Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

twistedmentat posted:

Kirkman is incapable of writing characters who are likeable.

He had written some likeable side characters in Invincible before I gave up on that book because the main plot made me want to throw the book out a window... and then the other day at the library I picked up a more recent volume to see what might have happened to the likeable side characters.... :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

IUG posted:

Both Sam Wilson: Captain America and Squirrel Girl both had plots based on the Ultimate Wrestling League. And SW:CA referenced the Hostess pie ads. A good week.
SW: CA #15 canonized "NJPW" (New Japan Pro Wrestling), Ring of Honor, and Lucha Underground in Earth-616 :swoon:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
All the Toronto stuff in USG is 100% accurate

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Y'all got some sassy billboards

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chortles posted:

SW: CA #15 canonized "NJPW" (New Japan Pro Wrestling), Ring of Honor, and Lucha Underground in Earth-616 :swoon:

And ignored TNA

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

And ignored TNA

You wouldn't want it to feel dated by the time it hits trades.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

Y'all got some sassy billboards

Accurate. Accurate billboards.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

achillesforever6 posted:

Love the Gravity Falls reference on that coin thing hanging off the back of her hair

Sorry to burst your bubble. But without the cylinder it's just an eye of providence. That's like saying there is a Gravity Falls reference on a dollar bill. (In fact, that's probably also why he is called that way.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

All the Toronto stuff in USG is 100% accurate

And now to figure out how to immigrate to Canada.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

You wouldn't want it to feel dated by the time it hits trades.
To be fair Joaquin could simply not be a TNA fan... though after giving my post some more thought I'm now :psyduck: at figuring out how the hell WWE can operate in a milieu that hosts UCWF.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I really enjoyed Thanos. Hopefully the new Venom series that starts up next week is great too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I enjoyed Thanos too. Deodato doesn't bother me as much as most people but him drawing Thanos, Champion, and Corvus Glaive pretty much leaves him without an option for an actor insert like he does with Vincent Cassel and Doom. I couldn't really pick out his Starfox as anyone else either. One thing I really liked was the panel layout in the book.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 18, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I thought thanos was a pretty good start. The synthesis of the classic style and dot art with the more modern look was a little janky but i think the concept of doing so is good. The fact that they pointed out that thanos' look is based on THE CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS GAME BY WHOEVER made me curious as to whether that was like a mandate or something though. Is deodato an infamous tracer or something?

site fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 18, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

site posted:

I thought thanos was a pretty good start. The synthesis of the classic style and dot art with the more modern look was a little janky but i think the concept of doing so is good. The fact that they pointed out that thanos' look is THE CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS GAME BY WHOEVER made me curious as to whether that was like a mandate or something though. Is deodato an infamous tracer or something?

Latter-day Deodato is, yeah. He's not Greg Land bad but it's pretty obvious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My LCS forgot to put Old Man Logan in my pulls this week and I though "eh, who cares" and dropped it. This storyline has been so insanely boring. It completely lost the thread of OML adapting to this world that's not on the cusp of going to poo poo, to just, i dunno, weird and boring storylines.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that storyline ended this week

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The present day story I couldn't care less about (though the memory story is important for the character) but the art is great

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Read Inhumans: Attilan Rising. wtf that end :(

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
This week's issue of Old Man Logan was great, the fight against the big Akira monster was a especially cool visual. I am glad that we are moving onto the next arc though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Similar to Twisted and OML, I completely forgot about Spider-Man this week until people said that the cover was a complete lie regarding him meeting 616 Venom. Then I realised I just don't care enough about Miles solo stuff anymore to go back and pick it up, Bendis has done nothing interesting with him since Secret Wars ended and all the CIVIL WAR II: IT NEVER loving ENDS poo poo has bored me into indifference.

So yeah, when the book gets cancelled and we hardly ever see the poor kid again, I guess you can blame me but yawwwwwn.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Uncanny Inhumans. I feel like I missed an issue or something, because this storyline seemingly came out of nowhere. I actually had to check if I missed the previous issue, but then was reminded it was the Civil War tie-in. When did this character get killed off?

(I was confused, as like Schneider Heim, I also just read Attilan Rising recently.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Uncanny Inhumans. I feel like I missed an issue or something, because this storyline seemingly came out of nowhere. I actually had to check if I missed the previous issue, but then was reminded it was the Civil War tie-in. When did this character get killed off?

(I was confused, as like Schneider Heim, I also just read Attilan Rising recently.)

In Soule's previous Inhumans series. Named just Inhuman. Track it down, it's good!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh poo poo, Marvel Unlimited added Damage Control this week. I've always wanted to read those.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Enjoy an exclusive interview with the creative team behind America's upcoming ongoing.

I am very happy that the queer Latina series is being written by a queer Latina.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Waffleman_ posted:

Enjoy an exclusive interview with the creative team behind America's upcoming ongoing.

I am very happy that the queer Latina series is being written by a queer Latina.

gabby seems really cool! :) excited to check this out now

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sentinel Red posted:

Similar to Twisted and OML, I completely forgot about Spider-Man this week until people said that the cover was a complete lie regarding him meeting 616 Venom. Then I realised I just don't care enough about Miles solo stuff anymore to go back and pick it up, Bendis has done nothing interesting with him since Secret Wars ended and all the CIVIL WAR II: IT NEVER loving ENDS poo poo has bored me into indifference.

So yeah, when the book gets cancelled and we hardly ever see the poor kid again, I guess you can blame me but yawwwwwn.

Never buy a book you find boring just because it's supporting the character.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Well Solo's book is hot garbage and Slapstick's is surprisingly fun.

Is Foolkillers worth looking into?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Poor Missouri.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Irredeemable Ant-Man, eh? (Bottom row, center.)

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Is the Whizzer alive again? Or is this some kind of legacy deal?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Scrap Dragon posted:

I thought this was alternate reality or something.

USAgent got a new body during that weird lovely dark avengers/thunderblots thing right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Poor Missouri.

Same but everything about Missouri

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Hey Quasar IS from Wisconsin. These picks aren't as poo poo as I expected.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Friggin' Wasp.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Why does Oregon get Sunspot? Isn't he Brazilian?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm quite okay with Hellcat

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Scrap Dragon posted:

I thought Jack of Hearts was dead too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well Eric O'Grady is dead as well. He has an LMD that is a villain known as The Black Ant last I saw of him.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Why would Jane Thor be Alabama?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I suspect that is an in-joke about the provenance of Jason Aaron

• Locked thread