Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Progressive is what Democratic politicians started calling themselves when "liberal" started polling poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

seriously you can talk a lot of poo poo about her campaign methods but pretending her main platform was actually 'TRUMP BAD' is just the opposite of truth.

It was the truth if I go by 99.9% of Hillary ads I saw on television.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

exactly. Platform doesn't mean poo poo if you never talk about it

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh Snapple! posted:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who was it that said that Hillary made a conscious decision not to mention her platform out of fear of alienating her donors?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Hillary talked about policy, esp in like swing state small gatherings, but she didn't advertise on it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

I used to think it was the opposite: liberals were concerned about economic policies and progressive were like vegans and poo poo

Couldn't have been more wrong on that

Liberals are concerned about economics, by privatizing everything.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's funny how we still have people insisting Hillary was talking about her policy proposals, but they couldn't think to name a single one unprompted.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

My Linux Rig posted:

Jesus, that's lovely. Is it at least affordable?

Yes it was cheap and very nice.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Not that I'm an expert or anything but it seems that at some point a bunch of people switched from describing themselves as 'liberal' to 'progressive' to put a line between them and the "Charter Schools, $500+/plate fundraisers, let the banks off, and gently caress unions" wing of the Dems.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Liberals in general have a massive ideological problem, and in the United States they're so invested into the label that it prevents a lot of critical self-reflection. It's a position defined contrary to its opposite, but if the opposite is also a pro-capitalist party then there ends up being a narcissism of small differences. Before this election there was always some smug jerk off talking about how neoliberalism is "whatever I don't like" and now they're silent as the grave. It took a catastrophic crisis to clearly define the separations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mrmcd posted:

Not that I'm an expert or anything but it seems that at some point a bunch of people switched from describing themselves as 'liberal' to 'progressive' to put a line between them and the "Charter Schools, $500+/plate fundraisers, let the banks off, and gently caress unions" wing of the Dems.

Good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

jackofarcades posted:

Hillary talked about policy, esp in like swing state small gatherings, but she didn't advertise on it.

She made a point of talking about policy in the debates, too, but it was all ultimately in venues that only the people who were already kind of tuned in were likely to see.

There was policy, and there was (some) outreach, but there was drat little combining of the two.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

Make privatized infrastructure illegal on the federal level. Destroy Public/private partnerships and prosecute the sitting boards for corruption.

This is a drive-up federal cheeseburger redistribution center, Comrade.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

docbeard posted:

She made a point of talking about policy in the debates, too, but it was all ultimately in venues that only the people who were already kind of tuned in were likely to see.

There was policy, and there was (some) outreach, but there was drat little combining of the two.

The policy was just to contrast herself and Trump and make her seem like the adult in the room.

Notable presidents elected by this strategy were Hubert Humphrey, Walter Mondale, Al Gore, John Kerry...

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Brother Friendship posted:

Le petit révolutionnaire

Elephant Ambush posted:

A perfect example of why ideological purity tests are stupid trash for babies.

all of you are why facebook has to crack down on fake news

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

docbeard posted:

She didn't even talk about policy in the debates, just said "look on my website and you will totally see a policy I swear"

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

The campaign's main strategy was ads and celebrity surrogates. Neither of those two things ever, ever talked about policy. Are you talking about her little-publicized, sparsely-scheduled, not-widely-attended rallies, or her fundraising events with big-money donors?

Oh Snapple! posted:

neither of you even know what a political campaign is

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Pardon me if the job retraining policy that nobody loving likes sounds a little hollow coming from a person who lost a gimme election because she didn't want to learn how to use a desktop computer or a loving iPhone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Spending 1 billion dollars on focus groups and campaign AI programs just to lose against a guy with no political experience?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Guy DeBorgore posted:

MIND

BLOWN

*keanu reeves reaction gif*

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Central Texas Goons:

It looks like the Travis/Williamson County-based parties are finally coming out of their post-election stupor. Some of them are waiting an excruciatingly long time, but at least something is being done now. Here's what's coming up in the area:

WilCo Democrats: http://www.wilcodemocrats.org/news/1071/The-General-Election-is-over-What-to-do-now
They're hosting their monthly meeting on Thursday, December 8th from 6:00-8:30PM in Round Rock. That's nearly 3 weeks from today. This may be the soonest opportunity to get our voices heard to the members and committee. They're also hosting a party on the 15th.
WilCo Young Democrats: http://www.wilcodemocrats.org/calendar/9/48-Wilco%20Young%20Dems
Their monthly meeting is on December 1st, off of 183 in north Austin. It's a full week sooner than the WilCo Dems, so a chance to get there.

Travis County assorted parties: http://www.traviscountydemocrats.org/calendar/
This Calendar is actually, shockingly, useful. I'm not that surprised, since Austin is a blue city and pretty politically active. Black Austin Democrats just met, and there's meetings coming up in the next few weeks. The soonest meeting (aside from Black Austin Democrats, which was 2 days ago) is NxNW Democrats in 2 days, at Big Daddy's Burgers and Bar at 183 & Burnet.

Unfortunately, still drat near impossible to find anything regarding Texas Democrats or Texas Young Democrats. I know both exist and are active to some extent, but I'll be hosed if I can find their meetings. So for the time being, it's important that if you want to make your voice heard you go to any of these upcoming meetings you can.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Guy DeBorgore posted:

What were three major policy actions Hillary pushed that she was going to do, and which groups of people wanted them.

This would be trivially easy to do for Trump, or even Obama, so I trust it will only take you a minute or two to respond.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 23:43 on Nov 19, 2016

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Syndlig posted:

Central Texas Goons:

It looks like the Travis/Williamson County-based parties are finally coming out of their post-election stupor. Some of them are waiting an excruciatingly long time, but at least something is being done now. Here's what's coming up in the area:

WilCo Democrats: http://www.wilcodemocrats.org/news/1071/The-General-Election-is-over-What-to-do-now
They're hosting their monthly meeting on Thursday, December 8th from 6:00-8:30PM in Round Rock. That's nearly 3 weeks from today. This may be the soonest opportunity to get our voices heard to the members and committee. They're also hosting a party on the 15th.
WilCo Young Democrats: http://www.wilcodemocrats.org/calendar/9/48-Wilco%20Young%20Dems
Their monthly meeting is on December 1st, off of 183 in north Austin. It's a full week sooner than the WilCo Dems, so a chance to get there.

Travis County assorted parties: http://www.traviscountydemocrats.org/calendar/
This Calendar is actually, shockingly, useful. I'm not that surprised, since Austin is a blue city and pretty politically active. Black Austin Democrats just met, and there's meetings coming up in the next few weeks. The soonest meeting (aside from Black Austin Democrats, which was 2 days ago) is NxNW Democrats in 2 days, at Big Daddy's Burgers and Bar at 183 & Burnet.

Unfortunately, still drat near impossible to find anything regarding Texas Democrats or Texas Young Democrats. I know both exist and are active to some extent, but I'll be hosed if I can find their meetings. So for the time being, it's important that if you want to make your voice heard you go to any of these upcoming meetings you can.

if you have any info about dallas/ft worth please pass it on i have family there

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Hang on a second. Inflation is driven by increases in the money supply. QE has pumped tons of money in the economy, and while its true policy makers have done everything to keep inflation down, you can't do that forever. Inflation has to hit sometime. I don't think it's going to stay quiet with a trillion dollars of infrastructure stimulus floating around.

profiteering, economic rent extraction and monopolies cause inflation

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

punk rebel ecks posted:

I always saw liberals as people who believe adding policy and funding to existing structures is key. While progressives want to tear things down and build them a new.

What if you're one way on some things and another in other things? Like you both want universal health coverage for all paid for by progressive taxes AND think that the general structure we have for food stamps is OK, but needs more funding, better outreach to get more eligible people on the rolls, and a personal care allowance for things like shampoo and feminine hygiene products?

Is there a term for that. Libpro? Probral? Libgressive?

I need to know to start a Tumblr page...

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Who was it that said that Hillary made a conscious decision not to mention her platform out of fear of alienating her donors?

Me.

It's definitely the case. Fortunately it goes to show that they are minority in America and aren't the shadowy cabal that conspiracy theorists love to rave about, covering their scope and bredth of power. Instead we jut see sheer incompetence, because even her donor base seem like they would get hysterical if their voices weren't being heard instead of formulating a plan to flat out lie to the populists.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
People usually are multiple political labels on different political topics

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K8bf6dbYt4

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

MIND

BLOWN

*keanu reeves reaction gif*

like its about more than just national ads and the celebrities you saw on tv? i feel like i walked into a conversation about a football game and the guy i'm talking to is going entirely off the highlight reel he saw on espn the next day

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

I live in the "I-4 Corridor" in Florida, one of the most hotly contested areas in every election, and I watch TV for one hour only every night: when Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy is on. The month leading up to the election was torture. Literally multiple election commercials every single break. I agree with this 99.9% number. I don't remember a single talking point for Hillary besides "Do you really want to be the kind of piece of poo poo who votes for this guy?"

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I think I just got personally blamed for the Clinton campaign's failure by a longtime friend over skype. What do you even say when someone you've known for a decade says to you "you know, maybe if people like your family didn't lie on all the polls then she would've had more reason to go to the Midwest" with apparent seriousness? I don't think me or anyone I know has EVER purposely lied to a pollster, I just maybe only do 1 a year because they call anyone with landlines in Iowa about 5 times a day during election season.

I held back my worst doubts about Clinton through the campaign year and defended her to friends and family quite often, but now the crime of being Midwestern and thinking there is something internally wrong with the party has drawn me some serious ire from friends lately :(

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Guy DeBorgore posted:

like its about more than just national ads and the celebrities you saw on tv? i feel like i walked into a conversation about a football game and the guy i'm talking to is going entirely off the highlight reel he saw on espn the next day

At any point are you going to turn this line of thinking into an actual argument rather than the forum post equivalent of a snarky tweet

(I am suggesting you be more specific and say what you mean rather than just being condescending)

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

docbeard posted:

Hell no. Every single question was met with a non answer. Trump as also guilty of this but let's not pretend.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Trump doesn't have much liquid capital right? So he would benifit from inflation? Well it's hard to say if what he does have would retain value in proportion. Like he could value his brand more and ask for more when licencing. But despite all this his brand is still toxic and his properties hemeraging.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Guy DeBorgore posted:

sounds like typical c-spam to me, i dont see the problem here :raise:

we're major players in the political rumblings and at the snap of a finger I could appoint Trump's cabinet members right now if I wanted.

It makes all the difference to post about it on SA of all places, they'll never suspect our coded messages to each other, like Ed Balls.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

bump_fn posted:

if you have any info about dallas/ft worth please pass it on i have family there

Sure. I'm not sure what counties they live in, but here's what I can find for this month (or early next month if need be), by County.

Collin County: http://http://www.collindemocrats.org/
All their county meetings take place at their office: CCDP Office, 1915 N Central Expy #150, Plano, TX 75075, USA
Sun Nov 20 3:00 PM - "What Can We Do?"
Tue Nov 22 7:00PM - Leadership Meeting
Mon Nov 28 6:30PM - "What You Can Do"
Tue Nov 29 7:15 - Current Economic Climate Meeting
They also have a meeting every single Friday called "Drinking Liberally" that changes location, and starts at 6:30 PM

Dallas County: http://www.dallasdemocrats.org/get-involved/calendar
Tue Nov 22 6:30PM - Dallas County Texas Democratic Women
Wed Nov 23 7:00PM: - Dallas Coutny East Democrats
Thu Nov 24 6:45 - North Dallas Texas Democratic Women
Sat Nov 26 8:00AM - Dallas County East Democrats Coffee Social
Sat Nov 26 9:00AM - Garland Area Democratic Club Saturday Morning Coffee
Sat Nov 26 3:00PM - Rowlett Democratic Club
They also do "Drinking Liberally", though it's sporadic and different groups.

Denton County: http://www.dentondemocrats.org/
Every monday they do a "Progressive Leaders Toastmasters" meeting to teach people communication and how to do public speaking, in an effort to spread political awareness. Looks like Denton County barley does meetings, but there are subgroups that might? Check their "Clubs & Organizations" page and go from there.

Kaufman County: http://www.kcdemocrats.org/calendar
Sat, Dec 10: Monthly Meeting. They had theirs last weekend, so the next isn't for 3 more weeks.

Rockwall County: http://rockwalldems.com/?post_type=tribe_events
No upcoming events. Their monthly meeting was this morning.

Tarrant County: http://www.calendarwiz.com/calendars/calendar.php?crd=TarrantDemocrats&&jsenabled=1&winh=1080&winw=1920&inifr=false
Their offices moved and a bunch of their meetings are being cancelled. I guess since Ft Worth is pretty red still they're demoralized. There are still three events on the horizon though:
Sun Nov 20 2:30PM - 360 Corridor Democratic Action! @ Spring Creek Barbeque
Thu Nov 24 7:00PM - Mid-Cities Democrats Meeting @ Los Jimadores Tex-Mex
Mon Nov 28 7:00PM - Southwest Democrats @ Olive Garden

If any of these are close to your family, let them know. I didn't go in-depth on addresses, but you should be able to find that info on the calendars.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Lastgirl posted:

they'll never suspect our coded messages to each other, like Ed Balls.

Indeed. Trump doctor sex cake, madam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Maduo posted:

all of you are why facebook has to crack down on fake news

Click here for 5 reasons that may or may not be true!

• Locked thread