Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what if doom was like original duke nukem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i0AYHCWRTI

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

You have limited inventory and if you dont realize it will become an issue when you are like 6 hours in

Hoo boy, thanks. I can think of like four games where I should have known this going in.

Also, thanks, everyone else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bicyclops posted:

Hoo boy, thanks. I can think of like four games where I should have known this going in.

Also, thanks, everyone else.

Also once you get to ME2, Sentinel is secretly the best class if you want to be a space wizard, Engineer being the "pure" mage class, and Vanguard is just fun.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Mass Effect Best Class List:

ME1: Infiltrator
ME2: Infiltrator
ME3: Infiltrator

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My advice would be go in with your expectations low because Mass Effect 1 kinda sucks aside from a) remembering the things you've done in the game world and b) the dialogue you choose having actual effects on the conversations you're having. 2 is where the series found its groove.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Mass Effect 2 is the only good one

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

CJacobs posted:

My advice would be go in with your expectations low because Mass Effect 1 kinda sucks. 2 is where the series found its groove.

Objection! Mass Effect was janky in a charming way and I dug its atmosphere.

Mass Effect 2 meanwhile has this short-story format that left me completely cold and I didn't care about the overarching plot this time, so I never beat it.

(basically it's up to taste, story-wise - gameplay-wise I'd argue that the jank of the first has its own appeal over the boring shootmans of the second.)

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Well nobody seems to care about KF2 coming out of early access (and with what little fanfare it had for launch, fair enough), but I took it as an excuse to collect all the footage I'd been hoarding and make a montage of... stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPw7g__dnII

I'm officially fed up with YouTube's mandatory video processing at this point, I can actually render and re-render the footage locally about 6 times over before notable deterioration but as soon as I upload it it looks like baked garbage.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CJacobs posted:

My advice would be go in with your expectations low because Mass Effect 1 kinda sucks aside from a) remembering the things you've done in the game world and b) the dialogue you choose having actual effects on the conversations you're having.

Hmm yes conversation choices having actual effects? What a delightfully quaint idea! How wonderfully absurd!

*swirls wine glass, turns back towards latest TellTale game*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Objection! Mass Effect was janky in a charming way and I dug its atmosphere.

Mass Effect 2 meanwhile has this short-story format that left me completely cold and I didn't care about the overarching plot this time, so I never beat it.

(basically it's up to taste, story-wise - gameplay-wise I'd argue that the jank of the first has its own appeal over the boring shootmans of the second.)

Well, and to be fair, only one conversation from Mass Effect 1 sticks out as my pointer for "this is a good game", whereas 2 I can't remember I single choice I made even though I do recall the whole story, so :shrug:

edit

Chomp8645 posted:

Hmm yes conversation choices having actual effects? What a delightfully quaint idea! How wonderfully absurd!

I think one thing the Mass Effect series has over Telltale's games is that the Mass Effect games aren't narrative-driven, usually you have a bunch of missions you can go do in any order. I think that lends itself much better to "your choices have effects elsewhere" than a straightforward story.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

My advice would be go in with your expectations low because Mass Effect 1 kinda sucks aside from a) remembering the things you've done in the game world and b) the dialogue you choose having actual effects on the conversations you're having. 2 is where the series found its groove.

It also has a really awesome soundtrack. Still the only ME I ever played, though I've been meaning to get back to it. The whole trilogy was in a PSN flash sale a while back for something like $5, so even if I'm not super into them that's still worth playing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When I played through the Mass Effect series I first chose Adept because why go for a gun-focused character that I could play as in a million other games and cover shooters? But by ME3 I got sick of my AI teammates and using my powers from far away and I ended up as a super aggressive run 'n' gun character using melee and shotguns and shields tear through enemies.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CJacobs posted:

I think one thing the Mass Effect series has over Telltale's games is that the Mass Effect games aren't narrative-driven, usually you have a bunch of missions you can go do in any order. I think that lends itself much better to "your choices have effects elsewhere" than a straightforward story.

I agree with you, and will go even farther by saying that one thing the Mass Effect series has over Telltale's games is that it is good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Chomp8645 posted:

I agree with you, and will go even farther by saying that one thing the Mass Effect series has over Telltale's games is that it is good.

Hey now, their adventure games aren't all bad. Tales from the Borderlands and TWD Season 1 are great! It's just, uh, everything else that's bad. Especially Game of Thrones. Jesus christ Telltale's Game of Thrones.

edit: Excluding Batman: The Telltale Series, which is crazy super good, miles above the rest.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mass effect 2 is super simple and boring. every planet design is the same straight corridor with the same three merc guilds/robots. the skill tree is more like a skill sapling in that it's completely linear and pointless, like a real sapling. there's literally a part where you hang out with the lower decks crew and they say "let's play poker" and then the screen literally goes to black and a text box comes up that literally says "you won the poker game" which was the most mass effect 2 moment to me. mordin says funny stuff

5/10

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

oddium posted:

mass effect 2 is super simple and boring. every planet design is the same straight corridor with the same three merc guilds/robots. the skill tree is more like a skill sapling in that it's completely linear and pointless, like a real sapling. there's literally a part where you hang out with the lower decks crew and they say "let's play poker" and then the screen literally goes to black and a text box comes up that literally says "you won the poker game" which was the most mass effect 2 moment to me. mordin says funny stuff

5/10

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Saplings are not pointless. Think carefully , skeleton , life ahead :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My favorite part in ME2 was when a bug emissary, who existed because of a choice I made in ME1, showed up just tell me "hang on, we're coming! But not until ME3 lol!" I spare a bug one game, then the next game bug says "thanks for saving me", then the NEXT GAME AFTER THAT bug is all like "BAM POINTS ON YOUR WARSCORE". This is the kind of choice reverberation the world of RPGs was made for.

Move over Obsidian!!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

To elaborate - Mass Effect 1 felt like a jrpg ala Final Fantasy XII with the menu-based combat replaced with...gun-driven menu-based combat. It has a crazy amount of sidequests and everyone has something weird to say and you have the gigantic city/hub to run around in, and the plot meanders until the universe is in danger and blah blah blah

So it feels like this fun Final Fantasy sci-fi knock-off that was fun for me. I've been through it twice, and I'm still charmed by all of its ridiculous plot beats and characters and yes, I let the alien queen live every time.

The ending's even this fantastic "the galaxy has been saved and now the adventure continues" and I mean, it's cheesy, but it's this charming cheesy where you feel good playing it, and the gameplay is satisfying in how you can literally throw around the biggest geth tanks by the end if you went full psychic.

So - yeah there's jank, the inventory system is bad, you will hear the mako's engine everywhere you go after exploring planets, you will get sick of fighting the same dudes over and over again - but to me that just added up into this experience that was a solid, eh, 7/10. Not great, not bad, but charming and I'd cheerfully go back into it again.

So with that above in mind, I opened up Mass Effect 2 and the plot opens with the upsetting "you know how you were a badass last game and had this cool ship and stuff? no. let's make it edgy. You're now dead/undead, you're the pawn of this terribly creepy organization, and the universe has gone back to hell. And people are being kidnapped/vanished. Go solve the mystery! - but after you get the band back together and guess what, they all fell apart without you around."

It's terribly jarring going from optimistic central to this new foreign ship and how...upsetting the place has become, in a sense. I mean, it's not a perfect setting, but it felt darker in this unpleasant way that I wasn't enthused about. And then the gameplay itself threw out cool psychic jank for more gun-focused stuff, and ehhhh no thanks. And they stripped out the Mako so the galaxy feels even more cramped than before - instead of this expansive ridiculous world, it's this series of setpieces.

To sum up, I went from Star Control 2-lite to...whatever Mass Effect 2 is. Not my kind of game, and it may be a long while before I fire it back up and give it a proper swing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

in mass effect 1 you go to the moon because a training ai has gone rogue and then at the end as you shut it down a text box appears with some binary sequence. they don't tell you what it means but if you look it up it's like "HELP" or something

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

shepard: garrus... here we are at the end of mass effect 1, you having learned to let go of vengeance and your sordid past. now it is mass effect 2 and your arc is the exact same

garrus: scoped and dropped, mate

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The part where someone's like "Shepard... but you died!" and you can respond with basically "yeah that's been happening a lot recently" is like my favorite line in the whole series.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqBXQVxS-qk

careful cortez

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

oddium posted:

shepard: garrus... here we are at the end of mass effect 1, you having learned to let go of vengeance and your sordid past. now it is mass effect 2 and your arc is the exact same

garrus: scoped and dropped, mate

Mass Effect 1: "wow good work Tali. You're a valued team member towards which I have no romantic attachment at all"

Mass Effect 2-3: *Fan-service intensifies*

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I liked the sniper robot. He was my friend.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i got the eu4 achievement for unifying japan as a daimyo... yatta...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

Mass Effect 1: "wow good work Tali. You're a valued team member towards which I have no romantic attachment at all"

Mass Effect 2-3: *Fan-service intensifies*

What's the point of having a crew if you can't bang them all?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I liked mass effect 2 being darker and more upsetting bc mass effect 1 was this star trek future that had really unpleasant poo poo like cerberus and the genophage lurking on the periphery and mass effect 2 was very deliberately about forcing shepard to engage with and face that poo poo; it felt like a thoughtful sequel

mass effect 3 on the other hand, ew

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

wizard on a water slide posted:

I liked mass effect 2 being darker and more upsetting bc mass effect 1 was this star trek future that had really unpleasant poo poo like cerberus and the genophage lurking on the periphery and mass effect 2 was very deliberately about forcing shepard to engage with and face that poo poo; it felt like a thoughtful sequel

mass effect 3 on the other hand, ew

Pretty much. I liked 1 a lot but 2 was a deep dive into the nitty gritty. Some people complain that it's the one where "nothing happens." I hate saying but the fun part is the journey. If all you care about is arriving at the crappy ending of ME3 and not enjoying Martin Sheen as The Illusive Man chew up the scenery real good and going around blasting up bad guys, occasionally being the bad guy, and meeting (and occasionally screwing) space aliens, well... sorry I guess? But it was very much my poo poo.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Whaaaaaaaaaaa

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

bloodychill posted:

Pretty much. I liked 1 a lot but 2 was a deep dive into the nitty gritty. Some people complain that it's the one where "nothing happens." I hate saying but the fun part is the journey. If all you care about is arriving at the crappy ending of ME3 and not enjoying Martin Sheen as The Illusive Man chew up the scenery real good and going around blasting up bad guys, occasionally being the bad guy, and meeting (and occasionally screwing) space aliens, well... sorry I guess? But it was very much my poo poo.

Much like in the TV shows that inspired Mass Effect, the overarching plot is the bad dumb part, and the character driven vignettes are the good fun part.

I hope that someone is awake and takes a good look at the way the new Hitman sells episodic content. It'd be a great fit for the Mass Effect IP. You could lift an endless supply of Star Trek and Babylon 5 episodes, and retrofit them into couple of hour long missions revolving around the old characters. EDI puts on a deerstalker and goes Holmes. Garrus reminisces his old days as Citadel beat cop. Hire Wil Wheaton as a VA, and finally let people to fire him out of an airlock. It'd be great.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Game progress for today: Not all that much, but it is a pretty significant not much! I'm kind of in a funk because I'm gonna get a 0 on a project in one of my college courses on monday- I chose not to do it, because I found out about its existence with only a week left to work on it (I missed a couple weeks because I was ill) and I'd much rather not do it than stress myself out to tears trying to frantically get it done. I do not handle super short-notice stress very well. Plus, I'd need a DSLR to film the project, which I do not have, and I was way too late to rent one from the school. Anyway:

http://puu.sh/sol0E/2e831280d0.webm

The player can roll now! When I eventually implement health for the player (and damage), enemies will do a little bit on contact and bump you back so you can't walk through them. But when you roll, you are invincible and don't get bumped back! The rolling animation looks silly right now because I have no idea how to draw my bobble-headed dudes rolling just yet.

edit: Also, right now there are no particle effects; but when I do put some in the player will kick up dust when they're rolling, just so the player knows how long they're invincible for.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

oddium posted:

i got the eu4 achievement for unifying japan as a daimyo... yatta...

Cool. Now get the achievement for pissing away your victory with a costly invasion of Korea.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

StoryTime posted:

Hire Wil Wheaton as a VA, and finally let people to fire him out of an airlock. It'd be great.

I laughed too hard at this.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

CJacobs posted:

video game

I love the way the boss guy's hat wobbles around when he slams his sword into the ground

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

mom no

what would dad think

This was the toughest choice I've ever had to make in a video game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

aw yea starting with Ape Escape 2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Chomp8645 posted:

lol yeah in telltale choices defo matter lmao

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Super pumped for Wayne's World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

dkc trilogy relay race :eyepop:

• Locked thread