Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hey you shitasses. Christmas approaches.

Here's a bunch of Start Trucks gift ideas for the special fan(s) in your family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Voyager boxset is the perfect gift for someone you hate.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cojawfee posted:

Because they needed a romance between two main characters but Kirk needed to be a heterosexual horndog.

because lol he loves chasin' those green chicks am i rite????????

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shadowvine118 posted:

Was there ever an explanation for why they put Spock and Uhura together in the reboot movies?

There are a fair few instances where Uhura and Spock flirt their arses off in TOS, it didn't come out of nowhere. It's clear there was some chemistry.

That said, I think they mainly wanted to elevate Uhura to a more prominent role and when it comes to women that means sex.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Makes me ponder running a ST Secret Santa, since I already do for both the Doctor Who and Transformers threads... 🤔

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Met posted:

I think they're respectful of Gene but not shy about his faults in storytelling. They're financed by Rod Roddenberry and I always keep that in mind but I don't think that stops them from criticizing Gene.

Rod himself doesn't want Gene mythologized and prefers that his father just be remembered as a guy who had a cool idea for a scifi series and didn't give up until he got it made. I can't find the interview now but he said he wants all the stories about Gene to be told, good and bad, so people will realize that he was just a man like anyone else, it was basically the Riker and Cochrane moment from FC but posthumously.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

Rod himself doesn't want Gene mythologized and prefers that his father just be remembered as a guy who had a cool idea for a scifi series and didn't give up until he got it made. I can't find the interview now but he said he wants all the stories about Gene to be told, good and bad, so people will realize that he was just a man like anyone else, it was basically the Riker and Cochrane moment from FC but posthumously.

The problem with that is that Gene is way more bad than good and didn't really bring anything to the table other than the initial idea.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WickedHate posted:

The problem with that is that Gene is way more bad than good and didn't really bring anything to the table other than the initial idea.

Please, this thread shits on Roddenberry's grave as much as most fans would put it in a gilded mausoleum. Solow and Justman are not the final word on the man's legacy (although waiting until he was six years dead to release their "real story", they were giving it their best shot) and I don't subscribe to that "idea man" revisionism.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I mean Gene had his foibles but he gave us a fun and, importantly, optimistic view of the future that has persisted as an inspiration for decades. Now more than ever that's really something we need, the idea that humanity can be better than we are as a species, that we can overcome our worst angels, fix our worst problems, and go explore cool poo poo in space. I don't know the details of everything he did and didn't do, but I can't really think of the guy as anything other than cool and good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mister Adequate posted:

I mean Gene had his foibles but he gave us a fun and, importantly, optimistic view of the future that has persisted as an inspiration for decades. Now more than ever that's really something we need, the idea that humanity can be better than we are as a species, that we can overcome our worst angels, fix our worst problems, and go explore cool poo poo in space. I don't know the details of everything he did and didn't do, but I can't really think of the guy as anything other than cool and good.
I agree....obviously the man had his problems but everyone does, and as far as I can tell he was pretty typical for Hollywood producers from that era

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
He once gave Majel a hell of an infection going from back to front, and then cornered one of Gene Coon's assistants to tell her all about it. I'm glad they included this fact in the book I'm reading.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

MorgaineDax posted:

He once gave Majel a hell of an infection going from back to front, and then cornered one of Gene Coon's assistants to tell her all about it. I'm glad they included this fact in the book I'm reading.

Hahaha holy poo poo is this true :allears:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McSpanky posted:

Please, this thread shits on Roddenberry's grave as much as most fans would put it in a gilded mausoleum. Solow and Justman are not the final word on the man's legacy (although waiting until he was six years dead to release their "real story", they were giving it their best shot) and I don't subscribe to that "idea man" revisionism.

Honestly I don't think even Inside Star Trek goes that far, if I remember right the book says at multiple points that Roddenberry busted his rear end working on the show for the first couple of years.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MorgaineDax posted:

that must have been the inspiration for the transporter's biofilter

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Man, Kirk is really good at talking computers to death.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pakled posted:

That's why NOMAD blew itself up. To get away!

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo is this true :allears:

The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek: The First 25 Years really puts emphasis on the uncensored.

This is from Ande Richardson.

quote:

I remember seeing him with Nichelle in his office, which is when I realized, "Oh, he's been banging Nichelle." But he moved Majel into an apartment just down the street so he could go for nooners. I don't know why he had to be lecherous, looking after every woman. He came back from Japan with Majel and he said to me, "You know, Ande, you can go from the front to the back but you can't go from the back to the front. Majel's got a heck of an infection." Again, why are you telling me this? But that was him: freaky-deaky dude."

I've never heard of this woman before, but I'm really enjoying her quotes in the book. She's black and was friends with Malcolm X, MLK Jr, and Maulana Karenga, and worked as a Desilu secretary before becoming Gene L. Coon's personal assistant.

quote:

Then Gene Coon came along and he had me come in and work with him. Then one day he asked me if I'd like to work for him and give up the other job. It took a little bit for me to decide that, because I had come from working with Malcolm and Karenga and all those people, and to work for a white dude named Coon was not exactly what I was planning.

RaspberrySea fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 20, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

shadowvine118 posted:

Was there ever an explanation for why they put Spock and Uhura together in the reboot movies?

I sincerely think that the writers watched one episode of the original series and it was the first broadcast, that being the Man Trap, where Uhura spent a bit of time teasing and flirting with Spock.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 20, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gonz posted:

The Voyager boxset is the perfect gift for someone you hate.

I have a friend who loves Voyager and feels a soul bond with Kate Mulgrew

Yes it is creepy why do you ask

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

MorgaineDax posted:

The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek: The First 25 Years really puts emphasis on the uncensored.

This is from Ande Richardson.

I've never heard of this woman before, but I'm really enjoying her quotes in the book. She's black and was friends with Malcolm X, MLK Jr, and Maulana Karenga, and worked as a Desilu secretary before becoming Gene L. Coon's personal assistant.

:laffo: this is amazing, I gotta get this book

e; I know you're not talking poo poo about Asha'bellanar

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have a friend who loves Voyager and feels a soul bond with Kate Mulgrew

Yes it is creepy why do you ask

Soul bonds aside, I'm pretty sure this thread (or an earlier incarnation of it) had a bunch of stories involving goons shocked (shocked, I say) that their friends/family/loved ones like Voyager and didn't like DS9. It was doubly amusing when the very things that they liked DS9 for were why that other person didn't.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 20, 2016

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Voyager is typically preferred by people who don't like to think too hard about what they're watching

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I know some people who like Voyager because they appreciate Janeway, Seven, Kes, and B'elanna as pretty good woman characters.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

I know some people who like Voyager because they appreciate Janeway, Seven, Kes, and B'elanna as pretty good woman characters.

Seven perhaps but I wouldn't characterize the others as pretty good woman characters

Kes's deal was that she was literally a child and nobody seemed to understand the implications of that or what to do with her
B'elanna was literally just "I'm angry at everyone and everything. Forever." I still remember the episode they did about suicide focused on her and managed to make everybody involved even more un likeable
Janeway was so inconsistently written that Mulgrew started playing her as though she were bi polar or some poo poo

I'm not a woman but if I were I'd probably feel insulted if anyone thought these characters were good representations of people like me

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
They were still miles ahead of Troi and Crusher in terms of being actual characters right off the bat.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Tighclops posted:

B'elanna was literally just "I'm angry at everyone and everything. Forever."

Especially at that time, there weren't many female TV characters at all who were allowed to be consistently angry, like as a major personality trait. When I was a kid I was angry a lot and I actually did really appreciate that character for that reason.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tighclops posted:

Seven perhaps but I wouldn't characterize the others as pretty good woman characters

Kes's deal was that she was literally a child and nobody seemed to understand the implications of that or what to do with her
B'elanna was literally just "I'm angry at everyone and everything. Forever." I still remember the episode they did about suicide focused on her and managed to make everybody involved even more un likeable
Janeway was so inconsistently written that Mulgrew started playing her as though she were bi polar or some poo poo

I'm not a woman but if I were I'd probably feel insulted if anyone thought these characters were good representations of people like me

As an example;

https://twitter.com/Danielleri/status/727180874605842432

https://twitter.com/Danielleri/status/557080163154804736

There's definitely people out there who appreciate it!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
There are like 12 good episodes out of the entire show, that's brutal

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Voyager proudly carried on Gene's vision by showing how terrible female captains are.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Voyager was the series that I had the most experience with since it was on prime time when I was a kid. I only remember watching maybe five seconds of DS9.

I was aware of the other series characters, mostly through cultural osmosis like the Muppet Babies, and my school had their computer room set up in one section like the inside of the Enterprise, and they had some standees of the characters, but I didn't actually see the other shows until middle school (I did see part of Insurrection when it was in theaters while waiting for my movie to start).

I can't remember when I first learned that there are different series, or whether I was confused as to why I never saw the dude with the ears and the visor guy on the show even though they seemed like big parts of it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Voyager was the only Trek series that I got to watch while it was still in production growing up. DS9 ran alongside it of course, but my local UPN affiliate showed Voyager at 9pm on Wednesdays and DS9 at like 2am (for some hosed up reason???), so I only got to enjoy DS9 after it came out on DVD and I begged for them at a stupidly overpriced $100-per-season. Everything after Season 3 I thankfully picked up on some crazy sale at Sam's Club for like $30 each.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

with the tng episode where they loose their memories from a laser, it's pretty entertaining that worf slinked his way into the captains chair, with Picard in the ensign death seat :allears:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

There is a horde of dedicated Voyager fans who adore the show because they wanted 7 more years of TNG and Voyager is the next best thing.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Zurui posted:

There is a horde of dedicated Voyager fans who adore the show because they wanted 7 more years of TNG and Voyager is the next best thing.

I don't know Andromeda was more TNG than voyager

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dicky mouse posted:

I don't know Andromeda was more TNG than voyager

Andromeda was horrible from beginning to end. Ditto for Earth Final Cornflake.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A bunch of gay nerds I know love voyager and Janeway so so much to the point that I associate voyager with gay nerds (gerds). In the 50 year book on voyager they comment on this being a thing that gay men for some reason extra loved voyager. I don't get it but it's totally a thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Baronjutter posted:

A bunch of gay nerds I know love voyager and Janeway so so much to the point that I associate voyager with gay nerds (gerds). In the 50 year book on voyager they comment on this being a thing that gay men for some reason extra loved voyager. I don't get it but it's totally a thing.

It is indeed a thing. Any gay geek I've met over the years seemed to unabashedly love Voyager. If I pointed out that it was the worst, and it was all rehashed TNG plots they'd generally give "Oh I know, but I still love it" as a reply.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Pakled posted:

That was basically my too-short synopsis of that episode: "Kirk yells at a robot until it dies."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The_Doctor posted:

It is indeed a thing. Any gay geek I've met over the years seemed to unabashedly love Voyager. If I pointed out that it was the worst, and it was all rehashed TNG plots they'd generally give "Oh I know, but I still love it" as a reply.

As a gay Trek geek, I can tell you that this is pretty much 100% because of Kate Mulgrew. She has a pretty decently-sized gay following in general as an actor, and therefore gay geeks also love Voyager because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm straight and I loving love Kate Mulgrew.