Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014
Powerstanced fists in DS2 with the Vanquisher's Seal was unstoppable in PVP, super fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I dont like looking like beef jerky, so I didn't hollow on the character I ended up wanting to bleed with

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I dont like looking like beef jerky, so I didn't hollow on the character I ended up wanting to bleed with

There's a ring for that, and everyone should build with the fourth ring slot reserved for gimmicks anyway. Or treat the rawhide face as an excuse to wear Lucatiel's Mask, which is an ideal look for a lucky duelist.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Rub Carthus Rouge on all your weapons forever

I've been having fun with the Morning Star and Flamberge. Poise + good base damage + bleed = :getin:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
How's he expansion?

Have I made a Bad Decision by mailing the Lothric knight great spear? It looks neat, but I'm kinda iffy on the damage.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

lite_sleepr posted:

How's he expansion?

Have I made a Bad Decision by mailing the Lothric knight great spear? It looks neat, but I'm kinda iffy on the damage.

It's good but only use it 2handed. It's the best pure physical damage spear in the game.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

RabidWeasel posted:

It's good but only use it 2handed. It's the best pure physical damage spear in the game.

Is it a quality spear? Should I infuse it?

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

The Lothric Knight Spear is a quality weapon, ie best at 40 str 40 dex, and it's best infused with Refined. Just like most weapons in Dark Souls 3!

(it's also super fashionable, with that small piece of cloth wrapped around the tip, so cool!)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Jordbo posted:

The Lothric Knight Spear is a quality weapon, ie best at 40 str 40 dex, and it's best infused with Refined. Just like most weapons in Dark Souls 3!

(it's also super fashionable, with that small piece of cloth wrapped around the tip, so cool!)

Literally why I'm using it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Make it refined but only go up to 26/27 strength as it scales better with dex.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
That seems odd to not go 40/40

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
27/40 is pretty common for quality, especially if you are going to be two-handing all the time.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Bleed infuse bandit dagger PvP is a trip. The phantom range on everything in this game is insane some times. But it's super satisfying when it works. Bleed out for like 500, half of most people's health. Then I have a katana to finish them off.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

That seems odd to not go 40/40

You should almost never 1hand it and the strength scaling is nowhere near worth going to 40 strength for; the 1hand moveset is incredibly slow and lovely. It's not like with curved swords where there are actually good reasons to go to 40 strength use the 1handed moveset occasionally.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

MarshyMcFly posted:

There's NEVER enough blood paste you can buy. You will never have an infinite supply of it.

I may be missing part of the discussion here but, the handmaiden sells infinite Carthus Rouge once you give her the Ashes you get in the Catacombs.

Is that not what you meant?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

HaB posted:

I may be missing part of the discussion here but, the handmaiden sells infinite Carthus Rouge once you give her the Ashes you get in the Catacombs.

Is that not what you meant?

They are 1000 souls each, they get expensive as hell if you keep on using them every match.

Sard
May 11, 2012

MarshyMcFly posted:

They are 1000 souls each, they get expensive as hell if you keep on using them every match.

You can get 5000~+ souls in about 20 seconds at the Lothric Castle bonfire, it really trivializes any souls expense in the game.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Or go beat a boss or two, and go through NG+. It's hard to rely on Carthus Rouge for every encounter when you still need souls for levels and weapon upgrades, but once you've reached level 120, or 80, or 140, or whatever you're going for, you'll have more souls than you can spend in my experience

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Jordbo posted:

Or go beat a boss or two, and go through NG+. It's hard to rely on Carthus Rouge for every encounter when you still need souls for levels and weapon upgrades, but once you've reached level 120, or 80, or 140, or whatever you're going for, you'll have more souls than you can spend in my experience

That's what I'm saying. Its hard to rely on carthus rouge because it's an expensive consumable that I need on my luck build character to fully optimize his damage. It costs 1000 souls each which is more than most arrows, great arrows, and firebombs. I also don't want have to grind for souls every other arena match in order to get a few full stacks. Now if there was a spell that castes carthus rouge I would ditch that poo poo and cast it every match! Maybe there will be a new spell like that in the next dlc!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Was the B team responsible for the expansion?

Because it's extremely lovely.

It screams the DS 2 B team because it seems very lazy right now. The first 20 minutes of this expac I spent dodging an unending horde of zippy, twitchy wolves that alert every other wolf in the game to your exact 10 digit grid coordinates. All while dodging spears and M1 flame thrower men.

And then Sif's gnarly alcoholic grandpa showed up and Fus Ro Da'd me into an area with the giant nordmen from Wrath of the Litch King. In this area, I went from small Farron Followers who I could 2-3 shot with my +10 dark sword to being 2-3 shot myself. Each of these mobs is as strong as Judge Gundyr.

gently caress that area, I'll go up and to the left after the world falls out from under me. Oh, hahaha what was I thinking. It's full of witch trees and packs of wolves. I started to get the hang of the wolves and was able to dispatch them in 2 hits, but then I turned around. The sky was full of tiny lights like fireflies over a lake. Then they hit me and I realized their homing fireballs cast by the witch trees. They will follow you from one end of the map to the other. I'm prone to hyperbole, but I am not exaggerating when I say the sky was aflutter with tiny fire balls. It was like a race of fae folk had MIRV technology and went DEFCON 1 on my chin, all While I'm chased by infinite wolves.

And *SNOW* for hectares. You can't see.

What a mess.

Sard posted:

You can get 5000~+ souls in about 20 seconds at the Lothric Castle bonfire, it really trivializes any souls expense in the game.

:allears:

Go on...

CJacobs posted:

"The B Team" is a myth.

Dark Souls 1 was by Miyazaki and Fromsoft. Dark souls 2 was done by a team from Sony/Japan Studio, and had zero to do with Miyazaki, c/d?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 20, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"The B Team" is a myth.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If the team that did DS2 did the dlc for DS3 then it would have been awesome.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

lite_sleepr posted:

Dark Souls 1 was by Miyazaki and Fromsoft. Dark souls 2 was done by a team from Sony/Japan Studio, and had zero to do with Miyazaki, c/d?

Can deny with 100% certainty because why in the world would Sony be making a game that was developed primarily for the PC and also was on Xbox

Bloodborne was developed primarily by a team from Sony/Japan Studio with the design team from FromSoft.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

lite_sleepr posted:

Some extremely dumb poo poo.

No.

Ironically one of the most common sentiments expressed about Dark Souls 3 is "Bring back the B-Team" so congrats on being a black sheep at least. It's FROM all the way down though, the idea that Dark Souls 2 was cobbled together by a misfit group of hacks has been grossly exaggerated.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 20, 2016

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Plus everything aside, while Miyazaki wasn't director on Dark Souls 2, he was a supervisor. He was probably responsible for getting the game's first director taken off from the project because he was way too ambitious and running the game into the ground and getting Tanimura to reign it in.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The DS2 DLC was all really good and better than Ashes of Ariandel, which is still good but easily the worst Souls DLC.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Please, refer to him as Miyazaki-sama, as I do

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I guess if I had to stack all the DLC and judge them then this would come at the bottom, but that's more because the strength and scope of the other games DLCs was so great. It might be the worst Souls DLC but it's still a drat good DLC, in my opinion. It's really beautiful, has some cool new gear (I'm loving this throwing spear), some neat encounters, and a story that leaves you wanting more.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah I'm really enjoying it but it's because 3 is the first souls game where I'm really interested in the pvp and the arena is just so convenient.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

AttackBacon posted:

No.

Ironically one of the most common sentiments expressed about Dark Souls 3 is "Bring back the B-Team" so congrats on being a black sheep at least. It's FROM all the way down though, the idea that Dark Souls 2 was cobbled together by a misfit group of hacks has been grossly exaggerated.

If by 'common sentiments' you mean 'in my own bad brain', then sure.

The only thing I could enjoy from DS2 would be health gems.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Just strap on every +souls item you have (Shield of Want, Symbol of Avarice, Silver Serpent Ring, etc), equip an upgraded mace, run up to the Lothric knight right next to the bonfire and piss him off. Use the mace weapon art to tank through his hits and spam r1 until he dies, giving you around 5000 souls. Sprint back to the bonfire to heal and reset the knight, repeat until you're wildly rich. You can get enough souls to get enough twinklies to bring an item to +4 in about a half hour.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The archdragon knight is probably better for that

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Sard posted:

Just strap on every +souls item you have (Shield of Want, Symbol of Avarice, Silver Serpent Ring, etc), equip an upgraded mace, run up to the Lothric knight right next to the bonfire and piss him off. Use the mace weapon art to tank through his hits and spam r1 until he dies, giving you around 5000 souls. Sprint back to the bonfire to heal and reset the knight, repeat until you're wildly rich. You can get enough souls to get enough twinklies to bring an item to +4 in about a half hour.

The 3 gold winged knights on top of the archives will net you 14,500 - 17,500 souls each. With shield of want and serpent ring, I was getting 54k each run of 3, on average of about 4 minutes per run. I was getting about 1.05mil souls an hour before I got bored.

I got bored in 45 minutes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Gold Knights are easily the best source of souls in the game, and the safest, since Rapport can turn them into punching bags for the duration.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Is there confirmation on how the arena badges work? I haven't done that much dueling and I think I'm probably over .500 but not by that much and I have a gold badge for some reason and I've done a lot of team battles and brawls and I think I have a pretty good record in those and I'm stuck at silver.

I usually don't care about those things like that but if I'm close to being gold I want to be gold.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
https://youtu.be/C0krBUOu31w

is it bad for me to say that i hope this guy doesnt get popular, just because of how ridiculously good his strats/builds are

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Sperglord Firecock posted:

is it bad for me to say that i hope this guy doesnt get popular, just because of how ridiculously good his strats/builds are

I literally just watched this video and came here to ask a question on the calculation for AR for the crystal chime, because I wanted to run a GFS variant of this build without max int/faith. I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the damage on the Witch's Locks weapon art, I never realised it could hit so hard and that the last hit has so much range.

Anyway if anyone knows how much spell adj a +5 Crystal Chime at min stats has that would be cool.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sperglord Firecock posted:

That guy's builds are fantastic, I'm not denying it, but they do always have weaknesses, which to be fair to him he does always outline. I would say their primary advantage is that they are currently unique and rare. I will say that he deserves commendation for trying new ways to exploit Dark Souls 3's system.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Jesus christ what is the range on that whip's WA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Would... would yorska's spear counter great magic shield? Does the weapon art work through blocking? It seems like the only reliable way to deal with it, especially one relying on witch locks weapon art, would be to drain their mana.