Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Dareon posted:

As a bonus, some of his inventions could fit in this thread if they were presented differently.

I was actually really impressed how well these 2 things worked

turkey cooker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ywTcBSXAiQ

toast knife https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcjGRXTpHGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can tell this lot has been around by the artefacts:

Give corporations interest‐free, unsecured loans because you literally can’t even manage a savings account.

This is the entire thing. Use red goo. :confused:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Looks like pomegranate seeds to me. I'm not sure what the idea here is though, it's not like my problem with ants is that I'm unable to lure them into my house.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Moon Monster posted:

Looks like pomegranate seeds to me. I'm not sure what the idea here is though, it's not like my problem with ants is that I'm unable to lure them into my house.

I've seen this one before, it's been around for decades as a household hint for thrifty people. The idea is that you mix something sweet like jam, jelly, fruit juice or peanut butter with Borax. Borax is poison for ants. So the ants take the sweet treat back home to mom, and everybody dies. It works, commercial ant bait killers often contain Borax.

This tip made a lot more sense back when most housewives had Borax laying around. You can still buy it, it's pretty cheap, and one box will keep you in ant killer for the rest of your life, but it just isn't that popular these days. If you have hard water it will soften the hard water and help your laundry soap work better, it won't do much of anything if you don't have hard water. Things like Oxyclean do better job at brightening dingy whites.

Platystemon posted:

And of course without specifying that you should use borax, this lifehack seems to be telling you to throw parties for ants. Somehow this will lead you to gaining control of the ants.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

And of course without specifying that you should use borax, this lifehack seems to be telling you to throw parties for ants. Somehow this will lead you to gaining control of the ants.

Is that how Hank Pym did it? It always seemed fishy that just being ant-sized gave him the ability to control ants.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Platystemon posted:

Throw some strawberry jam on the floor to bait ants into your house #lifehack

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The hack is to put jam in your neighbour's house so all the ants go there.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
Throw some spiders in the fan like a idiot u dum piece of poo poo

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've seen this one before, it's been around for decades as a household hint for thrifty people. The idea is that you mix something sweet like jam, jelly, fruit juice or peanut butter with Borax. Borax is poison for ants. So the ants take the sweet treat back home to mom, and everybody dies. It works, commercial ant bait killers often contain Borax.

I did this when we had a huge infestation of the tiny black ants in my parents' house and it got them out of my room there, at least. it worked really well. my dad would spray the ones outside with 99% isopropyl alcohol but that only kills the ones in the immediate area.

I was going to get some for our apartment to deal with roaches, hopefully!! a decent and cheap #hacc

Barry Bluejorts
Jun 30, 2013

Now please touch your finger to the tip of your nose.
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Is nobody going to mention "Confessions of Crafty Witches"?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

The Snoo posted:

I did this when we had a huge infestation of the tiny black ants in my parents' house and it got them out of my room there, at least. it worked really well. my dad would spray the ones outside with 99% isopropyl alcohol but that only kills the ones in the immediate area.

I was going to get some for our apartment to deal with roaches, hopefully!! a decent and cheap #hacc

No joke. The development I live in was essentially built on a massive ant nest and borax cleared them out of my house. poo poo works well.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Polymetric posted:

Is nobody going to mention "Confessions of Crafty Witches"?

Lay a bread tag at each corner of the pentagram, blessed be.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

The Snoo posted:

my dad would spray the ones outside with 99% isopropyl alcohol but that only kills the ones in the immediate area.

At least they died happy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Stoatbringer posted:

At least they died happy.

Na that's ethanol you're thinking of. Isopropyls really bad at getting you drunk before getting you dead.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Isn't isopropyl alcohol the one that slowly steals your sight (permanently) while it feels like someone is driving a million red hot nail into your skull?

Asking for a friend.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

flosofl posted:

Isn't isopropyl alcohol the one that slowly steals your sight (permanently) while it feels like someone is driving a million red hot nail into your skull?

Asking for a friend.

Yeah, that's the one.

Conversely, you can filter isopropyl alcohol through charcoal (like a fish filter) a couple times and it'll be harmless. Disgusting as gently caress, but essentially harmless.

..... I heard this from a friend.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I worked out in the bush with an old timer who told me stories about dummies who would drink isopropyl and induce vomiting so their bodies could get rid of the "bad" alcohol after having already absorbed the "good" alcohol.

I don't know what happened to them next.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Your buddies all really know how to party.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

flosofl posted:

Asking for a friend.

You're thinking of methyl alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol becomes acetone when your liver's done with it; methyl alcohol becomes formaldehyde.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Drink enough of either and the difference becomes irrelevant.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

regardless of the type of alcohol used, i doubt the ants enjoyed having their bodies and eyes covered in it, and having their respiratory spiracles sucking it inside their bodies to fill their flesh with burning agony.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I saw a great show once where they were testing vodka in a spray bottle as a wasp killer. What they got was a bunch of totally shitfaced wasps flying into walls and rolling around on the floor who, several hours later, were basically fine.

Rysithusiku has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Nov 23, 2016

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hairspray does a great job of killing bugs, though, if you don't mind the sticky spray residue it leaves behind. I've done in my share of bathroom spiders this way.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I prefer canned air upside dow . Freeze em solid.
...I have black widows that have become immune to almost every poison I can get.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pham Nuwen posted:

regardless of the type of alcohol used, i doubt the ants enjoyed having their bodies and eyes covered in it, and having their respiratory spiracles sucking it inside their bodies to fill their flesh with burning agony.

I had to use isopropyl alcohol to kill and preserve fish for a project at my college. We also used clove oil to anesthetize the fish first because it would probably be incredibly cruel to kill them with the alcohol.

Rysithusiku posted:

...I have black widows that have become immune to almost every poison I can get.

Black widows are only likely to bite you when you're actively trying to squash them. Please be careful and also consider putting them in a cup and taking them outside instead.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Pham Nuwen posted:

I took a blast of 200 proof ethanol from a filter canister that wasn't tightened all the way. Drenched my shirt, it got in my eyes, and the vapors were rough to breathe in. Not much fun, but I was a little loopy for a couple hours afterwards.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Man, those Mr Gear videos on YouTube. They're all stupid, pointless and dangerous and I keep watching. It's great that he never explains what he's doing so you have no idea what he's making or why he just glued a hypodermic needle to a lighter.

I'm surprised he's not lost any fingats the number of times he's cut towards himself with a scalpel.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Black widows are only likely to bite you when you're actively trying to squash them. Please be careful and also consider putting them in a cup and taking them outside instead.

While the majority of spiders get a pass.. gently caress widows. Those things die violently and, if i have my way, painfully.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Rysithusiku posted:

While the majority of spiders get a pass.. gently caress widows. Those things die violently and, if i have my way, painfully.

That's like, literally the only way to get them to bite you

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rysithusiku posted:

If you're outdoors or in the garage, both brake cleaner and automotive electric contact cleaner seem to do an excellent job against black widows and the enormous New Mexico roaches that sometimes wander into the garage

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Aussie lifehack:
DON'T kill the deadly venomous spiders that surround you, instead why don't you try catching them with a jar instead!
Then send them to your nearest reptile centre who will happily milk it for you to produce some lovely anti-venom (which you'll need if you did the first part of the hack wrong :haw:)

Have an instructional video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oarr8ZadGg8

Helith has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Nov 24, 2016

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Helith posted:

Aussie lifehack:
DON'T kill the deadly venomous spiders that surround you, instead why don't you try catching them with a jar instead!
Then send them to your nearest reptile centre who will happily milk it for you to produce some lovely anti-venom (which you'll need if you did the first part of the hack wrong :haw:)

I live near this place and they really do need the donated spiders.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Hirayuki posted:

Hairspray does a great job of killing bugs, though, if you don't mind the sticky spray residue it leaves behind. I've done in my share of bathroom spiders this way.

I tried that, they just started singing along...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BioEnchanted posted:

I tried that, they just started singing along...

Try Cats next time, they can never pronounce "Mister Mistoffelees" correctly and die of shame.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Helith posted:

Aussie lifehack:

Our spiders arent actually deadly enough for them to give a poo poo. Only way they can kill you is if you have an allergic reaction. And then you need an epipen, not antivenom.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Lifehack: there isn't a way to post "Actually, it's Antivenin" without sounding condescending

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Helith posted:

Aussie lifehack:

Do you label your jar o' spiders when you mail it or just leave it a surprise?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Lifehack: there isn't a way to post "Actually, it's Antivenin" without sounding condescending

Including this way.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Do you label your jar o' spiders when you mail it or just leave it a surprise?

You take it to them directly. People doing this is why nobody has died of a spider bite in Australia since 1979.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

rydiafan posted:

Including this way.

Maybe I can find a lifehack that uses rubber bands, breadclips and a lemon to make me sound like less of a huge prick