Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CFox posted:

Nah the line access fee is always just $20, doesn't matter if you own the phone outright or are on a payment plan.

yeah, I didn't think they did subsidized phones any longer. They dropped the price of the plan by :20bux: but if you want a new phone from them you have to buy it outright or pay the monthly payment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They still do them, I believe.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My wife moved to a Moto g4 from a n5 and likes it. Seems pretty quick and the extra 2gb of ram helps her with her open chrome tab addiction . It's a neat phone but just too drat big for me. I love the size of the n5 but everything else is huge. I've been eyeing the Axon 7 mini but for for now I guess I'll just stick to the n5

It sounds like the Axon 7 mini drops a lot of stuff (it's not just a smaller version of the 7.) At least the reviews are pretty lukewarm.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, he is right when he says it's $40 for subsidized phones, but those plans are all legacy for specific existing customers. It's BYOD or payment plan now and those are both $20.

You can use an unlocked $130 G4 play on Verizon without issue (don't buy the $99 Verizon one because that's locked down to prepay.)

Any of the G4 line works, so that gives you options from $130 through $300.

In the $300 range, your still have a new 5x as an option as well as the MXP

In the $400 range, you have the Droid Z Play.

So, there's really options all through the price ranges. Decent options even.

FYI, Verizon already has turned on VoLTE and all these phones support it. The CDMA network isn't going to be fully sunset until 2019, but I would expect to see the first LTE only devices before then. Back in 2014, the goal was to have them this year, but the VoLTE rollout took longer than anticipated.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So is the verizon pixel xl still unlockable? Should I just buy one now seeing as Google hasn't restocked still.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You cannot unlock the bootloader on the Verizon Pixel.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Yes you can.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/28/unlock-bootloader-pixel-phones-verizon-ee-depixel8-beaups-jcase-hurry/

Just for a limited time. Wasnt sure if anyone has done it yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wouldn't recommend that approach. If you relock you would need to exploit it again to unlock again and it will be patched to prevent that. If you don't relock, you can't use Google Pay and may even start failing more integrity checks for other apps down the line.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I've had my Axon 7 for a few days now. So far I'm incredibly happy with it!

+ screen is gorgeous
+ blazing fast, no stuttering
+ looks and feels high-end
+ has some nice features, like a lock screen that changes the image and shows your step count
+ fingerprint sensor works brilliantly
+ audio is incredible
+ tons of options for customising, shits all over TouchWiz (naturally)

Here is a camera example. Fantastic phone for $350

http://imgur.com/a/cI3Wn

Where'd you get it for $350? It looks like $400 everywhere.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Today at work, apparently someone somewhere on the wi-fi network plugged in a Chromecast, and everyone's phone popped up a notification something like this:

Yes, that's a stop button, implying that we were all actively sending our screens to whatever device this is.

Please tell me that that's just a misleadingly-worded notification, and that Android doesn't actually default to immediately sharing its screen with any random device it comes across? Because I'm suddenly picturing someone sitting in front of a TV in a conference room, clicking around between the input channels, laughing at everyone's texts with their girlfriends...

For whatever it's worth, I'm on an old Moto X from Republic Wireless running Android 5.1, but this also happened to people running much newer shinier phones with Android 7. Some of those newer phones have a way to just disable casting entirely from within Settings, but mine doesn't.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Powered Descent posted:

Please tell me that that's just a misleadingly-worded notification, and that Android doesn't actually default to immediately sharing its screen with any random device it comes across? Because I'm suddenly picturing someone sitting in front of a TV in a conference room, clicking around between the input channels, laughing at everyone's texts with their girlfriends...

Android does not do this and never has.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It does work the other way though where if you're on the same network as a screen you can cast to you can cast whatever you want onto it and nobody can stop you.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
It's poorly worded. It's a Chromecast remote control, basically. If it's active and something is streaming to it, it now pops that notification to interact with it, regardless of where it's streaming from. Useful for Netflix, where you can start a stream wherever and not need to race back to the original device to pause it or change volume.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google recently added the ability for any android device on a network with a Chromecast to automatically become a remote. What you saw there is that someone was livestreaming to the Chromecast and you had the ability to stop their steam.

If someone was casting YouTube, playback controls for YouTube would pop up automatically.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'll occasionally set up my laptop as an AirPlay and Google Cast receiver while on campus Wifi just to see how people respond when they see an unfamiliar icon on their phone or laptop. People will share their screens with rather sensitive information on it and I'll kick them off of it, but I mostly get fun stuff like random music and videos.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 18, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Google recently added the ability for any android device on a network with a Chromecast to automatically become a remote. What you saw there is that someone was livestreaming to the Chromecast and you had the ability to stop their steam.

If someone was casting YouTube, playback controls for YouTube would pop up automatically.

Ah, so instead of someone loving with all of us, we were all accidentally loving with them, stopping their stream of (whatever it was) whenever we tried hitting the stop button. Thanks everyone, the paranoia is now eased. :)

Still, that's a very interesting design choice by Google. I'm sure it works great on a home network with three Android devices, but when there are hundreds of people with their phones on the office wi-fi...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Still, that's a very interesting design choice by Google. I'm sure it works great on a home network with three Android devices, but when there are hundreds of people with their phones on the office wi-fi...
Presumably there's a receiver option to require a passcode or other authorization a la AirPlay but couldn't say for sure.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I switched back to my old nexus 5 after my 5x bricked. Is it just me or does the 5 actually have way better performance than the 5x? Everything feels so much less laggy.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I switched back to my old nexus 5 after my 5x bricked. Is it just me or does the 5 actually have way better performance than the 5x? Everything feels so much less laggy.

Your 5x was probably just bogged down. It's quite a lot faster.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Saw in an article that Samsung is considering selling refurbished Note 7's in emerging Asian markets. Looks like all those unexploded landmines might soon face some unexpected competition.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fight fake news.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.androidcentral.com/selling-refurbished-galaxy-note-7s-2017-would-be-completely-mad

The article that was sourced was prior to the Note 7 final recall.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Taffer posted:

Your 5x was probably just bogged down. It's quite a lot faster.

How reliable is Geekbench 4? Because my Nexus 5 gets roughly equivalent CPU scores (2.5% under single/2.8% over multi) to the 5X listed in its results.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

Fight fake news.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.androidcentral.com/selling-refurbished-galaxy-note-7s-2017-would-be-completely-mad

All you need to succeed in the Android thread is fake news and an edgy punchline.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nimper posted:

All you need to succeed in the Android thread is fake news and an edgy punchline.

So exactly what you need to succeed at CNN, MSNBC, and Fox.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CFox posted:

Nah the line access fee is always just $20, doesn't matter if you own the phone outright or are on a payment plan.

When did that change? That eliminates a huge reason monthly payments made sense...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

sleepwalkers posted:

When did that change? That eliminates a huge reason monthly payments made sense...

Yearish ago? You pay less for each line if you own the phone, but it's usually higher with the device payment

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PerrineClostermann posted:

So exactly what you need to succeed at CNN, MSNBC, and Fox.

What's really weird is that clickbaity headlines are almost always overblown and disingenuous which makes fake news easier to promulgate since it's harder to tell the real from the fake, and BuzzFeed of all places had some incredibly good and professional reporting during the election.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there a sub $100 replacement for the blu phone amazon sold that's all sorts of hosed now? Looking for my brother.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is there a sub $100 replacement for the blu phone amazon sold that's all sorts of hosed now? Looking for my brother.

G4 Play with lockscreen ads? https://smile.amazon.com/Moto-Play-4th-gen-Lockscreen/dp/B01KBH547A/

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

bull3964 posted:

I'm guessing I can't stop that from happening? I was at a public venue and the casting notification kept popping up. It was really freaking me out because I also thought it was casting against my will.

I kept dismissing it, but I guess I was loving with someone's casting, then. I ultimately resorted to shutting off the wifi.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

azurite posted:

I'm guessing I can't stop that from happening? I was at a public venue and the casting notification kept popping up. It was really freaking me out because I also thought it was casting against my will.

I kept dismissing it, but I guess I was loving with someone's casting, then. I ultimately resorted to shutting off the wifi.
Theres an on/off switch in the settings for it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

My Nexus 5 once again went into a reboot-loop today and I had to (gently) hit it against the desk to make it stop. :negative:

I guess that means it's getting time for an upgrade. Do I hope for a black Friday / Christmas rebate on the Pixel or do I get a 5x?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

ilkhan posted:

Theres an on/off switch in the settings for it.

Ah, so there is. Thank you!

It's "Settings > Google > Google Cast" for anyone wondering.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

azurite posted:

Ah, so there is. Thank you!

It's "Settings > Google > Google Cast" for anyone wondering.

Unfortunately, that entire Google subsection doesn't seem to exist on my phone (Android 5.1), and there's no setting for it under Accounts->Google either.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Sereri posted:

My Nexus 5 once again went into a reboot-loop today and I had to (gently) hit it against the desk to make it stop. :negative:

I guess that means it's getting time for an upgrade. Do I hope for a black Friday / Christmas rebate on the Pixel or do I get a 5x?

The 5x has only got 9 months more of mainstream support left before it goes into "security-patches-only" land for another 12. If you're going to be keeping this phone as long as you kept the 5, that might be worth bearing in mind.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Daydream is pretty cool but I'd like a "tour famous public gardens" thing.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Fight fake news.

I saw it on Flipboard sourced from Forbes, but I just noticed it was from one of those "contributor" pages that basically anyone can write and are the worst.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I did an experiment with my 6P after getting my Pixel.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Welp

Just turned in my glorious Note 7 and snagged a lovely little 7 edge.

Managed to trade in a $20 walmart prepaid smartphone I bought next door to best buy and got $450 in gift cards to waste on black friday. With the $100 credit I'll receive for buying another lovely samsung product, the gear fit 2 I got to keep, and the original $30 credit from returning my forst note 7, I guess it was worth my time having to sit through 3 goddamn phone purchases over 3 months.

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Does anyone else use location-based smart-unlock? I've found it to be super-inconsistent, in that sometimes it works perfectly, and sometimes it just doesn't unlock. Positioning seems to work just fine otherwise so I don't think it's any issue with the GPS or anything.

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 20, 2016