Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
http://blogs.cfr.org/zenko/2016/11/10/us-airstrikes-in-iraq-and-syria-versus-drone-strikes-in-pakistan-yemen-and-somalia/

Interesting stats, but the thing that struck me was that the US has killed 45,000 people in 12,000 drone strikes in just a 2 year period in Iraq and Syria alone. That's way more than I ever imagined, jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
12000 air strikes, not drone strikes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

12000 air strikes, not drone strikes.
I don't think we have that many drones.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grouchio posted:

I don't think we have that many drones.

You get to keep the drone after a drone strike.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

You get to keep the drone after a drone strike.
When you think about it a drone is just a reusable cruise missile.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Collateral Damage posted:

When you think about it a drone is just a reusable cruise missile.

That makes no sense. It's an unmanned recon or strike aircraft. It's nothing like a cruise missile. I mean, except that people don't pilot cruise missiles.

Hey does anyone know where I can find a dataset of all the casualties caused by the USA in the last thirty years?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Trump's pick for National Security Adviser is Michael Flynn.

Interview with Washington Post

Interview with Der Spiegel

Testimony to House on Iran nuclear deal (PDF, pro click)

We're going to work with Russia & Assad against ISIS. He also advocates leaning on Russia to lean on Iran.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

TildeATH posted:

Hey does anyone know where I can find a dataset of all the casualties caused by the USA in the last thirty years?

That list doesn't exist and never will. You'll have to settle for adding up a number of estimates yourself.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Svartvit posted:

That list doesn't exist and never will. You'll have to settle for adding up a number of estimates yourself.

So basically we do the same thing with our wars that we do with police brutality?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Schizotek posted:

I didn't say the ICC is a bad thing, but its been made pretty clear over the years that it wasn't made to prosecute white people so racial bias is definitely present in the way it operates.

You're just being stupid.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Schizotek posted:

I didn't say the ICC is a bad thing, but its been made pretty clear over the years that it wasn't made to prosecute white people so racial bias is definitely present in the way it operates.

List of people indicted in the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gobbeldygook posted:

Trump's pick for National Security Adviser is Michael Flynn.

Interview with Washington Post

Interview with Der Spiegel

Testimony to House on Iran nuclear deal (PDF, pro click)

We're going to work with Russia & Assad against ISIS. He also advocates leaning on Russia to lean on Iran.

You realize he's debating between Rudy Giuliani and John Bolton for secretary of state, right? Don't try and draw too many conclusions based on a person he appoints to something here and there. A lot of them have contradictory opinions, so all there really is to say at this point is that Trump is going to have a pretty diverse cabinet of every shade of right wing you can think of in it.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 18, 2016

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

You realize he's debating between Rudy Giuliani and John Bolton for secretary of state, right? Don't try and draw too many conclusions based on a person he appoints to something here and there. A lot of them have contradictory opinions, so all there really is to say at this point is that Trump is going to have a pretty diverse cabinet of every shade of right wing you can think of in it.

Flynn's been his top foreign policy guy throughout the campaign, so there's not much reason to dismiss the likelihood that he's going to be a person with real influence as national security adviser if Trump doesn't care about the obvious conflict of interest issues that have become apparent. Animosity for Iran (including suggestions that regime change should be our policy) does seem to be pretty consistent among everyone he's looking at too, so we do have some idea of what policies his administration might push. Of course Trump may disregard that advice, as Obama did with Syria, but right now it looks like people who supported him in the hope that we'd avoid further entanglements in the Middle East will probably be disappointed.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, a National Security Advisor can be an extremely powerful position especially when they have a president's ear. We will see who the SoS is but I could see Flynn having a lot of influence on foreign policy at this point.

As far as Iran, it is an interesting issue since there is a de-facto Iran-Chinese-Russian alliance at this point and neither China or Russia is willing to give up on Iran unless they get something really juicy.

That said, I could see a possible scenario of US foreign policy being incoherent on a scale it has never been before. How do you pick on China or Iran without Russia being involved or vice-verse?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How do you suppose Trump would deal with the Middle East in order?

1. Dealing with Turkey
2. Working with the Kurds
3. Support Israel or Palestine?
4. Destroying ISIS
5. Working with Russia and Syria
6. Mention Bolton's Sunnistan idea
7. Supporting Egypt
8. Maintain Saudi relations?
9. BENGHAZI (Libya)
10. To nuke or not to nuke?
11. You want to fight Iran? What would Russia say?
12. You want to invade Iraq again?
13. Bannon vs Israel
14. How to deal with Yemen
15. What to do with Afghanistan?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Why don't you tell us what you think about all of those and then we'll talk about it?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

Jfc what would he even nuke?

Raqqah?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

rear end struggle posted:

Jfc what would he even nuke?

Raqqah?
Would he want to nuke Tehran?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Grouchio posted:

1. Dealing with Turkey
2. Working with the Kurds
3. Support Israel or Palestine?
4. Destroying ISIS
5. Working with Russia and Syria
6. Mention Bolton's Sunnistan idea
7. Supporting Egypt
8. Maintain Saudi relations?
9. BENGHAZI (Libya)
11. You want to fight Iran? What would Russia say?
12. You want to invade Iraq again?
13. Bannon vs Israel
14. How to deal with Yemen
15. What to do with Afghanistan?

1. Pardon
2. Whey whey unlikely
3. Yes
4. What about IS, ISIL and ISG?
5. See 4
6. You're just reading the marginalia now
7. Granaries
8. No homo hand-holding
9. I've run out
10. No more funny things to say
11. What's that, they weren't funny to begin with?
12. Well, excuse me, at least I'm not the one doing my homework
13. On a dead gay comedy forum
14. Seriously, though the US is not going to change its Yemen position
15. No just kidding, Die Yemen Die

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Because his answers to the weekly discussion questions have to be submitted to Blackboard in 20 minutes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

suboptimal posted:

Because his answers to the weekly discussion questions have to be submitted to Blackboard in 20 minutes.
This is an outline. You use blackboard too?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

This is an outline. You use blackboard too?

lol

stop asking this thread to do your homework

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

kustomkarkommando posted:

Yeah the American Service-Members' Protection Act, passed with bipartisan support, authorized the US government to use "all means necessary and appropriate to bring about the release of any U.S. or allied personnel being detained or imprisoned by, on behalf of, or at the request of the International Criminal Court.""

Also the U.S. tried to pressure every nation on Earth into explicitly exempting Americans from ICC jurisdiction, burning a lot of diplomatic goodwill out of imagined concern over a country not cooperating with us and of course our Special Forces failing to defeat the Dutch. They got 102 countries to do it.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

In news, the bomb diffusing defusing guys continue to have the worst jobs ever:
https://twitter.com/Afarin_Mamosta/status/799673061796524032

quote:

SDF/YPG have captured an ISIS SVBIED & are defusing it, north of #Raqqa as part of the operation to liberate #Raqqa from ISIS terrorists.
Whatever these guys are paid, it's not enough.

Advances are still happening:
https://twitter.com/raqqa1campaign/status/799653464959811584

quote:

#Breaking
#Raqqa
#SDF liberate Tholoth Khnez,and the process of cleaning within Tel Alsmen
Separates the fighters from Al Raqqa only 25 km.
Updated maps of the Raqqa area have been a little difficult to find, so here's a couple of slightly older ones with English names for the bvillages:

Tholoth Khnez/Tel Alsmen (Thulth Khunayz/Tall Al-Samen on the map) are about a third of the way to Raqqa from the old front-line.

Mozi posted:

Why don't you tell us what you think about all of those and then we'll talk about it?
Yeah, come on Grouchio, try to contribute to the thread and make it a discussion, not just "help me with homework plz". Some of those topics are legit interesting (the thread's discussed the second one a little already), but discussion takes two sides to happen.
Insert bad joke about Syria here.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 19, 2016

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Assad bombed the cats.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cat-sanctuary-aleppo-syria-bombed_us_582c8c1ae4b099512f802121

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Saladin Rising posted:

In news, the bomb diffusing guys continue to have the worst jobs ever:

Defuse

The bomb diffusing guys are the guys driving the SVBIEDs.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

TildeATH posted:

Defuse

Imagine I posted the GIF of that Syrian guy hitting an unexploded artillery shell with a pipe.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Every hospital in east Aleppo has been knocked out of action.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

TildeATH posted:

Defuse

Noted, and corrected. Thanks.

I found an updated North Raqqa map, it's oriented south-to-north so that Raqqa is at the top of the map:

Apparently Tel Alsmen/Til Sim'an was a bit of an ISIL hub; photos and videos coming out of it:
https://twitter.com/DefenseUnits/status/799719336017620992

quote:

Terror flags downed, Syrian Democratic Forces #SDF in newly-liberated Til Sim'an district north of #Raqqa, #Syria:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KLEkzrDtSI

https://twitter.com/AFPphoto/status/799548040394797058

quote:

SYRIA - Fighters from Kurdish-Arab alliance hold a position in Tall as Samn near front line north of IS group bastion. By
@Delilsouleman

Other notes, Kurdish twitter definitely seems to be upping the propaganda game even further:
https://twitter.com/AhmedoKurdi/status/799696524938645504

quote:

American veteran volunteer Joe Pollard from #Alabama: "I believe in a free Kurdistan and a freedom from the oppression from Daesh".

https://twitter.com/AhmedoKurdi/status/799711393067008000

quote:

Another American veteran Jason Smith from #Oregon sold his things and gave up his engineering job to fight for Kurdistan.

https://twitter.com/DefenseUnits/status/799589437848125440

quote:

Sema Reqqa, a brave young woman from #Raqqa fights along her comrades to liberate their city from #Daesh/#ISIS terrorists. #Syria #SDF
The YPJ stuff is standard, what's interesting is that they've been emphasizing the foreign volunteers little heavier recently. It's likely a way to solidify the "we're just like you" idea; can't get much better at that than "hey lookie here, we've got (white) Americans working and fighting with us".

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Grouchio what the gently caress do you go to school for. I need to know so I can avoid anything you touch in the future because you most likely fobbed your work out to some forum.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Henceforth, the United States is against the Assad regime and will begin bombing shortly.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Henceforth, the United States is against the Assad regime and will begin bombing shortly.

If you thought jihadists were crazy, wait until you see the Pet Island militia.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

I'm sure the PKK will take the job of "avenging" very seriously especially when it comes to Arab civilians.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Saudis announced a unilateral ceasefire in Yemen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-38036254

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Telsa Cola posted:

Grouchio what the gently caress do you go to school for. I need to know so I can avoid anything you touch in the future because you most likely fobbed your work out to some forum.

He's writing his application for a State Department position.

The outline already has him guaranteed an assistant secretary job, if he can come up with some answers, he'll be promoted.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Saladin Rising posted:

The YPJ stuff is standard, what's interesting is that they've been emphasizing the foreign volunteers little heavier recently. It's likely a way to solidify the "we're just like you" idea; can't get much better at that than "hey lookie here, we've got (white) Americans working and fighting with us".

Might be a message for Trump, too. "Hey, White Christian Americans are on our side, so don't abandon us."

chitoryu12 posted:

Animals are innocent in a way no human can be. You'll always find someone claiming that the people in a school, hospital, or bakery were actually terrorists; but cats and dogs cannot be suspected of having nihilistic political ideology. So it's a lot harder for Assad's media brigade to spin this as somehow a righteous victory against terrorists.

TildeATH posted:

He's writing his application for a State Department position.

The outline already has him guaranteed an assistant secretary job, if he can come up with some answers, he'll be promoted.

Honestly, couldn't be worse than anyone that Trump is likely to appoint. The SADADMETOD Gestalt advisor is probably better informed than anyone Trump would listen to.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 19, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm sure the PKK will take the job of "avenging" very seriously especially when it comes to Arab civilians.

Oh you need to try harder than that to get people angry enough at your wrongness to engage you.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

FAUXTON posted:

Oh you need to try harder than that to get people angry enough at your wrongness to engage you.

It's really great that people who care so much about Turkey's treatment of Kurds don't seem to mind when the PKK enacts the same campaign on the other side of the border.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It's really great that people who care so much about Turkey's treatment of Kurds don't seem to mind when the PKK enacts the same campaign on the other side of the border.

Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only ethnic cleasing I've heard about has been one done by the Peshmerga and Shia militias.

• Locked thread