Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Speed Racer will continue to be the gold standard for quite a while
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eDKNxcbTf0

Jesus. That looked terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Samovar posted:

That youtube video does it a disservice. Track it down on Blu-ray or even the DVD. It's gorgeous.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Spider-Man Homecoming trailer is going to debut at Midnight on December 16th attached to Star Wars: Rogue One.

Not that this is a new observation, but the intimacy with which the same few franchises I liked as a kid are being retooled and knit together is becoming claustrophobic.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Cardboard Box A posted:

Speed Racer will continue to be the gold standard for quite a while
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eDKNxcbTf0

this is so insanely ugly

greenscreen the movie. Why did they even bother with live actors

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Speed Racer rules.

The last race is a good 30 minute family movie short on its own.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I never watched actual Speed Racer cartoons though, so the closest comparison I had was:
http://dexterslab.wikia.com/wiki/Mock_5

The movie is pretty fun, but I agree it's in a weird spot where the races feel almost like an uncanny valley Pixar movie even in the PeeWee Herman look of everything. I liked the race visuals less on a rewatch a few months ago than I did back when it was new, but maybe that was just the smaller screen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Samovar posted:

It looked kind of like a Tim and Eric sketch to me.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Speed Racer does rule but its a little long and takes too much time to get going. Its 90s-fmv style just works.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zzulu posted:

this is so insanely ugly

greenscreen the movie. Why did they even bother with live actors

There is nothing inherently wrong with green screen. The movie is completely style over substance, and it shines. It is a hyper cartoon.

I cannot stress how that youtube clip isn't representative of the actual film. To prove my point, I took the famous XP wallpaper photo Bliss and hosed it up with MSPaint.

That is basically what that clip is to Speed Racer.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Zzulu posted:

this is so insanely ugly

Just LOL at people saying "You wouldn't be saying this if you saw it in glorious 1080p :smuggo:" That move looks absolutely garish

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Movie looks real good on blu-ray. It certainly has style. I like the movie more and more each time I watch it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

935 posted:

Just LOL at people saying "You wouldn't be saying this if you saw it in glorious 1080p :smuggo:" That move looks absolutely garish

You should see Spy Kids 8: Kid Harder in 4K! It really comes alive!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFoZz6PG72k

Edit: Christ, I always thought the Spy Kids movies were all super cheap made for Robert Rodriguez to have fun with his kids. The budget was almost $40 million.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Unlike Spy Kids 3D, Speed Racer is a good movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

935 posted:

No debate here, but even at its garish worst it looks a hell of a lot better than that clip.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MacheteZombie posted:

Is that the one with Sylvester Stallone? I didn't even watch that one, it was that bad!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Violator posted:

You should see Spy Kids 8: Kid Harder in 4K! It really comes alive!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFoZz6PG72k

Edit: Christ, I always thought the Spy Kids movies were all super cheap made for Robert Rodriguez to have fun with his kids. The budget was almost $40 million.

:stare:

Holy poo poo. I wonder where all that money really went, because that's some serious $15k budget Asylum poo poo that wound up on screen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

935 posted:

It's absolutely garish. It's also gorgeous.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I won't have anyone bad mouth pink blazers. It's the clothing of choice for master thieves! Man, I'd love to see the Wachowski sisters adapt Lupin the 3rd.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Official Action Figure of the Vulture in Spider-Man: Homecoming leaked.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hm. Hmmmmmmm. That looks... bad.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Bane's been hitting the venom Red Bull, huh?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

John Wick's David Leitch is confirmed to direct Deadpool 2.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm kinda optimistic about it. One of my favorite aspects of Spiderman is that most of his villains are just some dude with gets a power, or invents a gizmo, and they use it to try to steal some money. They're basically what Spiderman would've been without Uncle Ben. So the fact that the Vulture is just wings plus normal clothes makes me hopeful that he's just gonna be a guy who wants to rob banks. And there won't be any doomsday weapons or secret conspiracies.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I support ppl who invent gizmos to steal money

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The MSJ posted:

John Wick's David Leitch is confirmed to direct Deadpool 2.

Gooooood

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That looks real bad

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He looks like a design rejected from an inFamous game.

poo poo, he might be a design rejected from an inFamous game. Who knows.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Haha alook at his little foot claws. Ahaha First thing that motherfucker did was steal his outfit from REI looking motherfucker. I'm the Vulture hold on lemme go mountain climbing first before I steal these diamonds.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I mean, clearly what we're establishing here is some perverse meritocracy where Peter Parker conveniently gets a suit designed by narcissistic-savant Tony Stark and all his enemies are coded with this underclass imperfection - like, this vague notice that their science is only "mad science" because it can't sell Coke.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Cameo posted:

He looks like a design rejected from an inFamous game.

poo poo, he might be a design rejected from an inFamous game. Who knows.
Wish Sucker Punch would get back to making a new InFamous game.

I trust Michael Keaton will make it work, when has he been outright bad? Jack Frost?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The Wrap claims a Green Lantern will show up on JL in a "key sequence"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

EXT. RUNWAY, DAY
We see a PILOT on a ladder peering into the cockpit of a FIGHTER JET.
Hal: Now where did I leave my keys...

End scene.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

There will be a Justice League character infected with smallpox. We will only find out who in the Green Lantern movie.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 19, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How is a guy with wings a threat to spiderman

or anyone with a gun

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I hope Marvel realizes the cool part about the Vulture is that he's a hosed-up old guy and cast him accordingly.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Doesn't he steal youth?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cardboard Box A posted:

Doesn't he steal youth?

Nah that's Silvermane some times.

See here's the brilliant thing about the Vulture and what makes him work in the comic. He's a loving old man whose super power is that he has more hate and spite than the goddamn Hulk.

Through sheer force of spite, this old frail man with no super powers regularly gets into fist fights with Spider-Man and wins. A Spider-Man who isn't holding back.

Through sheer hate, he stopped dying of illness, faked his death, broke out of prison, broke his replacement out of prison, gave his replacement who was a super muscular super hard rear end prisoner his own Vulture suit

Then fought him and Spider-Man across New York City to prove he was the one and only Vulture, and won that fight.

It's why he works despite his lovely design, or even because of it.

But no let's just make him a goon in a jacket stealing Falcon's tech while wearing a generic rear end helmet that's good too

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lobok posted:

EXT. RUNWAY, DAY
We see a PILOT on a ladder peering into the cockpit of a FIGHTER JET.
Hal: Now where did I leave my keys...

End scene.

Please let us stop trying to use the worst Earth GL in the movies.

Hal Jordan should have stayed dead in the comics and never been brought to the silver screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Hmm so we have Micheal Keaton wearing something like that? I don't know what to say but maybe if they make him just be all about hate maybe it doesn't matter how ragtag his costume is

• Locked thread