Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spookyelectric posted:

If they ever did, I never noticed.

There's a thread on their forums from two years ago where people are asking why the Fractal Leaderboards were never implemented, so...

Maybe you just found some rear end in a top hat players?

Because Fractals take some thought and domain awareness, armchair generals love it because they can scream at "stupid" people.
Goons run them all the time and it's wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Didn't RIFT also go full-on pay-to-win with max-level gear in their real-money store?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Pierson posted:

Didn't RIFT also go full-on pay-to-win with max-level gear in their real-money store?

You might be thinking of AION. Or hell, maybe RIFT too.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pesterchum posted:

You might be thinking of AION. Or hell, maybe RIFT too.

It happened in RIFT but that was somewhat later than release (or even the first expansion).

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Rift's death is a shame because the game was pretty unique and cool at launch but everything it did well at launch has been done by other MMOs since, and it suffered a lot with age. The comment about Trion wanting to milk an mmo to fund other games was spot on, but they never managed to make a successful game, so their only option was just go back, go frito, and milk Rift for what they could.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

To be fair, I don't think Rift launched on Steam, so Steam numbers may not be the best metric.

Also, we're comparing Rift, a game that's been out for a number of years and one of the few modern MMOs to even have expansions, to Wildstar, a game that was DOA and is unlikely to last long enough to see an expansion.

That said, Rift never delivered on the whole, well, "Rift" thing enough to keep me playing. Outside that it was just WoW with a dreary world (although the backstory wasn't bad) and an interesting class system.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

To be fair, I don't think Rift launched on Steam, so Steam numbers may not be the best metric.

Neither did Wildstar and the Steam player numbers are very comparable :eng101:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

That said, Rift never delivered on the whole, well, "Rift" thing enough to keep me playing.

I thought the Rift system was good! Dynamic events that require people to come clear them out (and maybe you can solo them) and eventually culminating in 5 man or sometimes raid content was a cool idea for leveling. It probably should've been the focus but I guess it's too hard to build a world without having generic punctuation mark questing or something.

Eventually they added a quick play style button, where you'd get put into a group that would just roam around zones and clear Rifts and group versions of quests. I thought that was actually a lot of fun, but it had a serious flaw in that 90% of the time you tried it it just put you into one of the two starter zones because most people trying the game were random newbies trying it because it was free.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

CoffeeBooze posted:

That's such a shame. When Rift launched it was a pretty good game and Trion promised a different, more customer friendly approach to MMO development. They did pretty well at first too but clearly something went horribly wrong. Now days Rift has possibly the worst cash shop in a western MMO, Trion brought the western world the dumpster fire that is ArchAge, and actually promising titles like Defiance were left to wither on the vine and die. Did they have some kind of drastic shakeup in management while I wasnt paying attention or something?

I wish someone made Defiance into a single player ARPG, i found the combat really fun and the bug guns were so cool :(

Trion had a lot of potential with that game, and Rift too, and squandered it all.

At least the show was good.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

That said, Rift never delivered on the whole, well, "Rift" thing enough to keep me playing. Outside that it was just WoW with a dreary world (although the backstory wasn't bad) and an interesting class system.

The class system was probably my favorite thing. I've seen that kind of skill point tree done in a few little single-player games, but the closest most MMOs get is just a side page to all the rest of your regular class stuff that exists to make you farm up an additional 200 stupid-points in order to get +1% crit damage or something.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

RottenK posted:

I wish someone made Defiance into a single player ARPG, i found the combat really fun and the bug guns were so cool :(

Trion had a lot of potential with that game, and Rift too, and squandered it all.

At least the show was good.

Take a look at The Division, the setting is different but other than that it feels very similar to Deiance.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah you might want to check out the Division, which also had it's extremely close brush with death that the devs are now desperately working to reverse, except with actual success.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Minrad posted:

I thought the Rift system was good! Dynamic events that require people to come clear them out (and maybe you can solo them) and eventually culminating in 5 man or sometimes raid content was a cool idea for leveling. It probably should've been the focus but I guess it's too hard to build a world without having generic punctuation mark questing or something.

Eventually they added a quick play style button, where you'd get put into a group that would just roam around zones and clear Rifts and group versions of quests. I thought that was actually a lot of fun, but it had a serious flaw in that 90% of the time you tried it it just put you into one of the two starter zones because most people trying the game were random newbies trying it because it was free.
Maybe they changed this, but I was more excited by the outcome of failing to close them. Like losing towns and having to fight to liberate them from the enemy. The majority of rifts just sat there until you cleared them or they expired, so it felt less like a living world with consequences, and more like WoW with random public quests.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Minrad posted:

- The downed system adding nothing of value to the game except making kills feel unrewarding and tedious, and finally getting some guy only to have an ally come and save him just felt totally sucky.

My most memorable moment in GW2 comes from this system.

PVP on one of the maps i was necro and i 1v1ing some daggar whiel the zerg went about its business around us.

We both end up going down. So we are sitting there throwing rocks at one another. He does that go invisible and port away thing i think they have, so im sitting there watching my hp drop.
It gets to within 1 click, i take my hands off the keyboard and start 'fuuuu' and bam, i pop back up. My summon then comes running back for god knows where.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

We both end up going down. So we are sitting there throwing rocks at one another. He does that go invisible and port away thing i think they have, so im sitting there watching my hp drop.
It gets to within 1 click, i take my hands off the keyboard and start 'fuuuu' and bam, i pop back up. My summon then comes running back for god knows where.

Exciting stuff.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Pierson posted:

Yeah you might want to check out the Division, which also had it's extremely close brush with death that the devs are now desperately working to reverse, except with actual success.

can confirm, the devs updated it as a literal diablo 3 shooter, loot rains from the sky early and often

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I really liked Rift, when it first came out, and it's one of maybe two MMOs where I managed to hit level cap pretty quickly after starting. I lasted maybe two weeks after that, because raiding wasn't in full swing, and everyone was waiting for the promised UI add-on functionality, since the default interface was pretty information poor for endgame PvE. I got caught up in another game in the meantime, and never went back to it. You could tell they were specifically picking at every WoW sacred cow at the time, from multi-spec to costume sets.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Minrad posted:

Rift's death is a shame because the game was pretty unique and cool at launch but everything it did well at launch has been done by other MMOs since, and it suffered a lot with age. The comment about Trion wanting to milk an mmo to fund other games was spot on, but they never managed to make a successful game, so their only option was just go back, go frito, and milk Rift for what they could.

Rift was a seriously amazing game that still occasionally tugs at my memory. The ability to create your own class was great. And, you could play just about any role as just about any archetype. It's a precursor to ESO, in a good way.

It's also, like, a billion years old and dead now and that's OK. Everquest is also dead, as is Asheron's Call and Dungeons and Dragons Online and a thousand other MMOs.

Edit: Aww, crap, I'm about to reinstall Rift again, aren't I?

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 19, 2016

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Rift was the first MMO that I ever pre-ordered. I've been following the industry since the launch of UO, and it says something that I was that impressed. It also says something that if I had another week with the beta, I wouldn't have bothered.

I never got a character to cap. I got to the mid thirties with a character on one side, figured I'd try the other, and realized that the quests were 99% duplicated as soon as you got to the shared zones. The art team was even more adolescent than WoW: I can deal with slut plate, but drew the line at something with the word 'pants' in the description showing on my character as panties and a garter belt.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

The art team was even more adolescent than WoW: I can deal with slut plate, but drew the line at something with the word 'pants' in the description showing on my character as panties and a garter belt.

Truth. WoW's got some serious offenders sometimes, but overall it's pretty easy to get a cool-looking character whose boobs aren't hanging out. In Rift, I basically found one neat rogue-ish outfit early on that wasn't too terribly skanky and then had to stick with that until one of their holiday events gave me a full suit of badass armor.

Also, yeah, Rift's class system was baller as hell. Too bad so much of the rest of it kept cribbing from WoW without ever innovating or evolving. Now it's like a weird clone of wow-circa eight years ago.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Truth. WoW's got some serious offenders sometimes, but overall it's pretty easy to get a cool-looking character whose boobs aren't hanging out. In Rift, I basically found one neat rogue-ish outfit early on that wasn't too terribly skanky and then had to stick with that until one of their holiday events gave me a full suit of badass armor.

Also, yeah, Rift's class system was baller as hell. Too bad so much of the rest of it kept cribbing from WoW without ever innovating or evolving. Now it's like a weird clone of wow-circa eight years ago.

I have to give FFXIV credit where credit is due. There's some slutty armors floating around, but it puts the men in those armors too.

My ilvl 230 tank gear has tit windows. And I'm a dude.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

I have to give FFXIV credit where credit is due. There's some slutty armors floating around, but it puts the men in those armors too.

My ilvl 230 tank gear has tit windows. And I'm a dude.

Last I heard they were working hard (heh) modeling the male version of the bunny suit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

super sweet best pal posted:

Last I heard they were working hard (heh) modeling the male version of the bunny suit.

The director has noted that "the rear end looks great".

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Rift was awesome, it had a fantastic content schedule all the way through the first xpac, Hammerknell is one of my favorite raids ever, and the amount of content and landmass in Storm Legion was awesome. Then somewhere in that Xpac they went free to play, the cash shop got disgusting, content dried up while new cosmetics on the shop proliferated

Then the next xpac had way less content, you had to buy new souls for 40 bucks, you had to pay to unlock gear slots....

It had the best housing system to ever be in an mmo also

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thursday Next posted:

Rift was a seriously amazing game that still occasionally tugs at my memory. The ability to create your own class was great. And, you could play just about any role as just about any archetype. It's a precursor to ESO, in a good way.

It's also, like, a billion years old and dead now and that's OK. Everquest is also dead, as is Asheron's Call and Dungeons and Dragons Online and a thousand other MMOs.

Edit: Aww, crap, I'm about to reinstall Rift again, aren't I?

No dont. Its aged horribly and it'll ruin your memories of it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D&D Online is a better choice if you want to replay an old MMO. Decided to replay it a few months ago and tried the Temple of Elemental Evil module, it was a nice change of pace from MMO dungeons that are just straight lines to bosses.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No dont. Its aged horribly and it'll ruin your memories of it

This. Rift is like a once delicious meal, left to fester and rot in a damp closet for 5 years.

It's currently the 5 year old rotten birthday cake riddled with maggots and black mold of MMOs.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

DancingShade posted:

This. Rift is like a once delicious meal, left to fester and rot in a damp closet for 5 years.

It's currently the 5 year old rotten birthday cake riddled with maggots and black mold of MMOs.

That's a shame, but I appreciate the warnings. I've instead chosen to reinstall LotRO, which I never got past level 15 in. I'm not a huge lotr fan (or really a fan at all), but the game is just so... nice. So soothing.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

D&D Online is a better choice if you want to replay an old MMO. Decided to replay it a few months ago and tried the Temple of Elemental Evil module, it was a nice change of pace from MMO dungeons that are just straight lines to bosses.

I enjoyed D&D Online with goons, but (unless they changed it) you need a party for most of the content. I didn't even know it was still going.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The old solo difficulty that some quests had got changed into "casual" difficulty that's super doable solo now. Some quests still require you to do multiple switches though, and while you can hire a single henchman and bypass most, sometimes they can't be used for that.

That said, D&D online is IMHO the best co-op game you can play with friends. Instead of treating it as an MMO, me and my friends treated it as a co-op dungeon crawler and it's ridiculously good for that, *especially* the first run through, when everything is new and fresh.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Temple of Elemental Evil dungeon is a good example of that, it's not a linear run like regular MMO dungeons but a huge building full of optional areas filled with enemies and chances at loot.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
People still play Aion? That's a shock.

Is Age of Conan still a thing?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Verbose posted:

People still play Aion? That's a shock.

Is Age of Conan still a thing?

Age of Conan is a funcom game. I'm not sure if funcom games can die.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If Funcom was going to die it would have happened already. Plus they made Dreamfall and Secret World so they hold a special place in my gaming heart.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

DancingShade posted:

If Funcom was going to die it would have happened already. Plus they made Dreamfall and Secret World so they hold a special place in my gaming heart.

The Secret World was great. I remember "spec" was so flexible that I literally trained up the ability to tank from 0 to the fourth level instance in the time it took to get a group. Which was about five minutes.

I should try that as single player again.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Can you link the source for that, something tells me that the official forum community of FFXIV wouldn't take the news well and i want to see that.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

RottenK posted:

Can you link the source for that, something tells me that the official forum community of FFXIV wouldn't take the news well and i want to see that.

They are doing it because the community demanded it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Never underestimate the power of catboy rear end.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Kortel posted:

They are doing it because the community demanded it.

He's right though, the official forums community has a strong contingent of people upset that they're "wasting time on this rather than work on Alexander 13 Savage Extreme" or whathaveyou. And of course the same few decrying it as bringing politics into games or whatever like they did when they let same-sex characters get married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Has there ever been an MMO that didnt have an official forum full of people raging at the status/direction of the game? Well, aside from games like Wildstar where the forums are dead because the game is dead.

• Locked thread