Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
RIP Geo Metro/Pontiac Firefly :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Gives new meaning to the phrase "chewed it up and spit it out."

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

RIP Geo Metro/Pontiac Firefly :(

Remember in 2008 when people were paying tons of money for them?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

xzzy posted:

Why does that machine have that much power? Is it really that hard to shred poo poo?

Can't have the machine jam for every nugget from a constipated cow, can you?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

xzzy posted:

Why does that machine have that much power? Is it really that hard to shred poo poo?

Welcome to agricultural implements. Watch your fingers.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

OSHA.jif

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

Welcome to agricultural implements. Watch your fingers.

I'm more confused about the disconnect between farmers always bitching they have no money, and then buying machinery so overbuilt it can be used to shred a car.

Like, if you were hard up for cash.. wouldn't you buy the lower end model that shreds poo poo and nothing else?

Unless it's just a product demo video from the company that built the thing, which I guess would make more sense.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

I'm more confused about the disconnect between farmers always bitching they have no money, and then buying machinery so overbuilt it can be used to shred a car.

It's just like how people making $40k are bopping around in E-klasses.

Finance is loving incredible these days.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

Like, if you were hard up for cash.. wouldn't you buy the lower end model that shreds poo poo and nothing else?

Unless it's just a product demo video from the company that built the thing, which I guess would make more sense.

Farm bills! It's not welfare :downs:!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm not sure in the case of that spreader, but a lot of farm implements don't have their own power source and instead are driven off a tractor's PTO. Diesel engine geared down to lowish RPM = more torque than anybody needs for anything.

The prices on agricultural stuff is insane though. And

iospace posted:

Farm bills! It's not welfare :downs:!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5RrGFBbbSY

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

The thing you're missing is that overbuilt thing the farmer buys will be in service for the next 50-60 years. (Because the farmer's mortgaged out his rear end and it'll still be getting paid off until then.)

Farmers never get rid of gear that's even remotely workable.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

xzzy posted:

One thing that's quite common (or at least in my area) is two or more farmers chipping in to buy equipment and then sharing it over the course of the season.

This also means that, so long as everyone is in agreement, stuff like servicing costs get greatly reduced.

Unless Patrick crashes the Combine, then it's all on his arse. Stupid loving oval office.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well ive got a brand new combine harvester and ill give you the key

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

Remember in 2008 when people were paying tons of money for them?

My girlfriend's ex stepdad has 9 of them on his property.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well ive got a brand new combine harvester and ill give you the key
You're the fucker who drove his tractor through my haystack last night, aren't you?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Falken posted:

Unless Patrick crashes the Combine, then it's all on his arse. Stupid loving oval office.

Hahaha

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

My girlfriend's ex stepdad has 9 of them on his property.

He'll be rich next time gas reaches $5/gallon!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

He'll be rich next time gas reaches $5/gallon!

So, late January.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I don't know if this belongs here, but it is oddly satisfying

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~
I had a quick look, I couldnt see if this was posted or not: Project Binky Teaser Episode 14 - "Not long to wait now. Binky is back on November 25th at 8.00pm GMT!"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bollocks

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Door Frame posted:

I don't know if this belongs here, but it is oddly satisfying

The way of shipping the cars is awesome.

The cars themselves are not (Chevy Vega :gonk:)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

iospace posted:

The way of shipping the cars is awesome.

The cars themselves are not (Chevy Vega :gonk:)

Hey, those aluminum block engines were good for at least 30,000 miles :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I guess the cars were shipped without fluids then, huh

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sagebrush posted:

I guess the cars were shipped without fluids then, huh

nope, fluids were in there! They designed the engine to allow the vertical shipment with a couple other things set up to allow it (battery, windshield wash fluid). Basically they could get more of them on a single rail car than a traditional tri-level autorack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Vega#Vertical_rail_transport

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Deteriorata posted:

Hey, those aluminum block engines were good for at least 30,000 miles feet :colbert:

There you go.

I had a friend in high school who had a Vega. It broke in half at the firewall.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

KingPave posted:

I had a quick look, I couldnt see if this was posted or not: Project Binky Teaser Episode 14 - "Not long to wait now. Binky is back on November 25th at 8.00pm GMT!"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I believe those are indeed the official terms from the IVA manual.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

nope, fluids were in there! They designed the engine to allow the vertical shipment with a couple other things set up to allow it (battery, windshield wash fluid). Basically they could get more of them on a single rail car than a traditional tri-level autorack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Vega#Vertical_rail_transport

That's pretty cool. Shame about the other bits:

quote:

Fisher's rustproofing was faulty. Failure to penetrate a gap between front fenders and cowl allowed moist debris and salt to rust the untreated steel, and trapped air prevented coating inside the tops of the front fenders, which on early Vegas had no protective liners.

The finance department had rejected liners as they would have added a $2.28 unit cost. After GM spent millions replacing thousands of corroded fenders under warranty, Chevrolet installed stopgap plastic deflectors in late 1973 and full plastic liners in 1974.
Same as it ever was.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not to mention the cost of designing and building a train car that can be used with precisely one product.

Hope the extra 12 cars they got in there offset the expenditure!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

Not to mention the cost of designing and building a train car that can be used with precisely one product.

Hope the extra 12 cars they got in there offset the expenditure!

Train cars today are pretty cheap, at least freight ones, anyway. They're beer cans, designed to pretty much be write offs if involved in an accident (which can lead to really bad poo poo, like this because they decided to be cheap instead of safe with tank cars). They'll save the trucks though because those are more durable for the obvious reasons.

That said, I think if the Vega wasn't the giant piece of poo poo it turned out to be, GM may have tried it with other cars.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which is a crying shame because the Vega has some really badass styling.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

KingPave posted:

If anyone is a Patreon you'll be getting a private youtube link 24 hours early :11tea:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

xzzy posted:

Which is a crying shame because the Vega has some really badass styling.

When I was a kid there was a dude who had a big block Vega, and a blown small block Monza at my local track.

I blame him for my horrible taste in cars.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Monzas are pretty rad, though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

That's pretty cool. Shame about the other bits:

Same as it ever was.

2017 silverado frame wax.txt

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

When I was a kid there was a dude who had a big block Vega, and a blown small block Monza at my local track.

I blame him for my horrible taste in cars.

I feel your pain. I grew up with a neighbor who had an LT1 in a fiero. It was so cool to 13 year old me. He let me cruise with him a few times. That car is AMAZEBALLS with that much power. A vega with a v8 is also the appropriate way to run those cars. There is also some vega hatchbacks in the train photo. Of which non survived rust and cash for clunkers. That is my holy grail of car's. Ive seen two in my life. The first one was rusted in half at the fenders and broken over a tower of cars. And the other one is stuck behind some dudes garage slowly rusting in piece.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

clam ache posted:

I feel your pain. I grew up with a neighbor who had an LT1 in a fiero. It was so cool to 13 year old me. He let me cruise with him a few times. That car is AMAZEBALLS with that much power. A vega with a v8 is also the appropriate way to run those cars. There is also some vega hatchbacks in the train photo. Of which non survived rust and cash for clunkers. That is my holy grail of car's. Ive seen two in my life. The first one was rusted in half at the fenders and broken over a tower of cars. And the other one is stuck behind some dudes garage slowly rusting in piece.

There was a Vega out in Vegas thar was on sale and extremely clean last year. I didn't get it because my wife said no because she hates fun and doesn't understand I'm having fun when I'm thrashing around under the hood of my cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

There was a Vega out in Vegas thar was on sale and extremely clean last year. I didn't get it because my wife said no because she hates fun and doesn't understand I'm having fun when I'm thrashing around under the hood of my cars.

Thats all women. *

*that i have met or dated.