Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Klaaz posted:

I'm getting a bit bored now. Even after the patch the game is still way too easy. If you establish a decent base position, fend off the first AI surprise attacks you can lean back and turtle your way to whatever victory you feel like without any challenge.

Yeah this game definitely feels like it feeds into the "make a really efficient ____" (think Sim City crowd) as opposed to the "fight direct opposition" crowd. Being a member of the former I still find it very fun, and playing on Immortal or Deity is a challenge I'm sure I could win but I find it much less fun to do so then to have all my neat little cities with lots of pretty adjacency bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

homullus posted:

Maybe in the modern era the palisade changes to a chain link fence with a sign that says "Property Protected By Smith & Wesson"

With totally not Nazi flags and vote Trump signs

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Tom Tucker posted:

playing on Immortal or Deity is a challenge I'm sure I could win but I find it much less fun to do so then to have all my neat little cities with lots of pretty adjacency bonuses.

Have you tried deity? The AI starts with 3 settlers and 8 warriors so if you get unlucky and 1 or 3 civs spawn beside you, war could be coming by turn 17. I have a habit of playing 50-150 turns and then quitting because a) turns are taking too long, and b) I've basically won.

It sucks when your units are like 60% less effective than the AI, but it does make their warriors etc. a lot more intimidating. You'll still roll over them on an individual basis by mid game, and I've survived 3 wars at once but it takes so long to move the units around and the AI never really threatened my cities. Or by the time I get to their city walls with my siege, the attacks are ineffective because they've teched up again.

edit: Is there some guide to what the map settings do, or something to simulate seeds?
Sea level, does it affect rivers too or just the ocean? What is a balanced, standard, and legendary start position? Because when I play on deity, legendary = garbage start for me, amazing natural wonders for everyone else.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 18, 2016

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Niwrad posted:

Speaking of rainforests, if you can get Chichen Itza built in a city that has one, it's incredible.

It's a shame there aren't good improvements for rainforests like trading posts used to be.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

How's the new patch treating everybody so far?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

How's the new patch treating everybody so far?

i'm enjoying that pausing a private multiplayer game lets every shmuck in the lobby for the game join up with me and my pal :tipshat:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Medium Style posted:

How do you goons manage to found a religion on immortal or deity difficulty? Even if I rush for a prophet as hard as I can (after some slingers), I probably won't get one in time. When I do, my religion gets wiped out almost immediately by missionaries.

Is there a trick or a build order that works, or do you just let it go and disable religious victories?

Use Saladin. He gets a great prophet no matter what. Declare war on whoever sends missionaries in after you setup your religion and wipe them out.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone feel like the Civs are not as targeted toward a victory type as before? Felt like in V each Civ played toward a specific victory type. But in VI I don't see a ton of differences in them. Their specialties mainly seem geared toward culture or religion. No one seems to stand out all that much in science or domination.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Does anyone feel like the Civs are not as targeted toward a victory type as before? Felt like in V each Civ played toward a specific victory type. But in VI I don't see a ton of differences in them. Their specialties mainly seem geared toward culture or religion. No one seems to stand out all that much in science or domination.

I'd say Germany and Scythia stand out there. But the issue with those win types is being good at them makes you good, period, at everything. Culture and Religion are not inherently as good as Science and Production, unless going for those specific wins.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I would have said Scythia and Sumeria are super-geared toward early-game Domination.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Klaaz posted:

I'm getting a bit bored now. Even after the patch the game is still way too easy. If you establish a decent base position, fend off the first AI surprise attacks you can lean back and turtle your way to whatever victory you feel like without any challenge.

play mp

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What's the visual indicator of which hex your city will expand to next? I'm not seeing anything.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ahhahahahahha. Going for a religious victory in my game as Saladin... My nearest neighbor Egypt is also shooting for that. Now, I manage to get one of those Apostles that has a promotion for triple conversion strength and convert their holy city and also their next city over to my religion, and of course this pisses off Egypt...

Well, they send a horde of missionaries and apostles my way in response and I buckle down for a theological fight, except I notice my apostles can't fight theirs for some reason. At first I think it's a bug, but then I realize...I converted their only cities capable of producing religious units to my religion. Their units and mine are the same religion, so there's no need (or ability) for them to fight! Hahahahahaha.

Time to sweep the globe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Actually, thinking of Barbarians as rebels and such rather than indigenous people not part of your civ makes it a lot less problematic.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

What's the visual indicator of which hex your city will expand to next? I'm not seeing anything.

You should see it in the screen when you go to buy a tile

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Actually, thinking of Barbarians as rebels and such rather than indigenous people not part of your civ makes it a lot less problematic.

I prefer to think of them as bandits and such for the same reason.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I apologize if this has been asked a bunch of times but is there an extended eras mod for Civ6?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Speedball posted:

I prefer to think of them as bandits and such for the same reason.

Bandits in the middle of nowhere, who upon finding a city raise a large army to attack it? If they were just bandits/rebels, wouldn't they already know where your cities are? And bandits don't generally sack cities...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They rarely attack my cities but they go CRAZY for my trade routes. Banditry!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Barbarians are a catch-all term for bandits, brigands, plunderers, steppe nomad hordes, insurgents, revolutionaries and other rebel scum, depending on circumstances and era.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Holy poo poo 51k players on Civ6 and 37k on Civ5. Grats!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It's turn 210 and Kongo just entered the information age. fml

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I am literally loving stuck on the Amenities thing. I have stone / dairy / marble all with improvements constructed upon them, and still by the time I get the capital to 5 pop or other city to 3 immediately I am at -1 Amenities. This literally even happens on Chieftain mode. Not even happiness in Civ 5 was this annoying. I keep getting frustrated as hell and want to give up but I love Civ.

Any tips at all to get Amenities to go up? In any way? As it looks like I am hosed and stuck behind even the lowest level AI by turn 50 or so when the Amenities penalties begin to destroy me.

I don't understand at all and since there doesn't seem to be an information panel as to just why I keep getting shitcanned, amenity wise.

Anyone have any recommendations at all? Or should I just give up and keep to 5. Otherwise it seems fine so far, but goddamn, even on chieftan difficulty I still get hosed by Amenities.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

du -hast posted:

I am literally loving stuck on the Amenities thing. I have stone / dairy / marble all with improvements constructed upon them, and still by the time I get the capital to 5 pop or other city to 3 immediately I am at -1 Amenities. This literally even happens on Chieftain mode. Not even happiness in Civ 5 was this annoying. I keep getting frustrated as hell and want to give up but I love Civ.

Any tips at all to get Amenities to go up? In any way? As it looks like I am hosed and stuck behind even the lowest level AI by turn 50 or so when the Amenities penalties begin to destroy me.

I don't understand at all and since there doesn't seem to be an information panel as to just why I keep getting shitcanned, amenity wise.

Anyone have any recommendations at all? Or should I just give up and keep to 5. Otherwise it seems fine so far, but goddamn, even on chieftan difficulty I still get hosed by Amenities.

You need developed luxury resources. Stone and Dairy are bonus resources.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Even with Marble? Which is a luxury resource.

So in other words, I literally have to start, play to turn 20ish, realize there are no luxury resources in sight, start over, ad nauseum until I am able to get a start locale with like 1000 luxury resources?

I have like 2000 hours on Civ 5 so this is driving me insane.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
You could also build entertainment complexes and their chain of buildings. There are a few policies and follower beliefs that raise amenities too.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

du -hast posted:

So in other words, I literally have to start, play to turn 20ish, realize there are no luxury resources in sight, start over, ad nauseum until I am able to get a start locale with like 1000 luxury resources?

I'm pretty sure you're guaranteed to have at least 2-3 within distance of your capital's starting position.

1 luxury provides amenities for 4 cities. If you have 5-8 you need 2 of a specific luxury to keep all your cities happy. So remember to think in factors of 4 when settling cities. 8 seems to be the sweet spot for me by the mid/early late game. Going over 4 is when you need to be careful in the early game.

If you have, for example, 3 cocoa and 4 cities, you can trade 2 cocoa for other luxuries to have 3 amenities in all 4 instead. Only 1 if you have 5-8 cities.

Outside of that, a district or religion can alleviate amenity issues in some cities if necessary.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

du -hast posted:

Going negative on amenities is pretty normal, it sucks but it's not a huge deal either. Also you will get access to the entertainment complex pretty quickly and that allows you to make buildings that boost your amenities by a lot. When you click on a city click on the first icon, the one that looks like a scroll/paper, that will give you info on amenities and a bunch of other stuff.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

1 luxury provides amenities for 4 cities. If you have 5-8 you need 2 of a specific luxury to keep all your cities happy. So remember to think in factors of 4 when settling cities. 8 seems to be the sweet spot for me by the mid/early late game. Going over 4 is when you need to be careful in the early game.

If you have, for example, 3 cocoa and 4 cities, you can trade 2 cocoa for other luxuries to have 3 amenities in all 4 instead. Only 1 if you have 5-8 cities.

No, duplicate luxuries are useless except as trade fodder. It's 4 cities each type, period.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a way to get a map that is a mix of continents and islands? I mostly play continents but I wish there would be an island or two in between to setup a city.

I've also noticed that making resources more abundant makes the game go better.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 19, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Niwrad posted:

Is there a way to get a map that is a mix of continents and islands? I mostly play continents but I wish there would be an island or two in between to setup a city.

I've also noticed that making resources more abundant makes the game go better.

Give Fractal a try and see if you like it.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I like how they took global happiness and turned it into something more unintuitive and equally frustrating.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

eth0.n posted:

No, duplicate luxuries are useless except as trade fodder. It's 4 cities each type, period.

Whelp, disregard what I said, then. Trade all luxuries you have more than one of, but make sure you have enough reserves to trade if you grow to 5/9/13 cities.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

LLSix posted:

Give Fractal a try and see if you like it.

Sounds good. Is shuffle just one of the map types chosen at random or just a mix of everything?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Well, bought it on GMG because the price is probably about as good as it'll get.

Managed to boot it after switching my graphics switching auto bullshit to "always use the friggen graphics card wtf" and...yeah it runs pretty slow, even on settings tuned way down.

Is it just me or is the "right click on a space" functionality...less good than civ V? Or is that just a function of my computer sucks? It feels very nonresponsive, takes a while to even acknowledge I'm clicking somewhere, etc.

A whole lot of systems to learn, but that's part of the fun of a new civ game. Definitely pondering finally getting a new computer though, this one's petering out and civ 6 was kinda my "see how it does in order to decide whether to get a black friday deal" benchmark.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Deltasquid posted:

Whelp, disregard what I said, then. Trade all luxuries you have more than one of, but make sure you have enough reserves to trade if you grow to 5/9/13 cities.

No, if you have cotton, it'll cover 4 cities. Having 2 cotton improved doesn't cover 8 cities. When you get to 5, you'll need another luxury for all 5 to have 1 amenity.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Decrepus posted:

I like how they took global happiness and turned it into something more unintuitive and equally frustrating.
Amenities are pretty easy to understand (granted, once someone tells you, it's not obvious in game) and are no where near as crippling as global happiness.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I really enjoyed global happiness because I felt it was easy to see in the game and it didn't make me feel like I should be out founding more cities.

But I'm not an expander and far prefer a few cities over a lot.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Taear posted:

I really enjoyed global happiness because I felt it was easy to see in the game and it didn't make me feel like I should be out founding more cities.

But I'm not an expander and far prefer a few cities over a lot.

Totally agreed.

Ok am gonna give it another try, thanks for the info everyone.

BTW does anyone know: how do amenity penalties compare with global happiness? I assume its equally or near-equally crippling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

du -hast posted:

BTW does anyone know: how do amenity penalties compare with global happiness? I assume its equally or near-equally crippling?

Yep. And eventually you'll get a really horrible rebellion of a big pile of current age barbarians.
It feels harder to control than it did in other games, I guess.