Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Shiroc posted:

The last time I watched Empire Strikes Back, it struck me how pointless the soldiers in the trenches and manning the turrets were during Hoth. The visible Imperials were the AT-ATs (which could only be harmed by the snowspeeders tripping them) and a single AT-ST that only appears in one shot. I get the impression that the battle was supposed to be more like the one in Attack of the Clones, with tons of combined units and the infantry actually doing something other than futility shooting and retreating.

The Rebels are faced with overwhelming opposition. Those dudes on the ground are just there to slow down the Imperial advance long enough for the transports to escape; it's supposed to be futile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I think Empire might be the worst Star Wars now that I think about it. It's pretty much just filler material between two other movies. And poorly shot filler at that. It looks like daytime TV.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Not to mention that R2 goes on to be Luke's good buddy whereas C3PO is just kind of there.

C-3PO is way more than "just kind of there." He's the most outwardly emotional character in the movies, and the only time he ever stops intrusively making his presence known is when the other characters physically shut him off. Of the pair, C-3PO is far more an emblem of mechanical humanity than R2-D2 is.

His bodily disassembly in TESB was intended as a symbolic parallel to the emotional ordeals being undergone by the main human characters in the film--Darth Vader in particular:

"It’s a motif of the movies. In this case it’s a physical manifestation but in the rest of [the movies], it’s either an emotional manifestation or a personality manifestation, somebody who’s sort of ripped themselves apart and is trying to put themselves back together again. So it’s fun when you can take a literal character, in this case a tin woodsmen or Humpty Dumpty and break them all apart and have part of the movie be about how he gets put back together again physically, which is what Luke is trying to do, and what Han is doing in terms of his morality. But more importantly, in the end, it’s what Darth Vader is trying to do." -- George Lucas

Thus, it makes far more sense for C-3PO to have been built by human hands--the hands of the future Darth Vader, no less--than it does for R2-D2 to have been.

It also sets up C-3PO's "Machines making machines! How perverse!" line in Attack of the Clones, followed by R2-D2 nonchalantly shoving C-3PO out of the way and rescuing Padme by plugging into the factory's computer system.

R2-D2 is the one who always saves the day by interfacing with the machine. C-3PO is the one who always reacts with terror in the face of the machine, along with the human characters. It all ties together.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

UmOk posted:

I think Empire might be the worst Star Wars now that I think about it. It's pretty much just filler material between two other movies. And poorly shot filler at that. It looks like daytime TV.

Is this a joke?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What's bad is good and vice versa on SomethingAwful.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

homullus posted:

The Rebels are faced with overwhelming opposition. Those dudes on the ground are just there to slow down the Imperial advance long enough for the transports to escape; it's supposed to be futile.

I think it is the difference between futile and "these guys could have left at the start and it wouldn't have made a difference to the Rebels ability to Dunkirk out." It is like NorgLyle said, there 'should' be a ton of Snowtroopers and things on the ground too.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

What's bad is good and vice versa on SomethingAwful.

Not at all. It's still good. It's just not as good as the other Star Wars. It has the least going for it. It has a cool "twist" in the father scene and a green puppet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shiroc posted:

The last time I watched Empire Strikes Back, it struck me how pointless the soldiers in the trenches and manning the turrets were during Hoth. The visible Imperials were the AT-ATs (which could only be harmed by the snowspeeders tripping them) and a single AT-ST that only appears in one shot. I get the impression that the battle was supposed to be more like the one in Attack of the Clones, with tons of combined units and the infantry actually doing something other than futility shooting and retreating.

Also, the Rebels seemed to be shocked at the sight of the AT-ATs. Perhaps they were expecting a more traditional battle.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

New bluray set with commentary coming it and more deleted scenes. Mmmm double dipping.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Canemacar posted:

Honestly, I would have liked it much better if C3PO had just been a protocol droid on Amedala's ship and Anakin had built R2-D2.

It works better logically since of course a leader and diplomat would have a protocol droid, and he spends the rest of the trilogy hanging out with Padme anyway. And when you work in a junkyard fixing up scrap why wouldn't you build a utility droid like R2? Not to mention that being jury-rigged together by a child prodigy would explain R2's unusually strong personality and endless gadgets.

Thematically it flows better too since you have Leia inheriting her mother's droid and legacy while Luke does the same with his father.

I also want to point out that this isn't quite right, because Luke inherits his mother's legacy just as much as he inherits his father's, and vice versa for Leia.

Luke is a young, naive farmboy just as Padme is (in part) a young, naive servant girl. A parallel is drawn between the neophyte Luke and Padme in her handmaiden alter ego, and wouldn't you know it, it is precisely their way of relating to R2-D2 through which this parallel is illustrated most explicitly:

Luke also inherits his mother's dying belief that there is still good in Anakin Skywalker, which adds a retroactive but poignant irony to his statement to Leia that he has "no memory" of his mother.

As for Leia, she's clearly inherited her father's self-assured boldness and acerbic sense of mocking humor:

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

"General Grievous. You're shorter than I expected."

You'll also notice that Anakin and Leia both end up falling for someone who is older and more experienced romantically than they are.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 20, 2016

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Davros1 posted:

Also, the Rebels seemed to be shocked at the sight of the AT-ATs. Perhaps they were expecting a more traditional battle.

The infantry were shooting their little guns at *something* from the trenches even after it was clear that the bigger guns had no effect. Overall the scenes still work, but when I was really thinking about it there were clearly aspects of the battle that were implied but not on screen, which is likely what every video game, comic book, toy and so forth adds in other things.

I'm curious if they meant to film more scenes and couldn't or never planned to.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Shiroc posted:

The infantry were shooting their little guns at *something* from the trenches even after it was clear that the bigger guns had no effect. Overall the scenes still work, but when I was really thinking about it there were clearly aspects of the battle that were implied but not on screen, which is likely what every video game, comic book, toy and so forth adds in other things.

I'm curious if they meant to film more scenes and couldn't or never planned to.

I don't recall reading anything about that specifically, but once again it must be pointed out that more than any other Star Wars film, even the original, TESB suffered from massive, near catastrophic budgetary issues.

There is this McQuarrie concept art, though, which seems to imply more extensive snowtrooper action on the battlefield:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
If battlefront is any indication all imperial ground troops were busy being spawn camped by an awing

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcwsDJhrREU

Tickets go on sale tomorrow in Sweden.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The ATATs carried troops to the field so the rebels were just firing at offscreen stormtroopers

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

You are literally mentally handicapped

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Empire is a lot of things. "The worst Star Wars movie" isn't one of them.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

BigglesSWE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcwsDJhrREU

Tickets go on sale tomorrow in Sweden.

Sweet

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

BigglesSWE posted:

Empire is a lot of things. "The worst Star Wars movie" isn't one of them.

Agreed. But I also think the nerd consensus that it's far-and-away the best Star Wars movie by leaps and bounds is overblown. Same goes for the nerd consensus that ROTJ is the worst of the OT and/or downright bad. The original six Star Wars movies are all pretty different from each other and have different things going for them. From what I can gather back when TESB first came out it wasn't that uncommon to find certain fans complaining about how different from ANH it was.

I also remember the Internet backlash that one time Joss Whedon came out and had the audacity to moderately criticize TESB for its lack of a definitive ending. I think that was kind of evidence that the untouchable aura that's been built up around it has gone a bit too far. TESB does lack a definitive ending. The filmmakers themselves intended it that way. It's as close to an objective fact about the movie as you can get. All Whedon was saying was that it wasn't to his taste, and people freaked out.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I hope the Han Solo movie has a long montage where he has to learn how to understand wookiee growl inflections.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

ANH and ESB is neck to neck in my books, I just can't pick a favorite. I love them both.

I have no real problems with Jedi, I just prefer the first two.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Rewatching the OT recently and they are all silly. ESB is good because of the drama and tension. ANH is good for the characters. Jedi is good for the resolution but it is probably the weakest.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

ESB isn't a perfect film, but it is as good a sequel as anyone could hope for in any franchise. It also does more to establish what Star Wars is in terms of characters, plot, music, themes, and feel than anything else. It gets hyped to hell and back, but for the most part, it deserves it.

For me though, I put RotJ above ANH in my personal ranking. The Endor and Ewok parts are definitely a drag on the film, but the Throne Room parts are so strong they carry the movie in my opinion. Jabba's Palace is also enjoyable even if it is a fluff piece.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Canemacar posted:

ESB isn't a perfect film, but it is as good a sequel as anyone could hope for in any franchise. It also does more to establish what Star Wars is in terms of characters, plot, music, themes, and feel than anything else. It gets hyped to hell and back, but for the most part, it deserves it.

For me though, I put RotJ above ANH in my personal ranking. The Endor and Ewok parts are definitely a drag on the film, but the Throne Room parts are so strong they carry the movie in my opinion. Jabba's Palace is also enjoyable even if it is a fluff piece.

Endor and Ewoks are comparable to the sandcrawler scenes from ANH and batcave scenes from ESB. Star Wars was consistent with silly stuff. The part where Han became a jealous boyfriend is what made Endor so bad. He was totally out of character.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I like the one where Flash kills Ming the Merciless.

Edit: wait what are we talking about?

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 21, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The first part of RotJ before Luke goes back to dagobah is probably the most Flash Gordon-y the franchise ever got and is pretty good, but the movie sort of falls off a cliff after that and doesn't really recover until the throne room sequence

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Canemacar posted:

ANH did way more than ESB to establish the things you describe. It's also a better all around movie. ESB is an extended set up for Jabba Palace.

ANH is a much superior looking movie compared to the sequels. The only Star Wars with better visuals is AOTC. But of course that is the "worst" one.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

UmOk posted:

ANH is a much superior looking movie compared to the sequels. The only Star Wars with better visuals is AOTC. But of course that is the "worst" one.

Yeah, it is.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

UmOk posted:

ANH did way more than ESB to establish the things you describe. It's also a better all around movie. ESB is an extended set up for Jabba Palace.

WTF is this low effort bullshit? If you're gonna try and troll, do it right.

:cmon:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

UmOk posted:

I can certainly understand someone liking ANH more than ESB, but I don't at all see where you coming at by saying ESB is a set up for Jabba's Palace. That is, beyond the plot dictating that Han was taken to Jabba's Palace => therefore, the remaining heroes follow.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If Harrison Ford hadn't signed on for Jedi, I wonder how they would have resolved it. "Uh, they decided not to bother to save him. Here's 40 minutes of other filler material because the only thing that we really had for this movie were the Luke sections."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shiroc posted:

If Harrison Ford hadn't signed on for Jedi, I wonder how they would have resolved it. "Uh, they decided not to bother to save him. Here's 40 minutes of other filler material because the only thing that we really had for this movie were the Luke sections."

They would have failed to save him from the carbonite obviously or the process failed or some other equivalent and his death would have given the Jabba scene more weight. Lando would have taken over Han's role in the film, probably.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is Han's role in the film or trilogy isn't super important.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Canemacar posted:

WTF is this low effort bullshit? If you're gonna try and troll, do it right.

:cmon:

Personally I agree that ANH and AotC are the best looking of the movies, though I slightly prefer RotS to Attack. Phantom Menace and Empire are both good, Jedi and TFA are anemic apart from a handful of elements.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Personally I agree that ANH and AotC are the best looking of the movies, though I slightly prefer RotS to Attack. Phantom Menace and Empire are both good, Jedi and TFA are anemic apart from a handful of elements.

:agreed:

Jedi is just really lazy. Something feels "off" about the way almost every scene is shot and lit, the way the camera moves.

TFA epitomizes mediocrity. It simultaneously feels too slick and modern while also desperately trying to ape Lucas' style in a way that just falls flat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The truth is only one film in the star wars series has Sam Raimi Dolly Dutch angles. Which automatically makes it the best looking film in the series.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I'm really curious about how well Rogue One is going to do. On one hand, it's a loving star wars film and so it should automatically make a trillion dollars. On the other hand I haven't heard a single person in real life talk about it—ever!—and I hang out in nerdy circles. It could be because the election has dominated all of the conversation in the past few months, but I feel like there's more to it than that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm really curious about how well Rogue One is going to do. On one hand, it's a loving star wars film and so it should automatically make a trillion dollars. On the other hand I haven't heard a single person in real life talk about it—ever!—and I hang out in nerdy circles. It could be because the election has dominated all of the conversation in the past few months, but I feel like there's more to it than that.

It may not happen for a few years yet, but a new Star Wars film every year or even every other year will definitely have an effect on the demand for more as time goes on. Three years from now, when we've seen like 5 new Star Wars movies with no end in sight, people will be a lot less hyped for every new one to come out.

I wonder at what point they'll just say "gently caress it" and do a straight-up OT remake(please no jokes about how they already did that).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Polo-Rican posted:

My friends haven't talked about it much, but I suspect that's because there's little anxiety that it might not be good. We saw Forest Whitaker and Donnie Yen in the trailer and now everyone is pretty confident.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's weird because sometimes when I'm talking to someone about Rogue One, I say "the new Star Wars," but saying that to most people still means The Force Awakens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Star Wars, like the MCU, doesn't really need buzz or word of mouth to make a billion dollars though. I've noticed the same thing happen with the MCU, where my friends and co-workers don't really talk about or get hyped for a new movie, but in the end when its a Saturday afternoon and they're at the movies they're probably going to check out whatever the new MCU movie is. The name/brand recognition is already established, and the movies are going to be financially successful just on the back of that alone regardless of the amount of hype any one specific movie may have.

• Locked thread