Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mordja posted:

Malazan: Total War.

There's a Malazan mod for Dominions 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

V for Vegas posted:

There's a Malazan mod for Dominions 4

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I stand by Bronze Age TW being the best idea. :colbert:

What about Mexica: Total War? It's even got a big endgame threat built-in.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah some kind of Mythology Total War would be aces too. I'd be a fun mix of the fantasy of Warhammer and the realism of like, Rome.

Yeah, you could have human dudes with like, halberds or peasants with crossbows facing down half-man/half-beast people or maybe giant towering colossals with one eye who hurl stones!

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Any pointers for Belegors campaign? It's much harder than the standard dwarf start.

Are rangers spam friendly as quarrelers?

Nothing can kill your ghost thanes. Very very few things can call belegar or the runepriest. Go super light on infantry, heavy on rangers. Use your heroes/lord to tank infinite goblins/boyz while racking up kills with the ranged. This way, you'll have an unbeatable, relatively cheap stack that takes almost no attrition to make progress with. And yeah, build level 2 garrisons in your minor provinces.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Seriously, build walls, this cannot be overstated, Dwarfs on walls (aka DOW) are one of the most powerful things in this game.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I wonder if a good Wood Elf strategy might be to get on a boat and immediately book it up to Norsica. It feels like the norsican roster of light infantry and horse archers would be very vulnerable to a foot archer heavy faction, there are no walled cities up there, and no one will contest you for the lovely territory. You could get there in maybe 5 turns, forest-pathing over the mountains to the Riek and then boating up.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Smiling Knight posted:

Nothing can kill your ghost thanes. Very very few things can call belegar or the runepriest. Go super light on infantry, heavy on rangers. Use your heroes/lord to tank infinite goblins/boyz while racking up kills with the ranged. This way, you'll have an unbeatable, relatively cheap stack that takes almost no attrition to make progress with. And yeah, build level 2 garrisons in your minor provinces.

Be very careful about engaging enemy lords with your ghost thanes, especially ones that have picked up a few levels. If they've managed to get their hands on any of the magic weapons that gives them magic damage they will rip your thanes to shreds almost before you have a chance to react.

Use the thanes to bully normal units while belegar kicks the crap out of the enemy lords.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Kicking off the fourth goonbowl (I think) is my matches with brocretin:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lw044jisikjk5ev/Sammut%20v%20Brocretin.zip?dl=0

Round 1 - Beastmen (Sammut) vs Chaos (Brocretin)
Round 2 - Vampire Counts (Sammut) vs Empire (Brocretin)
Round 3 - Crooked Moon (Sammut) vs Dwarves (Brocretin)

Results:
Sammut 2 Brocretin 1

Well played and good luck in your next rounds.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Trujillo posted:

Results:
Sammut 2 Brocretin 1

This was a great time! If anyone else wants to play me this evening, I'll be available for a few hours.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

But what if I want to rule as insane evil wizard ?
That was tried once. She ended up losing all her powers and regrets being a playable option immensely.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Stephen9001 posted:

Seriously, build walls, this cannot be overstated, Dwarfs on walls (aka DOW) are one of the most powerful things in this game.

Playing dwarves in sieges are one of the few things that trick me into thinking I'm good at this game.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

fnordcircle posted:

Playing dwarves in sieges are one of the few things that trick me into thinking I'm good at this game.

Trust me, I know the feeling. How else do you think I came to that realization?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Krazyface posted:

I stand by Bronze Age TW being the best idea. :colbert:

What about Mexica: Total War? It's even got a big endgame threat built-in.

Warring States period China is a close 2nd.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Some really nice dude bought me the wood elves DLC because he likes the settlements mod. This game continues to be cool and good

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
If they're going to do a pike & shot era game, they really need to sit down and figure out how to do mixed formations properly.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Drunk in Space posted:

If they're going to do a pike & shot era game, they really need to sit down and figure out how to do mixed formations properly.

Pike and shot tactics didn't really use mixed formations in the sense that you had pikemen in one rank and arquebusiers in another. Actually it functioned somewhat closer to the detachment system of the Empire in the tabletop game.

Where you have an overall army formation that's made up of mix of pikemen and arquebusier units (battalions, regiments, what have you), but not mixed together within the same unit with the exception that there was close tactical cooperation between pikemen and what you might call attached arquebusier units that would maneuver close by, often on the flanks of, a pikeman unit to obtain an advantageous firing position while protected by the pikemen, who could maneuver to intercept or charge threats to the arquebusiers.

Would have been nice if the Empire had something to portray the detachment mechanic they use in the tabletop, which really can produce a result very similar to historical pike and shot, though you can use a formation like depicted in the game without any special mechanic and have it work, at least against the AI at least (the trick kind of is to adjust the length and depth of infantry formation in response to enemy movements and move the handgunners into positions where they can fire at enemies engaged with the infantry), you do have a problem in that Empire infantry kind of lack the staying power to really pull this off, especially as none of them really are pikemen.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
CA answered a question about how the Wood Elves' Amber resource will work. It's not a currency like gold, more like the food mechanic in TW: Attila:

quote:

[...] Owning amber is a constant effect. You have 1 amber. You don't really gain 1 amber per turn, but rather just own 1 amber.
Owning a settlement that gives you 1 amber and then purchasing a tech or unit that costs 1 amber means that you'll be on 0 amber. If you lose a settlement you'll be on -1 amber and suffer severe penalties.
To help, you can always disband the unit that cost the Amber, but you can't reverse tech's so you gotta be careful you don't lose your amber settlements.
Also, you can ally with non-wood elf factions to gain their Amber, as they have no use for it and so just give it to you. Really makes you want to help your allies and protect them.
It's actually really cool and adds a new dynamic to the campaign. You'll get to see an in depth explanation of the mechanics before release from us next week

That's interesting, and of course stops you from conquering a territory for its amber, buying up a unit or tech then just abandoning it. You're going to need to protect your outposts (or strike up an alliance with Bretonnia ASAP)

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
gently caress, I want to play Wood Elves already. Glad to see that amber units aren't a permanent loss of amber.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Trujillo posted:

Results:
Sammut 2 Brocretin 1

Trujillo's cushioning of his Bestigor with a screen of cheaper infantry worked well against the Chaos infantry line, but he also had a compositional advantage in that brocretin seemed to have fit out his infantry for crushing a horde of Gors and Ungors rather than Best Gors. brocretin's flying squad could have gone after the Gorebulls instead of the Cygor, since Gorebulls will definitely kill monsters if they aren't put down first.

Does anybody know if RoR artillery get accuracy bonuses from veterancy? I heard that they don't, which is why I never use the Hammer of the Witches. Plus, I would always target Blood Knights with a cannon over anything else. brocretin brought the great anti-VC combo of fire wizard and KotBS, and Trujillo's early expenditure of his dire wolves probably cost him any chance of putting a stop to the knightly rampage since KotBS will thrash Blood Knights 2v1. A horde of blazing sun knights is basically the worst thing that a bunch of dire wolves could randomly bump into while traversing a forest.

Not really surprised that Greenskins vs Dorfs turned into another beatdown.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Aside from a few LLs, generic lords, and heroes the wood elf roster is 100% complete, weird. So their only expansion will be among the leaders or original units not in the table top.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Just won a legendary Chaos campaign the same turn that Chaos Gathering finally managed to catch up to me. Razed Nuln to the ground for the victory, then hit continue and the next turn Sarthorael obliterated my stacks.
haha gently caress you Tzeench! Too slow!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
or maybe... just as planned????

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I had a third horde off razing Marienburg-controlled Bretonnia that would have won it for me. Didn't need them there because the Bret faction was technically dead, but I thought it would be more lore friendly to destroy Couronne and I thought Chaos Gathering wasn't coming for me because it had been twenty turns.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

e: nm, can't read

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Finally capture 8 Peaks as Skarsnik after a long hard campaign that took forever so I was at least hoping for a small video or achievement as reward for my efforts. Nope, just a pop up box.

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 19, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Randarkman posted:

Pike and shot tactics didn't really use mixed formations in the sense that you had pikemen in one rank and arquebusiers in another. Actually it functioned somewhat closer to the detachment system of the Empire in the tabletop game.

Depending on the formation/time, you could get that from a tercio where the arquebusiers are sheltering in the pike square.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.facebook.com/TotalWar/videos/1238301846245013/

Deepwood Scouts

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Don't hit people with your bow.

Never look after nothing, never got nothing, as my grandad used to say.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Mukip posted:

Trujillo's cushioning of his Bestigor with a screen of cheaper infantry worked well against the Chaos infantry line, but he also had a compositional advantage in that brocretin seemed to have fit out his infantry for crushing a horde of Gors and Ungors rather than Best Gors. brocretin's flying squad could have gone after the Gorebulls instead of the Cygor, since Gorebulls will definitely kill monsters if they aren't put down first.

Yeah, my takeaway from that battle was mostly that that build was a bad choice. I picked a list expecting Ungors and Gors and Trujillo called my bluff in a big way there, which is probably somewhat a result of my not owning Beastmen and not really understanding them. Also manticores need encouragement, their morale is more fragile than one might expect!

Mukip posted:

Does anybody know if RoR artillery get accuracy bonuses from veterancy? I heard that they don't, which is why I never use the Hammer of the Witches. Plus, I would always target Blood Knights with a cannon over anything else. brocretin brought the great anti-VC combo of fire wizard and KotBS, and Trujillo's early expenditure of his dire wolves probably cost him any chance of putting a stop to the knightly rampage since KotBS will thrash Blood Knights 2v1. A horde of blazing sun knights is basically the worst thing that a bunch of dire wolves could randomly bump into while traversing a forest.

CA confirmed RoR artillery doesn't get the full veterancy bonuses they should have, ostensibly because it would be broken as hell. Also yeah, that battle was a build/counter-build situation. My choice of position on L'Anguille also helped a lot by mitigating the VC's natural mobility advantage and allowing me to hide things like Greatswords and KotBS's. The build is very solid (since it's just my interpolation of your as-of-yet undefeated VC counterbuild), but I think I will abandon the Hammer in favor of a standard cannon and some extra reserves in future. I will say the Arch Lector acquitted himself well!

Mukip posted:

Not really surprised that Greenskins vs Dorfs turned into another beatdown.

It could have not, but I have no clue what I was thinking trying to vanguard deploy Rangers vs. Crooked Moon. The theme of those three battles (IMO) is shonky-as-hell flank engagements, probably as a result of deployment habits acquired from hundreds of hours of campaign.

Still, I don't think I've ever had as much fun losing in a PvP game before! I think I acquitted myself reasonably well for someone who's never played MP and I'm looking forward to playing more games!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fnordcircle posted:

Yeah, you could have human dudes with like, halberds or peasants with crossbows facing down half-man/half-beast people or maybe giant towering colossals with one eye who hurl stones!
people used to complain that total war games were just dudes with spears vs dudes with swords vs cavalry mans, now we'll be complaining that giants and minotaurs are too passé.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mans posted:

people used to complain that total war games were just dudes with spears vs dudes with swords vs cavalry mans, now we'll be complaining that giants and minotaurs are too passé.

Total War: Sacrifice.

Make it happen CA, wrest it from the corpse of Interplay.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Mythology total war would be cool since you could combine the Fantasy stuff with Historical flavor in a way that's impossible with Warhammer. Even the Empire, the most vanilla of factions, is still high fantasy as hell.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Splatoon: Total War.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Hmm, is this the first unit with precursor projectiles in total warhams?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was saying in another thread, if Creative Assembly manages to pull off archer units that can fire and move at the same time like wood elves, they could definitely take a stab at the more mobile warfare of late 19th century, early 20th WW1 combat.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Some D&D Forgotten Realms setting would work too - but on the battle map it would not look that different from what we already have with Warhammer.

Priests and more cleric magic would be cool though....

But what if I want to rule as insane evil wizard ?

Dominions.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

sullat posted:

Dominions.

Dominions / Conquest of Elysium is even more of an insane grab bag of history, fantasy, and mythology than Warhammer. It would be perfect!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I was saying in another thread, if Creative Assembly manages to pull off archer units that can fire and move at the same time like wood elves, they could definitely take a stab at the more mobile warfare of late 19th century, early 20th WW1 combat.

I agree in that they could in the eras between the US Civil War and WW1, mostly since I just watched Zulu again recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

They always had those types of units... they just rode horses usually.

• Locked thread