Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I take it the OP is not up to date?

edit:

Where are these from?

Say Nothing posted:

Evil Fantastic Four apparently killed some Marvel heroes as well. Captain America's shield was among their weapons, also possibly the infinity gauntlet and maybe Thor's hammer?

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

She's just asking the wrong doctor.

Nemesis would science the *gently caress* out of that door.

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

edit:

Where are these from?

The first one is from Planetary, which is an excellent series by Warren Ellis and John Cassaday. The villains were an evil, twisted version of the Fantastic Four. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The first one is from Planetary, which is an excellent series by Warren Ellis and John Cassaday. The villains were an evil, twisted version of the Fantastic Four. I can't recommend it highly enough!

oooh what volume I want way more context

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

oooh what volume I want way more context

The whole series is only 27 issues (that took a full decade to come out), plus three crossovers: Planetary/Batman (required reading, IMO), Planetary/Authority, and Planetary/JLA (the latter two aren't fantastic, and different artists drew those). Cassaday drew the entire main series plus Planetary/Batman, and Ellis wrote everything. I consider it his best work, and many agree.

It's about three "archaeologists of the unknown" who investigate strange occurrences around the world, funded by the Planetary Foundation. On a metafictional level, most of the early stories are related somehow to the history of comic books and/or popular genre fiction (fantasy, sci-fi, horror). They seem like stand-alone stories until common threads start appearing, tying them together. That's where "The Four" comes in, but I dare not spoil too much. The scene where our heroes found the dead world where The Four stored their weapons is from #14, but it wouldn't make much sense out of context.

All I can say is that if you're the least bit interested, you'll almost certainly love it. You can get the whole series in one thick Omnibus edition or four trade paperbacks. And if your public library offers the Hoopla service for borrowing e-books, movies, and music for free, the four Planetary volumes should be included as books you can check out. They're very short, quick reads, but awesome.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 1, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Herr Tog posted:

edit:

Where are these from?

I believe the second is from X-Men: X-Club.
http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=251132

Read Planetary!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thank you both so much

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
i'm pretty sure the second is from Cable and x-force

it's medium good

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

trashbuilder posted:

i'm pretty sure the second is from Cable and x-force

it's medium good
It's from X-Club #3.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Cross-post from the eBooks thread:

:siren:GOOD NEWS FOR FANS OF DOCTOR STRANGE, SORCERER SUPREME! SALE FOR KINDLE AND COMIXOLOGY!:siren:

Doctor Strange Vol. 1: The Way of the Weird by Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo is $2.99 (Kindle & Comixology)

It is everything that a Doctor Strange comic should be: great art design & colors, tight writing, dimension-ending dangers, crazy monsters, dark and funny. Jason Aaron is one of the greatest writers in the comic industry, and his love for the great Doctor shows on every page. Collects issues #1-5.

quote:

Only Doctor Strange can protect our world from the darkness beyond — now, witness the full toll that constant struggle takes on Earth's Sorcerer Supreme! Every spell cast comes at a cost, but what happens when Strange falls behind on his tab? Find out as the good doctor wakes up somewhere very odd, nearly naked — with no spell books, no weapons and no memory of how he got there...or why all the monsters are chasing him! And as a new visitor to Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum learns one wrong door can lead to oblivion, a magic circle of Strange's friends and allies are about to face their greatest threat. Dark forces are destroying everything mystical in the multiverse, and their sights are set on this dimension. Magic's days are numbered, and Doctor Strange is not ready!

Doctor Strange: The Oath by Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin for $3

One of the greatest Doctor Strange stories penned by another comic book big, Brian K. Vaughan (of Saga, Y the Last Man, and now Paper Girls). If you've never read Doctor Strange and want to read a self-contained classic, here you go!

quote:

Collects Doctor Strange: The Oath #1-5. Doctor Stephen Strange embarks on the most important paranormal investigation of his career, as he sets out to solve an attempted murder - his own! And with his most trusted friend also at death's door, Strange turns to an unexpected corner of the Marvel Universe to recruit a new ally.

Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment by Roger Stern, Gerry Conway, Bill Mantlo & illustrated by Mike Mignola, Kevin Nowlan, and Gene Colan for $3.99

That's right: Doctor Strange illustrated by Mike Mignola. It's not an easy trade to find traditionally, it's too adult for Marvel Unlimited, and now it's insanely cheap. You're welcome!

quote:

Every year on Midsummer's Eve, Victor von Doom clashes with the forces of evil in a vain attempt to free his mother's soul from Hell. Only when Doctor Stephen Strange -- Master of the Mystic Arts and Earth's Sorcerer Supreme -- is convinced to join the fight, does the outcome have any hope of changing. But first these unlikely allies must journey to Mephisto's infernal realm ... where they find that the cost of one soul may be more than they are willing to pay!

Doctor Strange: Into The Dark Dimension by Roger Stern for $3.99

Collects Doctor Strange #68-74 from the 1974-87 run, a well-known run for the character, some consider the 70's "Peak Strange"

quote:

Doctor Strange, the master of the mystic arts, starts his day by curing a mystically cursed sword and ends it by overthrowing a dimensional dictator! The Sorcerer Supreme faces threats on cruise ships, military bases and alien planets, seeking to restore the cosmic balance! And as the origins of the Dark Dimension stand revealed, Strange's true love, Clea, heads the rebellion against her evil mother, Umar! Featuring the Black Knight and the Beyonder!

Doctor Strange: Marvel Masterworks Vol. 1 for $2.99

Collects stories from Strange Tales #110-111, 114-141 & Amazing Spider-Man Annual (1964) #2. Pretty much where it all begins, people!

quote:

Stephen Strange is Doctor Strange. But he is no doctor, at least not that kind that would initially come to mind. He is the Master of the Mystic Arts, a sorcerer supreme, a white knight who wields black magic against blacker villains still. Strange is mankind's only hope against the dark other-worldly forces that conspire to destroy the conscious world. Catch the beginning of Stan Lee and Steve Ditko's amazing run

Doctor Strange vs. Dracula: The Montesi Formula for $3.99

quote:

It's the Sorcerer Supreme against the Emperor of the Undead! Dracula wants Earth to fall under the spell of the Darkhold, but Doctor Strange has joined Blade and the Nightstalkers in a quest to vanquish all vampires! See the origins of vampirism itself unveiled! Guest-starring the Avengers' Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel!

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 3, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Doctor Strange: Season 1 is worth a look if only for Emma Rios' art, as she was absolutely MADE to do Dr Strange. She does magic and psychedelic dimensionscapes better than anyone shy of Ditko.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment by Roger Stern, Gerry Conway, Bill Mantlo & illustrated by Mike Mignola, Kevin Nowlan, and Gene Colan for $3.99

That's right: Doctor Strange illustrated by Mike Mignola. It's not an easy trade to find traditionally, it's too adult for Marvel Unlimited, and now it's insanely cheap. You're welcome!

Fwiw Marvel Unlimited did add Triumph and Torment recently, though it was missing for a long time

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mover posted:

Fwiw Marvel Unlimited did add Triumph and Torment recently, though it was missing for a long time

Someone mentioned this in the other thread as well. Turns out they added it in June, and I dropped my account in May.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Apparently, the War of Kings Omnibus isn't is chronological order. Is there a good one out there cause I can't seem to find one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

obi_ant posted:

Apparently, the War of Kings Omnibus isn't is chronological order. Is there a good one out there cause I can't seem to find one.

are you just looking for a reading order, or trades that are in the correct order? Because for the former just use this chart.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
thank you for that image

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Reading all those cosmic books was a great idea.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

War of Kings sucks, but it leads directly into Realm of Kings and Thanos Imperative which are both amazing so it evens out

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I agree that Realm is superior to War (although I love War), but man are we in the minority on that opinion, just fyi.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Did i mix them up? War is all the Vulcan stuff and Realm is the Lovecraft stuff, right?

wheredashimapansat
Oct 14, 2016
"The Gamer" (Korean has english translation) it's a web comic made by Sang-Young and Illustrated by Sang Ah. It's a nice read if you have a lot of free time. I was suprised how quickly I got sucked into it. You can look for it online. It's so easy to find. The premise is what caught my attention. This kid lives as a game character. I thought it would be cheesy and pedantic at first. and was suprised by it. It's an okay read all things considered.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Retro Futurist posted:

Did i mix them up? War is all the Vulcan stuff and Realm is the Lovecraft stuff, right?

Yep, War is King Vulcan and Realm is the Cancerverse and all that.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Where's a good place to start with modern X-Men? I've never really read superhero comics, but I picked up Season One and enjoyed the art style and the fact that it was basically a clean slate. But I don't know where to go from there. I know the broad strokes of X-Men history, but the less reliant something is on outside knowledge, the better, and I'd prefer something that focuses on the whole team rather than individual characters.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Joss Whedon's Astonishing X Men would be my recommendation. Some people are just very anti-Whedon in all media, which I kind of understand, but his run on Astonishing is pretty great, self contained and feels like an archetypal X Men story.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Hey guys, we do Angel Tree round my way and I picked a 10 year old kid looking for books. We're going to look at some prose books as well, but Scholastic suggests Bone for that age range and I like that idea. I've never read it is it appropriate for that age especially considering I'm gifting through a charity? I'd also like to throw in a superhero book, and I know about the Marvel Adventure line from a few years back, but is there anything like that with Miles Morales?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lester Shy posted:

Where's a good place to start with modern X-Men? I've never really read superhero comics, but I picked up Season One and enjoyed the art style and the fact that it was basically a clean slate. But I don't know where to go from there. I know the broad strokes of X-Men history, but the less reliant something is on outside knowledge, the better, and I'd prefer something that focuses on the whole team rather than individual characters.

Wolverine and the X-men by Aaron is really good. X-men Legacy by Carey is really good, but it really focuses on its history.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

http://www.xplainthexmen.com/faq/#newreader

quote:

I’ve never read any X-Men. Where should I start?

For a self-contained story covering a lot of the silver age: X-Men: Season One
For the long-game path to the present: Giant-Size X-Men #1
For a fairly thorough walk-up to the modern era: Morrison/Quitely’s run on New X-Men, followed by Whedon/Cassady’s on Astonishing X-Men, followed by Messiah Complex. Continue in order from there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dreqqus posted:

Hey guys, we do Angel Tree round my way and I picked a 10 year old kid looking for books. We're going to look at some prose books as well, but Scholastic suggests Bone for that age range and I like that idea. I've never read it is it appropriate for that age especially considering I'm gifting through a charity? I'd also like to throw in a superhero book, and I know about the Marvel Adventure line from a few years back, but is there anything like that with Miles Morales?

Bone is great! It gets flagged in libraries sometimes because one of the characters smokes a cigar, though. It's never glorified, but some parents get upset to see it depicted at all.

I need to run, but I'll think about other titles to recommend. A lot will probably be aimed at young girls, though (most of my buying has been for my younger cousins in the past and my nieces in the future). Wouldn't be anything inappropriate for a boy, but kids at that age are weird about things.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

I'd start with the Grant Morrison new x-men, I recently started a re-read and thought I'd do the "uncanny x-men" and "x-men" series leading up to it but they're loving awful so far.

Start with Morrison, then Whedon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skip directly to Whedon. It's a way better introduction. Morrison's run is full of set-up for stuff that gets undone almost immediately.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Skip directly to Whedon. It's a way better introduction. Morrison's run is full of set-up for stuff that gets undone almost immediately.

The art in Whedon's Astonishing X-Men series (John Cassaday, colored by Laura Martin) is consistently excellent all the way through, while Morrison's New X-Men run has really inconsistent art, featuring a popular but divisive artist whose style may turn off newer readers (Frank Quitely), along with a bunch of rushed fill-ins.

Advantage: Astonishing.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah, I'd say if you really dig Astonishing than you can backtrack to Morrison's run afterwards when you're a little more familiar with the setup, but Morrison's whole deal is deconstructing characters and very old storylines in convoluted ways with a lot of metatextual flourishes, and in X-Men particularly he does a lot of pushing the idea of mutant society and even some transhumanism to its limits within the shared marvel universe in a way that;s much more allegorical and sci-fi.

it's very interesting, just probably not what you have in your head as being "X-Men" if you've been exposed through other media for most of your life.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Astonishing first, then maybe check out the Claremont/Byrne era before going to Morrison's X-Men.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

bobkatt013 posted:

Wolverine and the X-men by Aaron is really good. X-men Legacy by Carey is really good, but it really focuses on its history.
Aaron's Wolverine and the X-men is very uneven imo. There are a couple of really terrible arcs in there. When it's good, it's really good though.

Lurdiak posted:

This is a dumb reason to not read something, just FYI. Morrison's run is very good and Whedon carries on some plot threads from it.

I'd probably second Carey's run, but don't start from X-Men Legacy. He starts writing X-Men around #188 (Supernovas storyline) and it's really good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think the Claremont era holds up really well and is worth reading but obviously it isn't modern X-Men.

I found Morrison's run tough to get in to. His superhero stuff generally seems to need broader knowledge of the subject matter. Astonishing was a much easier read.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

irlZaphod posted:

This is a dumb reason to not read something, just FYI. Morrison's run is very good and Whedon carries on some plot threads from it.

I'd probably second Carey's run, but don't start from X-Men Legacy. He starts writing X-Men around #188 (Supernovas storyline) and it's really good.

It's actually a really good reason not to start with Morrison's run if you're trying to 'get into' the modern version of X-men.

Another good reason is that it's kinda bad.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I'm looking to treat myself with a Moebius book. How is the World of Edena? Or am I better off with a copy of the Incal?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Grimjack any good?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm kind of thinking ahead toward Xmas and am a little stuck on one cousin. What would someone recommend to a huge Walking Dead TV show fan that's not just the Walking Dead comics? I'd feel weird getting her something that is basically the same story, but without her teenage crush, Daryl.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I'm kind of thinking ahead toward Xmas and am a little stuck on one cousin. What would someone recommend to a huge Walking Dead TV show fan that's not just the Walking Dead comics? I'd feel weird getting her something that is basically the same story, but without her teenage crush, Daryl.

Chew?

Victorian Undead?

Fanboys vs Zombies? (maybe it's good...?!)

I don't know if The Last Resort would be too much (probably is).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gotta be zombies? Maybe Southern Bastards if not.