Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Jason Sextro posted:

speaking of nice, how was your last conversation with your parents?

It was lovely, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7257216/#Comment_7257216

:getin:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

quote:

... in the meantime, I'll just sit on my 25k in assets and hope the game comes out and I'm not the worlds biggest fool.

Somebody needs a refund.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I wonder if he would accept a space door or coffee machine as a refund?

Also, does anyone think that the bad leather jacket that the 'Jermmy Clarkson' dude was wearing in the stupid ads/pretend show was the one that Roberts spent a day on? Cos it look very poo poo to me which makes me think it's had plenty of personal attention from the Chris.

I can't remember if there was a head to toe shot of him to show us shoes designed by the best shoes designer in the galaxy since she was a little girl.

I'm a lame newbie otherwise I would have added pictures to this post but I'm to lame to know how (still more qualified to make modern computer games than Chris Roberts thought - I can be FreeCell almost 1 out of every 6 tries, almost :colbert:, 1 out of 9 without my Mum helping)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hey Steve, what's the development team been working on for the last 2 months?

Oh hi Chris, we've been working on code.

Code? Oh good job Steve that's what we're paying you for after all *writes "code" on the roadmap for the last 2 months*

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
They made $1.5 million* in the first couple of days of the sale. Shitizens are so credulous they just might prop this thing up for years to come. There's still no game coming at the end though.

:hist101: "Star Citizen, may you live forever."

*according to the funding tracker, anyway

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

XK posted:

quote:

... in the meantime, I'll just sit on my 25k in assets and hope the game comes out and I'm not the worlds biggest fool.
Somebody needs a refund.
Don't worry my friend. Wesha would be more than happy to let you know there's a bigger fool.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
We need a word for something worse than a scam.

Also I'm starting to come round to Derek's way of thinking, if you'll fall for something this obvious, losing the money might be an important life lesson.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7258517/#Comment_7258517

8-10 bullets to kill someone with medium armor.

So, 15-20 with heavy?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7258538/#Comment_7258538

lol

E:

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

MeLKoR posted:

e: gently caress, am I the only only that once in a while gets this poo poo "blob:ht_tps://imgur.com/da372de1-3886-4f8e-af24-01a2edc16bb7" instead of the link when uploading images?

I get that too. Then I need to click it a second time to get the right address.
I'm not sure yet if a short wait before opening the direct link, also helps.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

AP posted:

Also I'm starting to come round to Derek's way of thinking, if you'll fall for something this obvious, losing the money might be an important life lesson.

Old backers I can sort of understand - they got the whole sunk cost / dreams / years of indoctrination etc on top of their un/diagnosed social problems but the new backers, the guys that get on at this floor, they have to be the stupidest loving people on the internet.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Wise Learned Man posted:

They made $1.5 million* in the first couple of days of the sale. Shitizens are so credulous they just might prop this thing up for years to come. There's still no game coming at the end though.

:hist101: "Star Citizen, may you live forever."

*according to the funding tracker, anyway

Anyone have a guess as to what their burn rate is?

vv: Sounds reasonable. So this sale keeps the clown show rolling for another couple of weeks or so

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 20, 2016

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ZekeNY posted:

Anyone have a guess as to what their burn rate is?

The number that pops up the most is 3-4 million dollars per month. That's based on Frontier Developments burn rate, which is public information, and can be backed up by some simple estimations:

500 employees x 5k per month wages x 1.5 for overhead (insurance, tax, rent, buying equipment, etc) = 3,750,000

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

MedicineHut posted:

Yes, it seems to be primarily a crap way to simply refactor the way they totally do not want to give out promises on dates. None of those bars can be checked and controlled by the backers at all. Only the evocati, PTU and actual release milestones.

Exactly my kind of game developer, elusive and inventive. The goal is obvious, short term maximizing of community "trust" via total "transparency" so they can be squeezed out of as much pledging dosh as possible in the most important funding season of the year.

I suspect this schedule will probably have a slow death as backers realize, with time, that it is as useless and empty as Chris estimates. But as long as it can work its magic helping pledges during the holiday season over the next 4-6 weeks it would have served its purpose. If it needs to be scrapped after the new year, then it is all good.

To start with it seems the schedule has already busted one core element. Evocati 2.6 according to it was supposed to have started yesterday. False and misleading advertising has never seen so much abuse in all marketing history. It is really amazing they can get away with it so easily.

Star citizen is the last piece of software that mankind will ever need. What's a few missed dates here and there.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

My software/game dev knowledge is limited to matlab programs and little UE4 toys but even I know there is no way the tools and systems they have to make planets is workable for their scope. like it's literally impossible. You cannot have a game that is a terabyte big. I mean I don't even think a map would fit into memory

And there is no way you can handwave it away either, it's not a question of being "unoptimized", it's like trying to make a matlab script run faster by making the font size smaller. Why are citizens not screaming from the rooftops about this? The planet wasn't even fully fleshed out.... it's not procedural if the engine has to store heightmap information from hand-drawn regions... :psyduck: how are they going to populate an entire planet with points of interest and multiple little missions here and there when one little controlled demo environment is 100 gigabytes not counting every other thing in the solar system.

I'm curious to see how big the Crusader map is without any sort of planet tech they're using is, I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least ~3 gigabytes. Anyone still got this shithead of a game who can unpack the files and look? Peter?

guys help i thought deeply about the spacegame and now my brain is broken- the game will be required to ship on terabyte external hard drives hooked up via usb 3.0

Stop spreading fud

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

his nibs posted:

Apparently there's going to be two Star Marines according to Michael aka quecksilber

Star marine is actually procedurally generated in real time so each individual player can customize it to their preference by simply checking some boxes.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
is the game out yet?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

neonbregna posted:

by simply checking some boxes.
But you always have to do it in case someone's hiding there.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

neonbregna posted:

Stop spreading fud

Yeah, by the time SC is released, USB will have reached at least revision 7.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
"It drives me crazy man. Never before as a game had this level of transparency in development, and yet at the same time every time I come into the comment section for something related to this game its also loaded with comments that show how little people know about the game.

I mean, I dont blame people really, CIG has released an absolute gently caress ton of information that you cant expect everyone outside the most dedicated fans to review it all. Its mostly just frustrating because this game has had some of the most honest, transparent development of any game I've ever seen, and I feel like it gets an unusual amount of flak compared to other games that just release carefully crafted trailers, and keep a tight lock on what gets shown to the public before release."
:kiddo:

Chris Ihao
Aug 20, 2016

Thats Professor Elemental, my dear Watson

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:heysexy:

He's not who he says he is, so he may actually be a 34 yo Norwegian woman :pray:

I'm in FACT Norwegian, so I'll keep an eye out for this "Delores" dude/14 yo. manga girl.

That reminds me; I want to see some gits sac today since its my birthday. The laughing man beckons. Hello laughing man.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Yea the whole "this game will be a terabyte+" is what makes it a scam for me. The other stuff you can handwave away as "well technically can refactor to make it good eventually".

But this is a hard show stopper issue that should be extremely obvious to everyone there. Its not feasible the way they are doing planets and will need to be started from scratch.

Every other game of similar size procedurally generates the map as you go to keep filesizes managable. CIG procedurally generates the planet, fancy it up with artwork, and then stores it in memory as a map. Its simply not possible to create a large space game this way with current technology, not even in the near future. And they want to fill each planet with hours and hours of content. The barebones planet they had for the demo was 10G.

The dreamers on Reddit and stuff keep saying things like "Well they can procedurally generate a planet, add handcrafted assets, and its in the game. They can pump these up superfast with the high fidelity when the pipeline is in". YOU CANNOT DO THAT, IT DOES NOT FIT IN MEMORY, THE GAME WILL BE MINIMUM A TERABYTE+ EVEN WITH OPTIMIZATIONS, THE TECHNOLOGY TO DO THIS DOES NOT EVEN THEORETICALLY EXIST YET.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Star Citizen: We'll have real spaceships by the time this game finished

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

every so often we are reminded why derek is considered a warlord.

star citizen loyalists, fake nordic girls and coke machines - beware

Also, coke-snorting machines.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So didnt they say they had like 370 something people working on SC right now? Does this include the art sweat shop? That'd be close to 40m in cost a year than the 30 we've been on about

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

a Chrisploitation

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Yea we can make educated guesses all we want on the amount of money left but at the end its just an educated guess. I think theres enough info out there to definitively say they've spent 3/4s of it, almost certainly more.

But the real sign they are nearly out of money is all this new money only, sell limited ships, BUY NOW stuff.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Discounts for cold hard cash!

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
The 4 new variants are kinda genius. No engineering debt as its literally a camo-skin + a different weapon loadout (in supposedly customizable ships wtf) for like a 40 dollar surcharge.

In the "making of camo" video the dev even said they wanted to give all the camo functionality to the user soon. So that'll need to be scrubbed because why pay a giant premium for a free camo and a loadout that's supposedly customizable.

SCAM.

How come no citizen has thought about this for more than 3 seconds. This doesn't require trusting leaks, taking DS's word for anything, or even being super cynical. The entire concept makes 0 sense and is completely the opposite of everything they've sold so far. Its right in your loving face.

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 20, 2016

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Tane

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

GODDAMN RIGHT

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
By the way I think you have enough Tanes posted you can quote your thread post history link in goonlulz and itll be funny now.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Is there anyway to generate a nude Tane?

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
Lol Derek

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

TheLightPurges posted:

Yea we can make educated guesses all we want on the amount of money left but at the end its just an educated guess. I think theres enough info out there to definitively say they've spent 3/4s of it, almost certainly more.

But the real sign they are nearly out of money is all this new money only, sell limited ships, BUY NOW stuff.

Yeah, and that schedule they are showing off for 2.6 that has a boatload of complex stuff all finishing at the same time, then two weeks of testing followed by a Dec 8th release. Hitting that date is going to put everybody under an insane amount of pressure. They could push it back a couple of weeks and still get it in every bodies hands in time for the holiday. They just need it out before everybody spends their christmas cash.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hi everyone, this is just a quick reminder that doxxing people and internet detective bullshit, including posting people's Facebook pages and making giant insane posts where you track down their internet presence, is extremely against the rules. I generally don't get involved with the SC forum, but yeah. Seriously. Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye on this place for a bit until you get a new mod.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Someone photoshop 'Here Lies Phillip J Fry. First Martian and first to play Star Citizen'.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hi everyone, this is just a quick reminder that doxxing people and internet detective bullshit, including posting people's Facebook pages and making giant insane posts where you track down their internet presence, is extremely against the rules. I generally don't get involved with the SC forum, but yeah. Seriously. Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye on this place for a bit until you get a new mod.

MoMA! MoMA!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Milky Moor posted:

Is there anyway to generate a nude Tane?

Only unprocedurally.

Also, gigglesnort! :roflolmao:
FactsAreUseless is obviously of the hard-G GIF camp.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Rest in Parp, Derek.

• Locked thread