Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

can't believe people are praising jim harbaugh when brady hoke clearly did all the work

I would say like 10-20% of Michigan fans honestly say things like this even though they love Harbaugh. It's pretty baffling.

While Hoke was good at acting like a nice guy, he also had a habit of actually acting like an rear end in a top hat to the press, the fans, and the whole Shane Morris disaster. At least Charlie Strong seems like an honestly nice guy. Bad coach though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Strong's a great coach. He seemed like a good fit for Texas, but that defense, man

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Strong's a great coach. He seemed like a good fit for Texas, but that defense, man

I don't think anyone who know the climate at Texas thought he was a good fit. I am fairly certain if you go look through the thread, a lot of us -- including me -- said it was going to be a big flop because he does not have the personality for that job.

--

So let's see Big XII openings:

Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
Kansas State

Gonna be a fun off season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Kansas State

Just gonna guess this every year until it happens I take it?

K State apparently just got a new school president that Snyder absolutely loves and helped shame out of retirement. I doubt it'll be this year barring health issues or something.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Grittybeard posted:

Just gonna guess this every year until it happens I take it?

K State apparently just got a new school president that Snyder absolutely loves and helped shame out of retirement. I doubt it'll be this year barring health issues or something.

The word I've heard is he wants to get 200 then turn it over to his son.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't think anyone who know the climate at Texas thought he was a good fit. I am fairly certain if you go look through the thread, a lot of us -- including me -- said it was going to be a big flop because he does not have the personality for that job.

How does his personality make it so that he can't put together a defense that doesn't give up 50 points to everyone they play? People thought he'd be a bad fit because he wouldn't schmooze the boosters and take the public facing parts of the job seriously enough, not because his teams would be hopeless garbage.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

big money big clit posted:

How does his personality make it so that he can't put together a defense that doesn't give up 50 points to everyone they play? People thought he'd be a bad fit because he wouldn't schmooze the boosters and take the public facing parts of the job seriously enough, not because his teams would be hopeless garbage.

I think it all plays in together. There's so many distractions and poo poo and he doesn't like and I don't think is happy. He's a good coach, and he's going to be a hell of a DC for someone next year, but yeah there's just no excuse for how awful his teams have looked at times.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The word I've heard is he wants to get 200 then turn it over to his son.

KState doesn't want to hire his son and he is going to stay and outlive them all out of spite

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Texas Tech

75% chance Kliff is at Tech next year. His buyout is massive.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

75% chance Kliff is at Tech next year. His buyout is massive.

That's what I wondered, but wasn't 100% sure.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's what I wondered, but wasn't 100% sure.

Yup. Tech can't afford the buyout and a new coaching staff, otherwise that loss would have gotten him fired.

Get blown out by Baylor next week and that might change.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
If you're going to lose anyway, wouldn't you at least like to have a good looking coach?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Yup. Tech can't afford the buyout and a new coaching staff, otherwise that loss would have gotten him fired.

Get blown out by Baylor next week and that might change.

I just looked and lmao 17m? loving really?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bob Stoops could only win it all with Blake's players.

He's had 15 years to do this again...

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
For sale: One Da Coach O

Rarely used. Near mint condition

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'd seriously make fun of the Tech situation to the boosters I know but we just lost to Kansas sooooooo

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I just looked and lmao 17m? loving really?

Down to 9.4m now.

17m was the start of his contract extension, 6 years, 22m, 17m guaranteed. Next year it'll be down to 6m or 3m (depending on how that all works), and that's more affordable.

Our donors are tapped right now after starting construction on the IPF/ITF, so that makes it even harder to get the money to fire him.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Doing some reading around, it looks like rumors are that Baylor is looking at both Herman and Chad Morris?

As big a fan as I am of Chad Morris, does he really have the stock for a job that big yet? I could see him going to Houston after Herman goes to UT/LSU... But I dunno about Baylor.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Scarf posted:

Doing some reading around, it looks like rumors are that Baylor is looking at both Herman and Chad Morris?

As big a fan as I am of Chad Morris, does he really have the stock for a job that big yet? I could see him going to Houston after Herman goes to UT/LSU... But I dunno about Baylor.

You're giving Baylor way too much credit

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Down to 9.4m now.

17m was the start of his contract extension, 6 years, 22m, 17m guaranteed. Next year it'll be down to 6m or 3m (depending on how that all works), and that's more affordable.

Our donors are tapped right now after starting construction on the IPF/ITF, so that makes it even harder to get the money to fire him.

Ah, that's more understandable. Kind of where we were last year. Some of our dumber fans hope someone takes Holgo of our hands, but I am not sure where he'd land.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You're giving Baylor way too much credit

Yeah maybe. I dunno, 2 years at SMU to Baylor just seems like a big leap. Good for him if they make him an offer though. He definitely suits their style of offense...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Scarf posted:

Baylor has issues so they're going to have to go after a guy that's so hungry for a P5 HC job that they'll risk their career going down the drain if they can't withstand 2 lost recruiting classes and potential sanctions down the road.

Chad Morris is early enough in his tenure at SMU that he's not really on many people's radars (other than being due to his reputation). SMU's looking like they're going to turn around, but he needs 1 more year of equal improvement to be a hot commodity.

I could see them trying for Morris or even going for Willie Fritz and trying to sell 3-8 at Tulane in year 1.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Baylor has issues so they're going to have to go after a guy that's so hungry for a P5 HC job that they'll risk their career going down the drain if they can't withstand 2 lost recruiting classes and potential sanctions down the road.

Chad Morris is early enough in his tenure at SMU that he's not really on many people's radars (other than being due to his reputation). SMU's looking like they're going to turn around, but he needs 1 more year of equal improvement to be a hot commodity.

I could see them trying for Morris or even going for Willie Fritz and trying to sell 3-8 at Tulane in year 1.

Yeah -- though I don't know if Baylor knows that they're not going to land a big name.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^ they can go after anyone they like, depends on who tells them "no"

Personally, I think they wind up with Phillip Montgomery and hope that no one notices that he was on the Baylor staff during the worst of their rape culture.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ah, that's more understandable. Kind of where we were last year. Some of our dumber fans hope someone takes Holgo of our hands, but I am not sure where he'd land.

Tech prolly would go after him. Though if Tech does wind up firing Kliff, I think the hire is a DC or CEO-type G5. This year they'd hop in the PJ Fleck lottery or take a look at Craig Brohl. Venables would get a look (not sure if he hasn't been hired away because of his salary or because Skeletons). And the fanbase has a hard on for Dave Aranda, which is understandable.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Personally, I think they wind up with Phillip Montgomery and hope that no one notices that he was on the Baylor staff during the worst of their rape culture.

Right, my hunch is they're not going to land a big name because there's just a whole bunch of poo poo going on there and no one really knows how bad it might get.

kayakyakr posted:

Tech prolly would go after him. Though if Tech does wind up firing Kliff, I think the hire is a DC or CEO-type G5. This year they'd hop in the PJ Fleck lottery or take a look at Craig Brohl. Venables would get a look (not sure if he hasn't been hired away because of his salary or because Skeletons). And the fanbase has a hard on for Dave Aranda, which is understandable.

Yeah, I guessed Tech would be interested. I don't really see him getting much of a sniff at LSU or Texas. I am not overly worried cause I don't think any of the jobs coming open after that are going to be anything other than lateral moves.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tyrannosaurus posted:

All of Strong's hard work is going to be credited to whoever takes over his job.

If only some of that work had been devoted to teaching his players how to tackle.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

i am sorry but when you're texas and you have the talent they have, there's no excuse for being a middling big xii team

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

You might be making 2 different points here but for the record, PJ Fleck is a whole lot of things but in no way is he a "CEO-type" coach.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

kayakyakr posted:

HIRE BOB STITT!!!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

You might be making 2 different points here but for the record, PJ Fleck is a whole lot of things but in no way is he a "CEO-type" coach.

Fleck's an obsessive micro-manager, ain't he?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

I dunno I'm sure he has a preference for what type of offense and defense he wants but he doesn't seem like a guy who meddles a lot with the play calling or the minutia of game planning. He was a career WR coach before WMU and his big strengths are recruiting and selling the program

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OK I guess I"m thinking of "CEO type" more in terms of personality, ignore me then

From what I know he wants to be the one running all the little poo poo but I think he ultimately knows that's best left to the staff.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

Yeah, I'll admit, I don't know much about PJ Fleck aside from him doing a good job turning around WMU. I couldn't find confirmation that he was the OC/play-caller so I've just been throwing him out there as a name.

I do find it fascinating that very few head coaches are DC-style (call their own defense, lets his OC completely handle the offense), while there are a whole lot of OC-style coaches. DC's tend to convert to CEO-style once they get a HC spot.

e:

MourningView posted:

I dunno I'm sure he has a preference for what type of offense and defense he wants but he doesn't seem like a guy who meddles a lot with the play calling or the minutia of game planning. He was a career WR coach before WMU and his big strengths are recruiting and selling the program

Ah, good, I was right.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

tbf it's been a long 2 weeks for him to teach his qb system

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Wonder who will be going after Chip Kelly this offseason.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Sab0921 posted:

Wonder who will be going after Chip Kelly this offseason.

Texas

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
How many more years of 7-5 overall (2-5 in conference) is bielema going to get before he's shitcanned

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

We are hiring Saban.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I will never cease to be amazed by Kirk's buyout

FB Scoops posted:

Iowa: The Hawkeyes seventh win of the season over Illinois on Saturday means that Kirk Ferentz’s buyout in year six of his current contract will increase from 50% to 100% guaranteed, according to USA Today. The seventh win also means that Iowa will add an additional 8% to the assistant coaches salary pool for next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
it's a dumb contract but he's been good and they weren't gonna fire him anyway so whatever

• Locked thread