Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

a kitten posted:

There's stuff in SAC from both the original manga, but also some of the only cool bits from the terrible sequel. Alongside the original material of course.

My question is did Shiro do any additional writing for SAC or did the writing credit come from the original manga that someone else adapted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ah, whoops. I don't know for sure, but I don't think so.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Cross-posting from Greenlit thread: Does anyone else think that the choice of "Enjoy the Silence" is a maybe a friendly ribbing of the notion that the American film would "dumb down" the superficial content? "Words are very unnecessary / They can only do harm."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I don't think I've ever seen entertainment marketing acknowledge criticism of the product to that extent.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I wish you the best with that, but if amnesia was a plot device halfway through the story I doubt they'd have put it in the trailer. After Avatar and Dragonball evolution, they're gonna have to prove this movie doesn't suck rather than the other way around.

Well yes. I'm just staying optimistic. The director and star are not ideal but I want to believe. BELIEVE.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

K. Waste posted:

Cross-posting from Greenlit thread: Does anyone else think that the choice of "Enjoy the Silence" is a maybe a friendly ribbing of the notion that the American film would "dumb down" the superficial content? "Words are very unnecessary / They can only do harm."

It would of taken decades in planning or they just picked a song no other movie has used in awhile and remixed it. I base my theory on Suicide Squad.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Finally watched the trailer on something other than my phone. Sigh.

ScarJo is mediocre at best. Part of the Major's character is how removed she is from the rest of humanity and that she can no longer relate to us like a person. ScarJo does not have the talent to pull this off. They should have gone with an unknown.

And the body suit still looks like trash but slightly less like trash than before.

I'm not looking forward to the "WHAT IS MY PASSSSSSSSSSSSST" subplot.

OH goddddddd this is going to be bad, isn't it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

HIJK posted:

Part of the Major's character is how she is from the rest of humanity and that she can no longer relate to us like a person. ScarJo does not have the talent to pull this off. T

You should watch Under the Skin, if you haven't. That movie alone has me sure she'd be a great Major-- assuming the script and the person directing her don't muck it up.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

esperterra posted:

You should watch Under the Skin, if you haven't. That movie alone has me sure she'd be a great Major-- assuming the script and the person directing her don't muck it up.

I'm just embracing the disappointment now and not setting myself up later.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Crain posted:

Yeah, but much like Lucas is being most useful when you have a room of people to shut down his worst ideas, I'm glad he wasn't in control.

He has good ideas, they just seem to get wrapped up with really bad ones more often than I'd like.

Strangely, the Appleseed manga is probably his best work and was never really adapted well.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Some favorite shots/montage:

I love the gold thumbnail and the flicker of the geisha-spider's eyes. This is a very passionate robot.

Noticing how Major's movements literally move up and over the space traveled by the geisha-spider, some nice characterization through space, architecture, and color.

Religion and science, peaceably working together at last?

Angel of light, or Angel of death?

No tears for the wicked.

Religion, meet the modern Prometheus.

Begging/reaching for life/light.

Computer cables like a cleansing waterfall.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I don't get the idea that the movie introduced philosophy to Gits. first movie's plot is a patchwork of plots and ideas from the first Manga. The latter parts of the Manga definitely went all in on the philosophy aspect. It's just that the movie removed 99% of the humor and made the major nude half the time. I love them both equally.

The tank scene definitely is more "bad-rear end silly action movie" in the manga, though.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

HIJK posted:

Finally watched the trailer on something other than my phone. Sigh.

ScarJo is mediocre at best. Part of the Major's character is how removed she is from the rest of humanity and that she can no longer relate to us like a person. ScarJo does not have the talent to pull this off. They should have gone with an unknown.

And the body suit still looks like trash but slightly less like trash than before.

I'm not looking forward to the "WHAT IS MY PASSSSSSSSSSSSST" subplot.

OH goddddddd this is going to be bad, isn't it.

Like I said before, I don't know the 1995 movie, but about Johansson not having the talent to pull it off: did you watch Under the Skin? She's fantastic in it. I don't think this movie is going to fail because of the lead actress. At least I hope so.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've only seen the first two Shell moves, I've never read the manga and I played that PS1 game for about an hour.

I'm 70% hyped for this. It doesn't matter to me that it looks like a mashup of different Shell sources. If it's interesting and fun to watch, I'm game.
Same reason why I like the most recent Hitchhiker's Guide movie. They knew they weren't going to get a sequel so they took the basic framework and and peppered in other cool things from the other books.

If, at the end of the day, I wanted to watch '93 GiTS I have the DVD and could watch that instead of complaining about a new interpretation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

[edit] Let's try this again! Recut the official trailer with music from the Innocence soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdLcm6_fmvU

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 16, 2016

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to go to ADTRW for fear of becoming an actual anime myself, so hopefully you guys can give me an answer. I've never watched Ghost in the Shell, should I watch the original 95 version, or is it worth tracking down the 2008 version?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The 2008 version is hot loving garbage and if you can find an HD variant of the 1995 cut, go for that 100%.

E: if you want to prime yourself for the disappointment of the 2017 movie, totally check out the 2008 """remaster"""

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I don't want to go to ADTRW for fear of becoming an actual anime myself, so hopefully you guys can give me an answer. I've never watched Ghost in the Shell, should I watch the original 95 version, or is it worth tracking down the 2008 version?

Original 1995, NOT THE REMASTER. Then check out the first season of the Stand Alone Complex tv show. If you like that, watch season 2.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My introduction to the series was the first two seasons of SaC, after which I watched the original movie. Haven't seen anything else. I really liked the TV series and the movie was a little weirder in comparison.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
2008 version has the good English dub with the SaC actors, right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Phone posted:

The 2008 version is hot loving garbage and if you can find an HD variant of the 1995 cut, go for that 100%.

E: if you want to prime yourself for the disappointment of the 2017 movie, totally check out the 2008 """remaster"""

The blurays of the remaster were released under the title "Ghost in the Shell 2.0" and included a transfer of the original laserdisc version, so if that's all you have access to, check out the back of the box or the menus. Get the re-release of the original from a couple of years back if you can.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cardboard Box A posted:

What is this "good english dub" you speak of?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Ghost in the shell isn't really that good

It was good - for an anime -, but not really that good imo

It had a handful of really cool scenes though

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

The Innocence movie brought back the SAC actors, yes, but last I heard that dub is only available on the UK version.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Zzulu posted:

Ghost in the shell isn't really that good

It was good - for an anime -, but not really that good imo

It had a handful of really cool scenes though

It was actually really good. It was probably one of the better sci fi movies of the 90's.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
hmmmm i disagree on account of it being boring tripe

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
What exactly makes it boring tripe?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HIJK posted:

The Innocence movie brought back the SAC actors, yes, but last I heard that dub is only available on the UK version.

Funimation is putting out Innocence again early next year, but I haven't seen the cast list yet.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
It's an art film with guns in it. Not everyone connects with that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Midjack posted:

Funimation is putting out Innocence again early next year, but I haven't seen the cast list yet.

They may be using a pre-existing dub since I believe Innocence had the SAC cast to begin with. Richard Epcar is definitely in it.

Fake edit: I'm looking at the Wikipedia article and there's been two dubs of it, each with the SAC cast as the main cast, but supporting cast is different largely because they used two different studios to dub it.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I really enjoyed both Stand Alone Complex (especially the first season), and the movie, but they kind of strike me as two radically different animals. SAC is mostly a cyberpunk political/spy thriller, and “art film with guns in it” seems like a good way to describe the movie.

It’s kind of weird to see iconic moments from both of them mashed up in the new movie, and I wonder what tone they’ll ultimately go for.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blastedhellscape posted:

I really enjoyed both Stand Alone Complex (especially the first season), and the movie, but they kind of strike me as two radically different animals. SAC is mostly a cyberpunk political/spy thriller, and “art film with guns in it” seems like a good way to describe the movie.

It’s kind of weird to see iconic moments from both of them mashed up in the new movie, and I wonder what tone they’ll ultimately go for.

Sure as gently caress ain't gonna be "art film."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Blastedhellscape posted:

Quoting the director himself:

Rupert Sanders, director posted:

[The 1995 film is] too philosophical and too introspective. That’s what so many people like about it and I hope we channel that into the film. But [I] hopefully built a bigger film around it so people are excited in the cinema and enriched, in some way.

Based on the trailer, and having not seen SAC, the movie definitely feels like it's going to be a mainstream sci-fi actioner with a coat of cyberpunk grunge. I personally get a Minority Report meets The Terminator vibe in terms of tone and visuals. The shot of Batou firing his shotgun in the club reminds me so much of Kyle Reese in the Tech Noir scene.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 17, 2016

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
IGN posted a 2 minute clip of the shelling sequence in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5amv-vqUFo

edit:

Ok, just saw that it's a couple of days old. Sorry. Leaving it here in case anyone else has missed it.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

I've only seen the first two Shell moves, I've never read the manga and I played that PS1 game for about an hour.

god i loved that game. skating that little red tank around, climbing walls, locking missiles onto stuff. so great

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Jack's Flow posted:

IGN posted a 2 minute clip of the shelling sequence in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5amv-vqUFo

edit:

Ok, just saw that it's a couple of days old. Sorry. Leaving it here in case anyone else has missed it.

The fact that they use the music from the original movie makes me believe at least a little bit that someone on the project at least cares a little about the original ghost in the shell.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Batham posted:

The fact that they use the music from the original movie makes me believe at least a little bit that someone on the project at least cares a little about the original ghost in the shell.

Someone here station the original 4 second long ads into one and put the OG soundtrack on it, and they got an invite to an event thrown by the studio.

This is Schrodinger's Ghost in the Shell; it's impossible to determine its objective goodness.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
"We'll get teagone to fix it in post!"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Frogfingers posted:

"We'll get teagone to fix it in post!"

Honestly, this probably isn't the worst strategy for marketing. They, most likely, have to pay for the music they use, teagone doesn't, allowing him much more creative flexibility.

You get fan involvement and free marketing materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
New trailer due this week according to TrailerTrack.

• Locked thread