Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

DiHK posted:

That is a lot of armies that just went poof. 

Why would anyone affected by this come back to the same company with so many better alternatives out there?

edit: poo poo, new page. Pretend I posted dickogres or something.

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
BA are pretty good right now. We just got a codex supplement called Angels Blade with some really fun formations.
Highlights include the Lucifer Armored Task Force which is a few Predator Squadrons, a Land Raider Squadron and a tech marine. It gives every vehicle the fast and scout rules. There are two formations that allow making disordered charges after deep striking and some good stuff for Death Company as well.

Overall it's a nice balanced army.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

adamantium|wang posted:

God I love this hobby

:godwinning:

You missed the best one.

The flags are bad but this is just beyond ok. Ugh, boo on this.

I usually really like this channel too. Shameful.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

spacegoat posted:

Why would anyone affected by this come back to the same company with so many better alternatives out there?

edit: poo poo, new page. Pretend I posted dickogres or something.

Not my words, yo. I managed to make a very basic army marine army under that codex but it not particularly unique or fun. It got trounced White Scars who were basically doing with bikes what I did with assault marines in 5th. Fought some Demons to a stand still. Wiped a chinese cast smurf army by the bottom of turn 4.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Crazy Ferret posted:

You missed the best one.

Oh poo poo there are actual sig runes? I was too busy looking to see if I could find what these meant:

e: gently caress there's one in white on the shoulder of that officer aaaaaa

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Never forget we have a terrible hobby full of terrible people.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm starting to get the feeling that you guys wouldn't approve of my Khmer Rouge themed Tau army.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Endman posted:

I was wondering how long it would be until the giant "I'm grumpy about AoS" posts began

Nice to see some people are having a good time with it. I'm tempted to start myself.

If you hadn't noticed, people tend to spend a lot of time and money on this particular hobby. It feels extremely bad when the thing you spent all that time and money on is killed off entirely in an aside paragraph of a book about how the dark elves are actually the good guys.

At least with demon prince Magnus coming all signs point to 40k end times.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The end-times dont have to actually come, but it would be nice to have every faction get to an end-goal at once (providing plenty of giant expensive forgeworld figures in the process). I guess thats what happened in AoS but im guessing the sigmarines stuff wasn't foreshadowed or alluded to and felt like a copout?

That would actually make for a good and sensible starting point for 7th ed IMO. "Here's a bunch of awesome new stuff, but its in a new edition so your smaller stuff can still be played 'pre-armageddon'

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

I guess thats what happened in AoS but im guessing the sigmarines stuff wasn't foreshadowed or alluded to and felt like a copout?

Warhammer had about 6 months of end times releases that culminated with a book that had the whole universe being destroyed by chaos and a big THE END. Then there was three months of people fire selling their armies on eBay. Then they release the AoS starter box and a 4 page rule book that had nothing to do with the large unit rank and flank game that the Warhammer fan base had been playing for 25 years.

It's a textbook example of the worst possible way you can launch a product and resulted in the previous CEO getting sacked. They annihilated a game and thoroughly poisoned the existing player base to the point where not only did they not convert well to the new game, but tons of them (myself included) actively evangelize against it.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Age of Sigmar is a pretty drat good game, I was sour as gently caress for almost a year after the end times ended but I am enjoying the gently caress out of it now(The General's compendium helps a lot). Although I will agree we have basically none of our old players, but it's crazy how many new people are getting into AOS because of the much smaller model counts.

So anyway if you guys want help to do a thread I can also help with content, I play it every week.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

tallkidwithglasses posted:

If you hadn't noticed, people tend to spend a lot of time and money on this particular hobby. It feels extremely bad when the thing you spent all that time and money on is killed off entirely in an aside paragraph of a book about how the dark elves are actually the good guys.

At least with demon prince Magnus coming all signs point to 40k end times.

I'll be honest here and say that if 40k becomes more like AoS is now, I'll be totally fine with it. The fluff is already 90% stupid garbage.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Endman posted:

I'll be honest here and say that if 40k becomes more like AoS is now, I'll be totally fine with it. The fluff is already 90% stupid garbage.

But i like the garbage the most...:ohdear:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Hihohe posted:

But i like the garbage the most...:ohdear:

The good garbage is good

But the bad garbage is bad

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Endman posted:

So you're pushing for that final 10%?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Warhammer had about 6 months of end times releases that culminated with a book that had the whole universe being destroyed by chaos and a big THE END. Then there was three months of people fire selling their armies on eBay. Then they release the AoS starter box and a 4 page rule book that had nothing to do with the large unit rank and flank game that the Warhammer fan base had been playing for 25 years.

It's a textbook example of the worst possible way you can launch a product and resulted in the previous CEO getting sacked. They annihilated a game and thoroughly poisoned the existing player base to the point where not only did they not convert well to the new game, but tons of them (myself included) actively evangelize against it.

Also the complete nonsense rules for old armies including poo poo like "yell curses at your opponent", "yell WAAAGH at the top of your voice", etc.

EDIT: Since the Generals Handbook came out, I believe that its picked up a lot of steam at the store I usually play stuff at.

PrinnySquadron fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 18, 2016

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Crazy Ferret posted:

You missed the best one.

I don't recall who. But upthread some people said that SS82 posted some incredibly dumb pro-brexit video on his channel and is apparently a rightwing super fundamentalist Christian.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

In other news, this is approaching almost enough dakka - https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Blog/Razorback_Rikarius_ENG.pdf :)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Give that a front AV of 12 and I might actually be interested in fielding a couple of those*

*Yes I know it's unofficial rules they made up for a cool conversion.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
GW supporting unofficial rules?

Yes. Yes please.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
The nazi stuff is bad, but so is this:

http://www.pworkwargames.com/en/module/customgallery/gallery?id_gallery=2

Not exactly what I'd choose to advertise a product, but what do I know? The only potential saving grace here is that the proprietor is European and therefore doesn't "get" the symbolism. But it's still pretty :smith:

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that you guys wouldn't approve of my Khmer Rouge themed Tau army.

Tau own because they combine my two favorite things, which are Communism and Battletech.

Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank, Transport)
Transport Capacity: None.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Fenris will Burn.

https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/287981204930198/

Assault-Cannon toting Rubrics, Rubric Terminators, Sorcerers on Disks and 40k Tzaangors confirmed it seems.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SteelMentor posted:

Oh hey what a coincidence, stumbled across this article about this kinda poo poo in the 40k fandom not an hour ago.

This just in: Large group has small idiot contingent.

The thing is that any group of a certain size is going to have a very small subsection of morons, simply because that group is now just a microcosm of society in general. It's like any sample size - the larger the sample, the more chance you're going to find a particular identifier. Dumb poo poo like swastikas and confederate flags stand out the same way a guy in a red shirt stands out in a room full of gray shirts, and the human brain is wired to remember and focus on things that are out of place. The hobby isn't full of racists, but that's all we remember when we see the handful that are out there.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
"Wrath of Magnus," eh? Good to know it culminates in his complete defeat after spending the majority of the setting lording over the heroes and chewing scenery.

It might just be me, but after Khan and Arthas that is my expectation for "Wrath of X" storylines.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Odds on Magnus being beaten on a complete asspull ala: Arthas and Tirion Fordring?

Though tbh, I'm rather expecting Arhiman to stab Magnus in the back and become high poobah of the Thousand Sons.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

I have a feeling my success is going to be completely driven by my pairings. There are some lists that simply cannot deal with mine. There are other lists that my army cannot deal with. Should be interesting. I hope I get to play against at least one Warhog.

That's the problem with lists like that. You'll spoil some people but it's hard to win 6 games in a row.

All I can do is dig for skyfire and pray. :v:

We are like 1/8th of the field. I'm sure you'll bump into someone.

My next list though Twig. DA battle company and that dumb barkstar thing.

I'd run it here but I don't have 30 dawgs.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'd be willing to bet that the Space Hulk Deathwing leaks earlier this week prompted the company to put out this official solo mode gameplay preview. Looks okay but god-drat those voice lines from the NPCs need to trigger way less often.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I remember a similar thing happening with Vermintide at its release.

Imagine LOOMBAHFOOOTS stamping down on a face forever.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Lord Twisted posted:

GW supporting unofficial rules?

Yes. Yes please.

You don't say...?

Though TBQH I've by and large given up on Orks entirely. :smith: I couldn't enjoy playing with my codex, and I sure as poo poo couldn't enjoy it with GW's. My enthusiasm has wholesale transferred to Genestealer Cults, which less touched on and more danced all over my Lovecraftian nerve.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 18, 2016

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

PantsOptional posted:

I'd be willing to bet that the Space Hulk Deathwing leaks earlier this week prompted the company to put out this official solo mode gameplay preview. Looks okay but god-drat those voice lines from the NPCs need to trigger way less often.

Agreed on the voice lines but drat that game looks fun.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SteelMentor posted:

Fenris will Burn.

https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/287981204930198/

Assault-Cannon toting Rubrics, Rubric Terminators, Sorcerers on Disks and 40k Tzaangors confirmed it seems.

gently caress yeah I am HYPED for this

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ugh, between this poo poo and Secret Weapon putting out some new T. Son themed bases I feel like my wallet is really going to start hurting because I have always wanted to make a Thousand Sons army.

Now, the question is, will the rules for them be good, or utter poo poo?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

This gameplay looks pretty dope. My only complaints are the voice lines being too frequent and not sounding like the Terminators from the Dawn of War games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mZsmjZaQhQ
I also think the locational damage on the player is really cool but you seem to die so easily and heal so easily that it'll probably never really come into effect :/ That aside, yeah, game looks dope. Gets the look and feel of Space Hulk down, and getting to issue orders to the NPC dudes is a cool way to touch on Space Hulk's roots, even if it's not as complex as like, Rainbow Six's commands.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Safety Factor posted:

Infuriatingly, from a business perspective, GW missed a perfect license tie-in opportunity with Total War Warhammer. Games like that take years, they knew it was coming. They could have released 9th edition this year before the game hit and had new rules and a starter set ready to go for fresh/old players lured into stores by pretty pixels. Instead, you have people wandering in and being told that that world has been replaced by a new setting and

Funny enough though

Oh man that generic "Freeguild general" sure has an interesting KF symbol on its chest, and that griffon sure does look like Deathclaw... and that looks like The warhammer. But nah he's just some random general, total coincidence :)

:effort:

(Not disagreeing with you, just adding that they even still have KF's model for sale, just not called KF, and how silly that is)

Guy Goodbody posted:

I did it. I painted some Warhammer 40,000 miniatures. My first ever attempt at painting minis. These are the dudes from the Space Marine + Paint set. The white and black paints in there were dry, some replacements are on their way from GW customer service but I got impatient. So I still need to come back and hit up the shoulder pad details with white and the gun side plates with black. I also got some silver and light blue in case I got ambitious and tried panel lining. Which I did, on the middle guy, to disastrous results.

please excuse cell phone camera

edit: also I built a Gundam

That's some drat fancy edge highlighting if those are really your first ever painted space barbies! Good work.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 18, 2016

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I am enjoying new GW but I have two requests of it:

1) at some point in its breakneck "LOOK IT'S YOUR OLD FAVORITES!" GameMasterAnthony strategy of product release, it would be cool if they made rules that non-Eldar, non-Tau xenos can enjoy.

2) it would be super good if Games Workshop remembered 40K was dark satire and not fascist wankbait. White nationalism is gripping the western world, I just want a little self reflection from the design team before they release the next Kristallnacht-pattern 88 Thunder Stormer that rerolls hits against single mothers.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I really liked Vermintide and have been in agony waiting for Deathwing ever since the Rise of the Terminators trailer, but watching that gameplay footage I've transitioned all the way from "holy poo poo holy poo poo" to "meh, I guess I should at least give it a shot before calling it poo poo". Maybe it's just one of those games that doesn't make for good spectating. The lovely and constant voice acting sure as hell didn't help, especially since it's inevitably going to get compared to Vermintide at every turn.

Snollygoster posted:

2) it would be super good if Games Workshop remembered 40K was dark satire and not fascist wankbait. White nationalism is gripping the western world, I just want a little self reflection from the design team before they release the next Kristallnacht-pattern 88 Thunder Stormer that rerolls hits against single mothers.

loving :lol: if you think GW isn't mostly white nationalists.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Snollygoster posted:

I am enjoying new GW but I have two requests of it:

You should read the regimental standard website. It's pretty clear there are still large elements of dark humour in the setting.

Also look at some of the Genestealer Cult models - you can tell there's a bit of subtle whimsy there. I'm thinking of e.g. The acolyte with two sticks of dynamite and a sweet rear end 90s cyberpunk visor.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hra Mormo posted:

I really liked Vermintide and have been in agony waiting for Deathwing ever since the Rise of the Terminators trailer, but watching that gameplay footage I've transitioned all the way from "holy poo poo holy poo poo" to "meh, I guess I should at least give it a shot before calling it poo poo". Maybe it's just one of those games that doesn't make for good spectating. The lovely and constant voice acting sure as hell didn't help, especially since it's inevitably going to get compared to Vermintide at every turn.

The voice acting in Space Marine wasn't terribly great either ("SPACE MARINES!!! SPACE MARINES!! SPA SPA SPACE MARINES!") but the game sits well in my mind as a fantastic 40k game. I keep going back to it every now and then. I'm mostly looking forward to playing this game with friends (don't really care about single play so much).

Hra Mormo posted:

loving :lol: if you think GW isn't mostly white nationalists.

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Where others see pakis, gringos, and spics, Duncan only sees thin and rich layers of color on an exquisitely detailed 1:1 miniature :unsmith:

• Locked thread