup/
https://www.mecum.com/lots/AN1116-260283/1991-toyota-mr2/

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 17, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

For that matter, I have a Macintosh Classic, one of the little 9" screen original-style Macs, that's also still trucking along. I've got it operating on my desk for WTF-factor.
You should probably take a look at repairing the power-supply and analogue-board capacitors if you haven't already.

Past the 20 year mark they usually need it, especially if they haven't been used much.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Powershift posted:

If anybody needs some background noise, the mecum anaheim auction is on.

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/anaheim-2016/live/

I see you and raise you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onE0AXSFrgw

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress! i know it's :filez: but what.cd was finally shut down today :argh:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

gently caress! i know it's :filez: but what.cd was finally shut down today :argh:

Man I just saw that, I was trying to get some music for the funeral :saddowns:

Anyone know what the backstory is?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
No one really questions the "mandatory" TI graphing calculators in high school until they aren't allowed in college exam rooms, and a frightening amount of universities have macbooks as mandatory tools for students. They're just one step closer to becoming the TI-83, the progress halting monopoly that they were always supposed to be

I finally tracked down a Fiat X1/9 with little to no structural rust AND fuel injection, and was a few hundred short to buy it in cash. I have had my car on the market for a month or so at an optimistic price, so dropped it down to sell immediately and the day I was supposed to finalize the sale, the guy selling the Fiat flew to Georgia until December.
I felt like an rear end in a top hat telling the prospective buyer that I still needed the car until Thanksgiving, but oh well... I guess the dream of replacing the suspension on my roadster before the season's first hard frost dies Saturday

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

I finally tracked down a Fiat X1/9 with little to no structural rust
Well, that's just a blatant lie.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's in a climate-controlled glass case in Turin.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

InitialDave posted:

Well, that's just a blatant lie.

I said structural rust. There's a lot of rust, but as far as I could tell, nothing structurally important was too rusted. It had supposedly been mothballed since the 90's and the guy got it in running shape again just to sell

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Man I just saw that, I was trying to get some music for the funeral :saddowns:

Anyone know what the backstory is?

https://torrentfreak.com/what-cd-shuts-down-following-reported-raids-in-france-161117/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there an AI community in San Diego? :P

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man, Solidworks is such a great and cool program! It does this funny trick where when you hit save, it throws up a bunch of rebuild errors that were previously fine; and then, after you spend an error troubleshooting and getting rid of the errors, and finally go to save all your precious work, that's when it crashes!

It's so entertaining!

E: I lost three hours of work earlier today! Hooray!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hey, it's only $4000, what do you expect?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CharlesM posted:

Is there an AI community in San Diego? :P

Well, I live kinda nearby.

What up

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Powershift posted:

Hey, it's only $4000, what do you expect?

I mean i'm lucky enough to get it for free with a school department license, but still.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

iwentdoodie posted:

Well, I live kinda nearby.

What up

Thoughts about the future and taking care of a friend.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Enourmo posted:

I mean i'm lucky enough to get it for free with a school department license, but still.

Just wait till you get to use Catina

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CharlesM posted:

Thoughts about the future and taking care of a friend.

I live like 45m out and visit fairly often because I live in suburban hell.

You been here before?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

iwentdoodie posted:

I live like 45m out and visit fairly often because I live in suburban hell.

You been here before?

Yeah. Mostly just to visit friends.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Honestly, this poo poo keeps up and I'm legitimately gonna have to upgrade my desktop. Could really use the real estate of a second screen to be able to have references up, too.

God, all this poo poo i could do if i had any money.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Honestly, this poo poo keeps up and I'm legitimately gonna have to upgrade my desktop. Could really use the real estate of a second screen to be able to have references up, too.

God, all this poo poo i could do if i had any money.

lol if you're not knee-deep in discarded 20"+ LCD screens at work. I'm not even in IT and I still shrug daily when I walk by the ecylcing bin and see another batch of perfectly good monitors. One of the pros of working at a stupid place rife with aging graphic design/communication majors who think their helpless senile hashtagging will work better on Retina displays

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CharlesM posted:

Yeah. Mostly just to visit friends.

It's just loving expensive here. But the car scene is huge, tracks in driving distance, canyons are amazing.

I've got another ten months here and will be destroying my truck at the dirt track at some point during that time...so let me know when you come out :v:

Also nonesuch: gently caress dude grab me a couple, then.

Edit: also, removed and retightened the IAT, replaced a suspect vacuum line and cleaned the breather filter. 120 miles and no CEL so far. Yayyyy.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 18, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah I'll take a 144hz of any size please and thanks

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Super cheap, rust free NA Miata is up for sale locally.

I don't need it, I don't need it...

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 206 days!)

Rhyno posted:

Super cheap, rust free NA Miata is up for sale locally.

I don't need it, I don't need it...

When in the hell did your mantra change!?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

West SAAB Story posted:

When in the hell did your mantra change!?

Oh I know I fuckin need it. I'm just trying to convince myself otherwise.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The dishwasher that our builder installed (average GE stainless unit) that stopped drying. I checked to see that the heating element wasn't getting hot so I figured easy enough to replace and my new one arrived today. Took about thirty minutes but it's still not working. I'm getting a case of the effits and will find myself a Bosch dishwasher next week for Black Friday.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

Oh I know I fuckin need it. I'm just trying to convince myself otherwise.

G'awwwwn! G'awwn, g'awwn, g'awwn!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The dishwasher that our builder installed (average GE stainless unit) that stopped drying. I checked to see that the heating element wasn't getting hot so I figured easy enough to replace and my new one arrived today. Took about thirty minutes but it's still not working. I'm getting a case of the effits and will find myself a Bosch dishwasher next week for Black Friday.

For what it's worth, this is how they come from the factory. They hum for like 12 hours and you get damp dishes no matter the setting.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

West SAAB Story posted:

G'awwwwn! G'awwn, g'awwn, g'awwn!

For what it's worth, this is how they come from the factory. They hum for like 12 hours and you get damp dishes no matter the setting.

Failed to mention it's been working fine just over three years. It's not too fancy but it was a mid grade unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Failed to mention it's been working fine just over three years. It's not too fancy but it was a mid grade unit.

Look for schematics for your model. Then, look for thermostats (at least where I'd start).

• Locked thread