Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Google (still too late) is pulling fake news from AdWords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Twitter's giving the firehose to the FBI, when it wouldn't do so for the CIA.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/14/13629248/fbi-dataminr-twitter-surveillance-contract-scanning-police

Just need Tim Cook to give up on privacy to ensure that all hope everywhere is dead.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Silicon Valley built a toaster oven. You can guess how that went.

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3065667/this-1500-toaster-oven-is-everything-thats-wrong-with-silicon-valley-design

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

:siren:WE HAVE AN EXIT:siren:

Snapchat files for it's IPO!

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/15/snapchat-has-reportedly-filed-confidentially-for-its-massive-ipo/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm so pumped for the stock value to plummet after 3 months.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm not sure what your implication is here. No reasonable person thinks that regulating AirBnB will solve anyone's housing crisis.
Housing politics are always full of unreasonable people ;)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I see they are staking their business on those spy glasses? Didn't exactly work for Google..

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Earlier in this thread, I made a prediction partially in jest, which ended up becoming true.

Prophesy:

silence_kit posted:

I sincerely believe that some posters in this thread would defend to the death even the most stupid, pointless, and wasteful government regulation if it gave them an opportunity to rag on a startup company.

Prophesy fulfilled:

blugu64 posted:

I don't understand how Beepi is legal. I almost bought a car from the, until I realized that it was Sunday, and it's against the law to sell cars as a dealership on Sunday* in Texas. Why should I buy a car from a company that flaunts the law and accepts bitcoins.

I also made another prediction which has partially become true:

silence_kit posted:

Watch as in the next 8 years, President Trump will pass legislation increasing DoD funding, and a marginal graduate student science project which wouldn't have gotten funded in a more conservative funding climate becomes the next steam engine/radio/internet.

Is The Next Great Technology, enabled by shoveling more money into science research, going to be created in the next couple of years?

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 16, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
That's really funny because the post you quote was immediately challenged and the poster declined to defend the law at all, but said that the company should get it changed instead of ignoring it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

That's really funny because the post you quote was immediately challenged and the poster declined to defend the law at all, but said that the company should get it changed instead of ignoring it.

lol you're completely right:

blugu64 posted:

Then change the law, what other laws do you think are weird and stupid and thus think you don't have to follow?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Is The Next Great Technology, enabled by shoveling more money into science research, going to be created in the next couple of years?

NSF funding, EPA research funding, DOE non-weapons funding, NASA earth science funding, NIH and NIMH funding are all likely to be significantly cut. Where do you get this idea we are shoving more money into science research?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

The only DoD spending he's proposing is buying more useless/overpriced weapon systems from LockMart as a sop to "manufacturing" jobs, i.e. the same kind of pork barrel policies we already have. It's unlikely to produce more R&D, especially as he's promising to slash a lot of other agencies that fund essential science research.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

silence_kit posted:

Earlier in this thread, I made a prediction partially in jest, which ended up becoming true.

Prophesy:

Prophesy fulfilled:

Congrats, have a cookie, you earned it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Story of a perhaps-nepotism-hire whistleblower at Theranos. It's oddly abstract and indirect but still kind of interesting.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/theranos-whistleblower-shook-the-companyand-his-family-1479335963

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Can you summarize? WSJ is paywalled.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Baby Babbeh posted:

The only DoD spending he's proposing is buying more useless/overpriced weapon systems from LockMart as a sop to "manufacturing" jobs, i.e. the same kind of pork barrel policies we already have. It's unlikely to produce more R&D, especially as he's promising to slash a lot of other agencies that fund essential science research.

Yeah, I'm a researcher doing aerospace related stuff at a Government lab; my experience is that while defense projects are great for research initially, once they through concept, requirements, prototyping, and initial acceptance testing, the money starts to run dry in the R&D departments. As intial production ramps up and big programs run over time, over budget, and start to be threatened by Congress, Generals start to look for money in the couch cushions to keep things going and R&D takes a big hit. Right now, we have the Air Force spending a lot to build the F-35 and the new LRS-B/B-21. Navy is spending big to build F-35 and the new Ford class carriers. And the Army is trying to figure how they can fund both FVL and upgrade programs for the Blackhawk and Apache. The military has a lot of procurement coming up, and R&D is getting cut back to find money to pay for it.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

If we were to kill the F 35 and spend that money on literally anything else at all, that would not only benefit the country but would actually probably increase the combat readiness of our military because they wouldn't be saddled with flying the worst plane ever designed in an era where fighter jets are kind of pointless for the sort of conflict we're likely to face.

But all the parts are built by politically empowered white people in economically depressed parts of the country and defense spending is the only kind of stimulus that's thinkable under our ideology, so it will never, ever happen.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

silence_kit posted:

Prophesy:

Prophesy fulfilled:

You already bragged about "predicting" it here, on the day it was posted, August 1st 2016:

silence_kit posted:

Lol, I made a prediction earlier in this thread and at the time I thought it was a little hyperbolic, but it looks like it actually came true:

Why are you bringing it up again?

E: Let me edit past the rhetorical question. Your attempt to paint this thread's occupants as hypocrites is boring and wrong.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 17, 2016

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can you summarize? WSJ is paywalled.
If you do it from a google search you can read it I think. It's kind of all over the road but I will summarize it best I can

-George Shultz (95, secretary of state under Reagan) was on the Theranos board
-His grandson, Tyler Shultz, was also at Theranos for like 8 months and then wrote an email to Holmes in 2014 saying "hey they're doctoring the data down here".
-Holmes and the company president replied that he was an idiot who didn't understand science, and he quit that day
-Tyler spoke to the state regulator and a journalist and was a main source for the first wave of bad Theranos publicity in October 2015
-This part is unclear but supposedly he spent $400k defending himself legally from the company, and his grandfather with the company has tried to get him to sign nondisclosure stuff

A lot of critical things are out of the story because Shultz isn't quoted directly... like in that email was he being pointed towards Holmes or was he thinking she wasn't aware? It's all a little hazy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hey, this can't go poorly at all, right?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/complete-rethinking-how-work-should-john-battelle?trk=hp-feed-article-title

quote:

Stephen DeWitt has had the kind of career that used to end with a gold watch, a comfortable retirement, and a slow decline into old age. He’s held senior positions at HP, Cisco, and Symantec, and took Cobalt Networks through one of the highest flying IPOs of the late 1990s. But instead of retiring, in early 2015 he took the position of CEO at Work Market, a fast-growing platform that is reimagining the relationship between labor and business.

Backed by legendary investor Fred Wilson, New York-based Work Market helps large enterprises create “labor clouds” that connect skilled workers with tasks companies need to complete. The platform integrates all types of workers — contractors, full-time employees, and vendors — and parameterizes tasks and workflows against any number of data points and business rules. In short, Work Market hopes to instrument a wholesale rethinking of how work gets done in our society — from a world of traditional corporate employment to a world where every skilled worker can act as an enterprise of one.

The gig economy cannot fail, it can only be failed.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
so they've invented... temping

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
rethinking
reimagining
enterprise of one

I like how basically tech companies are just glorified hype machines. Just add re- to a few words and you're good to go.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Liquid Communism posted:

The gig economy cannot fail, it can only be failed.
I never understood what cachet "legendary investor" is supposed to carry. They lucked out once, most likely not due to any inherent understanding of the market or skill, and after a good exit have more money to put on stupider/riskier bets.

Also, IBM had systems for breaking projects down and aligning folks in their talent pools a decade ago. If they hadn't faceplanted that might've come sooner.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

JawnV6 posted:

I never understood what cachet "legendary investor" is supposed to carry. They lucked out once, most likely not due to any inherent understanding of the market or skill, and after a good exit have more money to put on stupider/riskier bets.
I honestly think some of that cachet comes from Warren Buffet existing. He's the only one I know of that has had multiple successes to the point where I genuinely think he is the best living investor. (But note that his successes were mostly because he was ahead of the curve rather than the type of skills that "legendary investor" makes the average person think of.)

It's like there's this Platonic ideal of a legendary investor that doesn't actually exist but everyone thinks of it when the phrase comes up.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Warren Buffet's personality cult annoys me to no end

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I honestly think some of that cachet comes from Warren Buffet existing. He's the only one I know of that has had multiple successes to the point where I genuinely think he is the best living investor.

it was just luck, he's hosed up a shitload

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"parameterizes tasks and workflows against any number of data points and business rules"

Good to see the guys who wrote LaForge's :techno: lines for Star Trek are getting work.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 18, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's like there's this Platonic ideal of a legendary investor that doesn't actually exist but everyone thinks of it when the phrase comes up.

The market is uncertain and scary so there is comfort in the belief that there are prophets who can guide us to the promised land of above 8% annual yields.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's worse than just temp work. Temp work comes with rights as an employee. You sign up as a freelancer. Since they aren't directly hiring you they aren't on the hook for your benefits and neither are the companies that are hiring you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JawnV6 posted:

That's not an uncommon case, but Fred Wilson is legit.

E: also, VCs don't invest the exit proceeds, except in small recycling cases, unless you count them coming back via enriched LPs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

It's worse than just temp work. Temp work comes with rights as an employee. You sign up as a freelancer. Since they aren't directly hiring you they aren't on the hook for your benefits and neither are the companies that are hiring you.
Considering Obamacare is probably dead sometime next year I'm wondering if that could severely curtail interest in these dumb 'gig' jobs. These all seemed to start after Obamacare.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think there's a stronger case that the gig economy increased because of bad employment prospects. Wages have been stagnant since the 1980s. The notion of a company being loyal to its employees died out sometime in the 90s. The burden of training has fallen on prospective employees who take on a lot of debt or perform a lot of unpaid work to demonstrate their ability to perform basic tasks. Heck, the phrase permalance was coined in 2007 when Bush was still in office.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Are we pretending cell phones had nothing to do with the gig economy?

You can't have uber without cell phones. Maybe you could approximate a worse version without smart phones but uber without cell phones doesn't work.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

I think there's a stronger case that the gig economy increased because of bad employment prospects. Wages have been stagnant since the 1980s. The notion of a company being loyal to its employees died out sometime in the 90s. The burden of training has fallen on prospective employees who take on a lot of debt or perform a lot of unpaid work to demonstrate their ability to perform basic tasks. Heck, the phrase permalance was coined in 2007 when Bush was still in office.
Yes it's a combination of factors, but prior to Obamacare a lot of people stayed in jobs they didn't necessarily like because otherwise it was basically impossible to get healthcare coverage.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying cell phones don't play a part in the gig economy. It'd be hard to have the current gig economy without cell phones. But a gig economy depends on having a lot of people having free time for intermittent work and a willingness to work for less money and benefits than people employed to work in their field full time. This implies people turning to the gig economy out of necessity either because their primary job(s) don't pay enough to meet the person's real or perceived needs. Assuming the gigs aren't their full-time jobs.

Edit:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes it's a combination of factors, but prior to Obamacare a lot of people stayed in jobs they didn't necessarily like because otherwise it was basically impossible to get healthcare coverage.

I'm sure that was a factor for some people but in general why trade a job with a schedule and benefits for a job where you hope to get work and where you pay for everything out of pocket and where your expenses will almost certainly increase faster than your earnings?

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 18, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Without Obamacare, health insurance is literally impossible to get for a lot of the self-employed, even if you are making good money. I went to a presentation a couple of days ago about a scheme for freelancers to get health care without Obamacare and it really was a torturous system - you had to be "technically hired" by a company that did payroll so you could hire yourself on minimum wage. Or something. It didn't make a lick of sense but I'll probably have to figure it out in a year.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

boner confessor posted:

so they've invented... temping
Worse, they've reinvented Amazon's Mechanical Turk, which has been up and running for eleven years. There are multiple businesses that do this sort of thing, including a transcribing service (that I need to finish registering for) that breaks up the thing being transcribed into small (seconds, not minutes) units and then recombined.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NewForumSoftware posted:

it was just luck, he's hosed up a shitload
Not mutually exclusive with being way better than the average human being. If anything, it humanizes him to the people buying into the profit prophet mythos.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BarbarianElephant posted:

Without Obamacare, health insurance is literally impossible to get for a lot of the self-employed, even if you are making good money. I went to a presentation a couple of days ago about a scheme for freelancers to get health care without Obamacare and it really was a torturous system - you had to be "technically hired" by a company that did payroll so you could hire yourself on minimum wage. Or something. It didn't make a lick of sense but I'll probably have to figure it out in a year.

That sounds like a California thing - a PEO. I've never had problems getting healthcare when I've been self employed (pre Obamacare). The only lovely parts were the bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Motronic posted:

That sounds like a California thing - a PEO. I've never had problems getting healthcare when I've been self employed (pre Obamacare). The only lovely parts were the bills.

This is a problem I've had in both Massachusetts and New York. Even when it was possible to purchase individual plans, the premiums started at $800/month. Obamacare was a major factor in me being able to start my own business, and if it goes away before I can expand enough to enroll in a group plan, I'm not sure what the future looks like.