Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Scythes also go through (around) shields, though you'd run out of stamina long before the person blocking would, and their subsequent counter attack could probably be more lethal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Witch's Locks have been the secret best weapon for a while. They own.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bogart posted:

Witch's Locks have been the secret best weapon for a while. They own.

I keep meaning to try them but the Onyx Blade distracted me!

It's pretty amazing how the Witch's Locks have more fire damage at 40/40 than all the other whips have total damage when sharp or refined infused with appropriate stats.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
because jesus christ if you can get yourself any distance with that magic shield build, you can essentially erase any progress they made period

fishception fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 20, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So I'm finally at SL100 on my first play through

Is there any particular cap that I should stick to for PVP if I don't plan on going to ng+ anytime soon?

So far I've been using a dex build

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

BraveUlysses posted:

Is there any particular cap that I should stick to for PVP if I don't plan on going to ng+ anytime soon?

depends on how cancer you want to be

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

I think the current meta is 125 if you just care about PVP. For casual invading it should somewhere around 60-80s to hit the big populations.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

RabidWeasel posted:

I keep meaning to try them but the Onyx Blade distracted me!

It's pretty amazing how the Witch's Locks have more fire damage at 40/40 than all the other whips have total damage when sharp or refined infused with appropriate stats.

Witch's Locks are extremely good but don't sleep on the regular whips either. In particular the Notched Whip on a Bleed build is an amazing backup weapon. Bleed is already one of the effective ways of dealing with shields (including GMS) and whips being non-parryable make them great ways to close out fights safely. Notched whip on a meta Hollow build is getting up close to 400 AR (40/40/40 is like 397 iirc, SL 120 you'll be a bit lower than that unless you devote rings to it) which is plenty for a whip. The regular whips also have a nice stamina debuff on their Weapon Art which can be a pretty big deal against non-GMS turtles or heavy weapon users.

BraveUlysses posted:

SL 120 is the "meta" level but if you just care about quick matchmaking you can go all the way up to 142 and still get matchmade with SL 120 players.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Vermain posted:

The Gold Knights are easily the best source of souls in the game, and the safest, since Rapport can turn them into punching bags for the duration.

You weren't kidding.

I... I made my first YouTube video. It is very humble, no voice over because I don't know how, but the annotations are functional, and I tried to rock some colored commentary to keep the people happy.

Please... senpais.... don't be too harsh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFWBd2Dz7I0

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^^ Perfectly good video, bud. :> I usually go all the way up and make the angel knights fight amongst one another before Rapporting the last.

Someone on PS4 go and chill out by the Road of Sacrifices and let me kill you ten times so I can get the Old Wolf Curved Sword. Or just drop me it. :negative:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Another avoiding-spoilers drive by post, made it to the whatchacallit frost valley and maybe it's just my chi today but holy gently caress I'm finally having my first :allears: nice meltdown moment. Right off the bonfire I pull the first dude and kill no problem now that I've switched back to a halberd. Then trying to arrow pull the second dude he just sits there behind a shield and does the spell no way I'm going to charge in and try to take him and his buddy, so I kind of end up just spamming a bunch of arrows which takes forever. Then kill the third no problem. Up the stairs to sit and spam more arrows on the two baddies cause I don't wanna trigger the crew of poo poo around the corner. Try and pull one or two of the easy mobs but then the fire priest dude aggroes. Pull some of the mobs off him, spend forever running waayyyy back to try and fight the few others without having to worry about loving infinite range bullshit fire. Get through all that and fun, more sword dudes with an infinite range bullshit fire dude up on a ledge. Die cause it feels like I need twice as much stamina to roll through all the garbage, block the 800 sword attacks, and get my own attacks in. Good thing I spent all those points into FTH/ATT so I can throw 20 dmg lightning bolts that go 10 feet, get +2% stamina recharge, and have a heal I barely ever use. One slip-up and I go from killin dudes to losing most of my health and running most of the way back to the bonfire to be able to heal. I'm spending a lot of time shooting arrows, running away, and ragin out.

:darksouls:

e: Whew just had to complain a bit and take a breather, first shot and I'm at the 2nd bonfire.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 21, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Bogart posted:

^^ Perfectly good video, bud. :> I usually go all the way up and make the angel knights fight amongst one another before Rapporting the last.

Someone on PS4 go and chill out by the Road of Sacrifices and let me kill you ten times so I can get the Old Wolf Curved Sword. Or just drop me it. :negative:

Is there a way to farm tougnes/grass/covenants kept? If so I'd probably pay you :10bux: IRL vs. farming dark wraiths.

I'm on PS4 literally right now, raging at this DLC.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

Is there a way to farm tougnes/grass/covenants kept? If so I'd probably pay you :10bux: IRL vs. farming dark wraiths.

I'm on PS4 literally right now, raging at this DLC.

Swordgrass is easy to farm, just slap on all your luck gear, warp to the Keep Ruins bonfire, and just farm the 3 ghru standing right there over and over. I got all 30 with only about 300 luck in like... 1 hour. Just PVP for tongues unless you have no internet or something. The blue tongues that Blue Sentinels drop are worth 2 a pop, and Blues are really loving bad at PVP. Ears are way harder because you have to grind the Silver Knights on the Anor Londo stairs and they have poor drop rate and bad ease of farmability.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Arch dragon Peak is cool. Is the first boss there strictly a puzzle or can it theoretically survive the plunging attack?

If it's just a puzzle I'm totally gonna put my fist through its skull next time.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
you can fight it legit or just jump on its head. theres not much point in fighting it though since you can legit kill one later again.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Sperglord Firecock posted:

because jesus christ if you can get yourself any distance with that magic shield build, you can essentially erase any progress they made period

Can you use Duel charms in the arena? If so, that's sure to hinder his build.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Swordgrass is easy to farm, just slap on all your luck gear, warp to the Keep Ruins bonfire, and just farm the 3 ghru standing right there over and over. I got all 30 with only about 300 luck in like... 1 hour. Just PVP for tongues unless you have no internet or something. The blue tongues that Blue Sentinels drop are worth 2 a pop, and Blues are really loving bad at PVP. Ears are way harder because you have to grind the Silver Knights on the Anor Londo stairs and they have poor drop rate and bad ease of farmability.

I am 0 for 10 in invasions in the DLC area. Crack a red eye orb and it's an instant invasion, but literally everyone had at least one phantom with them.

I got lucky and got a tougne to drop from a wraith, so now I'm v pretty

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dewgy posted:

Arch dragon Peak is cool. Is the first boss there strictly a puzzle or can it theoretically survive the plunging attack?

If it's just a puzzle I'm totally gonna put my fist through its skull next time.

If you really want to, you can ineffectually bonk your sword off of its ankles until it's dead, yes.

edit: Misunderstood what you were asking. No, the fall stab always kills it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Rough Lobster posted:

Can you use Duel charms in the arena? If so, that's sure to hinder his build.

yeah but you get five. That's like one ashen estus. If you hit all of them.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The Duel Charms are pointed out as a weakness, but its a mostly trivial one because they are easy to dodge in a duel.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

That's awesome. I wonder what the dumbest weapon to use for that is. I did it with Arstor's Spear this time through, which was bad rear end, but I need something dumb next time.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
you only have 5 duel charms per fight so you can just keep casting buff over and over.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Dewgy posted:

That's awesome. I wonder what the dumbest weapon to use for that is. I did it with Arstor's Spear this time through, which was bad rear end, but I need something dumb next time.

Follower Torch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dewgy posted:

I am fairly certain you can do it bare handed. :downs:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Both good suggestions. Does the candlestick have a plunging attack? Put on the Xanthous set and take him out Clue style.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just did it with a whip. Immolation Tinder would be funny

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How do you deal with the witch's locks weapon art anyways. It has stupidly long range and the animation is so confusing I don't know when you are supposed to roll through it. I played against a guy that did nothing but spam it and lost because I couldn't figure out what timing I was supposed to be aiming for to dodge it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

How do you deal with the witch's locks weapon art anyways. It has stupidly long range and the animation is so confusing I don't know when you are supposed to roll through it. I played against a guy that did nothing but spam it and lost because I couldn't figure out what timing I was supposed to be aiming for to dodge it.

Just stay out of it's ranged and do w/e ranged attack you have available when they try and do it. Eventually they'll either give up or die.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Internet Kraken posted:

You can definitely roll through it. I got pretty good at doing it consistently once I got the timing down in one match where someone was using it. If I recall, the trick is that the hit box starts up deceptively late.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I got owned by a Meta Knight in the arena. Dude was spamming the bugged Broadsword WA and switching that out to spam running attacks on a Washing Pole. I wanted to really piss him off by spamming heals, but he managed to punish me for it every time with the running attacks. I probably just should have fought normally and won.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

https://youtu.be/C0krBUOu31w

is it bad for me to say that i hope this guy doesnt get popular, just because of how ridiculously good his strats/builds are

I've seen some people using magic shield before and they are a pain but very beatable. I was using stone flesh and casting CBV's at him when he started to attack me. I relied on trades to beat him. Magic shield doesn't deal well with trades as he said but also blocking magic attacks because I was still dealing a fair amount of damage when he blocked one of my CBV's.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Back off and plug him with three bolts from Avelyn.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

I never plunge attack the Ancient Wyvern anymore, I just can't take the pain of running through the whole area and then falling to my death because RNG/impatience :( You do decent damage as long as you hit its head, so if you can bait out the fire breath it's no big deal at all - and at least that way it's all down to skill and perseverance and not luck!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

CJacobs posted:

If you really want to, you can ineffectually bonk your sword off of its ankles until it's dead, yes.

I did not realise that when first I fought him, so I baited the fire breath by the stairs and hit him with my sword and then repeated.

Felt pretty good until I felt pretty dumb.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

https://youtu.be/C0krBUOu31w

is it bad for me to say that i hope this guy doesnt get popular, just because of how ridiculously good his strats/builds are

I used to run a Great Magic Shield + Black Knight Shield combo with some form of straight sword. Eventually people catch on but for a while you can just stomp everyone alone just on the GMS/BKS combo.

Bonus if you have your combo on a short duration. Trick opponents with a Crystal Soul Spear to the face.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Jordbo posted:

I never plunge attack the Ancient Wyvern anymore, I just can't take the pain of running through the whole area and then falling to my death because RNG/impatience :( You do decent damage as long as you hit its head, so if you can bait out the fire breath it's no big deal at all - and at least that way it's all down to skill and perseverance and not luck!

If you mess up the plunge it's not due to RNG, it's due to improper placement and not waiting for the right moment to strike.

If that boss is as big a pain in the rear end to fight as the wyvern miniboss later in the level, then lol.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

I just can't bring myself to learn the right timing when messing up means instant death :( It was a fun run the first few playthroughs but now I just prefer fighting it since I still haven't figured out when it's absolutely safe to jump

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

After his fire breath is over his head lines up to be dropped onl It's pretty simple.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3G015f0ZiY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Queue the sperglords falling over themselves to angrily correct this guy.