Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

IMO, Netflix Marvel blows both DC CW and AoS out of the water. DC CW at it's best is better than Aos at it's best, and DC CW and AoS at their worst are about equal. But DC CW was at it's worst a lot more recently than AoS.

I think Netflix shows get an uneven hand in their favor because you can binge it without extended mid season breaks or whatnot, and because they don't often have a "bad season 1". Rather, the Netflix shows tend to start strong and either have a couple bad episodes or drawn out episodes near the end (DD s1, Jessica Jones S1) or have an entire back half full of bad or medicore episodes (DD S2, Luke Cage S1).

I'm not denying the Netflix shows aren't better. I think they are. But not by much. I think AOS at its best is pretty close to DD S1. And I'd argue AOS S2/3 is way better than Luke Cage, which really has a whole bunch of flat out bad episodes in the back half.

EDIT: RE-Inhumans TV. I can only imagine they are pretty much already in pre-production for this. If they really aren't using any casting from AOS, then they're pretty much talking about making a mini-movie and a TV series within a year from basically now. That's a tall order. I'm kind of concerned this is just being done as a sudden move to get Inhumans rushed out the door so that a movie can happen at some point down the road.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spergatory posted:

AoS is a better-written and better-plotted show than either Arrow or the Flash (haven't seen Legends, never will). That much is basically inarguable. The AoS writers clearly lay their plots out in advance and are thus able to hint and foreshadow and carefully plan the journey to their endgame, whereas Flash and Arrow are very obviously just making poo poo up as they go along. Again, that's not even something that is up for debate-- the DCTV writers have basically admitted that they are flying by the seat of their pants most of the time.

EDIT: Note that this isn't a complaint necessarily. I generally like both Flash and Arrow but it is sometimes painfully clear that they aren't operating according to any sort of plan and are just sort of going with whatever.

I feel like the Reverse Flash arc was totally planned.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RareAcumen posted:

And Arrow supposedly had a broad plan for the first five years, tied to his flashbacks to his "five years of whatever". Not sure what they will do next year. I wonder if he will start flashing back to S1.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, absolutely. As was Arrow seasons 1 and 2; immaculately so, in fact. But after that, everything more or less went completely off the rails. It's part of why those shows have become so frustrating to me: they've shown that they certainly can plan and execute an arc, and that fairly amazing things happen when they do. It's just that they... well, don't.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spergatory posted:

Oh, absolutely. As was Arrow seasons 1 and 2; immaculately so, in fact. But after that, everything more or less went completely off the rails. It's part of why those shows have become so frustrating to me: they've shown that they certainly can plan and execute an arc, and that fairly amazing things happen when they do. It's just that they... well, don't.

The most enjoyable thing about the CW shows last season were the /u/OnBenchNow synopses on Reddit. In fact I just stopped watching the episodes in favor of those towards the end.

But I absolutely was on board for Arrow S1 and S2 and Flash S1.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I like Gotham.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Phylodox posted:

I like Gotham.

Gotham got a lot more fun when they decided to go full Got-Ham and realized they were a comic book show, not a police procedural flimsily set in a comic book world.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

At the end of the day, the typical comic book nerd opinion is "DC movie bad, Marvel movie good, DC CW good, AoS bad, Netflix Marvel good" regardless of the actual quality of these shows.

It's also not to be confused with the general public opinion, where DC and Marvel movies are about as profitable as one another while Gotham is more popular than any single CW show or AoS.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

At the end of the day, the typical comic book nerd opinion is "DC movie bad, Marvel movie good, DC CW good, AoS bad, Netflix Marvel good" regardless of the actual quality of these shows.

It's also not to be confused with the general public opinion, where DC and Marvel movies are about as profitable as one another while Gotham is more popular than any single CW show or AoS.

The audience for CW DC shows is a very, very different audience. That's all there is to it, really.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The MSJ posted:

I think Superman Returns was the last DC movie to review well at all and the Nolan Batman movies were the last ones that were near-universally praised. Trying to mimic Marvel's format seems to be hurting DC's movie quality, though maybe it's Snyder who can't figure that poo poo out.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DC is not really trying to copy Marvel when it comes to movies. If the MCU movies had been progressing like the DC ones, Iron Man would have been followed by a Hulk vs Iron Man movie the year after, which would probably be better from a narrative standpoint and sets up their science bro status in Avengers. As it is, a lot of more interesting things that could have happened in Phase 1 (Cap's WW2 adventure, Stark facing the consequences of his father's actions, Thor finding an alternative route to Earth) had to be handwaved away in order for The Avengers to arrive by 2012.

Zach Snyder figured out a lot. The problem for most people is that it's not the same thing they figured out. All the mythic elements and thematic subtext of his movies are like him making a Westworld Host design and construction video for an audience of Hosts. "I don't see anything here."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
You're getting into the weeds when you read my statement that DC is mimicking Marvel. DC wanted an ongoing cinematic continuity like Marvel has even if some of the details are different. They're failing and it's largely because they're having trouble making movies that geeks and general audiences both enjoy.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
DC just seems to be pumping out these cheap, poorly written shows, none of them come close to the quality of AoS in my opinion. I enjoy watching Flash, but it is in its third season, and the writing is still as bad as when it started.
I would even take AoS over any of the Marvel Netflix shows, they are good but all suffer from being 3-4 episodes too long.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
As much as I love Marvel Netflix shows, they have yet to stick a landing and have a good end to a season. The first half of Daredevil S2 was probably as good as it gets, while the second half... yeah. Top marks for tone and character development and world building though, holy poo poo all those things are consistently amazing.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I would think that rushing to get that second season of Daredevil made caused a drop in quality during production.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I would think that rushing to get that second season of Daredevil made caused a drop in quality during production.

That, and I suspect they struggled to explore the Hand plot and the Punisher plot at once, and both suffered.

Although I agree that all the Netflix shows are a few episodes too long, I still think they're the most interesting superhero narratives we're getting. Flaws aside, they're pretty solid about explored themes, and occasionally go in subversive or insightful directions despite being Disney products.

I mean, Jessica Jones is an incredibly layered exploration of rape culture, trauma, and living as a survivor. Luke Cage hits on prison-industrial injustice, racialized violence, and BLM civil disobedience. Those are interesting approaches to costumed punch man stories and not many other storytellers in this space are going for that.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Xealot posted:

I mean, Jessica Jones is an incredibly layered exploration of rape culture, trauma, and living as a survivor. Luke Cage hits on prison-industrial injustice, racialized violence, and BLM civil disobedience. Those are interesting approaches to costumed punch man stories and not many other storytellers in this space are going for that.

I agree on both. But as far as tight storytelling, I think AOS S2 is a lot better than JJ (a few episodes too long) or Cage (honestly like 6 episodes too long). Hell, I'd take even the shittiest AOS villains over loving Diamondback.

I think Defenders might work out since it'll only be 8 episodes long, though I'm kind of concerned with them juggling so many characters at once.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

notthegoatseguy posted:

I agree on both. But as far as tight storytelling, I think AOS S2 is a lot better than JJ (a few episodes too long) or Cage (honestly like 6 episodes too long). Hell, I'd take even the shittiest AOS villains over loving Diamondback.

I think Defenders might work out since it'll only be 8 episodes long, though I'm kind of concerned with them juggling so many characters at once.

Plus, Sigourney Weaver, who will be fantastic even if she phones it in.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

notthegoatseguy posted:

Diamondback was loving awful.

What's funny about him, though, is that he seemed to be terrible... in universe too? I mean even his XO is calling him out for being dumb as gently caress, and he's totally right about it.

Xealot posted:

That, and I suspect they struggled to explore the Hand plot and the Punisher plot at once, and both suffered.

Although I agree that all the Netflix shows are a few episodes too long, I still think they're the most interesting superhero narratives we're getting. Flaws aside, they're pretty solid about explored themes, and occasionally go in subversive or insightful directions despite being Disney products.

I would bet money that Daredevil Season 2 was a bunch of factors:
- A corporate mandate to do Elektra
- A corporate mandate to do The Punisher
- A corporate mandate to do the Hand
- A new show runner likely having a hand in these mandates

What made Daredevil season 1 so good was that you spent almost equal time with the villains and heroes, and you got to really know them; every move one took, you got to see the other respond to, and vice versa. In Daredevil Season 2 Matt spent the entire thing out of his depth in the back half, not knowing what was going on (I still have no idea what the gently caress that hole was about).

It also amp'ed up the comic book aspect and ruined the grounding they had perfected in the first season. I never realized Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was primarily a parody of Daredevil until I started laughing how ridiculous Sewer Ninjas were, then went "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The HAND. I get it."

That said it wasn't a total waste. The Punisher stuff was top notch across the board and I was entirely happy to hear they green lit that series. It's just the hand stuff was ridiculous, incoherent, and really badly handled. Same with Elektra, really: There was a point where she just started murdering a bunch of good guys that I started thinking of her as irredeemably psychotic, and found it odd Matt was actually warming up to it.

Long story short I think they hosed up every non-Punisher thing after the episode 6 mark and should have put more time into that, and done Elektra next season (or just introduced her this season MINUS the crazy ninja stuff, so it would work towards that).

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 17, 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I actually liked Diamondback in how over the top evil he was

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

I actually liked Diamondback in how over the top evil he was

I have to admit I will give them credit for making his plans suck in-universe as much as out, so I can't really get mad at the show for him being stupid. He was supposed to be that way.

Shades ended up having an ton more depth than I thought he would. Diamondback was little more than a mad dog.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I just love diamondback's actor, he sells the I'M DUMB AND EVIL look so well

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I didn't hate the origin flashback we got for Ghost Rider in that last episode. But to be totally honest, all I could think about while I was watching it was "God, this would have been so much cooler with Netflix writing and cinematography and productions." The version we got was honestly really perfunctory and over-narrated.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BrianWilly posted:

I didn't hate the origin flashback we got for Ghost Rider in that last episode. But to be totally honest, all I could think about while I was watching it was "God, this would have been so much cooler with Netflix writing and cinematography and productions." The version we got was honestly really perfunctory and over-narrated.

On the other hand, maybe Johnny will show up again later in the season? :shobon:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

On the other hand, maybe Johnny will show up again later in the season? :shobon:

It's not as if Nick is going to turn down a couple of bucks now at days.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

Diamondback was loving awful.

What's funny about him, though, is that he seemed to be terrible... in universe too? I mean even his XO is calling him out for being dumb as gently caress, and he's totally right about it.

I would bet money that Daredevil Season 2 was a bunch of factors:
- A corporate mandate to do Elektra
- A corporate mandate to do The Punisher
- A corporate mandate to do the Hand
- A new show runner likely having a hand in these mandates

What made Daredevil season 1 so good was that you spent almost equal time with the villains and heroes, and you got to really know them; every move one took, you got to see the other respond to, and vice versa. In Daredevil Season 2 Matt spent the entire thing out of his depth in the back half, not knowing what was going on (I still have no idea what the gently caress that hole was about).

It also amp'ed up the comic book aspect and ruined the grounding they had perfected in the first season. I never realized Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was primarily a parody of Daredevil until I started laughing how ridiculous Sewer Ninjas were, then went "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The HAND. I get it."

That said it wasn't a total waste. The Punisher stuff was top notch across the board and I was entirely happy to hear they green lit that series. It's just the hand stuff was ridiculous, incoherent, and really badly handled. Same with Elektra, really: There was a point where she just started murdering a bunch of good guys that I started thinking of her as irredeemably psychotic, and found it odd Matt was actually warming up to it.

Long story short I think they hosed up every non-Punisher thing after the episode 6 mark and should have put more time into that, and done Elektra next season (or just introduced her this season MINUS the crazy ninja stuff, so it would work towards that).

Even DD S2 first half has some obvious flaws. That big first scene with the Punisher when he shoots up the Irish gang, there's a whole lot of cameras cutting away as soon as someone gets shot or right before you see anything too graphic. Its almost as if they were told to tone down the violence while still letting Punisher be Punisher.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Diamondback would be more at home in a straight up blaxploitation movie. He just didn't mesh with the 'world' that Luke Cage built around it.

It's like making the villain in Batman Begins Marvin the Martian.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Diamondback would be more at home in a straight up blaxploitation movie. He just didn't mesh with the 'world' that Luke Cage built around it.

It's like making the villain in Batman Begins Marvin the Martian.
Luke Cage seemed like one half wanted to be a neo-blaxploitation film while the other half was a straight up blaxploitation, I dug it but can understand why a lot of people wouldn't like it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Blazing Ownager posted:

Shades ended up having an ton more depth than I thought he would.

Shades was the only character who had his poo poo together in the entire show.

When I first saw him I made Tom Cruise Risky Business jokes because of how dumb he looked, but drat if he didn't grow on me.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Shades was definitely my favorite character (that survived the show). The "Law-Yer" interrogation scene is one of my three favorite Netflix Marvel scenes, along with the DD S1 hallway fight and the JJ police station scene. Theo Rossi just sells that role so perfectly.

Edit: The robbery scene with Method Man is flawless.

Ireallylikeeggs fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 18, 2016

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Shades and Ward would have been such an amazing team up. :(

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I just wish I knew why they called him Shades.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Shades was definitely my favorite character (that survived the show). The "Law-Yer" interrogation scene is one of my three favorite Netflix Marvel scenes, along with the DD S1 hallway fight and the JJ police station scene. Theo Rossi just sells that role so perfectly.

Edit: The robbery scene with Method Man is flawless.
Now that Wu Tang is canon with the MCU does that mean Meth is the Ghost Rider and that Peter Parker got his superhero name from listening to Enter the 36 Chambers?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Turk doesn't get enough credit. The perpetually unlucky petty criminal who binds the Netflix shows together. I hope he has a hand in setting up the big bad in the Defenders, and finally gets his revenge right before falling off a building.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Diamondback was a let-down, but I think Luke Cage was the best of the Marvel shows so far by a slim margin. Honestly there is so much in the Daredevil stuff that I like, but almost none of it is Daredevil himself. I even like Charlie Cox in the part. They're writing him as a sanctimonious, guilt-ridden rear end in a top hat (which maybe he is in the punchingmans comics? iono) and by the end of DD S2, I found myself wanting to be done with any scenes he was in so I could get back to the stuff I was enjoying.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Sanctimonious guilt-ridden rear end in a top hat is Daredevil, yeah. Like they've been 1000% kinder to the people surrounding Matt in comparison to the comics.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

homullus posted:

Diamondback was a let-down, but I think Luke Cage was the best of the Marvel shows so far by a slim margin. Honestly there is so much in the Daredevil stuff that I like, but almost none of it is Daredevil himself. I even like Charlie Cox in the part. They're writing him as a sanctimonious, guilt-ridden rear end in a top hat (which maybe he is in the punchingmans comics? iono) and by the end of DD S2, I found myself wanting to be done with any scenes he was in so I could get back to the stuff I was enjoying.
I mean he is Catholic so this par for the course :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Daredevil is Catholic Guilt, the Comic. But they really pour it on in the Netflix series more than in the comic books even Born Again or the Electra Saga.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Daredevil is Catholic Guilt, the Comic. But they really pour it on in the Netflix series more than in the comic books even Born Again or the Electra Saga.

At least in the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mulva posted:

Sanctimonious guilt-ridden rear end in a top hat is Daredevil, yeah. Like they've been 1000% kinder to the people surrounding Matt in comparison to the comics.

Karen hasn't become a junky and doing porn at least.

I hope season 3 gets Typhoid Mary.

• Locked thread