Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Rysithusiku posted:

Just start throwing in every weapon from lore. All of them. All at once.
Indirect ballistics. Melee weapons. Mines. Medium and AT missiles. Plasma rifles. Melee weapons. Speciality NARC pods. Alternate warheads. Melee weapons.
Just throw everything in together and let the complete and utter mayhem sort itself for 1 month before you start balancing everything.
We'll find a counter for snipers.

This means we get the bombast laser :getin:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

And then Heavy PPCs and PPC Capacitors and Light Gauss Rifles just make sniping worse

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Btw if you fear to struggle with the component achievement, shotgun-bear is your friend.

I find that the SPL locust works wonders for this because few other mechs are this good at running behind enemy lines and putting a 6 SPL alpha into an open component and scooting away.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

BattleMaster posted:

And then Heavy PPCs and PPC Capacitors and Light Gauss Rifles just make sniping worse

ah, but then you just tag the snipers with Plasma Rifles and run up and hatchet them in the face. :black101:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

This means we get the bombast laser :getin:.

That thing is more useless than PGI's version of jumpjets.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Skoll posted:

Yes, what we need is the Blazer.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I wanna see assaults running around with Long Toms. Outsnipe that bitch.
Direwolf. 2 Long Toms. FEAR HIM.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Id be fine with crosshair shake in movement.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Yes, this. Maybe make it less severe for lighter weight classes. Ideally scale it the faster you're moving as a proportion of your mech's top speed. Fatlas booking at 60kph basically has a cone of fire, one creeping at 10kph can target.

It would actually make sense for TT nerds too, as not running everywhere was kind of key to hitting things.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Playable Elemental points. Five little three-meter-tall guys who are slow but can hitch rides on friendlies, that fire in unison and can jump on enemy `Mechs to damage their internals over time.

And if the one you're in dies you just get bomped into the next one. Gotta kill all five to remove the point from play.

Edit: And they don't show up on radar, you need an active probe to detect them. Boom.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

This, unironically.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I escaped this games clutches for a while but here I am again, downloading 18 patches and making a bad post. How tall is the Assassin going to be?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sard posted:

I escaped this games clutches for a while but here I am again, downloading 18 patches and making a bad post. How tall is the Assassin going to be?

Don't get the Assassin.

Don't give PGI money.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
it'd be easy to say something like 'lol if you think this game is ever getting anything that requires changes more difficult than numbers in an .xml file'

but really ttk is already way too low and a lot of the late invasion/civil war era weapons that could potentially come in would just make things worse.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

Playable Elemental points. Five little three-meter-tall guys who are slow but can hitch rides on friendlies, that fire in unison and can jump on enemy `Mechs to damage their internals over time.

And if the one you're in dies you just get bomped into the next one. Gotta kill all five to remove the point from play.

Edit: And they don't show up on radar, you need an active probe to detect them. Boom.

This game really does desperately need elementals. Playing as one would help sense of scale, and getting to keep having some kind of gameplay after losing your mech would make everyone a lot less hesitant to engage. It'd also be a great way to make the mechs feel tougher, since there's now something to compare them to. If I had to guess though, the problem is that the maps aren't scaled for near-human sized movement, the collision detection is meant exclusively for huge things, the textures probably don't look great up close, the scaling would be off (4m tall grass, anyone?) and the terrain is mech-scaled.

I mean, they really should fix all those problems anyway, I just don't see it happening.

Sard posted:

Probably only about as tall as an Atlas or Banshee.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Skoll posted:

And that was only in MW4. I can't wait to see how much :pgi: would gently caress it up. And to shoot pubbies with a robot loaded with them at max charge.

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016

yaay posted:

it'd be easy to say something like 'lol if you think this game is ever getting anything that requires changes more difficult than numbers in an .xml file'

but really ttk is already way too low and a lot of the late invasion/civil war era weapons that could potentially come in would just make things worse.

I thought the main power spike was Helm memory core/clantech being such a massive jump over 3025 gear, and everything since then has been mostly sideways upgrades or with niche uses. Also, aren't reactive/reflective armor around by the Fedcom civil war?

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

it'd depend on how big of a value they put on them. I think it'd come down to a choice of getting oneshot by heavy gauss or heavy lasers.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Oh god that patch made the Dakkabear literally unplayable.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yes, this. Maybe make it less severe for lighter weight classes. Ideally scale it the faster you're moving as a proportion of your mech's top speed. Fatlas booking at 60kph basically has a cone of fire, one creeping at 10kph can target.

It would actually make sense for TT nerds too, as not running everywhere was kind of key to hitting things.

I would honestly hate this. It sounds like just any other fps. None of the previous mechwarrior titles needed to do that.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Skoll posted:

Don't get the Assassin.

Don't give PGI money.

aniviron posted:

Probably only about as tall as an Atlas or Banshee.

Oh well. And what the gently caress, my Catapults are different and now my laser ones are tiny and hosed up. What's a CPLT-BB? And why do I have some new mechs that looked like they rolled around in motor oil? And is the Awesome still bad?

e: I was thinking about giving PGI money but then I saw a rescale before:after video for every mech and :pgi::laffo::pgi: what the gently caress

Sard fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 20, 2016

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sard posted:

And is the Awesome still bad?

Awesomes are and always have been the best box on legs money can buy. Never be ashamed to run free.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Nurge posted:

Awesomes are and always have been the best box on legs money can buy. Never be ashamed to run free.

This is a lie.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

i'm levelling Awesomes atm and they're good turrets but absolutely godawful at doing assault things. The hardpoint heights aren't as bad as I remember though.

They're xl friendly in the sense that you're completely hosed when you start taking damage to begin with.

I think the -9M is the usable one because it has a much bigger engine cap than the others and the quirks make ER ppcs just about manageable so you're not hosed when someone gets under 90m.

You can stuff four lpls and some srm6s on an 8T, which has insane laser quirks. If you lrm boat them kys

yaay fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 20, 2016

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Cent night was fun, sorry I had to bail.

Need Assistance!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

The PPC awesome is amazingly good and funny. Pubbies get really angry when you go ":smug: I out damaged you in an awesome."

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The AWS-8Q is actually pretty good, but as you say, it's terrible at doing assault things. It doesn't take damage or lead pushes.

What it does do is vomit out PPCs at an uncanny rate, while having the sustain to actually make this useful (but without the high mounts, ofc). It also has such generous heat reduction quirks that not only can you alpha all four PPCs without dying or even shutting down, it's actually a good idea to do sometimes. All I can say is that there's a reason 40 damage PPC shots are normally supposed to be completely impractical.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Rysithusiku posted:

Just start throwing in every weapon from lore. All of them. All at once.
Melee weapons.
We'll find a counter for snipers.

I fixed this for you :getin:

vorebane fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 20, 2016

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I really want light PPCs and light ballistics. And more ammo for ballistics. And alternate ammo types.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I want to play a tetatae warrior with a spear or whatever they had in the cover of that stupid book.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

vorebane posted:

I fixed this for you :getin:

i want a little firestarter with a hatchet suicide charging snipers and hamstringing them

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Nurge posted:

Bonus points for them looking positively goony. :reject:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I want melee so spiders can punch things.

Butt punch assaults erryday.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TheParadigm posted:

I want melee so spiders can punch things.

Butt punch assaults erryday.

A punch from a spider would do about 3 damage.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yeah, but you get two fist.

3 damage may not sound much, but hey, theoretically in tabletop you can punch just as oftes as you can shoot - and it doesn't cost heat!

So imagine a punch on something like a medium or large laser's cooldown cycle. and all those wonderfully annoying clanging noises!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

But more importantly, it's not a unique reward that they're giving away, it's a $15 coupon for a hero mech you can buy any time you like. If you don't enjoy daily quick plays, you're not really missing anything by not doing the challenge.
wait, what?

Also can you put that 15$ towards another hero?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

wait, what?

Also can you put that 15$ towards another hero?

Lolwut?
You get a Grid Iron + Mechbay, thats it.
Whoever said something about a coupon was speaking metaphorically or drunk.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I've made an important discovery. If you put a decal over a hard point, and then fill that hard point the decal does fun things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ5VzlRvIw4

I've settled on this build and the 5MLAS/AC20 build as two really good ones for the loyalty cataphract. It is really, really good at corner peeking if you're running an XL engine, and it's good at juking shots while brawling if you're running a standard.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=464&l=9a5be7a6b3bba07c0e526d6f1bdc11aeec96c9b9

I've been crushing people at mid ranged duels with this, because you can back up around a corner, fire your shots, and then with MASC you can pop back into cover really quickly. With the XL340 you almost instantly hit 98kph going forward to cover, so unless they're really, really good at predicting when you're coming out you can fire your shots off and be back around the corner before they either land a projectile like a PPC or get their full laser duration on you.

It doesn't poo poo out damage at a super high pace, but it does trade extremely well if you don't just expose yourself to the enemy and stand there. You can also switch out the UAC5 and two heat sinks for an AC5 and 3 MLAS, though the arm weapons will only be doing you any good if the opposition decides to close within 90m of you.

E: Titty cataphract is pretty weak against lights if it is in a fight to the death, but if you are alone and fighting a light to the death in this machine you have made Bad Decisions.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 20, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I would honestly hate this. It sounds like just any other fps. None of the previous mechwarrior titles needed to do that.

The other Mechwarrior titles were simulators, not lovely arena shooters like MWO.

I'm not supporting that particular idea but saying "that's not how the other games did it" is a garbage argument that stops potentially fun things from being added. Not that PGI's capable of adding any real meat to the mechanics at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Another thing that would tripple TTK would be no automatic 100% weapon convergence.

• Locked thread